Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What’s Elizabeth Warren doing in an XMen comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Gripweed posted:

I'm reading this random Captain America trade and it's got an issue of Uncanny X-Men in it, and I have a question I'm hoping you guys can answer for me.

My question is, what the gently caress?

I know the faces are the real showstoppers here, but it also took me a while to figure out what was going on with those hands in the bottom left.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Who is that artist, anyway?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I wonder if the Lights have any special position in Krakoa, being directly connected to Hope and also one of those "We weren't as extinct as we thought we were!" incidents, or if they're just kinda forgotten about

What about that one Hope failed to save who literally got washed down the tub? Is he back? Did she try to undo her failure there? Does anyone even remember that storyline anymore

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dawgstar posted:

Who is that artist, anyway?

According to the cover, Nicholas Bradshaw

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yesterday's issue of Doctor Doom was so drat good. I love how Cantwell portrayed Doom's obsession with Reed Richards. And I love that I may actually agree with Doom that Reed did what he did just to gently caress with Doom. That's just how much of a dick Reed Richards possibly is.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I will never not be able to see The Monarch finding Dr. Venture's robot from season one or two when I imagine Doom's obsession with Reed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm reading X-Tinction Agenda, and the one page summary of the events between Uncanny X-men 238 and 270 is loving insane. The X-men split up when they went through a memory erasing portal and started living new lives, then Psylock was turned Asian, and then Storm was turned into a teenager, and then Angel had to behead a guy, and then Madeline turned out to be a clone and turned into a goblin. Also they're all spread across like three different X-Men teams. Now on with the story!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

I'm reading X-Tinction Agenda, and the one page summary of the events between Uncanny X-men 238 and 270 is loving insane. The X-men split up when they went through a memory erasing portal and started living new lives, then Psylock was turned Asian, and then Storm was turned into a teenager, and then Angel had to behead a guy, and then Madeline turned out to be a clone and turned into a goblin. Also they're all spread across like three different X-Men teams. Now on with the story!

Welcome to reading X-Men, Gripweed! Hope you survive the experience!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

If you think that's wild, just wait until you see what happens in the crossovers themselves! :v:

(There were a lot of X-Men crossover storylines in the 90s)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JordanKai posted:

If you think that's wild, just wait until you see what happens in the crossovers themselves! :v:

(There were a lot of X-Men crossover storylines in the 90s)

At the beginning of the X-Tinction story Storm has just been turned into a teenager. She's still getting used to her body, the X-Men are trying to decide if she can still be a leader, etc. Three issues later, after getting fake turned into a mutate, which didn't actually turn her into a mutate just made her act like one for purposes of subterfuge, she's an adult again. Because the mutate procedure which didn't actually effect her mind, did actually effect her body. Which very clearly was just because the writers didn't want to deal with her being a teenager. So what was the point of her being a teenager in the first place? I haven't read the story where she gets turned into a teenager, I'm sure there's a plot reason for it, but why not have become an adult again at the end of that story? Why leave it as a dangling plot thread that effects nothing and then gets awkwardly wrapped up three issues later?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Also, it is insanely hosed up that the X-Men just leave Genosha at the end. It's just, this one cop who was part of the nightmare brain washing slave society says they aren't going to do that anymore, they're gonna be nicer to their slave camp full of brainwashed mutants whose servitude is the basis for the country's wealth. They'll figure it out!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That was a pretty schizophrenic era of X-books with more and more tension between Chris Claremont and many of the hot new artists working on X-Men pushing back against each other that eventually lead to Claremont leaving the line.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nanny faked storm's death and abducted her, so storm didn't go through the siege perilous but still ended up in a random spot with amnesia like the rest of the team. nanny de-aged storm, storm escaped with limited access to her powers, and then she hooked up with gambit (in his first appearance). they had some adventures until x-tinction agenda reunited the scattered x-men. all of the team were scattered and broken, it's just that the form that took for storm was claremont being claremont.

she still came out better than alex summers, concentration camp guard though. the siege perilous was so lovely!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gripweed posted:

Also, it is insanely hosed up that the X-Men just leave Genosha at the end. It's just, this one cop who was part of the nightmare brain washing slave society says they aren't going to do that anymore, they're gonna be nicer to their slave camp full of brainwashed mutants whose servitude is the basis for the country's wealth. They'll figure it out!

I believe there was an arc in X-Factor immediately after where they were sent in as an oversight group.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

that whole era has a bunch of dangling plot threads where Claremont had like almost grudgingly ended some stuff with Inferno but then went full bore nuts with the Siege Perilous but then immediately got chased off the books because editorial decided to let Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld plot but then they both left so you've got Nicieza and Lobdell flying by the seats of their pants for a while

like clearly nobody knew what the hell Omega Red was, or what the Upstarts were doing, or if Stryfe was Cyclops' son, or what like seven eighths of the Acolytes could do, which is just the stuff the Image guys left behind, so it's not even getting into whatever Claremont's original plans for like Mr Sinister and Gambit were

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone was going to be Summers brothers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Everyone was going to be Summers brothers.

Your mom is a Summers Brother.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Karma Tornado posted:

like clearly nobody knew what the hell Omega Red was, or what the Upstarts were doing, or if Stryfe was Cyclops' son, or what like seven eighths of the Acolytes could do, which is just the stuff the Image guys left behind, so it's not even getting into whatever Claremont's original plans for like Mr Sinister and Gambit were

Now I think about all the hullabaloo over "the Traitor" and that being Bishop's thing. Did that culminate with Gambit having been revealed to be a Marauder and leading the others to the Morlocks? I can't remember.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Now I think about all the hullabaloo over "the Traitor" and that being Bishop's thing. Did that culminate with Gambit having been revealed to be a Marauder and leading the others to the Morlocks? I can't remember.

The traitor was Xavier. That spun out all the way to Onslaught when Jean finally recorded the message Bishop saw.

Gambit being the guy who assembled the Marauders for Sinister was like a weird half step towards what Claremont apparently originally planned, which was Gambit being Mr Sinister and both of them being a like kid from Cyclops' orphanage using his powers to create a hero and a villain, or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Magneto held a trial for Gambit under the guise of Erik the Red in Uncanny 350. As punishment for his crimes the X-Men left Gambit to fend for himself in the antarctic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Joining the X-men seems like a really bad plan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gripweed posted:

They weren't loving around when they said "Hope you survive the experience ".

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Magneto held a trial for Gambit under the guise of Erik the Red in Uncanny 350. As punishment for his crimes the X-Men left Gambit to fend for himself in the antarctic.

in true X-Men fashion, Magneto is in disguise that Cyclops had originally created to pretend to be a villain three hundred issues earlier, a disguise also used by a space alien for reasons that have never been explained. Also in attendance was a character that the X-Men thought was an amnesiac Magneto but who turned out to be an amnesiac Magneto *clone*

that whole Gambit trial rules because the other X-Men there are someone who has knife wings made by Apocalypse, someone who previously had robot eyes from Mojo used to spy on the X-Men who was later Lady Mandarin, someone who put Ms Marvel in a coma while a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, someone who they thought was literally Magneto, and also Maggott was there, and it's still like "Gambit, working for a supervillain is unforgiveable!!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah its a bad comic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And one of the issues of that storyline was voted into that Hundred Greatest Marvel Comics collections.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gripweed posted:

Actually joining the X-Men has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

It all depends on if you're the cool kind of mutant that can shoot death rays out of your fingers while still looking normal, or if you have a physical giveaway like Johnny Threefaces from New X-Men. The former could probably manage fine on their own, the latter might still be better off at the Xavier Institute.

Assuming it doesn't get blown up for the umpteenth time, that is.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

King in Black #1 is exactly like I expected it to be, for the most part. A great issue if you are reading the current Venom stuff but I wonder what people who don't read that book will think.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Kelly Thompson's Black Widow is cool. The current story is a bit stupid, but those action shots are awesome.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

King in Black #1 is exactly like I expected it to be, for the most part. A great issue if you are reading the current Venom stuff but I wonder what people who don't read that book will think.

brosef
Jan 19, 2009

brosef posted:

So he's both Knull and Void?
Glad we didn't waste any time on that one.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That last page of widow

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm glad Champions pulled that card at the end. It makes total sense and I'm happy that the writers didn't try and figure out a reason that wouldn't happen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

That last page of widow

Nat is going to turbo murder some fools.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
On the one hand, KiB is fun. Like, it feels like the goal is "Make a big fun punch-em-up with Venom as the focal character", and... sure, okay, I'm down for that.
On the other hand this is WWE-tier storytelling on display on top of glaring continuity errors.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oh man Chip, now Marvel is never going to buy you that life sized Garfield doll.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

KaosMachina posted:

On the one hand, KiB is fun. Like, it feels like the goal is "Make a big fun punch-em-up with Venom as the focal character", and... sure, okay, I'm down for that.
On the other hand this is WWE-tier storytelling on display on top of glaring continuity errors.

what are the glaring continuity errors?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

King in Black is just as bad as expected. The Sentry is jobbed out in like 3 pages, which is a record. And we get our Knull and Void thing as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Archy look at what you did