Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Also we got Mando calling the lightsaber " laser sword" which was also very cool. This episode was so drat good I can't wait to watch it again.

The fact that Ahsoka cracked a smile and laughed to herself a little when he called it that was gold.

edit:

Din: "Your laser swords..."

Ahsoka:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If I remember right, cortosis wasn’t impervious to lightsabers, it deactivated them on contact, didn’t it?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Phylodox posted:

If I remember right, cortosis wasn’t impervious to lightsabers, it deactivated them on contact, didn’t it?

Yeah. Something about the energy being redirected back and shutting the lightsaber down for a bit.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Codependent Poster posted:

Might just be that pure Beskar can do that. Which is why that's so rare and such a commodity.

Beskar can do that! A lightsaber won't cut through it immediately like most things so it actually offers great protection against a Jedi. A lightsaber will cut through it if pushed against it long enough but it's a very tough material to do and would take far too long in a battle. Hence you know, hands cut off or total head decapitations. Mandos were one of the only things besides the Sith to give the Jedi a challenge. Mind you in the end even the Mandolorians for all their talent and skills plus gear are still not a much for the Jedi at both of their respective peaks. That is to say a random Jedi will beat a random Mandlorian most of the time. Sadly for the Mandos beskar is so very rare that's it almost mythical and was only found on their home world but that got dug up and used long long ago and is now scattered everywhere and nowhere. It's why they're pretty possessive over it, they consider it theirs.

Also if some guessed how this episode was going to go there was a reason for that, it got leaked, the plot structure anyways so if someone really "guessed" what would happen yeah they knew or thought they knew at the time due to the leaks, feel free to boo them.

Now I got a theory! And it's actually an old theory, that's right peeps I'm bringing back the Ezra is Snoke theory!

After they jumped into the unknown regions Thrawn and Ezra are found by the hidden Imperials and they take Ezra knowing they can do......something with him. They experiment on him, cut into his brain and with Papa Palpatine's guidance they twist and warp him into something new. Snoke. Hence the facial disfigurements and how he was a pretty powerful force user and was even confirmed to be alive at the time of the Jedi, because he was while he was Ezra. A life he really no longer remembers having becoming nothing more than a means to the end and a puppet. Plus you got to believe papa Palpatine would get off having another Jedi having fallen and used to bring death and destruction to the universe once more.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

Yea, it shorted them out. And it was completely useless for anything else. Beskar though is extremely tough.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

fartknocker posted:

Yeah. Something about the energy being redirected back and shutting the lightsaber down for a bit.

Not all the time but it could happen, but it wasn't a 100% to happen thing. Still if it did, the Jedi just lost their primary tool for several minutes and you know that's not good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The fact that Ahsoka cracked a smile and laughed to herself a little when he called it that was gold.

edit:

Din: "Your laser swords..."

Ahsoka:

This is an example of just how well Dawson channeled Ahsoka. It's totally something she'd do in the animated show too :allears:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

For the rest of the season, my guess is that it'll play out as Season 1 did - assemble the troops and fight the Empire at the end. Bo-Katan/her crew, Ahsoka, and Cara Dune will be back for sure once Gideon tracks down Mando and kidnaps Grogissimus Maximus. I mean, that's not a bad thing considering how amazing the finale of Season 1 was, but the story arcs and rate at which they're introducing new characters are very similar this point. Hell, even the Frog Lady might be the one who saves the Child.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm sure there's many posts like this in the last 350 but holy mother gently caress poo poo balls that was the best 45 minutes of star wars in ever

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

IT BURNS posted:

Hell, even the Frog Lady might be the one who saves the Child.

We should be so lucky.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The Last Call posted:

Not all the time but it could happen, but it wasn't a 100% to happen thing. Still if it did, the Jedi just lost their primary tool for several minutes and you know that's not good.

I think there was also something about it absorbing blaster bolts too, cause I know one of the new canon books has Thrawn and Anakin finding droids being built with cortosis armor, but I don’t recall the details offhand. Either way, it’s another old EU thing that’s survived to the new in a similar form.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

fartknocker posted:

Yeah. It’s still in the new canon, a few of the new novels have used it.

To expand a little: cortosis is a highly conductive but brittle metal which doesn't give it a lot of utility as armor. The main thing is that its conductivity can disrupt energy beams, so a saber blade that strikes raw cortosis will briefly short out. While cortosis is pretty useless as armor it is used in some vibro weapons to make them more durable against sabers.

Beskar is a very malleable metal that can deflect blaster and Saber strikes but prolonged exposure will start to melt through. Trouble is that sabers need to be quick because holding your sword against a piece of super durable armour means you're not dealing with the guy trying to shoot or flamethrower you.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I thought their brief exchange did a good job getting across that while Din could hold his own better than most thanks to his armor and weapons and training, in another world where he's actually there to kill Ahsoka he's absolutely hosed in a prolonged fight.

Honestly the episode did a good job showing just how loving terrifying a single Jedi is in a more low level environment. Din's assistance was only really needed in being a second pair of hands to make sure nobody slinked off to kill the prisoners behind Ahsoka's back, otherwise she could have easily solo'd that entire garrison.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Sydin posted:

I thought their brief exchange did a good job getting across that while Din could hold his own better than most thanks to his armor and weapons and training, in another world where he's actually there to kill Ahsoka he's absolutely hosed in a prolonged fight.

Honestly the episode did a good job showing just how loving terrifying a single Jedi is in a more low level environment. Din's assistance was only really needed in being a second pair of hands to make sure nobody slinked off to kill the prisoners behind Ahsoka's back, otherwise she could have easily solo'd that entire garrison.

Exactly. It’s the same reason that scene at the end of rouge one was so good. True Jedi or Sith versus almost anyone is a loving nightmare for the norms. I still want a movie of Vader at empire height just taking out a whole army (I know one of the books is like that but better) by himself.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Din could have solo'd the garisson too imho. I was expecting Kyle Reese to get sniped while being distracted by Ahsoka.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

niethan posted:

Din could have solo'd the garisson too imho. I was expecting Kyle Reese to get sniped while being distracted by Ahsoka.

Sure but the garrison has a chance against Din. We've seen already in his fight with the bounty hunters in 1-3 that while he can put up a hell of a fight he can be overwhelmed by superior numbers.

That said I'm now chuckling at the thought of an alternate scene where Din clears out the garrison, approaches the magistrate who hefts the spear and offers a duel in that beautiful garden set, and Din just whips out his pistol and blasts her Indiana Jones style.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The scary thing about Ahsoka is that she's had all the Jedi training and knew some of the greats but at this point has made her own path and doesn't even consider herself Jedi any longer, that means she can cut loose in a way many Jedi likely never did.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I loved everything so much except for the kid’s awful name.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's an appropriate Star Wars name.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The name is kinda eh, the most surprising thing is we actually got a name. I figured that was going to be a last episode sort of thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Missed oppurtunity to use the name " Yiddle".

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Name owns, gently caress the haters.

Also add me to the list of people asking for sequel trilogy discussion to find another thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yoddler

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo that was SO GOOD

I am so excited for the rest of this, the Obi Wan show, and any other Star Wars garbage Disney wants to force feed me. Just hook it to my veins.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm really burned out on Jedi and Laser Swords so I didn't like this episode. I really hope this doesn't become a thing,

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Grogu is the perfect name tbh. It's almost like Goku.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FogHelmut posted:

So is Thrawn in the show now, or was that just a shoutout to the nerds who watch children's cartoons?

Ahsoka is actively looking for him, so he exists (or existed) as a real being. Given Filoni's record there's a pretty high non-zero chance we get live-action Thrawn either in this show in maybe the next season or in an Ahsoka spin-off show. Hell, he might show up in this coming season's finale. I doubt it, but it's possible.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TROS committed many sins, but going from Kylo ascending to the throne at the end of TLJ to just having another master at the start of TROS is some loving bullshit. Terrio basically completely undid any growth Kylo achieved in TLJ and just reset him to the angry hooded action figure he was in TFA.

I was looking forward to Kylo Ren in the next movie after TLJ. He was clearly set up to be a Galactic scale school shooter. The whole point of him killing Snoke was "No, mother-fuckers, this isn't like the last two times." Kylo doesn't give a poo poo about ruling or the Sith. He's basically J.D. from Heathers who wants Rey to be his Veronica and at the end has moved on to blowing up the school/burning down the galaxy to express his pain and rage. Maybe he does meet Palpatine, agrees to play servant then take one of those Destroyers-with-a-Dick and uses it to blow Palpatine to hell to emphasis again that "No, mother-fuckers, this isn't like the last two times." Meanwhile Rey and the Resistance are desperately trying to find a way to fight back while Kylo goes to planets like Tatooine, Corellia or Dagobah and destroys them to literally burn down his past.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

teagone posted:

It's almost like Gogurt

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

teagone posted:

It's probably a reference to Daigoro, the Cub from Lone Wolf and Cub. Which makes it even better.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

Name owns, gently caress the haters.

Also add me to the list of people asking for sequel trilogy discussion to find another thread.

:hmmyes:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

zoux posted:

It's almost like Gogurt

jng2058 posted:

It's probably a reference to Daigoro, the Cub from Lone Wolf and Cub. Which makes it even better.

Both of these are also acceptable reasons why Grogu is a good name.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TROS committed many sins, but going from Kylo ascending to the throne at the end of TLJ to just having another master at the start of TROS is some loving bullshit. Terrio basically completely undid any growth Kylo achieved in TLJ and just reset him to the angry hooded action figure he was in TFA.

I heard the main reason he was given the helmet again is so they could have Kylo Ren in one of the Star Wars experience things at Disney Parks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thats probably true.

Also i hope disney drops the canon poo poo at the parks so we can have Mando and Baby Yoda wander the parks.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Grogu can be shortened to Grog and grogs are well known babies so name checks out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really liked Cal Kestis as a character, he felt like a kind of Jedi we hadn’t seen before, so I'd be cool with bringing Cameron Monaghan into the irl, maybe not in this show but in one of the spinoffs. Or this one, though I don't know how the timing works out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He'd be old. I like his youthful energy and wearyness. He's kinda fun when he's all "awww so cute beedee" . Kind of a nice break from sad broody characters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This episode was Yaddle erasure.

Ahsoka only knows of one other being like Grogu? Yaddle was your librarian you liar

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

:nws:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm sure there's many posts like this in the last 350 but holy mother gently caress poo poo balls that was the best 45 minutes of star wars in ever

Yup. This was my favorite live action Star Wars content since The Empire Strikes back, which came out 3 years before I was born, so I didn’t get to react to as it was new. I literally screamed multiple times during the episode. I’m as happy as a pig in poo poo that this episode exists, and I can’t wait to watch it for a third time.

I feel it’s important to reflect on that sometimes, in this dark world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

CelticPredator posted:

He'd be old. I like his youthful energy and wearyness. He's kinda fun when he's all "awww so cute beedee" . Kind of a nice break from sad broody characters.

Yeah, IIRC Fallen Order is only 5-10 years after Revenge of the Sith, so they’d have to age him up quite a bit for something set 5~ years after Return of the Jedi.

EDIT:

Now there’s an image I haven’t seen in a long time. A long time...