Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oscar Isaac has one of those careers where it seems like he's always managed to strike a balance between artsy dream jobs and blockbuster money jobs. As long as he has time to do the projects he wants to do I don't see him as someone who turns down a paycheck.

e: the problem specifically with Star Wars is that the paycheck is crap and they basically get actors to do it because they're excited because it's STAR WARS.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Vinylshadow posted:

Solo was a fun romp

Not a particularly good Star Wars movie, but fun nonetheless

I think it's a good Star Wars story, but a bad story about characters we knew (mostly because it asked a bunch of questions no one gave a poo poo about, then went out of its way to answer them.) Like, it would be a reasonably fun romp except they do insane things like explain where Han got his surname from, or show the deep emotional significance of THE DICE.

It isn't an original thought, but if Star Wars is going to be a forever-IP, they need to be able to tell stories that aren't connected to what came before, either content-wise or thematically. The MCU people figured this out when they made spy thrillers and action comedies and re-found some creativity. The Mandalorian made it all of one season mostly pulling it off, but now that it's the only Star War thing running that people don't hate, they're dumping all the Star War into it and having it lead into other spin offs and similar such nonsense.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Oscar Isaac has one of those careers where it seems like he's always managed to strike a balance between artsy dream jobs and blockbuster money jobs. As long as he has time to do the projects he wants to do I don't see him as someone who turns down a paycheck.

e: the problem specifically with Star Wars is that the paycheck is crap and they basically get actors to do it because they're excited because it's STAR WARS.

What kind of projects does he want to do, though? Inside Llewyn Davis was made in 2013 and since then he's been in like half a dozen dumb action movies.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I'm still holding out hope for a Thrawn film trilogy with Pierce Brosnan as the Grand Admiral.

Grandpa Palpatine fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 28, 2020

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

pospysyl posted:

What kind of projects does he want to do, though? Inside Llewyn Davis was made in 2013 and since then he's been in like half a dozen dumb action movies.

Dune is a giant budget sci-fi but probably stands a 50/50 chance of massively burning or being a genre classic.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Boxman posted:

Dune is a giant budget sci-fi but probably stands a 50/50 chance of massively burning or being a genre classic.

Or both

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1332929888697905158

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
An episode of Detours has leaked.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

pospysyl posted:

He's done all kinds of poo poo since Inside Llewyn Davis. Check his IMDB if that's not too much of an effort.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Happy Disney killed this.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Obit...

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1332928021922271233?s=19

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
RIP. If someone had told him he'd die today, he would have talked about it yesterday.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Wonder what would happen if you used younger Han and Lando to go through some of Star Wars's goofier aspects

Like giant space otters, or Waru

I'm shocked space otters haven't shown up in Mandolorian yet. I'm really gunning for Mando punching one, played totally straight-faced. Also that lightsaber knee guy. Someone wearing that could have a great Raiders sword fight moment with Mando.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Solo's only decent at a distance, when you can fondly recall some decent scenes while wiping all the interminable trash from your mind.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I'm still holding out hope for a Thrawn film trilogy with Pierce Brosnan as the Grand Admiral.

I always wanted this, I just didn't know it until I saw this.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

He's done all kinds of poo poo since Inside Llewyn Davis. Check his IMDB if that's not too much of an effort.

I'm sorry I didn't post an exhaustive list of his film credits to make the simple point that his career is mostly defined by action movies and science fiction movies that range from terrible to above average.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pospysyl posted:

Where does Ex Machina fall in this, out of curiosity? It’s certainly not a dumb action movie. And while it’s only 2014, it’s after the arbitrary line you drew.

I know you’re not saying he ONLY makes dumb action movies. But he does make good, interesting movies.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 29, 2020

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Where does Ex Machina fall in this, out of curiosity? It’s certainly not a dumb action movie. And while it’s only 2014, it’s after the arbitrary line you drew.

I know you’re not saying he ONLY makes dumb action movies. But he does make good, interesting movies.

I agree! Ex Machina's definitely above average. I just think that Oscar Isaac's artistic ambitions are overstated based on the movies he made prior to 2014.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pospysyl posted:

I agree! Ex Machina's definitely above average. I just think that Oscar Isaac's artistic ambitions are overstated based on the movies he made prior to 2014.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
I'm no Oscar Isaac expert, but he was pretty drat good with his meaty roles in Drive & Sucker Punch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

pospysyl posted:

He's kept making small, interesting movies consistently. The thing is, they're small movies and so inevitably get less attention than the giant blockbusters he's also in.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m an outsider here. I just have a question. Did Harrison Ford and Mark Hammil return to the franchise because they didn’t have to work with George Lucas, because Disney paid them more, or because George Lucas just didnt want to write their characters into the movies?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ChocNitty posted:

I’m an outsider here. I just have a question. Did Harrison Ford and Mark Hammil return to the franchise because they didn’t have to work with George Lucas, because Disney paid them more, or because George Lucas just didnt want to write their characters into the movies?

George got the original trio signed on before he sold to Disney.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
George Lucas never made any movies set after the ones Ford and Hamill were in, and I don't recall hearing that they'd be unwilling to work with him again if he had

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

ChocNitty posted:

the only reason the big three signed on was because george asked them to and they would be working with him.

unfortunately, disney had other ideas.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Roth posted:

I think Star Wars 1-6 are pretty good movies. If you enjoy them you might like The Clone Wars/Rebels.

Sorry to blast a hot take in here like that.

Gentlemen, you can't like Star Wars in here! This is the Star Wars thread!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

ChocNitty posted:

Its interesting how the myths of Evil George Lucas have slowly expanded over time. Starting from the reasonable "Star Wars was a collaborative effort, not just Lucas" even though he his hands in everything. Moving to the "from a certain point of view" untruths that Lucas barely had anything to do with Star Wars and it was Marcia and the other directors saving it from him. Now we have things that are flatly the opposite of what happened, when Lucas and the big three had a meeting together where he personally got them all to buy in on the idea.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shiroc posted:

Its interesting how the myths of Evil George Lucas have slowly expanded over time. Starting from the reasonable "Star Wars was a collaborative effort, not just Lucas" even though he his hands in everything. Moving to the "from a certain point of view" untruths that Lucas barely had anything to do with Star Wars and it was Marcia and the other directors saving it from him. Now we have things that are flatly the opposite of what happened, when Lucas and the big three had a meeting together where he personally got them all to buy in on the idea.

My favourite idea about lucas was that he was only interested in money, which was odd given that the prequels are not the sort of films you make if that's true.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowman_McK posted:

My favourite idea about lucas was that he was only interested in money, which was odd given that the prequels are not the sort of films you make if that's true.

I dunno, Episode 1 already made its budget back on toys by the time it released and each movie was pretty heavy on toyetic new droids, soldiers, lightsabers, vehicles and setpieces. Darth Maul was practically made to sell Halloween masks.

Then again, it's hard not to make bank on merchandising Star Wars... not that Disney didn't seem to try.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Thing is, when it comes to space opera with ships and robots and aliens, what wouldn't be toyetic? I mean you can buy a toy Xenomorph

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Darth Maul was practically made to sell Halloween masks.

this is just good design though. who wants a halloween mask of maz kanata?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lucas absolutely understood how to make money out of the films he was making but that's not a necessarily conflicting motivation with wanting to make a good film. He rewrote the monomyth for a modern age and absolutely nailed it to the point where 43 years on it's still a mass cultural touchstone. It's a rollercoaster action film that actually has something to say (unlike the MCU films). And he made so much money by working out in advance that he was going to be able to monetise everything that he could have build a scrooge mcduck vault and gone swimming in it if he'd really wanted.

Regardless of the actual truth, I feel pretty confident in saying that what didn't happen is that he's an incompetent who failed upwards. More people would be doing what he did if that were the case. The sequels made me heavily revise my opinion of the prequels, because while they aren't good films Lucas is still trying to tell an interesting story and say things with that story and we need filmmakers who are want to do that or everything is going to be an empty soulless Disney monstrosity.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Lucas absolutely understood how to make money out of the films he was making but that's not a necessarily conflicting motivation with wanting to make a good film. He rewrote the monomyth for a modern age and absolutely nailed it to the point where 43 years on it's still a mass cultural touchstone. It's a rollercoaster action film that actually has something to say (unlike the MCU films). And he made so much money by working out in advance that he was going to be able to monetise everything that he could have build a scrooge mcduck vault and gone swimming in it if he'd really wanted.

Regardless of the actual truth, I feel pretty confident in saying that what didn't happen is that he's an incompetent who failed upwards. More people would be doing what he did if that were the case. The sequels made me heavily revise my opinion of the prequels, because while they aren't good films Lucas is still trying to tell an interesting story and say things with that story and we need filmmakers who are want to do that or everything is going to be an empty soulless Disney monstrosity.

Yea, this. Also Lucas was saying in interviews in like 1998 that he wasn’t going to make the movies the fans expect. That’s kind of the opposite of a craven cash grab.

Doing all of these new toyetic designs only seems like a money making move because we know how popular they turned out to be. Making a bunch of Star Wars movies with zero X-wings and TIE fighters is actually super risky.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He certainly wasn't only interested in making money but he valued his financial independence and had been burnt by that before. He wasn't working within the studio system and that put him in a tighter spot with money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That and it turns out, making stuff to sell toys means making cool things that people like and want to buy. It dovetails in perfectly with a sci-fantasy movie with recognisable hero and villain weapons, vehicles and characters. It's also fitting given the WW2 themes with factions having signature vehicles and modes of operation, which probably came up before.

Certainly beats stuff like the MCU and modern video games where everything looks generic and forgettable despite clearly shitloads of effort put into it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I'd like to see an academic explanation for the trends in aesthetics in movies. Is it because theres this one Producer with really bad taste who's demanding everything be so crappy? Is it something to do with the switch to CG encouraging certain (bad) visual styles? The thing is it's not public taste driving it because the public both vocally expresses their distaste for current trend, but also votes with their wallet, buying old style designs over new ones. It's strange because everyone wants the modern style to go away and is willing to give their money to see it happen, but Hollywood seems determined to use unliked designs anyway.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

galagazombie posted:

The thing is it's not public taste driving it because the public both vocally expresses their distaste for current trend, but also votes with their wallet, buying old style designs over new ones. It's strange because everyone wants the modern style to go away and is willing to give their money to see it happen, but Hollywood seems determined to use unliked designs anyway.

Do you have any proof of this at all? The MCU movies are doing just fine and the average moviegoer does not give one whit about design aesthetics.

Like, who is the public that is "vocally expressing distaste" for these things? Who is "buying old style designs over new ones"? What product are you referring to here? Who is "everyone" that wants "the modern style to go away"? Are you considering this Star Wars thread your sample size or something?

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Please no more seth green.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

galagazombie posted:

I'd like to see an academic explanation for the trends in aesthetics in movies. Is it because theres this one Producer with really bad taste who's demanding everything be so crappy? Is it something to do with the switch to CG encouraging certain (bad) visual styles? The thing is it's not public taste driving it because the public both vocally expresses their distaste for current trend, but also votes with their wallet, buying old style designs over new ones. It's strange because everyone wants the modern style to go away and is willing to give their money to see it happen, but Hollywood seems determined to use unliked designs anyway.

what bad visual styles does CGI encourage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Flat grey or brown blobs.

See the airport fight in civil war or the end fight in endgame.