Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
3.5mm none withstanding, what would you recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
My Moto x4 is showing its age and has some trouble charging at this point. I'm looking for a replacement. Part of what drew me to the x4 in the first place was that it had all of the bands for all carriers (I think) so I could jump around based on whose network was best wherever I was. Currently on Verizon prepaid.

Country/Provider: USA/any. Verizon has the best coverage where I am, and I'm probably not in an area that's getting 5G anytime soon.

Current contract status: None

Budget (phone/plan): About $200. I'm perfectly happy buying a used phone. Currently on the Verizon prepaid 3GB data ($35/month).

Features I know I want:
Android
Expandable storage (I have a big music library and a lot of it is not streaming anywhere)
3.5mm plug would be great, but not essential
I prefer fingerprint to face unlock
Relatively clean Android install (my x4 has some Amazon stuff installed that I never use, don't want, and can't remove)
Unlocked
I'd like more internal storage than 32GB because I don't like having to manage that.
5G would be nice to have so that next time I move I can use it

Thanks for your help!

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I asked a similar question earlier and was looking at some of the newer Moto phones, the edge 5g or something like that was what I was looking at. A lot of the Motos still have expandable storage and headphone jacks. I looked at switching to iphone and it would cost a fortune in phone + accessories to get what a lot of android phones have built in still.

B&H Photo has an alright carrier compatibility tool when you look at their unlocked phone section but you really need to verify on the mfgs website as its not perfect.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Thanks, I'll take a look at the B&H site. Motorola has so many choices now that it feels like it would take more hours than I have to figure the right fit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Shopping for an older iPhone bargain

Any particular reason why I shouldn't buy a refurb iPhone X 256GB from Amazon? Any major shortcomings of this phone?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081TMCS8H/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Shopping for an older iPhone bargain

Any particular reason why I shouldn't buy a refurb iPhone X 256GB from Amazon? Any major shortcomings of this phone?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081TMCS8H/

It always depends on what you want, but it’s slower processor, lesser camera , and likely the battery isn’t 100% of a brand new phone. If it’s refurbished you might not be getting Apple certified parts, which can be a big deal.

$425 isn’t bad. Quick look on swappa, a 256GB iPhone X looks to be going $364-400. Used phone, so probably same potential lower capacity battery concern.

Honestly, unless you really want the iPhone X screen, I would get a SE brand new for $500 over a used X. All new parts, 1 year warranty, 2 year newer professor.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

It always depends on what you want, but it’s slower processor, lesser camera , and likely the battery isn’t 100% of a brand new phone. If it’s refurbished you might not be getting Apple certified parts, which can be a big deal.

$425 isn’t bad. Quick look on swappa, a 256GB iPhone X looks to be going $364-400. Used phone, so probably same potential lower capacity battery concern.

Honestly, unless you really want the iPhone X screen, I would get a SE brand new for $500 over a used X. All new parts, 1 year warranty, 2 year newer professor.

Face ID vs. Touch ID

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FaceID works great, except it's a huge liability in these uncertain times, so even if there wasn't a lot of good reasons to buy a new SE over a used X, that one is really the clincher, I think.

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015
As an essential retail worker, I'd go as far as to say that companies that don't disable facial recognition on their smartphone these days should perhaps be able to be sued for potentially exposing me to COVID because of idiots who lower their facemask to unlock their phone.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had upgraded from an Essential PH-1 to a OnePlus 7 Pro. It was all great until I realized the glass on the back of the case has been absolutely obliterated. I have dropped the phone but I think the main crack came from clamping it in my bike handlebar mount. Stuff online implies it cracks just from jiggling around in your pocket.

I wanted to upgrade my mom's phone too but I am not so sure any more. I would get a Samsung but she got used to the stock Android on her Essential PH-1. Is there a similar alternative for specs and user experience that is also more durable?

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Here's I guess an unusual question... What's a good semi-indestructable phone one could carry only for the purpose of calling 911? I'm a roofer, and I don't like keeping my phone on me while I'm working. However it's a job where accidents can happen, and having to run back to the truck to call an ambulance could be bad in a scenario where someone is badly hurt. Or if I'm the one hurt and can't get to my phone. I was thinking it might be smart to buy a small, cheap, tough phone with long battery life that could be hooked to my tool belt just in case. Can you still get a version of the old Nokia brick, and would it still work for emergency calls on modern cell networks?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When I've looked at "Nokia bricks", I believe they were limited to AT&T networks (based no bands they supported).

I have my dad on Ting, but it looks like they changed plans in the years since I set it up:
https://ting.com/
For him, it's like $5/month, then a fee for however many minutes he uses. Since it's just an emergency phone, that's $0. Now it looks like the cheapest plans are $10/month and seem to be geared toward smartphones. You can bring your own device but I saw this post:
https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360051802273-Cheapest-burner-I-could-find-Is-it-compatable-
and it seems like they are steering people away from using dumbphones as they won't support VoLTE.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Thanks, yeah I wasn't intending to get a plan of any kind, just relying on the FCC mandate that all phones are supposed to be able to call 911 regardless of whether there's a SIM in them or not.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Probably any old flip phone in one of those leather pouches that go on your belt would work? Assuming you wear a belt. Stuff in pockets gets smashed easily, but chances are pretty low that an accident would hit you in the belt pouch zone.

e: Sonim phones are supposed to be rugged as hell, but you pay extra for that.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 20, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rockear posted:

Here's I guess an unusual question... What's a good semi-indestructable phone one could carry only for the purpose of calling 911? I'm a roofer, and I don't like keeping my phone on me while I'm working. However it's a job where accidents can happen, and having to run back to the truck to call an ambulance could be bad in a scenario where someone is badly hurt. Or if I'm the one hurt and can't get to my phone. I was thinking it might be smart to buy a small, cheap, tough phone with long battery life that could be hooked to my tool belt just in case. Can you still get a version of the old Nokia brick, and would it still work for emergency calls on modern cell networks?

You’ll want to get an updated phone that makes calls over 4G. All phones must make calls over 911, whether service is paid for or not, but an older 3G phone May not pickup signal anymore.

Above poster is correct, Sonim is crazy durable, they just run $300ish. Kyocera still makes their Duraforce phones , which are $240 new, but since they’re sold to regular customers (Sonim is pretty business only focused) you can probably find one used on eBay for cheaper. Just make sure it isn’t the old 3G model.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Awesome that's exactly what I needed to know thanks.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I don't know if "phablet" is still a word, but anyway, if I'm accustomed to using cheap, serviceable phones (like my current Moto G5 Plus and previous Note 3), don't care about 5G, and want a bigass screen, is the Moto G Stylus my best option? The Moto G5 Plus is starting to feel a bit slow, and I miss having the larger screen like the Note had.

My carrier is Ting.

e: Pixel XLs going for ~$400 on Swappa would be on the higher end of what I care to spend, but if there's a compelling reason to look at it over the Moto G Stylus, then I'm open to considering it.

e2: Looks like the Moto G Power might be better for me than the Stylus, since I don't need the stylus itself and the Power appears to have better battery life. 64GB internal storage hasn't been a problem for me on the G5 Plus, as I backup my photos off the device and don't have a ton of games installed.

e3: I'm just gonna get the G Power. Seems like it ticks my boxes for under $200.

Shine fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 22, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Currently my wife and I are on a sprint unlimited plan, used to get a discount through her old job that has now been removed from the account, given we're not in love with the sprint coverage we are looking at options. She runs an iphone and I like the samsung galaxy line. We have comcast for internet so we are considering getting their xfinity cell service (verizon towers I believe), or Verizon or ATT. No T-mobile as they are doing the sprint merger thing and no googlefi or whatever since she wants to stay on apple.

Any advice or thoughts on xfinity/verizon/att? We liked having the unlimited plan although currently pandemic wise we aren't doing much traveling so it's less useful, I think we still want to keep some form of "unlimited" though?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Unable-to-disable-automatic-connection-to-Xfinity-Wi-Fi/td-p/3351621

If this is true, it would make me run the gently caress away from XM

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

Currently my wife and I are on a sprint unlimited plan, used to get a discount through her old job that has now been removed from the account, given we're not in love with the sprint coverage we are looking at options. She runs an iphone and I like the samsung galaxy line. We have comcast for internet so we are considering getting their xfinity cell service (verizon towers I believe), or Verizon or ATT. No T-mobile as they are doing the sprint merger thing and no googlefi or whatever since she wants to stay on apple.

Any advice or thoughts on xfinity/verizon/att? We liked having the unlimited plan although currently pandemic wise we aren't doing much traveling so it's less useful, I think we still want to keep some form of "unlimited" though?

XFinity the main downsides is lower priority on towers than Verizon customers and of course, Comcast customer care. Also, you are locked into Comcast internet so you can’t switch if they raise your internet price. I don’t know 100% of course, but I have a feeling that’s why their plans are sometimes cheaper.

FYI Xfinity does what all base unlimited plans as well: standard def video and potential throttling on congested towers. Which can be fine, I just don’t know if they even have the option to pay a bit more for priority data.

What iPhone and Samsung model do you have ? Right now, Verizon is doing $550 trade in towards a Samsung S20, or a $700 trade in towards an iPhone 12 (so you both can qualify), but it does depend on how old the model is. $300 switcher cards on top of that.

Verizon your plan would be $150 for 2 people if you are ok with autopay with checking account, $170 if you are not. That’s a priority data plan, which the trade in and gift cards require.

For Verizon , feel free to post here; the Verizon thread of PM and I don’t mind answering any questions (if you do order Verizon online I have a referral code if you want it). The question is mostly what you want your monthly to be, and I’m guessing that’s what has you looking at Xfinity.

Cant speak ATT directly , but honestly with Black Friday now is a fairly good time to switch to whichever carrier you choose.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thanks for the infos, yeah xfinity downsides seem to offset the savings. Cost wise its one of those things where I don't want to spend money I don't *need* to but willing to spend to get better service etc.

We have iphone X and Samsung S8 currently.

Duckman didn't you used to work for Sprint? Working Verizon now? I will def PM you as we get ready to pull the trigger.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thanks for the infos, yeah xfinity downsides seem to offset the savings. Cost wise its one of those things where I don't want to spend money I don't *need* to but willing to spend to get better service etc.

We have iphone X and Samsung S8 currently.

Duckman didn't you used to work for Sprint? Working Verizon now? I will def PM you as we get ready to pull the trigger.

Yeah, I did a few years at Sprint and ATT, been at Verizon now over 5 years. Time flies.

Feel free to PM any questions , but with those two phones:

Plan is $150 ($80 + $70, iPhone on Get More Unlimited, Samsung on Do More Unlimited) , with autopay

iPhone X will trade in for $700 towards any 12.

Samsung S8 is a little less, it’ll trade in for $400 towards any S20 series (Samsung FE and up)

You will get 2 $400 gift cards ordering online. Use them to pay your Verizon bill.

Plan also gives you Disney package of Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu. It also will give you one line of Apple Music (not 2 unless you pay $10 more). It’s premium data and 15GB hotspot each.

Promo will also give you 12 months of PlayStation now if you happen to be a gamer.

Promos go until Nov 25, they will change thanksgiving. Black Friday promos vary, but since it’s one iPhone , one android, a potential BOGO won’t help you so this may be the best option.

Def feel free to PM on any questions and for a referral code.

Edit: FYI Verizon will give you a discount if anyone on your plan is Military, First Responder, Teacher or Nurse.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 22, 2020

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

My Nokia 8 has developed bright and dark patches on the screen and the battery life has tanked, which I've read are both signs the battery is damaged, so I might need to replace it soon.

I'm cheap, so I have a habit of buying used flagship models rather than the latest and greatest. I've been looking for second-hand Nokia 9 pureviews since they seem to go for about 200–250€. What else was good in 2019 and could expect a couple of years of updates?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

My Nokia 8 has developed bright and dark patches on the screen and the battery life has tanked, which I've read are both signs the battery is damaged, so I might need to replace it soonneed to replace it immediately.

I'm cheap, so I have a habit of buying used flagship models rather than the latest and greatest. I've been looking for second-hand Nokia 9 pureviews since they seem to go for about 200–250€. What else was good in 2019 and could expect a couple of years of updates?

Don't gently caress around with lithium batteries. Once they start to swell, they're done for and they need to be gone.

Have we learned nothing from the Note 7?

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Anyone have an opinion about which is a better buy for ≈$200: Moto G Stylus or Samsung A51?

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Trying to pick a new phone, as I just dropped my iPhone 6S and smashed the screen.

Mostly use my phone for Slack/Twitter/browsing, texting, simple apps. No gaming. Would like wireless charging and a headphone port, but it looks like most phones have one or the other :/

Considering:
Samsung S20 FE: it's like ~$350 with a Verizon contract, and seems to be very powerful. But comes with Samsung bloatware, and that feels like enough to be a deal breaker. Plus it's huge
Pixel 5: $500 from BestBuy right now, seems to be a premium phone at sub premium price. Good camera, good battery, not too big which I like
Pixel 4a: $350, not too big, has a headphone jack but lacks wireless charging which I want.
iPhone 12 Mini: Most expensive at ~$760, has the smallest form factor and most power, which is the big draw. But Apple pisses me off, they're expensive

anything else I should be considering?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Trying to pick a new phone, as I just dropped my iPhone 6S and smashed the screen.

Mostly use my phone for Slack/Twitter/browsing, texting, simple apps. No gaming. Would like wireless charging and a headphone port, but it looks like most phones have one or the other :/

Considering:
Samsung S20 FE: it's like ~$350 with a Verizon contract, and seems to be very powerful. But comes with Samsung bloatware, and that feels like enough to be a deal breaker. Plus it's huge
Pixel 5: $500 from BestBuy right now, seems to be a premium phone at sub premium price. Good camera, good battery, not too big which I like
Pixel 4a: $350, not too big, has a headphone jack but lacks wireless charging which I want.
iPhone 12 Mini: Most expensive at ~$760, has the smallest form factor and most power, which is the big draw. But Apple pisses me off, they're expensive

anything else I should be considering?

Why not a SE2 (~$399 retail 150 locked for 6mo)? It's cheap and you don't game anyway. No headphone jack, has wireless charging though

Samsung bloatware is miserably bad.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
If you're looking at Apple but don't like the cost, why not an iPhone SE? Costco's selling them right now for $340, the performance is still on par with a lot of Android flagships, and the longer time-to-replacement for Apple phones means you might just be able to stretch it out until 5G is worth having.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My dad is talking about getting a plan from consumer cellular. Are they total crap or acceptable for someone that won't use their phone for much?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The iphone SE battery is pretty bad, and the camera really can't stand up to any of those other options. A Pixel 5 for $500 is the buy imo, it has ridiculously good battery, display, fingerprint sensor, camera, and unless you play really high end games, you're not going to notice any performance difference between it and something like the S20 FE (and the P5 outperforms the FE in some performance things anyway).

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

If you're looking at Apple but don't like the cost, why not an iPhone SE? Costco's selling them right now for $340, the performance is still on par with a lot of Android flagships, and the longer time-to-replacement for Apple phones means you might just be able to stretch it out until 5G is worth having.

I started with Android, switched to Apple, now I don't really care. It seems like you pay extra for the Apple name, is that no longer the case? Sounds like it if a $340 phone can compete with a $800 android flagship

sourdough posted:

The iphone SE battery is pretty bad. A Pixel 5 for $500 is the buy imo, it has ridiculously good battery, display, fingerprint sensor, camera, and unless you play really high end games, you're not going to notice any performance difference between it and something like the S20 FE (and the P5 outperforms the FE in some performance things anyway).

Yeah battery life is very important to me, the 5 is where I'm leaning (though the $500 price may not be available on my plan, so it may be more like $650 :/)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

taqueso posted:

My dad is talking about getting a plan from consumer cellular. Are they total crap or acceptable for someone that won't use their phone for much?

They're decent. They work very hard for those JD Power ratings and it's like $20 for unlimited talk and text, so basic. They just bulk buy from AT&T and cater to olds for their customer service. They also offer no plans to buy phones other than a 0% interest rate. And they probably still sell flip phones if that appeals.

They have a tiered data plan that notches up as you use it but the gotcha is that you have to set it back down every billing period or pay the full price of what you used the previous month.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Thom Yorke raps posted:

I started with Android, switched to Apple, now I don't really care. It seems like you pay extra for the Apple name, is that no longer the case? Sounds like it if a $340 phone can compete with a $800 android flagship

You pay a ton of money to look like the most up-to-date, fancy Apple (or Samsung) user, with a big square multi-camera bump with weird looking extra optics and an all-screen front face.

The SE very deliberately looks like an iPhone 8 because the tooling to make the chassis is long since paid off, and because it's the "I don't give a poo poo about a fancy image and I'm not willing to pay for that" phone. Everything about it is cost-minimized and it leans on Apple's parts bin as much as possible. It's just that Apple has a really excellent parts bin, including a SoC that's the result of several years of throwing near-infinite money at a very good silicon design team. The situation isn't quite as ridiculous as it was at launch, when Apple dropped a $400 phone with the fastest mobile processor in the world because they just had one of those kicking around, but it's still more than competitive at the high end and excellent in its price range.

But, if battery life is a big concern for you, it's probably not the best option. One other consequence of that minimal-cost approach is that the battery doesn't have a ton of capacity - that's thanks to the smaller body and, probably, cost-cutting as well. I would bet that the product design strategy went something like "how many mAh does the 80th percentile user use in a day? Throw a bit of margin on there for battery degradation and that's our target, we don't need to design or pay for any more than that." The SE's camera is also thoroughly midrange, it has fingerprint rather than face unlock, and the screen is just pretty good instead of excellent.

So, in terms of what it can compete with, it's still a good midrange device without any glaring compromises or major pain points - which is all most people actually need. The faster SoC isn't even really all that important right now; the biggest win is that it means the phone will probably stay usable until Apple turns off updates in 4 years or so. The reason it's a go-to recommendation is that a $400-450ish lifetime cost (the phone plus a $50 battery replacement) amortized over 4 years is a pretty drat good deal.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If you're indifferent about ios vs android, or prefer the latter, the Pixel 4a is $350 (or less on sale?) for 128gb storage, good battery and display, a camera that goes head to head with flagships, and updates for 3 years. The iphone SE is good for an ios equivalent, but the 4a nails a few things it struggles with. It's good enough that the Pixel 5 is actually kind of a bad value, despite being the cheapest flagship and good in its own right, because the 4a stacks up so well.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

sourdough posted:

If you're indifferent about ios vs android, or prefer the latter, the Pixel 4a is $350 (or less on sale?) for 128gb storage, good battery and display, a camera that goes head to head with flagships, and updates for 3 years. The iphone SE is good for an ios equivalent, but the 4a nails a few things it struggles with. It's good enough that the Pixel 5 is actually kind of a bad value, despite being the cheapest flagship and good in its own right, because the 4a stacks up so well.

I pulled the trigger on the Pixel 5, for $200 more than the 4a ($300 vs $500) for a 33% bigger battery, better processor, and more RAM seems worth it to me, even though it trades the headphone port for wireless charging. If it was $350 vs $700, like it was pre Black Friday, I woulda gone with the 4a

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thom Yorke raps posted:

I pulled the trigger on the Pixel 5, for $200 more than the 4a ($300 vs $500) for a 33% bigger battery, better processor, and more RAM seems worth it to me, even though it trades the headphone port for wireless charging. If it was $350 vs $700, like it was pre Black Friday, I woulda gone with the 4a

Yeah, I got a 4a first and was not going to worry about the 5, but google was giving $130 for my wife's Pixel 3a in fairly bad cosmetic shape so went for a 5 afterwards. I would've been completely happy with the 4a, but the 5 is definitely worth a bit more, just not $350 more.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

taqueso posted:

Target's electronic department services/sells Consumer Cellular, so if your dad's having phone problems you can just tell him to go to Target. Highly recommended for that alone.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MorrisBae posted:

Target's electronic department services/sells Consumer Cellular, so if your dad's having phone problems you can just tell him to go to Target. Highly recommended for that alone.

This is not technically correct. They have CC reps during certain hours but anyone in a red shirt can and will help. YMMV

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm on Verizon, and I'm thinking of getting a Pixel 5. My current phone is a Galaxy s6 that's really giving up the ghost with terrible battery life and a basic inability to open more than a couple apps at a time. I like to have a high-quality camera, but otherwise mostly use my phone for browsing Facebook/Something Awful, listening to podcasts and audiobooks, and making calls on a Bluetooth headset. Are there any downsides to a Pixel 5 that I should know about before pulling the trigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kenning posted:

I'm on Verizon, and I'm thinking of getting a Pixel 5. My current phone is a Galaxy s6 that's really giving up the ghost with terrible battery life and a basic inability to open more than a couple apps at a time. I like to have a high-quality camera, but otherwise mostly use my phone for browsing Facebook/Something Awful, listening to podcasts and audiobooks, and making calls on a Bluetooth headset. Are there any downsides to a Pixel 5 that I should know about before pulling the trigger?

It's a bit small, but coming from an S6 that's no big deal. No SD card but none on the S6 either. The earpiece isn't great but you said you use a headset on calls so no worries there. I'd say for you there aren't any downsides at all.