Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Apparently the Jays fired Mike Wilner. No reason was given. I never found him particularly great at calling games, though I have fond memories of the mid-late 2000s and him yelling at terrible post-game callers.

Rogers doing Rogers things. I didn't particularly care for him calling games one way or the other but he was an unabashed gigantic Jays fan who was smart and mostly thoughtful and he seems crushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Y'know with all this vaccine news I think there's a decent chance we'll have a regular season next year. I would very much like to go to local MiLB games again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

quote:

The Philadelphia Phillies let go 80 employees on Wednesday, reducing their front office workforce by 20%, reports Marcus Hayes of the Philadelphia Inquirer. A number of Major League teams have diminished their staffs since the pandemic prompted revenue losses all across the sporting landscape, but the Phillies brought their own particular panache to the unfortunate business of layoffs. Hayes reports that employees were alerted of the latest cuts by email the day before Thanksgiving.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/phillies-reduce-front-office-workforce.html

gently caress the Phillies

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Well can you really blame them? They lost TWO BILLION DOLLARS this year

https://twitter.com/jaseidler/status/1332731605442584585?s=21

There’s a correction now in the article

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 28, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

43035 seats in CB Field that would surely have been filled to capacity by full price ticket holders in all 81 home games, plus every person would have bought 3 hot dogs and 4 beers.

...only gets you to $300 million or so.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 28, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
“We lost $2 billion due to COVID.”

“Wow that sounds terrible! Can we see your books?”

“. . . No.”

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Ready for Dodgers legend Realmuto.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Bregor posted:

“We lost $2 billion due to COVID.”

“Wow that sounds terrible! Can we see your books?”

“. . . No.”

Chalmers: Two- two billion dollars lost?! At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within your franchise!?
Phillies: Yes.
Chalmers: ...May I see it?
Phillies: ...No.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

blossommirage posted:

Ready for Dodgers legend Realmuto.
https://youtu.be/fLmEqSWSPPM

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Dodgers fired a bunch of people too. So did a lot of teams

Also that article was revised. Presumably the $2 Billion figure is supposed to be for the entire league not just Philly.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 28, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The update claims $8.3B in “combined debt” for the league this year

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

gently caress the Phillies

As a Phillies fan I agree.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There is no possible way they lost 2 billion dollars unless they lost a physical briefcase with 2 billion dollars of cash in it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

lmao suck my nuts mlb, that is a colossal figure to throw out there without a shred of evidence.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Nodoze posted:

There is no possible way they lost 2 billion dollars unless they lost a physical briefcase with 2 billion dollars of cash in it

In fairness, wouldn't put it past the Phillies

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Don't like this post!!!!!

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

bawfuls posted:

Love to hear the guys who have a legal monopoly lost $8B in 3 months.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The Mets just sold for a record $2.4 billion, nobody is losing money

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

They’re prob talking about lost revenue?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Did they lose most of that from RSN contracts that had 102 fewer games and reduced national broadcasts? I forget how the tv money was structured.

idontpoast
Jul 10, 2020

by Athanatos

Hand Knit posted:

Apparently the Jays fired Mike Wilner. No reason was given. I never found him particularly great at calling games, though I have fond memories of the mid-late 2000s and him yelling at terrible post-game callers.

As someone that actually listened to thousand plus radio calls of jays games, Wilner only ended up doing the calling by fluke. After the amazing Jerry Howarth had to retire due to medical reasons, Wilner was promoted from his serviceable job hosting the post game show. Honestly, he sucked as a broadcaster. I feel bad for him losing his job, and wish he could have kept his spot on the post game, but we really, desperately needed a pro broadcaster again.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

blossommirage posted:

Don't like this post!!!!!
Ah so you are familiar with one of the reasons the Dodgers won’t sign Realmuto

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1333267311655067648?s=21

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Cool. I'm happy to see him in a Royals uniform again. Hopefully we get 2017 or 2019 Mike Minor.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/bensbiz/status/1333430244112523271

As a lifelong Thunder fan, this really sucks rear end!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So... the teams no longer are team affiliated AA teams but are now like a Cape Cod League?

I guess my Thunder hat no joins my Clippers hat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh that reminds, me. This happened a while ago this offseason but the Twins ended their affiliation with their AAA team in Rochester New York and picked up the St. Paul Saints to be their new AAA affiliate.

I'm actually pretty psyched by this news, I love going to Saints games and now I'll get to see actual almost MLB level players too. Plus if I go early enough in the season I can see all the MLB ready big prospects being held down for service time fuckery working on their defense.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

shyduck posted:

It's better than what the alternative would have been after the Yankees left........ I actually like the Somerset move since there is now a Yankees AA team 10 mins from my front door!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh that reminds, me. This happened a while ago this offseason but the Twins ended their affiliation with their AAA team in Rochester New York and picked up the St. Paul Saints to be their new AAA affiliate.

I'm actually pretty psyched by this news, I love going to Saints games and now I'll get to see actual almost MLB level players too. Plus if I go early enough in the season I can see all the MLB ready big prospects being held down for service time fuckery working on their defense.

How does that work? Do they just move the previous Rochester players to St. Paul? What happens with the St. Paul players?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Are the Blueclaws staying with the Phillies?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

mcmagic posted:

It's better than what the alternative would have been after the Yankees left........ I actually like the Somerset move since there is now a Yankees AA team 10 mins from my front door!
Yeah, it’s better to keep the lights on ultimately, but I still hope they get an affiliation back ASAP

davecrazy posted:

Are the Blueclaws staying with the Phillies?
Yeah and they just rebranded (Jersey Shore Blueclaws) and renewed their ballpark lease for another 10 years. Doesn’t meant much long term but I’m sure it helps

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 30, 2020

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

IcePhoenix posted:

As a Rochestarian I was very sad about this, but then we became the Nationals AAA team, so someday maybe I'll get to go see games again once going to a ballpark isn't possibly fatal.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Joey Freshwater posted:

How does that work? Do they just move the previous Rochester players to St. Paul? What happens with the St. Paul players?

St. Paul was in the independent American Association, and I don't think they typically sign players to multi-year deals, so they're probably just done

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It irrationally bothers me that the Yankees now have a Patriots affiliate.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

more falafel please posted:

St. Paul was in the independent American Association, and I don't think they typically sign players to multi-year deals, so they're probably just done

That's kinda sad. I still fondly recall we did a corporate outing to see a SP Saints game and we all got blasted at the game and surrounding breweries.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

WTF how did I not hear about this at all?

Saints games are fun as Hell already - this is super cool.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

It irrationally bothers me that the Yankees now have a Patriots affiliate.

This is a real issue.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That's kinda sad. I still fondly recall we did a corporate outing to see a SP Saints game and we all got blasted at the game and surrounding breweries.

Yeah, indy league games are great. I'm close enough to both the Gary SouthShore RailCats and the Chicago Dogs, who have a rivalry about whether it's ok to put ketchup on hot dogs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hope we can do another Chicagoon outting to a Dogs game next year. That was a lot of fun and they put on a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

shyduck posted:

I dunno about this Draft League business. If I were a prospect and expected to be drafted high, and make a $500k + signing bonus, I wouldn't be too thrilled about playing in some exhibition league before the draft.

The press release says players will get visibility and "educational programming" but I don't see anything about them getting paid...