Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Artelier posted:

So what's good to Card anyway? Offhand there is the disc 3 only respawnable Elnoyle but besides that I can't think of what I'd Card. Been a few years since I played tho
did you miss the entire conversation that just happened? the whole point is that everything is good to Card. using Card is literally better than killing enemies in every single way since it gives you everything you would normally get + the card for refining fodder, but leaves out the EXP reward which you ~optimally~ want to avoid anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Going out of your way to avoid exp in VIII is silly, it is not a difficult game even at level 100

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Going out of your way to avoid exp in VIII is silly, it is not a difficult game even at level 100

Reminder that it's impossible for some people to play a game not 100% optimally even if it sucks all the fun out of it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So does everyone in FF8 have a card likeness? Do they update the cards every year so they match what the person looks like? Or are they magically updated?

Mainly, how does Laguna have a card for fully grown Squall, complete with the scar that doesn’t happen until the very beginning of the game?

e: Also, what about transforming monsters and people into cards? Are they still alive in the cards? Are they still alive when you refine the cards? Is this how all cards are made? Then does everyone have a twin that gets murdered and turned into a card? How do you draw the short straw in that situation?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 29, 2020

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Oh poo poo I forgot Squall has that cool guy scar!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Help Im Alive posted:

While this is true, it's also actually not that hard to just slap Card onto one of your party members and let them eat a few of the more durable monsters. That's actually where I think its real strength is; not in pausing all XP gain for a while by being pedantic about it, or by using it to get key stuff through Card Mod, but by slowing down total XP gain by carding the occasional big boy.

I wouldn't go out of my way to card any monsters for that reason, there's a few that do get pretty juicy if you really wanted to. Off the top of my head I think one of the best targets is actually Tonberries; they're the only thing that spawns in the rooms where they appear, and Card Mod turns their card into the Chef's Knife, which further can get turned into twenty Deaths. If you really wanted to use Card to give your FFVIII playthrough a (totally unnecessary) steroid boost, I'd use it there.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

That's the problem I hit with Card command. Since I play a lot of Triple Triad, there's very few targets to actually hit since I can just play cards. Hence why I could only think of Disc 3 Elnoyle since to get enough Elnoyle Cards for Card Mod through playing cards is probably slower than just fighting it 20 times.

Tonberry is a good target, but I find Tonberry and Tonberry King cards for Chef's Knife are easy enough to get since a lot of players carry them and chances are that card is a good pick as a reward. Personally, when I play I normally have at least one character with 100 Death by Timber or so.

Oh btw I just remembered, a great early game card is Abyss Worm since that refines into sweet, sweet Tornadoes, one of the better Strength junctions in the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This is timely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCR2s10i_Pw

Only takes 500 hours!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

So does everyone in FF8 have a card likeness? Do they update the cards every year so they match what the person looks like? Or are they magically updated?

Mainly, how does Laguna have a card for fully grown Squall, complete with the scar that doesn’t happen until the very beginning of the game?

e: Also, what about transforming monsters and people into cards? Are they still alive in the cards? Are they still alive when you refine the cards? Is this how all cards are made? Then does everyone have a twin that gets murdered and turned into a card? How do you draw the short straw in that situation?
There's a side quest about where cards come from but I remember it being pretty boring. The artist is mostly retired but gets random streaks of inspiration from the stories his daughter tells of travelling the world which is where the party and boss cards are implied to come from. But they are collectable cards first and everything strange about them is specific to the GFs you have. Like you can't card something that doesn't have a card already like Galbadia soldiers.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

zedprime posted:

There's a side quest about where cards come from but I remember it being pretty boring. The artist is mostly retired but gets random streaks of inspiration from the stories his daughter tells of travelling the world which is where the party and boss cards are implied to come from.

I imagine the conversation right after the card art was finished was something like this.

Artist: Alright, time to balance the cards. So which card should I make the the strongest, you think? The King of Dragons? The otherworldly spaceship with laser beams?

Daughter: Naw, it's the introvert with the scar.

Artist: wat

Daughter: The blonde douchebag is pretty strong too.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Daughter: Hey you haven't painted the last few characters at all, you just keep painting that fresh out of college teacher in glasses, boots, and a whip.

Artist: I have a type okay

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Reminder that it's impossible for some people to play a game not 100% optimally even if it sucks all the fun out of it.

I bear this curse :negative:

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mega64 posted:

This is timely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCR2s10i_Pw

Only takes 500 hours!

This dude is a machine. I hope for his sake he's lying and using a cheat device to get his footage, but I really don't think he is. He did the grind for his X-2 video twice because he lost the footage on his first go around.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Artelier posted:

So what's good to Card anyway? Offhand there is the disc 3 only respawnable Elnoyle but besides that I can't think of what I'd Card. Been a few years since I played tho

if you want something specific, t-rexaur is a good one, though it's a rare encounter in the early game. you can refine its cards into items that refine into Quake once you get Brothers, and iirc that junctions even better to str than the Tornados you might have access to at that point in the game

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I don't think I have ever used Card to any serious extent in the many times I have played FF8. I saw how it worked and then pretty much noped out of it, don't see the appeal of slowing down battles to use it considering the game is already entirely stacked in the player's favor by just playing normally. Quite a few areas of the game have enemies and bosses that don't level up with you anyway or are capped pretty low.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Not to show my age but I loaned my copy to my brother and the loving guy spent 50 hours in ff8.

On disc 2. He grinded the loving d district prisoner to get 3 rosetta stones

Mega64
May 23, 2008

How do FF8 speed runs work anyway? It seems most of the usual techniques to get overpowered may be too time consuming to bother with.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

How do FF8 speed runs work anyway? It seems most of the usual techniques to get overpowered may be too time consuming to bother with.

The Zell card (+60% STR) and Quistis card (90 Triples to junction to strength) are all you need to get super strong. The rest comes from refining item drops and using Irvine's limit break.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

if you want something specific, t-rexaur is a good one, though it's a rare encounter in the early game. you can refine its cards into items that refine into Quake once you get Brothers, and iirc that junctions even better to str than the Tornados you might have access to at that point in the game

I did think of Quake, but Tornadoes, the graceful element of spinning wind obviously translates to 48 Strength, and Quake the EARTH SHATTERING ROCK HARD CATASTROPHE is only 40 Strength. Also you can refine Tornado with Thunder Magic, no need to wait for a later summon to use it, hence it's my pick for best early game Strength Junction that's reasonably painless to get. This I remember explicitly because it makes no sense why Tornado is better than Quake why

I looove FFVIII. I'm due for another run. It's the game I grew up with, and I play at least one run every year or two. I played it last year on the Remastered but no analog control made me so upset that I dropped it and refunded. :(

Artelier fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 30, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Card modding is a limited form of time compression as granted by the paradoxes inherent to the game. As to the people on the cards... let's say they didn't have as good of a fight against the sorceresses or Ultimecia...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Artelier posted:

I did think of Quake, but Tornadoes, the graceful element of spinning wind obviously translates to 48 Strength, and Quake the EARTH SHATTERING ROCK HARD CATASTROPHE is only 40 Strength. Also you can refine Tornado with Thunder Magic, no need to wait for a later summon to use it, hence it's my pick for best early game Strength Junction that's reasonably painless to get. This I remember explicitly because it makes no sense why Tornado is better than Quake why

'Graceful' isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of tornados, have you seen a video of one carving through a town?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

multijoe posted:

'Graceful' isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of tornados, have you seen a video of one carving through a town?

I am going to apologise. I was trying to talk about the (maybe only my own) bias about thinking that Earth is more of a "strong and hard" element than Wind is and thus "should" be the better Strength Junction, and in the process I have undermined the damage that tornadoes do as real life catastrophes.

And to answer the question, I have never seen one live, and am blessed and lucky enough to live in a country without this specific kind of issue.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

To be fair, when I see Titan, I think "hard."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
When I think of Titan, all I hear is "BOW DOWN OVERDWELLER"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Discussion of VIII has lead me to replay* it and let me assuage fears for everyone that you can refine Quake with Time-mag Refinement, which is granted by Diablos (which is why I thought it was odd to have to wait until Brothers to get it), but Tornado is still better, slightly.

*By replay I mean spend 8 hours before getting on the train to Timber playing Triple Triad and grinding magic like a lunatic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mega64 posted:

When I see Titan I think "free catbook space"

Gologle posted:

When I think of Titan, all I hear is "BOW DOWN OVERDWELLER"

I'M AN ARMADILLO

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Artelier posted:

I did think of Quake, but Tornadoes, the graceful element of spinning wind obviously translates to 48 Strength, and Quake the EARTH SHATTERING ROCK HARD CATASTROPHE is only 40 Strength.

oh really? i thought quake was 80, poo poo

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Leal posted:

Not to show my age but I loaned my copy to my brother and the loving guy spent 50 hours in ff8.

On disc 2. He grinded the loving d district prisoner to get 3 rosetta stones

I had a roommate who played through ff7 by collecting 99 of every drop before moving on to the nex area of a game. IIRC that included drops you could just buy later on and only excluded anything that was a unique drop due to not being able to farm 99 of the item. I think he had the game time maxed before leaving midgar.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I had a roommate who played through ff7 by collecting 99 of every drop before moving on to the nex area of a game. IIRC that included drops you could just buy later on and only excluded anything that was a unique drop due to not being able to farm 99 of the item. I think he had the game time maxed before leaving midgar.

that goes beyond videogames and is some serious OCD.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Fluffy posted:

this dude is badass

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Evil Fluffy posted:

This guy are sick

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mega64 posted:

A real chad of a summon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Victory Position posted:

A real chad of a summon.

I still have no idea how they did this technically. It's still such a cool moment.

I was playing FF15 on the Xbox because it's on gamepass just to see how it runs and man do I have mixed feelings about that game. I hated how the story was so cut short, the weird emptiness of the world, but I loved wandering around the open world with my roadbros killing sheep or whatever. Very chill game

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was playing FF15 on the Xbox because it's on gamepass just to see how it runs and man do I have mixed feelings about that game. I hated how the story was so cut short, the weird emptiness of the world, but I loved wandering around the open world with my roadbros killing sheep or whatever. Very chill game

While I think it's the worst mainline Final Fantasy game, I think most of my dour look on the game comes from the fact that it is a mainline Final Fantasy and has some fairly lofty (or at least, fairly specific) expectations on its shoulders. If it actually did come out as Versus XIII I'd probably enjoy it as a little, slightly janky, too-masculine game with interesting ideas it doesn't land that made mistakes that are a little weird.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFXV was a pretty good game. Granted I didn’t play at launch, but it’s definitely a better game than FFXIII at first glance for me.

FFXV combat was boring as poo poo but it was flashy and for the most part innocuous. FFXIII combat is only good after you figure it out and really think it through, and you only get to build your party like way later than you’d think.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

While I think it's the worst mainline Final Fantasy game, I think most of my dour look on the game comes from the fact that it is a mainline Final Fantasy and has some fairly lofty (or at least, fairly specific) expectations on its shoulders. If it actually did come out as Versus XIII I'd probably enjoy it as a little, slightly janky, too-masculine game with interesting ideas it doesn't land that made mistakes that are a little weird.

It doesn't help that FF7 Remake took their combat system and made it about 10 times better. Especially FF15 at launch where you could only use Noctis and he had a super limited set of actions - meanwhile in FF7 if you get bored of doing Bravers with Cloud switch over to Tifa for a completely different gameplay experience.

Oddly enough FF15 went back in and added character swapping! I guess after they finished designing those characters for the DLC?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oddly enough FF15 went back in and added character swapping! I guess after they finished designing those characters for the DLC?

Yes, although all it really does is provide some variety and spread out your AP, it's never actually useful since a vast majority of the game was designed with the assumption that Noctis was the only playable character. And of course, you can only play as the guys; no chance playing as Iris or Aranea when they're on deck.

Except that, in true FFXV style, them doing that actually does make one part of the game near the end much worse. They crammed in a trio of bosses right at the end that all have the gimmick that, after half the boss fight, you're forced to play as one of the other guys with their mechanics. ...except even if you like them it's really lovely design, because the entire game grinds to a halt to give you tutorials on these characters they have no guarantee you've played before then, and then they try to design an endgame boss fight that's also a functional tutorial. From what I remember, Gladio's was extremely lovely because of strict timing and no chance to get used to it, while Prompto's and Ignis' are instead total pushovers barely even substantial enough to be a tutorial fight.

ful
Sep 16, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Playing XIII for the first time. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but this is pretty dire. Everything's just so dull, I don't think I like any of the characters so far and the pacing is too stop start. At least it's pretty? I was expecting something like X with peoples comments on linearity but it's more like Crash Bandicoot, hah.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ful posted:

Playing XIII for the first time. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece but this is pretty dire. Everything's just so dull, I don't think I like any of the characters so far and the pacing is too stop start. At least it's pretty? I was expecting something like X with peoples comments on linearity but it's more like Crash Bandicoot, hah.

Oh for the glory days of FFX where the corridor had some branching paths and dungeons and there were actually places to stop and explore.

I can't believe no one realised during the development of XIII that holding the analogue stick forward for 25 hours wasn't actually fun or engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

stev posted:

Oh for the glory days of FFX where the corridor had some branching paths and dungeons and there were actually places to stop and explore.

I can't believe no one realised during the development of XIII that holding the analogue stick forward for 25 hours wasn't actually fun or engaging.

They said XIII not XII