Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Hi tech goons,

I am looking for recommendations for a tech solution to track my father's position. He is old, suffers dementia, and loves to go for walks. The problem is that he wanders a bit off course sometimes up to a mile from his stated path. This is in the wilderness and soon to be back in suburbia. Shock collars, alarms, wireless fences have all been considered. While we do our best to ask him what is up, where he is going, go with him, ask him to call back to the house in 20 minutes, etc, its tough to implement a robust solution. There have been times where he has woken up at 3:30am gotten fully dressed and was planning to go for a walk in the woods, at 30F temperatures outside. Tracking devices from Prime Tracking have been used but have intermittent performance and success, but that is being worked on as well.

One solution that has been suggested is using an old iphone and have it be a dedicated tracking device. My mom is the main tracker, she is way more tech savvy than I am when it comes to smartphones and apps; but I figured I could at least run the question by goons for solutions/suggestions.

The specific question is what iphone generation will work and still be supported for a few years? Where is a good place to buy such an older, refurbished iphone at a decent price? What app does my mom need to download to operate the tracking? I believe she has an XR? Iphone upgrade just purchased about a year ago.

We recognize in our woodland area, any cell-based device is sketchy due to remoteness/coverage. When they get back to suburbs though, cell coverage should not be a problem.

Help me SH/SC, you're my only hope! not really, I just wanted to type that, but any ideas and suggestions would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You should really look into dedicated solutions for dimentia patients. I think this is beyond an old iphone.

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.
You can use the built in software to track a phones position with another iPhone:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201087

You need iOS 13 or later for it I think so anything on this list will work:

https://consideringapple.com/ios-13-compatible-devices/442/

I had good luck buying a refurbed iPhone from https://www.backmarket.com/refurbished-iphone.html but you can hunt around for a good deal.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

RichestManInTown posted:

You can use the built in software to track a phones position with another iPhone:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201087

You need iOS 13 or later for it I think so anything on this list will work:

https://consideringapple.com/ios-13-compatible-devices/442/

I had good luck buying a refurbed iPhone from https://www.backmarket.com/refurbished-iphone.html but you can hunt around for a good deal.

That location sharing function seems what we are looking for. Much appreciated.
So any decent phone that has ios 13 capacity is what to consider?

Don Lapre posted:

You should really look into dedicated solutions for dimentia patients. I think this is beyond an old iphone.

Yeah no doubt, it is a learning curve and balancing act for our family. Hospitals, doctors, mental training, pills, diet, exercise, and all that are and have been used so far. We are years into it. Just building up the tech edge with this approach.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Internetjack posted:

Yeah no doubt, it is a learning curve and balancing act for our family. Hospitals, doctors, mental training, pills, diet, exercise, and all that are and have been used so far. We are years into it. Just building up the tech edge with this approach.

I can we have been really happy with medical guardian for my mom, but weve only used their fallen and i cant get up type products. But we didn't have to buy equipment and didn't have to sign a contract or anything.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Internetjack posted:

The Apple Watches with data enabled also have cellular/GPS/find my functions if that would be cheaper/easier for your dad.

I haven't had any trouble with my series 4 when it comes to making calls / tracking runs and hikes without a phone on me, but I also agree with the other poster that maybe a dedicated solution is best for reliability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

Yeah I feel like an Apple Watch with cellular enabled is a good option (all subject to cost being ok, someone remembers to charge it and he puts it on). It does need to be paired with a phone however.

The watch has the benefit of having some options to call an emergency number if it detects a fall or lack of movement for some time. You can also talk through it, knight rider style so I often take it out hiking instead of carrying my phone.