Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
More good vaccine news:
https://twitter.com/CMichaelGibson/status/1333389996372480005

quote:

Moderna’s phase 3 analysis involved 30,000 people in the US, half given the vaccine and half a placebo, and 196 of them became ill. Thirty people became severely ill and one died, but none of those had been given Moderna’s vaccine. The trials included substantial numbers of people in the most at-risk groups, with 7,000 people over 65 and more than 5,000 younger people with chronic diseases, such as diabetes, severe obesity and cardiac disease.

The study included 11,000 people from black, Asian and minority ethnic communities, the company said, which is 37%, the same proportion as in the US population. There were 33 older adults and 42 people from BAME backgrounds in the final analysis. The company said there were no serious side-effects. The most common included sore arms, headaches and fatigue.

There's a bunch of articles getting real excited over the fact that the Moderna vaccine is reportedly 100% effective in stopping people developing severe symptoms but if you dig down into the article there were only 11 vaccinated people who experienced any kinds of symptoms and a professor of pharmacoepidemiology points out there's still some "statistical uncertainty" and a professor of infectious disease epidemiology says "these results suggest very high efficacy (>85%) against this endpoint". It could be 100% protection against severe symptoms, it could be 85%-ish, we'll have to wait and see.
The article also use some weaselly phrases like "There was no evidence the vaccine performed worse in older adults" which is another "we'll just have to wait and see" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
so the placebo killed a guy?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ben shapino posted:

i'm assuming that one person actually got coronavirus and died.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/joanna_louise0/status/1333322039067815936

ben shapino posted:

No

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

the only thoughts i have on this are parody redacted in minecraft because right now politicians are literally murdering their subjects for profits in realtime and direct causation

Negligence is not murder

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/kyamamura/status/1333519939924152320

That's less than one tenth of a percent of California's population. There's over 1.4 million people working in the healthcare industry alone in CA.

(Also note that the immunity benefits of the vaccine don't kick in until 3 weeks after the second dose, which would be the start of Feb for those 327K people. )

E: If you're living in Mississippi then you better not need to visit a hospital anytime soon, they're full
https://twitter.com/WLOX/status/1333546150159388673

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 1, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Strategic Tea posted:

Negligence is not murder

it's not negligence when you actively ignore thousands of scientists and healthcare workers and parents screaming at you and do the opposite of what you're being told

negligence is when you never even thought about it in the first place and can argue you had no reason to think that deaths were a reasonable outcome

compare with people who have in the past taken part in illegal street races, hit unrelated people and been convicted of murder

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 1, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Scott Atlas resigned, isn't even going to bother seeing out the last few months of the Trump administration
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1333563296608362499

Good riddance to bad rubbish
https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/status/1333576533961826306

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

More good vaccine news:
https://twitter.com/CMichaelGibson/status/1333389996372480005

There's a bunch of articles getting real excited over the fact that the Moderna vaccine is reportedly 100% effective in stopping people developing severe symptoms but if you dig down into the article there were only 11 vaccinated people who experienced any kinds of symptoms and a professor of pharmacoepidemiology points out there's still some "statistical uncertainty" and a professor of infectious disease epidemiology says "these results suggest very high efficacy (>85%) against this endpoint". It could be 100% protection against severe symptoms, it could be 85%-ish, we'll have to wait and see.
The article also use some weaselly phrases like "There was no evidence the vaccine performed worse in older adults" which is another "we'll just have to wait and see" thing.

Any news on whether the vaccines prevent spreading, or do they only protect the vaccinated person?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Scott Atlas resigned, isn't even going to bother seeing out the last few months of the Trump administration

Good riddance to bad rubbish

"the beauty of this disease is we can LET MILLIONS DIE because half have no symptoms"

holy poo poo, yeet this person into the sun

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chikimiki posted:

Any news on whether the vaccines prevent spreading, or do they only protect the vaccinated person?

AIUI both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines *claim* to generate neutralising antibodies, which means that transmission will be massively decreased (some spread from the initial lung infection will still happen, but it's orders of magnitude less than a full infection), probably to the point where transmission will be extremely unlikely.

(Source was some Twitter thread that I can't find now so take that for what it is)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Chikimiki posted:

We wont know this for sure until the vaccine is distributed but it's vanishingly unlikely it will have no effect on spread at all.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Remember flu shots aren't sterilizing, and we still press the gently caress to get as many people as possible to get them nonetheless.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Waffle! posted:

My sister is a teacher. She thinks she caught it from another teacher at her school, and one more teacher got sick a week after my sister was out. Her husband is an essential worker, wiring security systems or something, and his boss says that he can't come back to work until two weeks after my sister is cleared. He won't be getting paid. God only knows if/when my sister will be cleared, and her job still expects her to do all the lesson plans and schoolwork from home even if she isn't teaching. They even tried asking her to Zoom from bed. Now my sister and her family have no income for however long this poo poo-show plays out, and it feels like there's nothing I can do to help.

If his work has less than 500 employees there is federally mandated sick leave. Check this link for details.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employee-paid-leave

He may also be eligible to apply for unemployment if he's not being paid sick days and his employer has effectively cut his hours to 0.

Neither of these are the easiest things to deal with, especially if his employer is being an rear end about it, but maybe they'll help.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I assume we don't know for how long these vaccines provide protection either?

Josh Wow posted:

If his work has less than 500 employees there is federally mandated sick leave. Check this link for details.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employee-paid-leave

He may also be eligible to apply for unemployment if he's not being paid sick days and his employer has effectively cut his hours to 0.

Neither of these are the easiest things to deal with, especially if his employer is being an rear end about it, but maybe they'll help.

lmao, why is there an exception for companies over 500 people.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

lmao, why is there an exception for companies over 500 people.

Because bigger companies have lobbyists.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Welp Christmas is cancelled at my house. Normally we have my mother's brother and sister come over, but some of us mentioned my Uncle's declaration that he'll go to his local after lockdown ends, a wet pub that will likely print fake receipts to be seen as a gastro pub and thus avoid the lesser restrictions. Mentioned it maybe a little too much. Whatever, don't go to the pub a week before Christmas Day and we'll be fine. But my mother, unhinged with lack of sleep from hernia pain unilaterally decides to meet my aunt in a car park and declare that they're not wanted by the rest of us. Literally something that can't be taken back, ever. For gently caress sake. loving virus.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 1, 2020

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Someone at my wife's workplace tested positive for covid-19 a week ago but no employees found that out until today, when another person tested positive. Only the people working that shift were told what happened, which is the only reason anyone on the incoming shift knows about it.

Their department is temporarily closed but the rest of the store is running as usual. Who knows if the other people in the department are gonna come in or not tomorrow.

Failure to inform employees when poo poo like happens should be a criminal offense. 

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

ben shapino posted:

They told him he had the bad one with thimoseral in it. He believed it so hard he died.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Here in Victoria Australia we've had several small outbreaks traced back to delivery drivers. One was a McDonalds delivery driver who infected staff at several McDonalds restaurants, another was a truck driver who was allowed to leave the "ring of steel" exclusion zone around Melbourne to do some deliveries in rural areas because essential services like transport were exempted from the lockdown. He had a sit down meal in a cafe (which was against the rules) and infected one of the cafe workers.

China keeps claiming that they've detected the virus on frozen seafood imports and temporarily banning those imports, which has prompted the affected countries to complain that it's just a sneaky trade barrier. On the other hand there's also been infections among freight handlers and outbreaks on container ships so :shrug:
https://apnews.com/article/pandemics-beijing-global-trade-coronavirus-pandemic-china-28671d69256d84001a471876a6bc4077

Critically the infections in both of these cases came from people interacting with infected people, not from fomites transferred long distances via freight.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2020/08/18/new-zealand-covid-new-cases-origin/amp/

The hypothesis that NZ had an outbreak from frozen food shipments was ruled out months ago.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

As an example for how idiotic communication about this is.

Dr. Mike is a youtuber with 6.5mio followers. He posted videos talking about how masks are important, and a few days ago he had his birthday, where he did this:

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1332390626420269056

With the images and footage out, he posted an "apology" to his 100x smaller side channel, where he basically went "i followed cdc rules and also i'm young and because i live along i don't endanger any old people".

Usually i'm all for going easy on people who gently caress covid up, but this guy literally spread rules on it and then broke them with his own private covid party. Him being made an example of would do more to save lives than anything he could personally do.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

As an example for how idiotic communication about this is.

Dr. Mike is a youtuber with 6.5mio followers. He posted videos talking about how masks are important, and a few days ago he had his birthday, where he did this:

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1332390626420269056

With the images and footage out, he posted an "apology" to his 100x smaller side channel, where he basically went "i followed cdc rules and also i'm young and because i live along i don't endanger any old people".

Usually i'm all for going easy on people who gently caress covid up, but this guy literally spread rules on it and then broke them with his own private covid party. Him being made an example of would do more to save lives than anything he could personally do.

FFS i liked that lad and now he's just another bloody hypocrite.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Theres a new article on CNN, which now I can't easily find, that makes it sound like the vaccine won't be widely available for a long time. Maybe July. I'm 45, was really hoping to get it in March. :(

But, the article makes no mention of the fact that a huge chunk of americans don't want the vaccine. Maybe 40+% although this could change. In addition, it appears that people who have had Covid might be immune for years and decades and therefore wouldn't need the vaccine, although this isn't definite yet. Not sure how many people who get covid will decide they don't need the vaccine... But by spring who knows how many americans will have had it. Could be 50%. The CDC estimated 53M americans had covid by end of Sept.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Theres a new article on CNN, which now I can't easily find, that makes it sound like the vaccine won't be widely available for a long time. Maybe July. I'm 45, was really hoping to get it in March. :(

But, the article makes no mention of the fact that a huge chunk of americans don't want the vaccine. Maybe 40+% although this could change. In addition, it appears that people who have had Covid might be immune for years and decades and therefore wouldn't need the vaccine, although this isn't definite yet. Not sure how many people who get covid will decide they don't need the vaccine... But by spring who knows how many americans will have had it. Could be 50%. The CDC estimated 53M americans had covid by end of Sept.

Ipsos did a survey, looks like vaccine hesitancy is pretty low here in Australia:
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1333737516516642817

We're planning on starting a staggered vaccine rollout from March onwards so we just need to keep outbreaks contained until we get decent vaccine coverage, which will be at least a few months after that. Everyone here seems pretty confident we can keep a lid on it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

We're planning on starting a staggered vaccine rollout from March onwards so we just need to keep outbreaks contained until we get decent vaccine coverage, which will be at least a few months after that. Everyone here seems pretty confident we can keep a lid on it.

I reckon it'll be a year+ before we get substantial enough rollout that any of the BAU social distancing poo poo changes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly make me look like loving Pinhead with the vaccines, hell if I could trial them I would.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

When they talk about having 1 Million doses out by X, do they mean a full vaccines worth (2 shots) or a single shot?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Don't read the comments

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Don't read the comments

I'm so sorry I doubted your post.
I know these people are loud and many, but it still blows my mind that they really, truly believe what they say.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Don't read the comments

i was just looking at degloving and woundvac pictures and frankly, i'm going back to those

also, just had a look at Germany's covid numbers and ...

here's the good news:
here's where we are:
and here's the future of that line:
and we have politicians who still think it's a good idea to lift restrictions around christmas/newyears :confuoot:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Achtane posted:

I'm so sorry I doubted your post.
I know these people are loud and many, but it still blows my mind that they really, truly believe what they say.

I really did think Twitter was all Russian bots or propaganda machines of some sort until I saw the videos of people banging on election centers chanting "Stop the count". There really are that many people who truly believe these things... :negative:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

Negligence is not murder

This post is not good

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1333630582442569728

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Heads up, they reversed that

Not the she’s all that remake, for the record. That atrocity is staying

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

They don’t have 53 million testing kits though so they can’t make that claim. Nor do they have a vaccine, you would need a high concentration of the actual virus to make an antibody vaccine.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

In a couple weeks we're supposed to "revisit" our rules for no indoor social gatherings in homes (indoor in public spaces is okay lol), because people are upset they might not get to see their families this Christmas.

But our government is Christian conservative so I doubt Christmas will be cancelled even if numbers keep climbing.

They also decided to do a special call out for high case rates among essential workers who work multiple public-facing jobs, live in densely populated areas, take transit, and live in multi-generational homes, but have said nothing about anti-maskers gathering to do mass protests in the downtown area where many of the former group work.

I'll give you ONE guess what the demographics are.

The former group are South Asian and the latter are white.

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe

So it looks like Australia mostly has the virus under control ........... just in time for bushfire season! NSW is in the middle of a 40°C+ degree heatwave with some places inland getting up to 47°C (116.6°F) and it's not even summer yet. There's already several dozen fires around NSW but most of them are only minor and not much of a worry yet, only one of them is rated "Watch and Act" right now:

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

(There's always some fires burning somewhere in this country)

Here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

SO many graphs!!!

How does Australia even still have large animal life with temperature like that every year?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

(Also note that the immunity benefits of the vaccine don't kick in until 3 weeks after the second dose, which would be the start of Feb for those 327K people. )
The full effect is about one week after the second dose based on phase 1/2 data. They have also apparently seen indications that the first shot does give some level of protection too. So it's not as bad as it could be. Still, we'll need yet more patience which is in pretty short supply atm.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tagra posted:

I really did think Twitter was all Russian bots or propaganda machines of some sort until I saw the videos of people banging on election centers chanting "Stop the count". There really are that many people who truly believe these things... :negative:
digging the use of the phrase "russian bots" in a post saying other people (not me of course, my brain is perfect) fall for propaganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

deadeyez posted:

How does Australia even still have large animal life with temperature like that every year?

It was probably more tolerable in the pre-industrial times.