Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Everyone posted:

Ahsoka probably would have been a full Jedi Knight but left the Order before that could happen.
At the end of The Wrong Jedi, the council stated that realized that what she went through WERE her Jedi trials. It seems like had she was seconds away from being knighted if she rejoined at that moment instead of realizing she had fundamental issues with respect to the Jedi to resolve.

Its kind of funny that at the end of the Clone Wars that the "one weird trick" to say "but she's not a Jedi!" didn't work; not only was she really no longer a Jedi, she was better than all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Owlbear Camus posted:

Please appreciate real, authentic beauty instead of describing her body as a "damaged prop" just because time and experience has given her space alien tendrils a few creases and wrinkles.

I suppose next you'll say my balls are a "damaged prop."

to quote yoda

"bitch i look good old, your young rear end gonna look nasty as hell"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, I just started listening to the Rebel Force Radio recap, and that's Paul Bateman's theory as well: Grogu watched all his friends get killed by Anakin, but was able to hide and essentially suffered from severe PTSD.

Yes, glad Im not the only one who thought of that. because indeed is weird the idea that several jedi masters where training a baby.

Now I wanna know who rescued him from being a victim of Anakin. Who was keeping him hidden?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Desperado Bones posted:

Now I wanna know who rescued him from being a victim of Anakin. Who was keeping him hidden?

Jimmy Smits made another run and drove off with him and raised him in secret as an attic monster Leia was never supposed to talk about

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm interested to know how the child ended up with a bunch of no name mercenaries in episode 1

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

NTRabbit posted:

Ahsoka's music does that, her theme feels of sadness and regret

For real, it's so good at being poignant. But it can also evoke feelings of hope and inspiration. It really is an affecting theme.

Everyone posted:

As for why she and Sabine aren't together, maybe Sabine got killed. Or, more likely, it's a big-rear end galaxy so they've split up to run down more leads and cover more territory.

Meanwhile, I'm kind of hoping that Luke Skywalker doesn't show up here because we kind of know how that ends: 20 years later, Groku Force-steals some of Ben's snacks and then Ben goes Kylo Ren and murders him and the rest of Luke's students.

Sabine being killed offscreen would kinda suck, lol. And I also don't want Luke to show up. Cal Kestis (and Cere?) or Sabine and Ezra are who I want tbh.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Cheesus posted:

Its kind of funny that at the end of the Clone Wars that the "one weird trick" to say "but she's not a Jedi!" didn't work; not only was she really no longer a Jedi, she was better than all of them.

That's what I like about her, and why I think any notion of calling her a "Grey Jedi" is just nonsense. She absolutely still believes in the ideal of what a Jedi Knight is supposed to be like, but she lost faith hard in the Jedi Order's ability as an institution to guide people toward that ideal, for good reason.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My heart really wants a reunited Ghost crew to be ones who save Din and Grogu actually. Hera, Sabine, Zeb, Ezra training Jacen (:unsmith:), and Chopper :allears: [edit] oh and Kallus, why not.

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 28, 2020

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Desperado Bones posted:

Yes, glad Im not the only one who thought of that. because indeed is weird the idea that several jedi masters where training a baby.

That crossed my mind for a second, but I landed on a string of Jedi baby sitters encouraging a force sensitive toddler to stack blocks and use shape sorters with his mind. I mean it's like teaching a child to walk or read or use the potty. You start early and small.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm interested to know how the child ended up with a bunch of no name mercenaries in episode 1

it's like three men and a baby except however many there were

also they get killed

radlum
May 13, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

it's like three men and a baby except however many there were

also they get killed

And the ghost is a Force Ghost.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I've been sure this whole time that it was a Rebel cell tasked with safeguarding the Grogu from the Empire until Luke had his Jedi school up and running.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Frankenstyle posted:

That crossed my mind for a second, but I landed on a string of Jedi baby sitters encouraging a force sensitive toddler to stack blocks and use shape sorters with his mind. I mean it's like teaching a child to walk or read or use the potty. You start early and small.

I get the impression that Grogu's people have super long lifespans that may actually portray the fantasy thing having a childhood measured in decades.

Mind you, the kid being heavily traumatised would explain a lot, that can cause regression, and Ahsoka does say he hides the extent of his powers. That and with how quiet Din is most of the time, he might have picked up mostly nonverbal communication.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Alchenar posted:

The saddest thing is the creases on the Styrofoam tendrils.

I legit, 100% thought that they were supposed to be scars. :shrug:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlbear Camus posted:

Counterpoint:

Normalize recasting parts in The Star Wars so they don't think they gotta do poo poo like bring back a terrifying Peter Cushing simulcrum with digital necromancy.

Also the "amazing de aging stuff" in the 270m mega blockbuster Rise of Skywalker was some rubbery PS3 cutscene energy so I'm not convinced it's gonna look that great on a tv budget. Let them spend the budget on yoda puppets and cool laser guns and practical alien monster heads instead of digitally steam ironing mark hammil's mug.

most of the normies i know and talked to after rogue one came out literally didnt realize that tarkin wasnt real until i pointed it out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

radlum posted:

And the ghost is a Force Ghost.

This show needs glowing blue Ted Danson in a top hat and tails, stat!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kanine posted:

most of the normies i know and talked to after rogue one came out literally didnt realize that tarkin wasnt real until i pointed it out.

Yeah, probably helps that he's supposed to look stiff and creepy. Leia on the other hand, yeesh.

Highlight is still Darth Vader's dad joke.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Combat Pretzel posted:

50 years old, trained by many masters, still a drooling idiot.

Please stop talking about Cara Dune all the time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know why people want Barriss to come back so Ahsoka can settle a grudge. Barriss being the traitor highlighted a fundamental problem that Clone Wars had which was that Ahsoka really lacked meaningful interactions with many characters outside of Anakin and Obi-Wan. The Wrong Jedi episodes had to find someone that was supposed to be a close and trusted friend of Ahsoka in order to make the betrayal sting, but the show hadn't built up any significant relationships for her, so they went with Barriss. Barriss hadn't had a focus episode since season 2, which also happened to be the first time she and Ahsoka met. The only other times she appeared were in a handful of cameo appearances as a fighter pilot and in those episodes she doesn't even talk to Ahsoka.

The betrayal never worked for me because of that lack of a truly personal connection between her and the traitor. It also makes little sense for Barriss because there was no indication that she would ever turn out to be a radical terrorist in her prior appearances while simultaneously being blatantly obvious that she was the traitor due to it being her first major episode appearance in three years. And the episode ended with the Jedi taking her into custody. Better she just ended with Order 66 rather than her being an inquisition with their lame helicopter blades.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Kanine posted:

...did they think the old guy from the movie that came out 40 years ago hadn't aged a day in the interim?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

My heart really wants a reunited Ghost crew to be ones who save Din and Grogu actually. Hera, Sabine, Zeb, Ezra training Jacen (:unsmith:), and Chopper :allears: [edit] oh and Kallus, why not.

Another kind of weird possibility would be Grand Admiral Thrawn himself. After the climactic duel which defeats Gideon, Din and crew escape but the Razor Crest is disabled by fire from Gideon's ship. It's about to be destroyed when the Chimera shows up and destroys Gideon's ship then tractors the Razor Crest aboard.

Thrawn: I have a job for you. I need you to capture New Republic Chancellor Mon Mothma - well, really, I need you to capture the shapeshifter who has replaced her. Lieutenant Bridger here can give you the full details.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 28, 2020

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Sash! posted:

I've been sure this whole time that it was a Rebel cell tasked with safeguarding the Grogu from the Empire until Luke had his Jedi school up and running.

Kuiil wanted them gone though, which makes it seem like they were bad?

Desperado Bones posted:

I always figured the childGrogu was the equivalent of a 5 year old human, if Yoda-beings live roughly ten times as long as humans. Thinking about him possibly witnessing Anakin killing the other younglings is so sad :(

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Owlbear Camus posted:

Please do not body shame her wrinkles. The last time we saw her was like a decade ago, as a smooth CGI cartoon. I think she's aging gracefully.

Though I don't know how long Tortugulas or whatever kind of space alien she is are supposed to last.

In the opening they look perfect but that screenshot they have obviously been creased.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Butterfly Valley posted:

...did they think the old guy from the movie that came out 40 years ago hadn't aged a day in the interim?

do you really think the average person cares enough to know that? i think you're super overestimating the amount of engagement the average person person has with star wars or media in general

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

cocoavalley posted:

I thought Kuiil wanted the, gone because they were attracting too many bounty hunters, not for anything they themselves were doing.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

cocoavalley posted:

He said that they were ruining the peace. If I was a farmer during the Civil War, I wouldn't want the Union camping out in my back yard any more than the Confederates because one attracts the other. Then the shooting starts and my barn gets burnt down.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24

im biased because i literally make my living as a 3d artist but for real watch this video if you're a nerd and pissy about cgi ruining movies or something

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

withak posted:

I feel like "laser sword" is a term that Mandalorians traditionally use because they know it irritates Jedi when they call it that.

Yeah lol that annoyed glance but no correction. Beautiful.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Azhais posted:

Counterpoint: it's a big galaxy

This has never been the case.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Kanine posted:

do you really think the average person cares enough to know that? i think you're super overestimating the amount of engagement the average person person has with star wars or media in general

Perhaps, but you don't need to be a Star Wars nerd to be aware of concepts like 'time' and 'aging'. I would have hoped that that, coupled with the uncanny valley effect, would be enough to let people know something is up. But then most people are thick as pigshit so... I guess it was done well enough that most people don't question it, but if pressed then they would realise some effects were used.

I wonder how many people think that the hobbit actors from LotR are actually that small irl

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 28, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Everyone posted:

Another kind of weird possibility would be Grand Admiral Thrawn himself. After the climactic duel which defeats Gideon, Din and crew escape but the Razor Crest is disabled by fire from Gideon's ship. It's about to be destroyed when the Chimera shows up and destroys Gideon's ship then tractors the Razor Crest aboard.

Thrawn: I have a job for you. I need you to capture New Republic Chancellor Mon Mothma - well, really, I need you to capture the shapeshifter who has replaced her. Lieutenant Bridger here can give you the full details.

Now I'm picturing her turning out to be a Founder and things get wild.

Man, I'd love a show that does for Star Trek what this one does for Star Wars.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

teagone posted:

Definitely want Zeb to show up voiced by Steve Blum, either as CGI or someone in a suit, definitely achievable. For Kallus I say ask David Oyelowo to do it and just ignore the inconsistency, dude of that standing should get first refusal for sure.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Butterfly Valley posted:

Perhaps, but you don't need to be a Star Wars nerd to be aware of concepts like 'time' and 'aging'. I would have hoped that that, coupled with the uncanny valley effect, would be enough to let people know something is up. But then most people are thick as pigshit so... I guess it was done well enough that most people don't question it, but if pressed then they would realise some effects were used.

I wonder how many people think that the hobbit actors from LotR are actually that small irl

my father has been a star wars fan since childhood when he saw anh in theaters and like, he didnt even notice the tarkin thing specifically because the movie was good and he wasnt paying attention to the specifics because he was engrossed.

i think nerds online really forget that the average person doesnt care about minor poo poo like this and we are in fact a tiny minority of autistic weirdos

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kanine posted:

my father has been a star wars fan since childhood when he saw anh in theaters and like, he didnt even notice the tarkin thing specifically because the movie was good and he wasnt paying attention to the specifics because he was engrossed.

i think nerds online really forget that the average person doesnt care about minor poo poo like this and we are in fact a tiny minority of autistic weirdos

Sorry, you’re an “autistic weirdo” if you notice that an obvious CG double is used for a guy who would be over 100 years old otherwise?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
people i talked to who did not notice the tarkin thing watching in various theaters including imax and 3d along with multiple rewatches on small screen, who when i pointed it out didnt care or really think much about it, who can still watch the movie again and not really think much about it

-both my parents
-both my surviving grandparents
-my uncle
-my older brother (who was 22 when the movie came out)
-3 of my close friends who are all nerds and were 18, 19, and 22 when the movie came out
-4 of my colleagues/coworkers in the games industry, one of whom is specifically a 3d artist and is normally quick to notice vfx work because it is literally his job

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kanine posted:

I spent have the movie trying to figure out why I thought the new actor’s makeup looked so weird. :eng99:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

if they didn't even realize that the actor was CG then they almost certainly didn't know that he was a returning character from the 30 year old movie they probably saw once or twice as kids

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Sorry, you’re an “autistic weirdo” if you notice that an obvious CG double is used for a guy who would be over 100 years old otherwise?

No, that's not the weirdo part. Concluding that the decision to use CG was terrible because you, the hypothetical viewer, noticed is the weirdo part.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the weirdo part is caring enough one way or the other to post about it on the internet. it is too late for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you've seen the Trey Parker and Matt Stone deep fake video, then you can see how this is going to work in the future. I don’t know if Disney used similar techniques for Rogue One or more standard ones, but the tech wasn’t quite there. New deepfakes are almost perfect to the naked eye and don’t have the uncanny valley effect