Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bob The Sun posted:

Purely anecdotal but the weird thing I've noticed about my friends (mostly in their 30s) who still get every Assassin's Creed game is they're all the ones who have kids now.

I know its a brand they're probably familiar with and offers a bunch to do with not much resistance, but every one of them complains about being unnegotiably time poor and I can't think of a company that pumps out more sprawling time vacuums than Ubisoft.

My mate who has two kids and hasnt gamed much at all in a while suddenly found himself furloughed while the kids were in school and he was like theres been like 4 ac games since the last one I played so I was like I have them all here borrow them, but I also have all these other cool games you might like such as horizon or god of war....

Nope, just give me the ac games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ShoogaSlim posted:

who the hell plays assassin's creed unironically?

isn't that series just a churn factory to get call of duty normies to keep giving ubisoft money?

It’s one of those „normie games” like fifa or star wars battlefront two that are universally beloved by everyone except people who post online

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

goblin week posted:

It’s one of those „normie games” like fifa or star wars battlefront two that are universally beloved by everyone except people who post online

it annoys me how happy they are in day to day life tho. :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fridge corn posted:

My mate who has two kids and hasnt gamed much at all in a while suddenly found himself furloughed while the kids were in school and he was like theres been like 4 ac games since the last one I played so I was like I have them all here borrow them, but I also have all these other cool games you might like such as horizon or god of war....

Nope, just give me the ac games

You should say that Horizon is like Assassin's Creed but with Cool Robots

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Fifa owns i love fifa so much. I only play career mode tho and scout new Brazilian players who all have insane random generated names

I don't bother with that loot box mode

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Still chugging my way through Dark Souls. I'm currently at a crossroads trying to determine if I should tackle Valley of Drakes or New Londo Ruins first.

I spent a while last night grinding mats to ascend weapons, only to realize ascending to fire or lightning causes you to lose the weapons stat bonus?!?! The extra damage being done by the elements was massively offset by the loss of that STR bonus damage.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Valley of Drakes is a small area that’s more about getting to other places. New Londo Ruins is an actual full section

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

They probably just want one game they can play for a long time when they get chance, my brother-in-law has more hours in Skyrim than I can ever comprehend just playing it for a couple of hours a night after the kids go to bed. For like six years.

I’d actually say that arcade/roguelike style games are a great antidote for this, but they don’t offer the escapism. As long as a game can easily be dropped and returned to with little fuss you’re set

Maybe there’s some folks that dig Hades for that reason? How long does a run of that take anyway?

I just got Slay the Spire (fantastic and I wonder why I slept on it for so long), and it fills that need perfectly since you can pause a run at any time and save.

Downwell is also great for this, as is the first Spelunky, hell tons of games.

Obviously not everyone is a turbo nerd that’s going to find somewhat obscure games with arcane mechanics and depth. I totally get the appeal of uncomplicated escapism.

But there’s some takes on AC that I’d never considered in terms of its appeal so thanks goons.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Simone Magus posted:

Uhhhh. No?

2, Brotherhood, Black Flag, Syndicate, Origins and Valhalla are legitimately great games. 1, Revelations, Rogue and Odyssey are good.

3 is the only "bad" one, and it's more boring than bad.

You forgot the other bad one, Unity. Liberation..is not really good either but it at least had a bit of ambition to it, yannow?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I kind of like Liberation's angle but they don't really commit to the whole "it's Templars re-writing history" gimmick, like only the very end seemed to do anything with it and you immediately fix the problem. I enjoyed it back in The Day when I played it on Vita as a "wow look handheld gaming has come so far" but I can't really see it being worth going back to in 2020 when games like Black Flag, Odyssey, and Valhalla exist.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kirbysuperstar posted:

You forgot the other bad one, Unity. Liberation..is not really good either but it at least had a bit of ambition to it, yannow?

Unity’s a bad one but it’s extremely pretty, and the full-scale rendition of Paris is still pretty drat impressive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Policenaut posted:

I kind of like Liberation's angle but they don't really commit to the whole "it's Templars re-writing history" gimmick, like only the very end seemed to do anything with it and you immediately fix the problem. I enjoyed it back in The Day when I played it on Vita as a "wow look handheld gaming has come so far" but I can't really see it being worth going back to in 2020 when games like Black Flag, Odyssey, and Valhalla exist.

We will never forget the rug that solved the camera puzzle.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Speaking of Skyrim, any guess on the next one? My guess? 2022.

And a sixth month exclusive to Xbox :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks to rear end chat I started playing Syndicate, one of the few I've never finished. All I can hear is Korone going 'orayo!' whenever I punch people now though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

LionArcher posted:

Would literally get me to switch consoles

Oh God but then what if Sony retaliates and the next Rockstar game is a six-month exclusive on PS5 :ohdear:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LionArcher posted:

And fully Xbox exclusive :blastu:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My most salient memory of AC Unity was they got Lorde's cover of Everybody Wants to Rule the World for the E3 trailer and then the Ubisoft dev went on stage and started by saying "You too can rule the world in Assassin's Creed Unity" :confused:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My biggest memories of Unity were me falling through a perfectly normal floor, then jumping into a tree and getting permanently stuck, then me uninstalling it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unity is super boring but now that it functions without crashing it's... fine. I guess it's probably about as bad as 3, but the Paris map goes a long way to making up for it

Liberation I liked a lot but in retrospect that was probably because I was playing it on a handheld

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Elder scrolls 6 being permanently xbox exclusive would save me a lot of time

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Elder scrolls 6 being permanently xbox exclusive would save me a lot of time

It will be... until it releases for the switch pro or switch 2 in 2024 (I’ll buy it then if that’s the case)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
trying out this piss5 streaming with bloodborne if anyone gives a hoot enough to watch me play bad, im late game tho (i think) still have dlc to do.

[video type="twitch"][/video]

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 13, 2021

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

PS4 games on the PS5 make me feel the same way I felt as a kid looking at the difference between a Nintendo 64 game with and without the Expansion Pak.

My child mind can't really tell that much of a difference in most instances but I still wish I was playing the slightly nicer version.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

LionArcher posted:

It will be... until it releases for the switch pro or switch 2 in 2024 (I’ll buy it then if that’s the case)

its gonna come out on the same day as Persona 5 S (the S is for Switch Pro)

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

LionArcher posted:

2024 and gamepass will be available on PS5.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

streaming is weird but i guess i can see the thrill of it. need to figure out if i can turn off the "number watching" pop up cos that feels weird watching it go up and down.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

The last good AC game was syndicate. since they moved to the format that origins/odyssey/valhalla uses there's much better options for that type of game, like the witcher or tsushima

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DaitoX posted:

2024 and gamepass will be available on PS5.

gonna be more busted than skyrim on PS3 lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hello bloodsouls goonsquad, i need help with Four Kings on ng+ if there's anyone out there who can

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i'm super tempted to get demons souls so i can experience an actual ps5 game, but i just started the chalice dungeons in bloodborne and i'm afraid of flipping back and forth between the two play styles.

also am i a dumb idiot for still using my fully maxed regular axe in NG+? every other weapon I've picked up would require a bunch of upgrading meanwhile my axe already does far more damage than anything else i have.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

i'm super tempted to get demons souls so i can experience an actual ps5 game, but i just started the chalice dungeons in bloodborne and i'm afraid of flipping back and forth between the two play styles.

also am i a dumb idiot for still using my fully maxed regular axe in NG+? every other weapon I've picked up would require a bunch of upgrading meanwhile my axe already does far more damage than anything else i have.

Axe is in the top-3 of best weapons in the game.

It's got solutions to just about every situation.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I'm not ashamed to admit that I solved problems in bloodborne far too many times by letting an enemy get stuck behind a pillar or something while I abused the game's physics to clip the axe through to hit it

The axe is good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah go with what feels good or what's comfy. It's worth it to try the other weapons at some point too, but there's no harm in doing what works for ya, yeah?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

thanks for the encouragement! I've definitely hid behind obstacles and used the R2 long press attack to cheese enemies in plenty of situations, and I'm pretty used to it and comfortable, so I'll stick with it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

hello bloodsouls goonsquad, i need help with Four Kings on ng+ if there's anyone out there who can
Still need help, Beanpole? I have a couple that would fit the bill.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

Still need help, Beanpole? I have a couple that would fit the bill.

Ya, what timezone you at?

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Played the first mission of Squadrons in VR, and found it a bit disorienting, the stars background makes me feel like a turret just turning around instead of a fast moving fighter, the VR in Ace Combat 7 felt much better, probably due to having a horizon and ground stuff to enhance the illusion, but ill stick with it.

Also the game has an “minimal hud, instruments only mode”, is it any good? I feel one of my problems is the screen felt cluttered with indicators and radio chatter pop ups.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ya, what timezone you at?
Mountain. It's not too late for me to do it tonight if you want, otherwise just let me know when during the weekend.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Speaking from experience playing Demon's Souls (the original) was really fun immediately after Bloodborne. Skills you pick up in BB translate very well to DeS and I remember beating the Firelurker with a +4 longsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BurningBeard posted:

I’d actually say that arcade/roguelike style games are a great antidote for this, but they don’t offer the escapism. As long as a game can easily be dropped and returned to with little fuss you’re set

Maybe there’s some folks that dig Hades for that reason? How long does a run of that take anyway?

I just got Slay the Spire (fantastic and I wonder why I slept on it for so long), and it fills that need perfectly since you can pause a run at any time and save.

Downwell is also great for this, as is the first Spelunky, hell tons of games.

Obviously not everyone is a turbo nerd that’s going to find somewhat obscure games with arcane mechanics and depth. I totally get the appeal of uncomplicated escapism.

But there’s some takes on AC that I’d never considered in terms of its appeal so thanks goons.

Hades runs can be about 30 minutes and really addictive. I always want to play another one right after.