Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Spaces is great, and is exactly the type of thing that Apple really excels at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have got this a couple of times now since upgrading to Big Sur:

It just shows up on my desktop, it highlights when I hover over it like I can click it but nothing happens, I've tried quitting my apps one by one to see which it could be but it doesn't disappear even when I've quit everything and relaunched finder - only a reboot removes it. I am generally running the following apps:

Chrome
Fantastical
MS Outlook
MS Teams
Omnigraffle
MS OneNote
MS Word
MS Powerpoint
MS Excel
Whatsapp desktop
iTerm2
Spotify
Safari
TextEdit

Has anyone come across this before?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Big Sur still pops up "You need to re-enter your Exchange password" notifications with no way to re-enter your Exchange password

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

So I have a 2013 Mac Air, updated to Big Sur. Both before and after, iCloud photos will not sync. I go to iCloud in the main settings, select photos, it gives a think circle and then just nothing. remains unchecked.

is this a known issue, or any work around ?

Re posting , anyone run into this issue ?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

teppichporsche posted:

It's really interesting that basically all statistics applications are not able to run natively on ARM due to a lack of FORTRAN support, even modern ones like Julia. Seems like these things have been built on really shaky foundations.

this is mostly because BLAS and LAPACK (linear algebra libraries) really have no equivalent outside of FORTRAN and nearly all scientific computing relies on them. it's easier to port FORTRAN to a new platform than it is to write a performant linear algebra library in a supported language. it's kind of suprising apple hasn't done so

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Fallom posted:

Big Sur still pops up "You need to re-enter your Exchange password" notifications with no way to re-enter your Exchange password

Has to be done in System Preferences > Internet Accounts > your Exchange profile > Details > enter password where it says password

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Has to be done in System Preferences > Internet Accounts > your Exchange profile > Details > enter password where it says password

There is no such field in Details, just Description and Name

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 27, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Can you edit the password directly in Keychain Access?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm on Big Sur Beta 11.1. And for whatever reason Activity Monitor is using the most resources even though I just keep it open for the CPU history. Anyone else notice this? Googling didn't find anyone else having a similar problem.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

Ziploc posted:

I'm on Big Sur Beta 11.1. And for whatever reason Activity Monitor is using the most resources even though I just keep it open for the CPU history. Anyone else notice this? Googling didn't find anyone else having a similar problem.

Earlier today the "about this mac" was hammering the cpu on my 2018 or 2019 mbp too, really weird

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ziploc posted:

It’s been a hog for a while

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bob Morales posted:

It’s been a hog for a while

Argh. I've been using it for eons without such an issue. The history icon in the dock is good at catching programs that are acting funny.

But now IT'S the one acting funny.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone know what is causing the docker-desktop to appear here in iterm2? It’s been that way for a while now and I only vaguely recall it showing up when I installed docker on the MBP. I’ve uninstalled docker and tinkered with iterm, but it remains.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Re posting , anyone run into this issue ?

Haven’t heard of this unfortunately. I saw a few different articles to force a resync but not sure if that would solve the issue since you can’t even turn it on for some reason.

Can you maybe try creating a new Photos library and seeing if you can turn syncing on with the new one?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

IUG posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with the balance of music playing on their Mac, and for me, also their iPhone? For me, this has been a problem before Big Sur, but I only found out that it was happening recently in this case.

I'm playing a song that has the back and forth between the left and right speakers. (In this case, Tarantula by Smashing Pumpkins, about 1:30 in where the guitar solo moves from speaker to speaker.) The guitar solo playing from the right speaker is much louder/clearer than when it moves to the left speaker. I've had this happen in my car, but it has a blown speaker in the door there, so I thought it was just that. However, I noticed it was doing that from iTunes last night. I opened up the mp3 in Audacity, and found it is playing properly from that program however. I don't have an equalizer set for that song, or in iTunes in general. The balance is set properly in the System Preferences, which makes sense considering Audacity has no problem playing it properly.

Anyone else notice this? Or know how to fix it?

Your computer’s just trying to do you a solid and get you to stop listening to 2006-era Smashing Pumpkins

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Warbird posted:

Anyone know what is causing the docker-desktop to appear here in iterm2? It’s been that way for a while now and I only vaguely recall it showing up when I installed docker on the MBP. I’ve uninstalled docker and tinkered with iterm, but it remains.

That’s coming from your zsh config, not iterm2. Probably a plug-in that got enabled when you installed docker. I think the file to look in would be .zshrc in your home folder.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
I’m still stuck with a dead battery after bug sur upgrade. Google shows that others have had the same issue on 2016 mbps that have had the topcase replaced so tread with caution. I’m hoping it’s just a firmware bug and may try the beta to see if it goes away but I also might be looking a investing another $350 into it. If I had the money I’d say screw it and get the new air with 16gb and a 1tb hdd to replace it. All I use it fir is recording music and it looks like the m1 will make GarageBand and logic even faster.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

skull mask mcgee posted:

That’s coming from your zsh config, not iterm2. Probably a plug-in that got enabled when you installed docker. I think the file to look in would be .zshrc in your home folder.

Thanks, I’ll check it out

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

teppichporsche posted:

It's really interesting that basically all statistics applications are not able to run natively on ARM due to a lack of FORTRAN support, even modern ones like Julia. Seems like these things have been built on really shaky foundations.

the talent deficit posted:

this is mostly because BLAS and LAPACK (linear algebra libraries) really have no equivalent outside of FORTRAN and nearly all scientific computing relies on them. it's easier to port FORTRAN to a new platform than it is to write a performant linear algebra library in a supported language. it's kind of suprising apple hasn't done so

I thought the FORTRAN that came with GCC was ported everywhere and getting all of this stuff for Apple M1 was just a matter of recompiling / repackaging everything ... like it’ll be around when brew becomes available.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Coffee Jones posted:

I thought the FORTRAN that came with GCC was ported everywhere and getting all of this stuff for Apple M1 was just a matter of recompiling / repackaging everything ... like it’ll be around when brew becomes available.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/651476

Warbird
May 23, 2012

skull mask mcgee posted:

Turned out to be kubernetes. .kube went out the window and that was that. iirc I tried to install it via the Docker 4 Mac Desktop and it got hung up or something so that explains that. Appreciate the push in the right direction!

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Is anyone else having a weird issue on Big Sur that apps seems to go into a “sleep state” and don’t update until you bring them into the foreground?

There’s several times now that I’ve been getting messages on my iPhone for example and they don’t show up on the iMac until I click on Messages and ‘wake it up’.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I have been noticing the exact same thing. Messages and photos both doing that.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I've noticed it in Discord also, seems to update the Dock icon with new messages/mentions but won't update the app itself until you bring it to focus. Figured it was just a Discord thing but I guess it's something in Big Sur instead.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I have a 2018 Mac Mini with a 3 GHz 6-core Intel Core i5. I'm scared to install Big Sur. Will it slow down my computer? There's this thread about this nightmare happening on so many people's Macs.
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/651399

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Good Sphere posted:

I have a 2018 Mac Mini with a 3 GHz 6-core Intel Core i5. I'm scared to install Big Sur. Will it slow down my computer? There's this thread about this nightmare happening on so many people's Macs.

trade it in for an M1 Mini :mrgw:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Good Sphere posted:

It's been running fine on my mini with same processor. I don't do anything crazy though just web browsing, school work in safari, chrome and MS Word.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Friend's USB froze up when emptying trash and when the computer was rebooted the Time Machine volume shows up just fine but the other one is greyed out (unmounted?). Disk Utility Repair says "First Aid Process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume"

code:
Repairing file system
Volume is already unmounted
Performing fsck_exfat -y -x /dev/rdisk3s1
File system check exit code is 1
Restoring the original state found as unmounted
File system verify or repair failed.
'diskutil list' leads to..

code:
/dev/disk3 (external, physical):

0:  FDisk_partition_scheme  *2.0TB disk3
1:  Windows_NTFS  files    1.6TB    disk3s1
2:  Apple_HFS     Time     419.4GB  disk3s2 
That being NTFS baffles me. It was set up and has been used exclusively on a Mac. Can't think that is accurate.

'distil verifyDisk disk3' leads to...

code:
Unable to verify this whole disk: A GUID Partition Table (GPT) partitioning scheme is required (-69773) 
Reading that it seems like the partition table got corrupted somehow (would explain why it thinks it is NFTS). Is there a way to recover that without wiping it? Any other suggestions?

I tried single user mode but with the USB plugged in it just kept giving timeout errors. When it was plugged in after booting to single user mode it would not show up.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The following things:

quote:

Performing fsck_exfat -y -x /dev/rdisk3s1
1: Windows_NTFS files 1.6TB disk3s1

support the corrupt partition table theory, since First Aid tried to check the filesystem as ExFAT even though it shows up as NTFS in the partition table.

The fact that this all started when it froze up while emptying trash suggests the reason something got corrupted is that the disk is dying.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Ok Comboomer posted:

trade it in for an M1 Mini :mrgw:

Good point!

serebralassazin posted:

It's been running fine on my mini with same processor. I don't do anything crazy though just web browsing, school work in safari, chrome and MS Word.

Nice to know. I don't do anything too heavy either. But I want YouTube to playback well.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
YouTube's been working well in safari.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So my family still has some old flash content and games they like, are there any ways (standalone players?) to play .swfs going forward with its removal from so many browsers?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

So my family still has some old flash content and games they like, are there any ways (standalone players?) to play .swfs going forward with its removal from so many browsers?
I had some old .swf animation and I think Elmedia Player was the thing I found to play it, but no clue if it'll work for interactive content.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

BobHoward posted:

The following things:

support the corrupt partition table theory, since First Aid tried to check the filesystem as ExFAT even though it shows up as NTFS in the partition table.

The fact that this all started when it froze up while emptying trash suggests the reason something got corrupted is that the disk is dying.

Are there any other commands that might be worth a try? Any other suggestions before I say 'take it to a professional and pay them money if you really need the data off it'?

It's been tried in a different Mac.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quackles posted:

Can you edit the password directly in Keychain Access?

I found it in there and re-entered it. Hopefully that calms the complaints.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Anyone else having graphical glitches in BS? I updated a 2020 MBP 13" (Intel, 4TB ports) the week the OS update was released, and experience them pretty constantly.

Mostly stuff to do with text not adhering to dark or light mode. It comes and goes. Similar things happen with the Menu Bar text, occasionally.

Also, the minimized application preview icons seem to poo poo the bed after a while. Still fresh, so don't have a screenshot of the issue, but just imagine that the document preview behind the little MS Word icon was absent. When the glitch is happening, all of my minimized program representations will just be tiny app icons with transparent space where the preview should be.

Yesterday I had to restart because open applications were taking about a second to minimize. There was a notable delay between click and minimize action. Dragging files to copy in the Finder was choppy as well.

How soon until my Mac explodes?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My 2020 Intel MBP is kernel panicking if I leave it on my USB-C monitor overnight :(

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

My 2020 Intel MBP is kernel panicking if I leave it on my USB-C monitor overnight :(

I believe there were issues related to power nap causing kernel panics on recent releases of Catalina. I have a 13" 2020 MBP and turning it off helped the problem a few months back.

I just upgraded to Big Sur and turned it back on - hoping that it's fixed...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh, I guess Big Sur on MacBooks forces you to exercise the battery now:

Not shown: taskbar battery icon stuck at 79% despite being plugged in all night; had a micro panic attack. "Optimized battery charging" it's called. That's new, I think?

I'm glad this is a thing, because I fell victim to what they're trying to prevent a few years ago. Left my old MacBook plugged in virtually all of the time to "save" the battery, but instead, it just ended up swelling because I never drained it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Also, the minimized application preview icons seem to poo poo the bed after a while. Still fresh, so don't have a screenshot of the issue, but just imagine that the document preview behind the little MS Word icon was absent. When the glitch is happening, all of my minimized program representations will just be tiny app icons with transparent space where the preview should be.

Yeah I get that all the time now.