Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Letterboxd top reviews will always be a funny one liner. Its the same as steam and the top reddit comment. I would also prefer a more ~cinema site but that ain't happening. It is still the best site of its kind imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lampsacus posted:

Letterboxd top reviews will always be a funny one liner. Its the same as steam and the top reddit comment. I would also prefer a more ~cinema site but that ain't happening. It is still the best site of its kind imho
Criticker sort of avoids this because the reviews will be sorted by how much the person and you agree on movies, so it's not a popularity contest. Although it allows you to sort reviews by "stars" which is a popularity contest but it's not one that's dominated by one-liners so that's good I guess. Although I like funny one-liners.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I'm fine with one liners making up the top 3 reviews for a given movie. If you click through to the other popular reviews you tend to see more in depth write-ups. I think presenting longer reviews first would be intimidating, like it's saying you need to spend at least an hour on your review before you can correctly participate on the site.

What I don't like is that it's usually the same twelve users you see for every single thing.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just follow people who do good reviews

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
As a heads up, Letterboxd Pro is on sale today, 12 bucks.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

graventy posted:

Ah sweet, my Letterboxd Pro subscription was expiring tomorrow -- which makes me think I just bought a year on the same deal last year.

What's the normal annual price for Pro?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's normally 19 dollars

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Mine has too much time left on it to renew now. Oh well

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

graventy posted:

sweet, i have 408 days left of pro now

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I had been a Pro for a while but let my subscription lapse. The $12 deal has spurred me to jump back on, and I'm happy to see some cool new features. It's a tad obscured, but there's an awesome feature that allows you to tag a list with "owned" or "own" which adds additional visibility filters to either show or hide films you own. Freakin' awesome. Also the Services filtering is much improved (thanks to Justwatch).

$12 well loving spent.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's a tad obscured, but there's an awesome feature that allows you to tag a list with "owned" or "own" which adds additional visibility filters to either show or hide films you own. Freakin' awesome.

So I make a list of all my blu rays, tag it as owned, and then I can filter other lists to only show stuff I own?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tarnop posted:

So I make a list of all my blu rays, tag it as owned, and then I can filter other lists to only show stuff I own?

I just tested and that does appear to be how it works. That’s a pretty cool feature!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Tarnop posted:

Exactly.

I'm working on a Movies I Own list right now. Which is tough because I want to be thorough and also include any supplements that have their own Letterboxd entry. And I have over a 1,000 DVDs/Blu-rays...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Exactly.

I'm working on a Movies I Own list right now. Which is tough because I want to be thorough and also include any supplements that have their own Letterboxd entry. And I have over a 1,000 DVDs/Blu-rays...

I need to mark the special features on mine still but I've got a nearly 1.5k owned list. Took weeks to put together.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Vince MechMahon posted:

I need to mark the special features on mine still but I've got a nearly 1.5k owned list. Took weeks to put together.

Yeah it's rough. I haven't found a simple method for it outside of finding a list of features on a disc and manually testing each one to see if there's a Letterboxd entry.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah it's rough. I haven't found a simple method for it outside of finding a list of features on a disc and manually testing each one to see if there's a Letterboxd entry.

Criterion documentaries almost always have an entry there, and anything that's feature length has a good shot too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anything you want to add to Letterboxd like that, just make an entry on tmdb and then there’s a lb url you can run that forces an update. I did it for the Cody Showdy movie and it was straightforward.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
did anyone else start watching more movies than usual because they got a letterboxd account?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Have they made it easier to just rate movies as I watch them?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

bowmore posted:

did anyone else start watching more movies than usual because they got a letterboxd account?
For me it's the reverse - was watching more movies than usual due to quarantine, then started using my letterboxd account that I made in 2011 and never used. :coal:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Pillowpants posted:

Have they made it easier to just rate movies as I watch them?

I don’t remember it being ever being different but yes it’s very easy. Search for a movie, click on the Rate/Review button, rate it. Or click “Review or Log” to also specify the date you watched it and/or write something about it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

gey muckle mowser posted:

I don’t remember it being ever being different but yes it’s very easy. Search for a movie, click on the Rate/Review button, rate it. Or click “Review or Log” to also specify the date you watched it and/or write something about it.

Right but I want to be able to click a movie, rate it and then have it go to the next movie. Letterboxd doesn’t work like that

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What do you mean by ‘next movie’? How will it know what you’re watching next?

If you’re working in a list you can do these things via a little popover that gives you some basic controls for rating.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Pillowpants posted:

Right but I want to be able to click a movie, rate it and then have it go to the next movie. Letterboxd doesn’t work like that

Not totally sure what you mean but there’s a “carousel” view when browsing or looking at a list. You can swipe through and rate each one without having to go to the actual page for the film.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bowmore posted:

Yes. Since it allows me to keep a private list of all the movies that I randomly go "I want to watch that" its become a lot easier for me to go "I want to watch something... let me pull off that list" vs just throwing a sitcom, sports, news, or whatever on. So yeah, I'm definitely watching more movies with Letterboxd. I'm especially doing more "binges" and themed watch patterns because it makes it so easy to keep track of that and see what movie is "next."

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I find myself watching more high brow stuff than I probably would and getting to rate it through letterboxd is part of that for sure.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Covid/Work From Home has me watching more movies. I'm almost averaging a movie a day after barely watching anything from Jan - March. Currently at 323 total, only 19 of those are from before the last week of March.

Going to be hard to keep up the pace now that my wife has to use our movie room for teaching kiddos though.

On the CineD discord there's a bot setup to use Letterboxd, and it can be set to follow users so their reviews pull up. That's made me write more reviews for what I watch on Letterboxd. It's a great tool!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Going to be hard to keep up the pace now that my wife has to use our movie room for teaching kiddos though.

You know what you have to do.

:sever:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

You know what you have to do.

:sever:

I've tried to convince her teaching would be more comfortable sitting on our bed! She won't listen!

"other than that everything's perfect" - every relationships post

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My wife would use the corner of the basement with the litterbox before I'd let her take over my movie room.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
real talk,

our house is pretty small, i'm lucky to have a movie room at all.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I can't get the "own"/"owned" tag to give me a new sorting option.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

It worked for me, but took a few minutes to get added to my filter options. It's also in the middle of the filter options where I overlooked it for several more minutes before realizing I'm dumb.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

It's under the visibility menu, about 2/3 of the way down. Took me a bit to find it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's under the visibility menu, about 2/3 of the way down. Took me a bit to find it.

Ohhhh. The visibility menu! I was looking under "Sort By" and "Service".

Got it. Thanks!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Can we talk about the letterboxed user who logs his movies with the only diary information being the theater he saw the film at. :wtc:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hell, I saw a guy whose review was nothing but the codec and resolution information of the video he watched. I guess the nature of tagging just doesn't click with some people's brains.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’d take it over what some of the people trying to be the letterboxd equivalents to twitters dril or Brandy Jensen or anyone else weird and funny over in that hellsite post as reviews.

Anytime one of those avatars pop up as the most liked review for a movie it makes me want to watch it less.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

weekly font posted:

I’d take it over what some of the people trying to be the letterboxd equivalents to twitters dril or Brandy Jensen or anyone else weird and funny over in that hellsite post as reviews.

Anytime one of those avatars pop up as the most liked review for a movie it makes me want to watch it less.

Got an example of this? I THINK I know the sort of thing you're referring to but I'm not positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

Can we talk about the letterboxed user who logs his movies with the only diary information being the theater he saw the film at. :wtc:

lol that owns.

Letterboxd has helped me cut down on watching old repeats I forgot I already watched. It really pissed me off while watching Death Promise that halfway through I had the realization that I already saw this movie.

Still a great movie but I hate watching something thinking I’ve never seeing it then slowly realizing, no, my brain’s just turning to mush.