Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ShoogaSlim posted:

there is not a single aspect of the PS5 UI that isn't a step backwards from PS4 and that isn't dog poo poo

It's 4k HDR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

It's the most stunningly realistic, well lit dog poo poo ever!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

there is not a single aspect of the PS5 UI that isn't a step backwards from PS4 and that isn't dog poo poo

Luckily everything runs 10 times faster on PS5, so I feel like it's a wash. But it shouldn't be a wash. The PS5 UI should be better than this especially when PS4 did everything better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I never had a PS4 but I played it a couple times in a gamer cafe and found it confusing

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still use my PS3 and I prefer the PS3 interface to the PS4‘s. Am I going to prefer the PS4’s to the PS5’s?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The PS4 UI wasn't perfect but things that needed to be front and center were intuitive and easy to find. The PS5 feels like navigating a poorly conceived social media website or something. The basic UI is pretty manageable but I find stuff like settings not being mapped to the toolbar baffling, there's a lot of little things like that, but it's all pretty forgivable.

All of the social stuff is just inexcusably bad though. It's like a high dive back flip in the wrong direction from the PS4, or at least the PS4 before the last terrible update they did. All of that stuff is still somehow worse on PS5 than PS4 even after the update though. It's seriously one of the worst things I have ever seen a company do to a console.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the worst thing by far is it not defaulting to installed games in the library, or having a way to pin games to the main menu

edit: this means it is conceivably like 12 button presses from the menu in order to access a game whose disc is currently in the system.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 30, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

The ps4 was the same way vs ps3 originally too. They love to do this

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm finally gonna play Astro's Playroom tomorrow because I finally got done with 13 Sentinels (which has become my surprise GotY 2020 frontrunner, maybe, it's that or Hades) though I am gonna need a little time to reassemble the tiny fragments of my mind.

I enjoy the irony that I broke in my PS5 with a game that already ran at a flawless 60fps and loaded every scene instantaneously on the PS4.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The dumbest thing about the PS5 UI I found tonight is that a trophy popped but when I clicked the PS button to see what the trophy description was, it went to the home screen for some reason instead of expanding the popup (I guess I held it for a split second too long?), and then there was no way to find the trophy again without going into my user profile, finding the trophy section, finding the game, then sorting by most recently used. Who thought it was a good idea for the game card list to show a bunch of trophies I don't even have and not show me anything about the trophy I just got?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What services does the PS5 support automatic screenshot uploading to? Still just Twitter, Facebook and their own service?

I just want it to automatically send it to my Google photos account or something, so I can share it with people individually on messaging apps.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I agree it's bad but you should be able to see the details of the last trophy you got from your notification list, FYI.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

What services does the PS5 support automatic screenshot uploading to? Still just Twitter, Facebook and their own service?

I just want it to automatically send it to my Google photos account or something, so I can share it with people individually on messaging apps.

They changed nothing about the Screenshot upload functionality

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Handsome Wife posted:

I agree it's bad but you should be able to see the details of the last trophy you got from your notification list, FYI.
Are you sure? I can't check at the moment, but that's the first place I looked and it just had a bunch of stuff about things being added to my download list. Is it a separate section or something?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ornamented Death posted:

Just to reiterate this point, in the last week I picked up YK, YK2, Remastered Collection, and Y6 for 50 bucks total. Add in my purchase of Y0 on Steam a year or so ago for ten bucks and that's a frankly absurd amount of quality gaming for the cost of one new video game.

Fantastic deal. And not to mention that if you even get a little into the game and do a decent amount of stuff outside mainlining the story, each game could last 50 hours. Easily. So this guy for the price of $50 got 300+ hours of yakuza goodness.

Seriously (unless you're Policenaut) the best way to play each yakuza game is to do as much as you feel like, then progress the story when you run out of stuff and repeat. You'll get a ton of playtime out of each. Just don't be a completionist because I think Policenaut is the only dude sane and patient enough to have a platinum trophy for each of them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ShoogaSlim posted:

just be like me and not have played a PS4 so the UI seems fine

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm too lazy to get good at Mahjong and Shoji to come close to completing the Yakuza games in full, finishing all the substories is pretty fun though.

Judgement is typically 20$ or less these days too, good story but I ended up really hating the stupid tailing missions and chase sequences

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

eonwe posted:

just be like me and not have played a PS4 so the UI seems fine

Yeah it's a little stupid sometimes (why can't I just hold the PS button to put the drat thing to sleep?) but honestly it's fine

Also PS+ having a bunch of AAA titles makes this an insane value proposition if you skipped a PS4, I'm playing God of War for the first time and having a blast

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Gonna play Demon's Souls in cinematic mode. I know the Haters will say 60 fps all the way, but I hardly even notice the difference from my sofa and the game looks so incredible.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They changed nothing about the Screenshot upload functionality
I guess I’ll still just be taking photos of my TV screen then...

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

PantsBandit posted:

Gonna play Demon's Souls in cinematic mode. I know the Haters will say 60 fps all the way, but I hardly even notice the difference from my sofa and the game looks so incredible.
In most circumstances I could see making the trade off but I literally cannot tell the visual difference between cinematic and framerate mode in Demon's Souls.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess I’ll still just be taking photos of my TV screen then...

The UX/UI stuff is generally worse than the ps4 other than loading speed and definitely needs to patched, a lot. It feels like some apple design school reject made it or Julie Uhrmans old Ouja UI team found a sanctuary

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In a perfect world, as soon as I hit the screenshot function it would somehow save a picture on my phone, so I can send it to people on messaging apps. It would also be acceptable if as soon as I hit the screenshot button it uploaded to their cloud service so I could download it through their app, but even that seems far away right now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Volte posted:

The dumbest thing about the PS5 UI I found tonight is that a trophy popped but when I clicked the PS button to see what the trophy description was, it went to the home screen for some reason instead of expanding the popup (I guess I held it for a split second too long?), and then there was no way to find the trophy again without going into my user profile, finding the trophy section, finding the game, then sorting by most recently used. Who thought it was a good idea for the game card list to show a bunch of trophies I don't even have and not show me anything about the trophy I just got?

As a huge trophy fan, mechanically the trophy system got much, much better with PS5 (Xbox/Steam-style tracking is a godsend) but the presentation is a marked step back in almost every way. They brought back PS3 style bubbles, which is fine, but they changed the ding sound to a blunk and it's not as cheerful. You used to be able to hold PS button on PS4 and get the entire trophy list on the quick menu, but on PS5 you only get relevant content-based trophies (i.e. the level you're in in Demon's Souls) and a few tracked trophies alongside, and to get to the list itself you have to hit PS button, tap down, tap right, go to the trophy list option, tap X to open. It's very cumbersome and slow to get to. I appreciate that now accessing further details about a trophy no longer requires going to a new menu so you can view it while in the standard PS button menu, but viewing Hidden Trophies became more cumbersome as on PS4 it was just Tap Square but now you have to tap Options then tap X to view it.

It showing trophies you haven't unlocked on PS button press is fine because the intended purpose is for you to real time track your progress on trophies you're working on completing, but my problem with that is there appears to be no way to manually "pin" what trophies the game is tracking on that quick look. I'm playing Dead by Daylight, a game with a ton of trophies with progress to track sometimes in the hundreds of actions completed, and sometimes the game just goes "I know you want to know how many damaged generators you've repaired, but how about knowing you're 30% of the way to getting the Prestiged 3 Times Trophy?" No, I don't need to know that! I'm working on that LATER! Show me the trophy for times I healed someone from the Dying state!

The new platinum icon is okay, and I appreciate that they actually have a unique sound to differentiate a regular trophy to a platinum trophy, but I dislike that there's no granular trophy recording options. You can choose to record video and/or take a screenshot, which is fine, but there's no option to go "I want you to record AND screenshot WHEN it's a platinum." It's a little thing I think they could add later that I'd really love to have.

I know this post is all about one specific feature but there's a lot of little things about it that could be tweaked for some major improvements.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the trophy notifications are so boring. rare xbox cheevos make them look like poo poo

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

The PS5 feels like navigating a poorly conceived social media website or something.

Social media and every single hardware's insistence on pushing it to the forefront of everything we see or hear will be the downfall of society.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

This is a weird and bad take.

Edit: what in the gently caress are people talking about when they say “the social media stuff” on the PS5 UI? I don’t see anything outside my games and streaming services, except the PS store and “explore”. Are you all hooking your ps5 up to your Facebook or something?

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 30, 2020

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
PS4 UI Pros: The absolute top shelf stuff you use daily is front and center, which is amazingly intuitive

PS4 UI Cons: finding something you don't use daily requires endless patience

-

PS5 UI Pros: Gaming and media being split and everything ordered by usage is great

PS5 UI Cons: poo poo I single tapped the PS Butoon instead of long-pressing, wait, so now I have to... ok circle then long press

-

I feel like, with time, I'll get used to it and it will be more intuitive. But for the time being the PS button serving two functions is wrecking my muscle memory. It's just raw instinct now after 8 years of owning a PS4.

This concludes this month's issue of Upper First World Problems.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

PS4 UI Pros: The absolute top shelf stuff you use daily is front and center, which is amazingly intuitive

PS4 UI Cons: finding something you don't use daily requires endless patience

-

PS5 UI Pros: Gaming and media being split and everything ordered by usage is great

PS5 UI Cons: poo poo I single tapped the PS Butoon instead of long-pressing, wait, so now I have to... ok circle then long press

-

I feel like, with time, I'll get used to it and it will be more intuitive. But for the time being the PS button serving two functions is wrecking my muscle memory. It's just raw instinct now after 8 years of owning a PS4.

This concludes this month's issue of Upper First World Problems.

The PS4 ps button was dual use, too. Short press brought up the XMB, long press brought up the sidebar.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Some of the UI stuff is baffling to me, like I just had to look at more than one google search result to figure out how to view the gallery of my screenshots/clips.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So I know most people’s PS5s are quiet. Mine definitely isn’t. I can hear a kind of buzzing or humming when playing something, it’s very noticeable, and I think it’s the SSD? Is that even a thing? Maybe the fan? I dunno. It’s almost got kind of a rattle to it. I only hear it when the console is running a game and I’ll also hear it make noises that match up with something, say, loading.

I haven’t had any games crash on me, the system seems stable besides the home menu crashing and resetting once in a while.

This seems abnormal but harmless. Should I be worried though?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

arbybaconator posted:

What. What is this

Well, you can play a large selection of ps3 games on ps5 and when you load them up they get added to your game library with their own icon, so you can have entire series which dont have native ps4/5 ports, next to each other when browsing your library. You can also upload all your ps3 saves to the cloud and download them for use on ps5 in a way that makes the ps5 ui seem like the best ui ever. and you can still get all the trophies for them (cept dmc4!!)

Only problem is, is that its all done via streaming. :negative: the lag seems better tho from what i played of vf2 last night and no drop in quality, but even i can see the stuble streaming artifacts.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

man nurse posted:

So I know most people’s PS5s are quiet. Mine definitely isn’t. I can hear a kind of buzzing or humming when playing something, it’s very noticeable, and I think it’s the SSD? Is that even a thing? Maybe the fan? I dunno. It’s almost got kind of a rattle to it. I only hear it when the console is running a game and I’ll also hear it make noises that match up with something, say, loading.

I haven’t had any games crash on me, the system seems stable besides the home menu crashing and resetting once in a while.

This seems abnormal but harmless. Should I be worried though?

Sounds like the fan, people have reported that there is a sticker that sometimes is out of place inside that ends up catching against the fan blades. Hard to say if the extra stress on the fan will cause it to fail earlier than expected.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Sounds like the fan, people have reported that there is a sticker that sometimes is out of place inside that ends up catching against the fan blades. Hard to say if the extra stress on the fan will cause it to fail earlier than expected.

Also reports of 2...or maybe 3 different types of fans being used in the same model # PS5s, with slight variations on number of blades and decibel level (like a 4 decibel difference so practically nothing)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
The sound issue is a mix of that sticker and vibrations from the fan casings metal on metal. People have fixed it with o rings. I can hear the same thing when i lay my ear on the ps5 but its pretty quiet otherwise, and i think i have the louder fan style too when i took the top plate off.

Some people think its coil whine but i dont think it is based on all the videos ive seen where you cant even hear a drat thing other than the fan buzz sticker/vibration thing. Its joycon drift/aquarium doom posting all over again.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

This is a weird and bad take.

Edit: what in the gently caress are people talking about when they say “the social media stuff” on the PS5 UI? I don’t see anything outside my games and streaming services, except the PS store and “explore”. Are you all hooking your ps5 up to your Facebook or something?

it's not that there are social media specific things in the UI, it's that the UI feel like it was inspired by social media. the cards and suggested actions/content feel like the list of stories at the top of instagram or like scrolling through tweets or something.

the fact that the ps5 is the first playstation (check me on that) to show suggested content on startup isn't a great sign. this allows sony to further monetize on sponsored content. "oh ubisift you wanna show an ad for the next AC DLC to all X thousand million ps5 owners at startup? $$$ure thing!"

i hate seeing this poo poo on startup, but i get it:

all that aside, the UI is just not intuitive for basic actions. someone above mentioned settings not being in the standard menu which is kinda ridiculous. every system i've ever had used the "main button" as the method of powering off, but again, bc sony wants to push suggested content in the main menu (mark my words they will add poo poo to the single press PS button thing) we have to see nonsense before we get quick access to common actions.

that's a lot of words about an expensive toy but i'm passionate about UI and i'm a PM so talking about it at length isn't new to me

TLDR long press PS button should bring you straight to a power/settings quick menu. single tap can stay the same and I'll choose to go "home" if i need to (since everyone is pressing PS once, then O, then long press anyway)

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 30, 2020

Moon Shrimp
Sep 7, 2013
One change I like about the ps5 is that the media section only contains the apps I've actually downloaded and installed. On the ps4 I had to navigate to a different screen to access twitch after it decided to put disney plus and a bunch of other bullshit on the first screen.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

it's not that there are social media specific things in the UI, it's that the UI feel like it was inspired by social media. the cards and suggested actions/content feel like the list of stories at the top of instagram or like scrolling through tweets or something.

the fact that the ps5 is the first playstation (check me on that) to show suggested content on startup isn't a great sign. this allows sony to further monetize on sponsored content. "oh ubisift you wanna show an ad for the next AC DLC to all X thousand ps5 owners at startup? $$$ure thing!"

i hate seeing this poo poo on startup, but i get it:

all that aside, the UI is just not intuitive for basic actions. someone above mentioned settings not being in the standard menu which is kinda ridiculous. every system i've ever had used the "main button" as the method of powering off, but again, bc sony wants to push suggested content in the main menu (mark my words they will add poo poo to the single press PS button thing) we have to see nonsense before we get quick access to common actions.

that's a lot of words about an expensive toy but i'm passionate about UI and i'm a PM so talking about it at length isn't new to me

TLDR long press PS button should bring you straight to a power/settings quick menu. single tap can stay the same and I'll choose to go "home" if i need to (since everyone is pressing PS once, then O, then long press anyway)

This seems to be only in the US right now, because here in the UK my default home screen just highlights the furthest game to the left and waits for me to do something.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, this discover poo poo is currently only for US accounts, my US account has it, my German one doesn't. Too bad I only use the US one, huh.

US on startup

EU on startup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

ShoogaSlim posted:

the fact that the ps5 is the first playstation (check me on that) to show suggested content on startup isn't a great sign.

Both the PS3 and the PS4 had news feeds with updates about the latest games that show up when you turn on the system. This one is more "in your face" but it was definitely there before.

I don't get what the problem is with games being advertised to me, a gamer, on my gaming machine. If I'm interested, I might look into it, if I'm not, I tap over to my game and start playing. It's not like they're popping up ads over my gameplay or something.