Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mustache Ride posted:

You got a link to that set? Its really nice. Might need to upgrade my breakfast nook table too...

Here's what we received (the bench is on backorder)
https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/bolanburg_dining_table_and_4_chairs_and_bench/APG-D647-255.html#q=Bolanburg&start=24&sz=16

Here's what we wanted
https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/bolanburg_counter_height_dining_table_and_4_barstools/APG-D647-324.html#q=Bolanburg&start=25&sz=16

The more I look at the dining room the better it looks. I guess it's only a 6 inch difference. But the lower table is a foot longer..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

So its a whole 6" shorter? Keep the dining room set.

Although wine racks...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mustache Ride posted:

So its a whole 6" shorter? Keep the dining room set.

Although wine racks...

Yeah! The wine rack is what drew us to it in the first place. The taller table is 5 feet longer. The lower table is 6 feet long.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone else here play guitar? I mentioned awhile back that I finally got one of my dream guitars, an actual real Gibson Les Paul Jr.....I didn't have an amp yet, and a local musician friend of mine GAVE me his old Peavy tube amp and this thing is ridiculous, with my guitar and this amp cranked up it sounds like impending doom with a spot on Black Sabbath tone to it. Needless to say the cat is not happy about it :v:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
having a wine rack in the table is a silly gimmick imo

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Peavys good. Got an old ultra 120 that I've had since I was 16, so 19 years now. Pretty crazy, its louder than I'd ever need and haven't even plugged in in a long time. Really should sell it I suppose.

Main guitar is a schecter tempest, which is only 15ish years old. Nice axe Ken!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Liquid Communism posted:

All I want for Christmas is Donnie dragged across the South Lawn in cuffs.

That would almost make 2020 worth it.

trouser chili posted:

Darchangel, I’m sorry for bringing this back up but I just read about Jude and your Thanksgiving. For as good as they are, dogs really deserve longer lives. Jude was a good boy. I’m glad you got to be a part of the majority of his life and that his life meant so much to you. Don’t ever be ashamed of your feelings for him, he was surely never ashamed of his affection for you.

Thank you. He was a very good boy, more than I ever deserved. We got incredibly lucky with him. If we ever get another doggo, it's going to be so unfair to the new pupper. We didn't even have to potty train him.
Still hits me at odd moments. He's not there at the door when I come in. He's not on the bed beside my wife when I go to bed. He's not snuffling around in the kitchen for dropped crumbs when we're getting food. It sucks now, but I'm glad he was here when he was.
I've got his collar and tags here next to me at my WFH "desk". Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

I've got his collar and tags here next to me at my WFH "desk". Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet.

Get them mounted in a frame with a photo of him imo.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I've got a super base model Marshall MG that gets plenty loud for me. Something like their CODE series might be fun to play with but I just don't see myself dropping the cash on that. I've been trying to play more lately as I'm super out of practice. Should have been doing it for the whole quarantine, but oh well. I'm definitely going to try to play more in the coming year.

White Charvel is a Model 4 from I think 1986. Active Jackson pickups, super loud and screamy and I love it. Warlock is from 2001 or so. Stock pickups are kinda lame but I have no idea what I should replace them with.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's less obnoxious than a wall mount and doesn't take up cabinet space. It makes sense to me, even if it sounds silly

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

Peavys good. Got an old ultra 120 that I've had since I was 16, so 19 years now. Pretty crazy, its louder than I'd ever need and haven't even plugged in in a long time. Really should sell it I suppose.

Don't sell it, just buy an attenuator for it, that way you can get the tubes nice and hot to get that sweet tone without blasting your eardrums out.

I just ordered this one today https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YBV87CB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it needs an effects loop to work, but if you don't have a loop there are other types of attenuators and variacs you can use to achieve the same thing.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've got a super base model Marshall MG that gets plenty loud for me. Something like their CODE series might be fun to play with but I just don't see myself dropping the cash on that. I've been trying to play more lately as I'm super out of practice. Should have been doing it for the whole quarantine, but oh well. I'm definitely going to try to play more in the coming year.

White Charvel is a Model 4 from I think 1986. Active Jackson pickups, super loud and screamy and I love it. Warlock is from 2001 or so. Stock pickups are kinda lame but I have no idea what I should replace them with.

Sweet Warlock dude, put Seymour Duncans in it :)

[e] That Marshall is my dream amp, that and a Fender Twin Reverb. Do you have an attenuator on it?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 1, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Door Frame posted:

It's less obnoxious than a wall mount and doesn't take up cabinet space. It makes sense to me, even if it sounds silly

Prior to covid my wife hosted monthly wine tastings, we thought it was cool. But we decided to keep the low table and as part of this we're getting the bench for free so still a win.

And my wife's step-step sister just lost her baby. She was 3 months pregnant. gently caress 2020 for additional reasons.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anyone else here play guitar? I mentioned awhile back that I finally got one of my dream guitars, an actual real Gibson Les Paul Jr.....I didn't have an amp yet, and a local musician friend of mine GAVE me his old Peavy tube amp and this thing is ridiculous, with my guitar and this amp cranked up it sounds like impending doom with a spot on Black Sabbath tone to it. Needless to say the cat is not happy about it :v:

I've got that same amp!
I found it in a dumpster with a blown speaker. I cut the cabinet down into a head to use with the speaker cab I already had.

I just finished building this mofo:

It's a baritone scale I built the neck from scratch the body was some cheap ebay thing I painted.
I have it tuned BEADF#b.
It does that baritone twang thing and can do doom easily too.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Yeah, though I generally stick to acoustic nowadays. My favorite is my Leo Kottke 12 String, but I've been playing this one a lot recently:

It was my great uncle's, looks to be a 1935-6 National Duolian based on the stamp. It's rough -- the finish was sanded off of the neck at some point? -- and could use some restoration, but it sounds great and I love playing a guitar that I know my granddad also picked on a bit sometime around the war.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Door Frame posted:

it holds all of six bottles, what is this, a wine rack for loving ants

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

I've got that same amp!
I found it in a dumpster with a blown speaker. I cut the cabinet down into a head to use with the speaker cab I already had.

I just finished building this mofo:

It's a baritone scale I built the neck from scratch the body was some cheap ebay thing I painted.
I have it tuned BEADF#b.
It does that baritone twang thing and can do doom easily too.

Funny you mention using the amp as a head because from what I've been reading online people are saying it's better used that way with a cab because apparently the speaker in it is crappy.....Might have to look into that if I can find a good cab for cheap but I have no idea on the specs, what kind of speakers it can push and all that.

Love the V, that's another one of my dream guitars, wish I had the disposable income to start a collection :v:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, though I generally stick to acoustic nowadays. My favorite is my Leo Kottke 12 String, but I've been playing this one a lot recently:

It was my great uncle's, looks to be a 1935-6 National Duolian based on the stamp. It's rough -- the finish was sanded off of the neck at some point? -- and could use some restoration, but it sounds great and I love playing a guitar that I know my granddad also picked on a bit sometime around the war.

Oh wow, I've never played a steel guitar before that thing is cool as hell I bet it's worth a mint, most old guitars like that are. Keep it in the family tho and pass it down to your kids, guitars are great heirlooms.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 1, 2020

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As a wine snob, I agree. You gotta temperature control that poo poo!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Funny you mention using the amp as a head because from what I've been reading online people are saying it's better used that way with a cab because apparently the speaker in it is crappy.....Might have to look into that if I can find a good cab for cheap but I have no idea on the specs, what kind of speakers it can push and all that.

Love the V, that's another one of my dream guitars, wish I had the disposable income to start a collection :v:

Oh wow, I've never played a steel guitar before that thing is cool as hell I bet it's worth a mint, most old guitars like that are. Keep it in the family tho and pass it down to your kids, guitars are great heirlooms.

I sort of wonder if my kid is going to end up a southpaw, in which case he's either going to have to learn to play backwards or restring something.

I think I can spare one for him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

As a wine snob, I agree. You gotta temperature control that poo poo!

I'm already plotting a hidden wine fridge.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Don't sell it, just buy an attenuator for it, that way you can get the tubes nice and hot to get that sweet tone without blasting your eardrums out.

I just ordered this one today https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YBV87CB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it needs an effects loop to work, but if you don't have a loop there are other types of attenuators and variacs you can use to achieve the same thing.

[e] That Marshall is my dream amp, that and a Fender Twin Reverb. Do you have an attenuator on it?

They were called power brakes in my heyday. Orange made a really good one haven’t seen one in years. I am all fender but I keep my Korean LP knock off for when things call for it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I sort of wonder if my kid is going to end up a southpaw, in which case he's either going to have to learn to play backwards or restring something.

I think I can spare one for him.

:stare: Holy crap. Reminds me of a friend of mine (another musician) that has a crazy guitar collection to the point he has to sneak any new one he buys past his wife or she gets severely pissed :v:

Thing that sucks about guitars is the good ones Are Not Cheap or I'd probably have 20 by now

everdave posted:

They were called power brakes in my heyday. Orange made a really good one haven’t seen one in years. I am all fender but I keep my Korean LP knock off for when things call for it.

Eddie Van Halen started it by accidentally a plugging in a European Marshall set at 220 into a standard 120 outlet. He noticed it sounded amazing at low volume when the domestic amps had to be blistering loud to get the tone he liked. So he tried a few light dimmer switches on his domestic amp and fried those, then went to a hardware store and asked if they had any heavy duty light dimmer switches......And was introduced to Variacs and the rest is history. The Brown Sound was created at that moment, and nobody could figure out how the hell he did it for years until he finally fessed up. At first he told people he increased the voltage and as a result lots of people fried their amps :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 1, 2020

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Rhyno posted:

I'm already plotting a hidden wine fridge.

What about converting a basement room into a wine cellar? Hide it behind a bookshelf door.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I only have one guitar.

I had a martin acoustic at one point, but I sold that for drugs years ago.

The only guitar I have (that I could never get rid of no matter what) is my 2001 Mexican Fat Strat Deluxe. I don't know what it is about that guitar but nothing else under $1500 (used or otherwise) sounds even remotely as good as this.

I'll post a picture later when I get home, but if you want to hear it in action check out this old song from my soundcloud. I originally made this song for one of the synth-goon compilations over in the synthesizer thread a few years ago.

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/blues-break-sa-comp-album-mark-4

And that was just with a BD-2 going straight into the interface because I had no idea what I was doing lol

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/e_m_a_c_s_b_o_y_s-10-clip

Not much guitar on this one but this was later with a twin reverb and a bunch of pedals (most of which I also sold for drugs).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McTinkerson posted:

What about converting a basement room into a wine cellar? Hide it behind a bookshelf door.

The basement is where I dwell. We only drink lovely beer down here

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I've got a couple of acoustic guitars, an electric, and a couple of basses.
I tuned the bass like 7 months ago and rocked out for like 20 minutes. That was about it. Back in the case and been shuffled around the basement ever since.
For a while there I was getting into synths and drum machines, and DJ stuff but then I got sidetracked and spent like $10,000 on computer keyboards and it's been downhill ever since.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Get them mounted in a frame with a photo of him imo.

Yeah, that’s a good idea. Thanks!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Amazing AA I had no idea. Don’t sleep on Mexican starts I have a 98that real rock stars (to me) have said is amazing. Sometimes they just put a guitar together right. American or wherever

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

everdave posted:

Amazing AA I had no idea. Don’t sleep on Mexican starts I have a 98that real rock stars (to me) have said is amazing. Sometimes they just put a guitar together right. American or wherever

Yeah that's how I feel about it. I just feel like there's something special about mine.

I really want to get a Gibson 335 at some point but they are far from cheap as every guitar person knows lmao. Also the clones/Epiphone 335s are pretty bad in my experience. Nothing compares to the real thing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Here's what we received (the bench is on backorder)
https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/bolanburg_dining_table_and_4_chairs_and_bench/APG-D647-255.html#q=Bolanburg&start=24&sz=16

Here's what we wanted
https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/bolanburg_counter_height_dining_table_and_4_barstools/APG-D647-324.html#q=Bolanburg&start=25&sz=16

The more I look at the dining room the better it looks. I guess it's only a 6 inch difference. But the lower table is a foot longer..

I dunno if you have guests, but I find bar stool heights super uncomfortable unless you have a real foot rest on the table, not the chair. I am too talll for virtually all stool or chair based foot rests, so if there isn't a bar on the table (which I can make work because I can just slide back a bit), my feet just dangle. That combined with my hosed up back makes these types of tables super painful if I've there for a while. I know I'm not the only person. I hate that tall tables have become such a loving thing.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

nm posted:

I dunno if you have guests, but I find bar stool heights super uncomfortable unless you have a real foot rest on the table, not the chair. I am too talll for virtually all stool or chair based foot rests, so if there isn't a bar on the table (which I can make work because I can just slide back a bit), my feet just dangle. That combined with my hosed up back makes these types of tables super painful if I've there for a while. I know I'm not the only person. I hate that tall tables have become such a loving thing.

Same issue here, tallish, horrible back and leg/nerve issues. Those things are torture devices for me.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I'll guarantee that this Marshall is not your dream amp. :v: Nothing fancy as it's just a solid state entry-level head.

I've thought about picking up some Seymour Duncans, but they've only got about a hundred different humbuckers to choose from.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I thought you guys would appreciate this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/justinsirois/lost-tomb-of-the-bitchin-chimera-dead-milkmen-rpg-module

Guitar chat:

Anyone play acoustic or classical? Kind of interested in that but I don't think I have the time unfortunately.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Well RIP Arecibo.
https://www.space.com/arecibo-observatory-radio-telescope-collapse-photos

I'm gonna go drink and play through GoldenEye.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

opengl128 posted:

Same issue here, tallish, horrible back and leg/nerve issues. Those things are torture devices for me.

Agreed.

I also think that high one Rhyno wanted is way ugly compared to the standard height. I guess a gently caress up can be a blessing in disguise.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well RIP Arecibo.
https://www.space.com/arecibo-observatory-radio-telescope-collapse-photos

I'm gonna go drink and play through GoldenEye.

This is a loving tragedy.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Wine chat: the wine fridge in the new Rolls Ghost has two temp settings, one for modern champagne, one for vintage. Racks in a dining table? How common. :agesilaus:

Arecibo was one of those things you saw a picture of in some science book in the school library and were amazed by, sending you down a rabbit hole of sciencey inspiration. I’m sad to see it broken and hope there’s a future for it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

I really want to get a Gibson 335 at some point but they are far from cheap as every guitar person knows lmao. Also the clones/Epiphone 335s are pretty bad in my experience. Nothing compares to the real thing.

Yeah I also have an Epiphone Les Paul and it just sounds flat and compressed compared to the real thing. It's up for sale now.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'll guarantee that this Marshall is not your dream amp. :v: Nothing fancy as it's just a solid state entry-level head.

Oh yeah never mind then, I thought it was one of the classic tube Marshalls. Nothing wrong with solid state amps tho.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah that's how I feel about it. I just feel like there's something special about mine.

I have wayyyyy too many guitars but most are ones I built myself or got cheap at thrift stores or found smashed in dumpster and put back together.

I have a Epiphone 339(like a 335 but slightly smaller body) that I found with the head stock snapped off. I glued it back together and it's probably my fancist guitar.

I have a whole corner of our basement set up as my guitar workshop with an old craftsman tool chest crammed full of parts and tools.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

I thought you guys would appreciate this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/justinsirois/lost-tomb-of-the-bitchin-chimera-dead-milkmen-rpg-module

Guitar chat:

Anyone play acoustic or classical? Kind of interested in that but I don't think I have the time unfortunately.

I don’t so much anymore, but a few years back I played classical almost exclusively. For better or worse, I got back into electric guitar and now just try to have fun jamming along with songs and making the odd recording.

I’m never going to discourage anyone from learning an instrument. It may be a hobby for me, but it really has helped me through my life. Good times and bad. So yeah, no harm in trying I think. Yamaha makes some good acoustics that aren’t all that expensive.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah I also have an Epiphone Les Paul and it just sounds flat and compressed compared to the real thing. It's up for sale now.

Same with the SGs. A proper SG Standard is on the list, but a while off. Just ordered a Gretsch Double Jet in Aged Natural, ETA unknown but it's shipping from a music store about three hours away to my local branch so hopefully I might have it by the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Guitar chat: any recommendations for a decent guitar I can gift to a beginner? Budget conscious but I’ll pay for something decent (and used is totally fine) - it’ll be a Christmas gift for my girlfriend.