Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Stick it out because when you finally beat the game, you get to go back and absolutely stunt on these bosses in NG+. It's immensely satisfying.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i killed the stair general by doing a plunging deathblow to take out his first lifebar then ran around and wailed on the musket guys since you can break their posture after maybe three hits combined with a bunch of dashing around to try and evade the occasional musket shot and also when the general got too close

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

One of the things they did so well in this game is develop actual consistent fighting styles. Like genichiro is a combo of isshin and tomoe (presumably, or at least the style of those dudes at the fountainhead palace where you find tomoe's body). Emma has a feminised version of isshin's attacks, more similar to O'Rin. Meanwhile Owl has a lot of the same moves as Sekiro. Etc etc.

And given the attention to fighting styles the bit of detail I just love is how much Ichimonji, basically Isshin's signature move, absolutely clowns Genichiro.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah Genichiro's signature multi-hit combo is the same combo the fountainhead palace enemies use and also one of the hidden skills you get (I think you get it from one of the pot guys) whose flavor text says it was a move tomoe used.

Emma's Ashina Cross having crazy range and being at a perfect 90 degree angle compared to Isshin's and Wolf's both having shorter range and looking much sloppier (especially wolf's) is pretty cool.

Isshin's signature move though is clearly shooting you with a gun

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tomoe prequel when

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

tomoe prequel when

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Well I killed the stairway general (after doing the initial sneak attack) with the very Dark Souls 1 strategy of doing my "floating passage" combat art from just outside his range, backstepping to let him whiff his counter, then doing it again, over and over and over until his health dropped enough. I can't say I feel particularly proud of finally killing the guy.

Meanwhile the Ashina Elite guy at the top of the castle tower I don't think I've hit more than once - thanks to the poster on the previous page who posted the tip about deflecting after the flash, I can usually do that successfully 2/3 of the time but that's not enough to not die within 10 seconds (and hilariously, when I resurrect he usually lands another 3-hit combo and kills me again before the cherry blossoms have cleared from the page - and I assume before the game lets me block, because while I'm holding down L1 he still carves through... or maybe I resurrect with no posture, I dunno).

Every time I finish playing this I'm just angry, so I think I was right I just don't have the skillset for it. Back to Bloodborne, looking forward to Demon's Souls. Thanks for trying to help, thread!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

thumper57 posted:

Well I killed the stairway general (after doing the initial sneak attack) with the very Dark Souls 1 strategy of doing my "floating passage" combat art from just outside his range, backstepping to let him whiff his counter, then doing it again, over and over and over until his health dropped enough. I can't say I feel particularly proud of finally killing the guy.

Meanwhile the Ashina Elite guy at the top of the castle tower I don't think I've hit more than once - thanks to the poster on the previous page who posted the tip about deflecting after the flash, I can usually do that successfully 2/3 of the time but that's not enough to not die within 10 seconds (and hilariously, when I resurrect he usually lands another 3-hit combo and kills me again before the cherry blossoms have cleared from the page - and I assume before the game lets me block, because while I'm holding down L1 he still carves through... or maybe I resurrect with no posture, I dunno).

Every time I finish playing this I'm just angry, so I think I was right I just don't have the skillset for it. Back to Bloodborne, looking forward to Demon's Souls. Thanks for trying to help, thread!

The ashina elite dude is basically just a big "can you parry correctly" test. This game doesn't give you the option to dodge or block, you MUST learn to parry or you will never advance.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The ashina elite dude is basically just a big "can you parry correctly" test. This game doesn't give you the option to dodge or block, you MUST learn to parry or you will never advance.

Yeah, that guy is pretty tough because he will combo you to death. I know its generally frowned upon but tapping the block button was how I went through enemies like that guy or lady butterfly. You'll get to know their animations and when to stop tapping and eventually your timing will improve.

Sekiro is tough but with perseverance and practice it becomes easier. I mean, I went from getting my rear end kicked over and over to when I did my final ending I beat most of the bosses up to the castle first time. And I am not very good at videogames.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think that people don't account for how generous the deflect window actually is, which is why tapping block feels more effective than press and hold when it actually isn't. However, specific fights have specific answers.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Only recently started this, and I think combats finally clicking for me. Much prefer the setting over dark souls/bloodborne, I always found the dumb accents in the voice acting for those games jarring. Liking the style here.

I beat that butterfly lady after maybe 20 attempts, she was goddamned hard. Are you meant to parry her attacks? I fought like a shameful ninja bitch and just blocked everything and used constant firecrackers, I definitely bought shame on my family.

What am I meant to be spending all my coins on here? I can't really find anything to buy. I've got 21 light coin purses and 5 heavy sitting in these raggedy pockets.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Crafty posted:

Only recently started this, and I think combats finally clicking for me. Much prefer the setting over dark souls/bloodborne, I always found the dumb accents in the voice acting for those games jarring. Liking the style here.

I beat that butterfly lady after maybe 20 attempts, she was goddamned hard. Are you meant to parry her attacks? I fought like a shameful ninja bitch and just blocked everything and used constant firecrackers, I definitely bought shame on my family.

What am I meant to be spending all my coins on here? I can't really find anything to buy. I've got 21 light coin purses and 5 heavy sitting in these raggedy pockets.

Butterfly grandma is a huge learning curve. Don't feel ashamed that you had to use tricks.

My only tip about money is to try and buy all the money bags you can off merchants. It effectively keeps your money safe from loss.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Crafty posted:

There's a smattering of important stuff spread out among the merchants: gourd seeds, the firecracker prosthetic, some gourds that lower your terror/burn/poison meter, treasure carp scales, etc. Otherwise you pretty much want to save your money for upgrading the prosthetics, which gets fairly expensive later on.

And yeah buy the pouches whenever you can to keep that cash safe.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

even if there are no money bags for sale, you can still buy a bunch of whatever to sell later to save some cash if you're coming up on a boss where you know you're gonna die 40 or 50 or 100 times.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Money curve in this game is harsh. At first you’re constantly broke because you’re always dying. During this period you gotta buy moneybags whenever you can so you don’t lose everything. Eventually it gets better (and you and your character get better) and in NG+ you can pretty much get more money than you can spend.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Real talk. I took a couple hours before going into the final boss to get all the remaining minibosses/beads and get all the prosthetic upgrades, and I'm in NG+ and literally can't find enough things to spend all my money on. I'm just buying up tons divine confetti at every memorial mob.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

Real talk. I took a couple hours before going into the final boss to get all the remaining minibosses/beads and get all the prosthetic upgrades, and I'm in NG+ and literally can't find enough things to spend all my money on. I'm just buying up tons divine confetti at every memorial mob.

Yup.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I can't kill Lady Butterfly fast enough in the second phase before she summons the illusions again. She must have summoned them three times. I get so close and then she summons those loving illusions and I have to start all over again. It's becoming obnoxious.

I really don't understand why From specifically mentions using a snap seed for the fight but makes only 6 available, with no possibility of farming for more.

edit: and just when I posted that I beat her, haha

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 3, 2020

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The one weird trick to beating lady butterfly (fromsoft hates it) is to just kinda ignore most of the illusions and sprint in a circle around the room when they pop so the projectiles all miss you.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mymla posted:

The one weird trick to beating lady butterfly (fromsoft hates it) is to just kinda ignore most of the illusions and sprint in a circle around the room when they pop so the projectiles all miss you.

I like running in a circle and then when they turn into magic missiles, just hide behind a pillar.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I tried to do a new game plus of this and the higher damage you take was through me off, so I just started a new game again. Oh well.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

I can't kill Lady Butterfly fast enough in the second phase before she summons the illusions again. She must have summoned them three times. I get so close and then she summons those loving illusions and I have to start all over again. It's becoming obnoxious.

I really don't understand why From specifically mentions using a snap seed for the fight but makes only 6 available, with no possibility of farming for more.

edit: and just when I posted that I beat her, haha

So, the thing about Sekiro is that it’s actually tiring for your brain and taking a short break to be angry on the internet can sometimes be just what you need. It’s kind of a meme, in this thread, for this exact thing to happen all the time.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I gave back Kuro's charm for NG3 and uh, this is insane. I made it through Gyoubu but it took all ten gourd charges and two resurrections.

His regular swipes took off half my bar through a block, and I have 48/50 beads. Jesus.

I love this game

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

I gave back Kuro's charm for NG3 and uh, this is insane. I made it through Gyoubu but it took all ten gourd charges and two resurrections.

His regular swipes took off half my bar through a block, and I have 48/50 beads. Jesus.

I love this game

It's like playing the game for the first time all over again.

Grats.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's like playing the game for the first time all over again.

Grats.

Yeah, 2nd time is a little like a victory lap and the the 3rd time was like, "oh, I remember this game is hard!"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The nightjar section before Genichiro is one of the most brutal sections in the game. I don't think I ever survived it without just running to where I need to be.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

The nightjar section before Genichiro is one of the most brutal sections in the game. I don't think I ever survived it without just running to where I need to be.

I use stealth sugar and kill most of them from stealth, but yeah it's incredibly unforgiving because if one of them see you, usually they all do, and fighting 3+ of those guys at once is bullshit.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

And then you get through all of them and there's the kamikaze guy hiding behind a blind corner. Rude.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey all, I need some help figuring out where to gone on my first play through.

I'm in the final phase of the game and just can't figure out how to get to Ashina Reservoir; since my confusion means I've resorted to glancing at online guides I understand I've locked myself out of the "best" ending because I Killed the dragon without eavesdropping enough? Or something? Disappointing but what you gonna do. but I really just want to finish the game before Cyberpunk comes out. I can wander all around Ashina Castle but can't seem to find out the right path into the Reservoir.

Fake Edit: Oh wait I know the starting point was sealed off earlier, but maybe if I go back to the Abandoned Dungeon it'll be unlocked now, I'm going to check that now.

Read Edit: No it's still sealed uggggggh

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 6, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm in the final phase of the game and just can't figure out how to get to Ashina Reservoir; since my confusion means I've resorted to glancing at online guides I understand I've locked myself out of the "best" ending because I Killed the dragon without eavesdropping enough? Or something? Disappointing but what you gonna do. but I really just want to finish the game before Cyberpunk comes out. I can wander all around Ashina Castle but can't seem to find out the right path into the Reservoir.

Fake Edit: Oh wait I know the starting point was sealed off earlier, but maybe if I go back to the Abandoned Dungeon it'll be unlocked now, I'm going to check that now.

Read Edit: No it's still sealed uggggggh

I think you have to swim underwater in the moat???

Ashina Reservoir entrance is right next to the area where you first got your sword back from Kuro and fough Seven Spears.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mymla posted:

The other weird trick is to never let her spawn illusions. If you never stop attacking except to parry, she never actually has time to do her bullshit. It's the first boss that teaches you that this is not dark souls and you don't have a stamina meter. Being absurdly aggressive is to your advantage because it lets you control the fight by sharply limiting the options of your opponent. When they do deflect you (the sound is different than a normal block), you parry their counterattack and then go right back in to ripping them apart. It also meshes nicely with the gameplay because you don't let their posture regenerate either, which means that you're keeping them on the back foot in literally every way.

It doesn't work on everything or everyone (Owl is pretty notable), but it's very strong when it does.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm in the final phase of the game and just can't figure out how to get to Ashina Reservoir.

The reservoir is over the walls out and to the right as your leave the front door of the castle proper. You can jump down and grapple towards the area from the top of the castle at approximately the first place you encountered the divebombing nighthawk guy when you were first ascending the castle, or you can walk out the front door and grapple up and to your right as you descend the steps where there was a general miniboss just after the bull.

Here's a speedrunner going out the bottom to the reservoir:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMb_Qf92hdo&t=4454s

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks all; I'd gone into the moat earlier, on my way up to Ashina Castle, but had just completely forgotten you can go left to the reservoir instead of right into a courtyard that leads up to the castle. Now I have the sculptor unlocked right outside the silverleaf field and got a taste of what's waiting for me.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Anybody play this on a Series X? Does it fix the framerate issues that you get on the Xbox one/ps4? I'm up to owl in my charmless run and the (admittedly short) trip from the dojo to the top of the castle at like 15 fps is really getting on my nerves.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Hulk Krogan posted:

Anybody play this on a Series X? Does it fix the framerate issues that you get on the Xbox one/ps4? I'm up to owl in my charmless run and the (admittedly short) trip from the dojo to the top of the castle at like 15 fps is really getting on my nerves.

I don’t know about XSX but on PS5 it’s unbelievably smooth. That exact moment where you grapple to the top of the castle and the frame rate craters was so very annoying. Especially on the 70th or so attempt. That’s gone now

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Took a break for a few days after being stuck on Owl (Father) because binging on the game was making my hand cramp up. Took down Owl, Corrupted Monk, Divine Dragon tonight. Ran around to find Demon of Hatred and getting my rear end kicked a bunch by him now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

So I just discovered that you can do most of senpou and do ashina depths and a bunch of stuff before Genichiro? For some reason I thought all of that was locked off til after fighting him.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

blackguy32 posted:

So I just discovered that you can do most of senpou and do ashina depths and a bunch of stuff before Genichiro? For some reason I thought all of that was locked off til after fighting him.

Bottom of the Sunken Valley is probably the one bigger area that is completely sealed off since you need a key from Kuro. And Fountainhead palace obviously.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I learned the hard way on NG3 that the order you do stuff post-Genichiro determines whether or not headless ape is an optional boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, level design in Sekiro is rather open-ended all things considered. Pretty rad.