Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

wyoming posted:

Continue to give Gore Verbinski all of the money I say.

Agreed.

I even enjoyed The Lone Ranger. I went in with insanely low expectations but was surprised at how bleak and gruesome it was at time and was pleasantly surprised. Its got issues but it at least tried to have a style and tone you wouldnt expect from a Disney reboot.

A Cure for Wellness also owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

Agreed.

I even enjoyed The Lone Ranger. I went in with insanely low expectations but was surprised at how bleak and gruesome it was at time and was pleasantly surprised. Its got issues but it at least tried to have a style and tone you wouldnt expect from a Disney reboot.

He managed to make Dane Dehaan interesting!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Agreed.

I keep jumbling up that title and The Road to Wellville

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I keep jumbling up that title and The Road to Wellville

Same. I haven't seen Wellville in ages but they seem to make a nice double feature for approaching the obsession with welness from two different sides.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

MrBling posted:

Nah. Disney commissioned a script based on the ride in 2001 which was just a straight forward pirate story (I think Disney wanted Matthew McConaughey as Jack Sparrow) but when they got Jerry Bruckheimer on board he didn't like the script because it was "just a pirate movie", so they had some other guys rewrite it to add the supernatural stuff.

Wasn't the other part of the story, or at least the version I've read before, that Disney had a dream of a whole universe of movies based on theme park rides. They also had ones for Haunted Mansion and Country Bear Jamboree. The whole thing turned out to be a mix of failures and clusterfucks so they basically wrote off Pirates and let them do their own thing, which is why it ended up good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Wasn't the other part of the story, or at least the version I've read before, that Disney had a dream of a whole universe of movies based on theme park rides. They also had ones for Haunted Mansion and Country Bear Jamboree. The whole thing turned out to be a mix of failures and clusterfucks so they basically wrote off Pirates and let them do their own thing, which is why it ended up good.

Technically Jungle Cruise is still waiting on release.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Agreed.

The decision to do a version of magic mountain but also make it a corman and price poe movie was inspired

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

There was a also a Monkey Island script that never got made that was worked on by the script writer who later went on to write the Pirates of the Caribbean script. From the sound of things, the original Jack Sparrow character was also more of a Guybrush Threepwood character.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Tomorrowland, Mission to Mars, and Tower of Terror are all based on Disney park stuff too.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Vandar posted:

Tomorrowland, Mission to Mars, and Tower of Terror are all based on Disney park stuff too.

Man, mission to Mars really sucked but I somehow ended up seeing it in theaters 4 times.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mission to Mars had some neat scenes and concepts. And Ennio Morricone did the drat soundtrack.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
.....there was a Tower of Terror movie?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Gonz posted:

Mission to Mars had some neat scenes and concepts. And Ennio Morricone did the drat soundtrack.

It was the last pg-13 movie I can remember that had a particularly gruesome on screen death.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hedrigall posted:

.....there was a Tower of Terror movie?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I’m honestly surprised they haven’t forced the Mandalorian to do an episode or two set on Batuu.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/hellocookie/status/1332513395589992448?s=19

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'm also unfamiliar with the Tower of Terror movie. I found what appears to be a trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln1LVfUSa2U), but it really looks more like a commercial for the ride or a fan film or something. Those exterior shots of the hotel look like they came from someone's home video. Was this just shown as you're waiting to get on the ride?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DorianGravy posted:

I'm also unfamiliar with the Tower of Terror movie. I found what appears to be a trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln1LVfUSa2U), but it really looks more like a commercial for the ride or a fan film or something. Those exterior shots of the hotel look like they came from someone's home video. Was this just shown as you're waiting to get on the ride?

I had to look it up and it’s a TV movie which would explain why it looks bad. The ride is based off the Twilight Zone IP, which is not in the movie at all.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Gonz posted:

I remember that there's a standard "Astronaut BBQ" scene at the start that had Dr Pepper in these containers that I thought were really cool at the time, and I thought about often because they just seemed extremely "futuristic" to me, but were basically just these

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Good to see The Asylum has found somewhere else to dump their poo poo besides Syfy Channel on Saturday nights.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Tubi actually has some good stuff, weirdly, it’s just drowning in an ocean of poo poo

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

joylessdivision posted:

Good to see The Asylum has found somewhere else to dump their poo poo besides Syfy Channel on Saturday nights.

Asylum has it's own block on Peacock, the NBC Universal streaming service. I think any free streaming service has their movies. They get around.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's disappointing how bad all of the sequels to Pirates of the Caribbean were, because the first movie is legitimately good.

It definitely feels a lot like the Matrix trilogy, where you have a good initial concept but when you try to expand it out beyond the first movie it just falls apart under too much bloat.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

The thing is, I don't think you need to expand it very much. Just make a series of fun supernatural swashbuckling movies. Center the movies on different nautical folklore. There's no need for epic two-parters about the fate of the world. Towards the end of the first movie, Jack Sparrow is listening to all of his crimes/adventures as he's about to be executed. I'd like more stories like that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

aware of dog posted:

Tubi actually has some good stuff, weirdly, it’s just drowning in an ocean of poo poo

maybe they can snatch up Quibi and broadcast their content

on something besides a phone

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Julius CSAR posted:

I remember that there's a standard "Astronaut BBQ" scene at the start that had Dr Pepper in these containers that I thought were really cool at the time, and I thought about often because they just seemed extremely "futuristic" to me, but were basically just these

I will always defend Mission to Mars because I think it's in the category of "bland sci-fi". Totally great, nobody's phoning it in, but it's just something you could fall asleep to. 2010: The Year We Make Contact is another example.

Also I'm obsessed with the astronaut bbq trope.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Pirates 3 had a great soundtrack, and for that I can't completely hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzsqAjJnMdA

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

DorianGravy posted:

They showed it on Disney fairly frequently around Halloween. I believe it was made for the channel. I remember liking it as a kid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DorianGravy posted:

The thing is, I don't think you need to expand it very much. Just make a series of fun supernatural swashbuckling movies. Center the movies on different nautical folklore. There's no need for epic two-parters about the fate of the world. Towards the end of the first movie, Jack Sparrow is listening to all of his crimes/adventures as he's about to be executed. I'd like more stories like that.

Gotta love the grin when 'impersonating a member of the clergy' comes up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

DorianGravy posted:

There's a neat ps2 game called The Legend of Jack Sparrow that's entirely that last part - Jack and will are at their public hangings, and Jack is pulling a Scheherazade by making up ludicrous adventures to buy them time by entertaining their audience (some based on the first movie, some about things that were MENTIONED in the movies like how Jack took that one port town without firing a single shot, and some completely made up whole cloth weirdness involving a deal with the chinese that goes south and results in a fight with a dragon.)

That game owned.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I will always defend Mission to Mars because I think it's in the category of "bland sci-fi". Totally great, nobody's phoning it in, but it's just something you could fall asleep to. 2010: The Year We Make Contact is another example.

I’ve been to astronaut bbqs and I adore that Mission to Mars included one. It’s not a great movie, but it’s a fun 50s-60s space disaster flick that somehow got made 40 years too late. It’s a serious guilty pleasure of mine, to the point where I imported the German blu-ray just because it’ll never see a stateside release. The Morricone soundtrack is worth the price of admission alone, too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

There's a neat ps2 game called The Legend of Jack Sparrow that's entirely that last part - Jack and will are at their public hangings, and Jack is pulling a Scheherazade by making up ludicrous adventures to buy them time by entertaining their audience (some based on the first movie, some about things that were MENTIONED in the movies like how Jack took that one port town without firing a single shot, and some completely made up whole cloth weirdness involving a deal with the chinese that goes south and results in a fight with a dragon.)

That game owned.

We need more games that do things like this.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I unironically love 2010 and I think it'd be much better regarded if it didn't have to follow one of the all-time legends.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

aware of dog posted:

Everyone needs to watch Halloween at Old Aunt Ethels

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's too stupid and self-important to be entertaining, much like Ad Astra. It just makes me angry. 2010 doesn't hold a candle to 2001 but at least it's competently written.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DorianGravy posted:

This is a fan trailer.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Snowman_McK posted:

i feel like there's a good movie about the destruction of bruce willis' career to be made.

In retrospect he never should have left moonlighting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Speaking of nice bland science fiction here is the tiniest spoiler for the very excellent show For All Mankind:

There is an astronaut bbq.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Aren't astronaut backyard cookouts pretty standard for the genre? There's one in The Right Stuff, Apollo 13,.. I feel like if you're showing astronauts bonding on Earth, you're showing them at a bbq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Asylum has it's own block on Peacock, the NBC Universal streaming service. I think any free streaming service has their movies. They get around.

I mean, on the one hand good on em, I remember when they had maybe 2 or 3 movies out period, then while working in video stores I got to see the mockbuster thing really start to pick up.

On the other, 99% of what they produce is utterly poo poo. Occasionally they stumbled on a semi-decent knock off horror movie.