Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

swickles posted:

Star Wars is literally sci fi and fantasy merged together. You have futuristic space tech melded with sorcery. gently caress, the Mandalorian series even refer to the Jedi as sorcerers. Its space and magic which is fine. Just don't pretend its something it isnt. Its meant for most ages, which means it has to be geared towards children, which again is fine. Star Wars was never high art meant for kings and opera houses, and most entertainment isnt. For some reason we dismiss a lot of poo poo as childish despite the fact the main consumer is middle aged and over. Star Wars and all derivatives are really young adult at heart. Its ok to like it, but don't get upset when you age out of it. It has always been directed towards people coming of age, that is always who the story centers around.

It's not even really scifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
it's space samurais

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah and cowboys and wizards.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
The Flight Attendant is pretty darn good so far! Very weird and stressful. I kinda vaguely remember seeing an ad for it a while back and promptly forgot about it but I saw the first 3 eps were up tonight so I watched em all. Feel a little bad because I know my wife would have wanted to watch with me, but she went to bed super early so I guess she'll just have to catch up. Also looks like they put up the rest of the season for Industry which seems kind of weird since it had been released weekly until now. I'm sure it has something to do with their free preview weekend going on right now but it still seems a little odd.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah and cowboys and wizards.

But enough about Spelljammer

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How To With John Wilson finale was fuckin great

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's not even really scifi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3PzTl9REo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Star Wars is .....an aesthetic.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not but that's not a bad way to describe it!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am being serious but it's not my original observation

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Star Wars took place a long time ago, making it science fact

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zoux posted:

And it's mostly in the sound design. :haibrower:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Utopia was canceled.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Utopia was canceled.

Fitting considering the original was also canceled.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

muscles like this! posted:

Utopia was canceled.

I liked that it was bat poo poo crazy at times, but man did the show have a lot flaws. Plus they made Jessica unredeemable just so they could shock the audience (you know the scene). Still I would have liked to seen more of it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

I liked that it was bat poo poo crazy at times, but man did the show have a lot flaws. Plus they made Jessica unredeemable just so they could shock the audience (you know the scene). Still I would have liked to seen more of it.

Watch the UK version, it's infinitely better

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hahaha that's a perfect response. God I loved Party Down

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

Also looks like they put up the rest of the season for Industry which seems kind of weird since it had been released weekly until now. I'm sure it has something to do with their free preview weekend going on right now but it still seems a little odd.
This was preannounced because “linear viewership” was disappointing. Honestly I think HBO dropped the ball bc I watched Lovecraft Country every week yet wasn’t aware of this show for which I am the ideal audience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I did finish up watching the UK version of Utopia last week and honestly I feel all the "it's so much better" comments are simply due to the fact that it was seen first and that the two versions are too similar to not feel redundant.

I enjoyed it, just as I enjoyed the US version. It was more tightly plotted due to the shorter runtime. Otherwise, I didn't enjoy most of the characters quite as well as it just felt like Becky, Ian, and Grant were being shits to each other just to pad out some melodrama rather than due to their shared trauma and how they were dealing with it.

Grant, in particular, didn't really work for me. I know they were trying to go for the whole "if the whole world has made up their mind that you are a killer, it's better if you live up to their perception of you", but it all felt too rushed.

Jessica's character, I know some people were saying that the US version made her irredeemable. I say it just made her character more consistent. The compassion she shows toward Becky, Ian, Grant, and Wilson (at the start) seem to fly in the face of nearly everything else her character does outside the group and I never really got what makes THEM special to her. The US version makes it clear that they will be tolerated so long as they are useful, building up to allies as they show competence, but the UK version just seems like she's too soft on them.

I will say though that the metaplot centering on infiltration and corruption of the government rather than a tech billionaire's vision was better though. The US version's antagonist was a bit too Bond villain.

I'm not super sad to see the US version go or anything as I don't think it could have had a particularly long run without getting really really dumb, but I also don't see it as a desecration on the original either, nor do I see a huge disparity in quality.

Beyond all that though, it's not really the time for either of the shows since plots centering around the use of a pandemic to distribute a vaccine of nefarious purpose seems tone deaf bordering on irresponsible right now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 28, 2020

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hahaha that's a perfect response. God I loved Party Down

One of the very few shows I would call "perfect"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I finished Industry. The season finale wasn’t quite what I was looking and felt a bit like a series finale which is just as well because the show probably won’t get renewed. But if you like sex, drugs, and drama, it’s a fun ride.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RBA Starblade posted:

Star Wars took place a long time ago, making it science fact

Long live Sci-Fa!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I finished Industry. The season finale wasn’t quite what I was looking and felt a bit like a series finale which is just as well because the show probably won’t get renewed. But if you like sex, drugs, and drama, it’s a fun ride.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good. The ending was kinda brutal, and left one or two things unfinished, I thought.

Kinda hoping they'll have a second season, if only because it's probably fairly cheap to produce.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
UK Utopia is a good one season show wrapped up in an amazing theme song.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The season 2 premiere is also quite good! But then yeah the rest of that season sucks rear end

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

The season 2 premiere is also quite good! But then yeah the rest of that season sucks rear end

It doesn’t suck rear end, it’s just just not as good; kind of spins it’s wheels. There are a few bright spots.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally finishing We Are Who We Are and for some reason it really wants me to be sad about the deaths of Americans who chose to be soldiers in Afghanistan in 2016 :shrug:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

I would say that utopia is a collection of scenes loosely hung together by a conspiracy plot, and s1 has a combination of better scenes and a better way of preserving the illusion that those scenes up to a greater whole. S2 still has some great scenes but there are fewer of them and the plot scaffolding falls apart more.

E: also they cost to be soldiers, the afghanistan thing is definitely not something they actually chose.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 29, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but if you’re a kid who chooses to be a soldier in 2016 knowing that the only major military activity going on that you’re likely to be sent to is some bullshit you should have been out of long ago then the gently caress is wrong with you

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
It's a pretty safe bet that you won't actually be deployed there. It's a very small percentage of the active duty armed forces that are deployed there. Most likely you end up on some base far from conflict. Ending up there is pretty bad luck.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok that’s fair, especially as the show is set on an American base in Italy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nate fisher posted:

It was a show made of flaws, I haven't watched something that bafflingly bad in a long time. I'd rather watch a season of the Good Witch start to finish than an episode of US Utopia again.

Lovecraft Country was one of the best shows I've ever seen, start to finish. Best time-travel story in one of the episodes. Umbrella Academy took a whole season in the past to get smaller emotional payoffs that Lovecraft Country could get in an episode. I was really floored with how many different genres they mastered and how much crazy magic stuff they pulled in while maintaining verisimilitude of the world and telling a complicated, interwoven overall plot at the same time.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

You know what show should become either a Netflix show or a franchise of movies? The real adventures of Jonny quest. Modern. Quest world VR. Jonny and Jessy as the main leads. Hodgy is gay. It would be legit. (No, shut up about V bros it’s not the same thing. Parody of something doesn’t mean the thing can’t be remade better).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Been rewatching Moral Orel for the first time in a decade or so and I forgot just how goddamn hosed up this show gets, jesus christ

Show this to everyone who thinks BoJack invented the concept of a depressing cartoon

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Undoing season finale just finished. Has anyone been watching. Wondering if it’s worth the watch.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

The Undoing season finale just finished. Has anyone been watching. Wondering if it’s worth the watch.

I will watch the episode later tonight. So far my girlfriend and I have enjoyed it and are looking forward to watching the finale. I have recommended it to a few people and they all told me they have enjoyed it so far.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been watching, but there was a revelation in episode 5 that had me wondering if I'd bother watching the rest. I'm hoping it turns out to be something else.

It's, okay I guess. Kidman is alright but not as good as she is in Big Little Lies, and Hugh Grant does nothing new. Donald Sutherland is there. It looks good enough, but the slow burn isn't really that warm imo.

I didn't know the finale is this week so I may as well finish it. Unless the ending is bonkers insane I'd rather have spent the time watching something else.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's good, but not great. It's exactly what you'd expect from an HBO miniseries, post Big Little Lies. It's probably not shot as well, but it's still gorgeous and has some great performances, and it's also relatively straightforward.

(I thought Sharp Objects and We Are Who We Are were both better than BLL, fwiw.)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I started watching the Animaniacs reboot, and for as much as I loved this show in the 90s, I don't think I need to watch this whole 2020 comeback, especially when it's doing Trump and Leeroy Jenkins jokes. This should've stayed in the 90s.

e: Although I guess if Trump had been President in the 90s, they would've made jokes about him then. Hell, they probably did just because of the kind of real estate figure he was back then and I've just forgotten.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Haven’t seen the finale yet but episodes 1-2 were meh, episodes 3-4 were more promising, and then 5 was outright bad. Hugh Grant is the best thing about it, he is very good at playing a huge piece of poo poo