Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bicievino posted:

Dremel + flathead screwdriver, or if even that doesn't work, super glue a cheap allen wrench in.

I figured dremel wouldn't work cuz the bolt is recessed in the lockring.
I've once successfully drilled through the shaft of the bolt and had all the threading gracefully come loose, but that'd be dicy with a really small bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd just drill it. All you have to do is drill the head of the bolt off and they'll come off the bars at least. Assuming you're replacing them anyway that is.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Hello all! My wife and I both have some experience mountain biking, but haven't ridden in years and finally got out to our 'local' mountain bike trails. I've been reading the thread for the past few weeks to get pumped and back thinking about biking.

There is a very well-organized, well labeled, maintained set of mountain bike trails, that is unfortunately a two hour drive from where we live.

https://www.visithatta.com/en/play/mountain-biking

If you're looking at the map, we just rode the green 1 trail 3 times- it got much more fun each time as I got more familiar with the trail and more comfortable on the mountain bike after so much time just doing road riding.

What does riding in the Hajar mountains look like?

With a decent shot of the bike and me:

Apparently it's very bright.

A few trails in the background:

The trails are well marked, with signs and junctions and some painted rocks every so often to remind you what route you're on:

And a fun downhill gif:

https://i.imgur.com/0wTktLI.mp4

It was great, and over the next month we're going to go back a few more times, ride the other green trails a few times, and maybe get some advice on what blue trails would be a good next step. The weather right now (for the next 3 months) is highs in the mid 80s, so this is really the time of year to get out and do it.

I'm also now looking at the used mountain bike market, to see if it's worth upgrading from my very heavy, very basic bike. Not necessary at all, but still fun to look.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing something I would have never known existed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gstu posted:

Hello all! My wife and I both have some experience mountain biking, but haven't ridden in years and finally got out to our 'local' mountain bike trails. I've been reading the thread for the past few weeks to get pumped and back thinking about biking.

There is a very well-organized, well labeled, maintained set of mountain bike trails, that is unfortunately a two hour drive from where we live.

https://www.visithatta.com/en/play/mountain-biking

If you're looking at the map, we just rode the green 1 trail 3 times- it got much more fun each time as I got more familiar with the trail and more comfortable on the mountain bike after so much time just doing road riding.

What does riding in the Hajar mountains look like?

With a decent shot of the bike and me:

Apparently it's very bright.

A few trails in the background:

The trails are well marked, with signs and junctions and some painted rocks every so often to remind you what route you're on:

And a fun downhill gif:

https://i.imgur.com/0wTktLI.mp4

It was great, and over the next month we're going to go back a few more times, ride the other green trails a few times, and maybe get some advice on what blue trails would be a good next step. The weather right now (for the next 3 months) is highs in the mid 80s, so this is really the time of year to get out and do it.

I'm also now looking at the used mountain bike market, to see if it's worth upgrading from my very heavy, very basic bike. Not necessary at all, but still fun to look.

Looks cool. Might be a good idea to look for some cheap/used pedals that give you a little bigger of a platform for comfort + control + not lacerating your shins. They all use the same thread.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Very cool! I bet there's some insane deals to be had on used bikes in Dubai.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Bud Manstrong posted:

You’ll be looking at aluminum bikes, and ideally something with at least 120mm of travel if you’re going to be playing around in those rocks. If you’re looking at new bikes, the Norco Fluid FS bikes have good geometry for general trail riding. The FS2 seems to be the sweet spot for price and quality, but that’s over your budget by $300. Canyon has new Neurons in your price range, and they’re saying December. There’s a new Canyon Spectral coming soon, and if they release an aluminum version, that seems great for what you’re looking at. If you want something even more descent focused that’ll give up a bit on the climbs, the Commencal Meta TR 29 looks like a hell of a bike, and they’ve got one for $2,199... next March :smith:

It sucks, but a seller’s market right now. Some folks think next year will be good for used bikes, and manufacturers are saying that bike availability will be hosed through 2021. So who the hell knows?

If you’re looking used don’t go much older than a few years; the further back you go, you’ll be sacrificing things like more modern geometry, 1x drivetrains, and dropper posts.

Feel free to post up some stuff you’re looking at and we can arglebargle about it. I don’t envy you trying to find a bike right now, but it’ll be worth it once you do.

after a few calls to every bike shop in phoenix, seems like decent full suspension mountain bikes are cleaned tf out. pretty much everyone i spoke to was like "we have no idea when we'll get more, could be as long as 8-12 months"

so after browsing some of your suggestions on the main Canyon site, I saw there was like one canyon neuron 5 left in my size so I read the writing on the wall and ordered it. should be here in a couple weeks, thanks for the help!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I refuse to believe that it's going to take 8 months to a year for a bike shop to resupply. Why would they even open?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I refuse to believe that it's going to take 8 months to a year for a bike shop to resupply. Why would they even open?

If they get mostly repair business, but even then it seems like lots of common parts are out of stock.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

VelociBacon posted:

When I bought my new bike in October they were saying it could be that long, but also that they continue to get bikes in a handful at a time and they never really know what they're gonna get in each shipment. Pretty much every bike shop in the country put in huge orders in the spring and now a lot of those orders are slowly being cancelled so the bikes are being allocated to other shops that can sell them.

Basically everybody at the ~10 shops I talked to said the manufacturers are saying 8 months, but realistically it's 2-3 months, if not less. You might get lucky. Keep calling the shops and asking what they have in stock and eventually you'll find something. I picked up a Trek Fuel that had arrived at the shop that morning.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

God Hole posted:

after a few calls to every bike shop in phoenix, seems like decent full suspension mountain bikes are cleaned tf out. pretty much everyone i spoke to was like "we have no idea when we'll get more, could be as long as 8-12 months"

so after browsing some of your suggestions on the main Canyon site, I saw there was like one canyon neuron 5 left in my size so I read the writing on the wall and ordered it. should be here in a couple weeks, thanks for the help!

That's a great bike, I have one as my first MTB and at least one other poster ITT does.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

this was in regards to FS mountain bikes. from what I've seen, most other kinds of bikes are still pretty well-stocked. the showrooms are sparse but not empty by any means

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ah. Gotcha! This year has probably saved a few LBS's.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Supply is so tight right now, the best entry level or intermediate bike is the one that mostly fits has modern geometry and drivetrain, a dropper, and is in stock

the real hard part is figuring out what fits and you're comfy with when theres barely any inventory to test on. When i was shopping in june there were 2 hardtails with all of those things here in town. I murdered my budget an bought the better one. Its better because it is purple.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Looks cool. Might be a good idea to look for some cheap/used pedals that give you a little bigger of a platform for comfort + control + not lacerating your shins. They all use the same thread.

I've been on the fence about switching to proper shoes, since I ride my road bike on the trainer quite a bit and ended up getting a used pair of shimano clipless road bike pedals from a friend when he switched his out. Sometimes I like to just ride around the neighborhood, so I would need some pedals with a decent size so they work with normal sneakers as well.

Does it really matter if I buy road bike shoes vs mountain bike shoes?

VacaGrande posted:

Very cool! I bet there's some insane deals to be had on used bikes in Dubai.

The road bike used scene is strange. I ended up getting a bike waaay higher quality than anything else I would think about owning (Colnago CLX, with some aftermarket upgrades) because someone was leaving the country quickly and selling things for cheap. No mid-range available- either very expensive road bikes or no-name imports.

I've only just started to look at mountain bikes, so it ends up being a few minutes of looking at listings, a few minutes of googling brands, and then realizing I need to ride way more before I can justify and large equipment upgrades.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gstu posted:

I've been on the fence about switching to proper shoes, since I ride my road bike on the trainer quite a bit and ended up getting a used pair of shimano clipless road bike pedals from a friend when he switched his out. Sometimes I like to just ride around the neighborhood, so I would need some pedals with a decent size so they work with normal sneakers as well.

I can't speak to clipless because I ride flat pedals but MTB shoes tend to be a lot more comfortable, especially for walking around off the bike. Someone else can answer that better than me! I was referring to flat pedals in my reply to your post.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Definitely get mtb shoes if your getting clipless, road shoes usually have zero traction and suck for anything that isn't pedaling on the bike where as mtb shoes will assume you are in the woods and might need to get off the bike and walk up something muddy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gstu posted:

Road shoes will limit you to road pedals, are very hard to walk in, and generally just aren't as burly. Also just replacing your current set with decent flat pedals would do you a world of good.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I use mtb shoes/pedals on everything. easier to walk around in and that way I don't have to worry about making sure my shoes and my bike match up, I just hop on and go.

also, I don't think road shoes have a huge efficiency advantage over mtb anyway. I still crush all my friends on climbs with my mtb shoes on a road bike lol

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I really want you to be talking about flats vs clips.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
yeah for non-races / non-ultra aero setups MTB shoes are the way to go imo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Zwift is a lot warmer but also it's not real bikes

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

First ride i've done in ages and my dropper post fails after an hour :argh:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
A barking dog distracted me at the top of a steep little hill and I lost my concentration and fell over into a bush (I wasn’t moving much just approaching the steep part)

Stupid dogs

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Levitate posted:

A barking dog distracted me at the top of a steep little hill and I lost my concentration and fell over into a bush (I wasn’t moving much just approaching the steep part)

Stupid dogs

This dog has the KOM and didn't want you coming anywhere near it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I have a tight, asymmetrical neck and a tiny head. My neck brace hits all the way around except for when I'm tilting my neck to the left. Would a beefier helmet help or nah?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't know what to say but that helmet looks extremely small. I don't think a larger helmet would make up the difference on your left side though, it's too much space. Have you had previous vertebral injury?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I thought the point of the neck brace is it keeps you from tilting your head much at all but still letting you turn and look up-down a little. I don't see that brace plus helmet being effective neck protection for you. Can you expand it vertically?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know what to say but that helmet looks extremely small. I don't think a larger helmet would make up the difference on your left side though, it's too much space. Have you had previous vertebral injury?

It looks small because it's a size small on a 6'4" person. I haven't had any vertebral injury but my shoulders are garbage so that's probably why my neck is tight

I can honestly probably get that range of motion evened out if I start stretching again, I stopped because the lack of flexibility didn't really affect me

Boogalo posted:

I thought the point of the neck brace is it keeps you from tilting your head much at all but still letting you turn and look up-down a little. I don't see that brace plus helmet being effective neck protection for you. Can you expand it vertically?

I think the point is to retain almost full range of motion and for the helmet to make contact near or at your end range

My helmet makes really solid contact with the brace at slightly less than my maximal neck flexion and extension so it's perfectly sized and functional in that regard

feelix fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 15, 2020

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I ordered a new helmet anyway, the one I have does fit small and it's falling apart and it's stupid to be willing to drop $250 on a neck brace but be wearing a non-MIPS-equivalent $60 helmet

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I’m looking at fat bikes; what’s the deal with this year’s fat tire bikes going 27.5”? It seems like you’re giving up some width; I’m hesitant as my spouse has a gravity bullseye monster and the 4” is brutally painful on loose snow. I’d like to run > 4.5” but I don’t really know if that’s a good idea.

I find that bike annoyingly heavy but it rides ok; but I don’t have a good feel if it matters for something that’s going to be used for casual midwestern trail rides; I don’t know if I’m going to be annoyed by that vs something like a kona w0 or surly ice cream truck or other name brand bikes. Also who knows what I can find; It’s the wrong season to be buying on top of rona.

I currently ride a 20 year old entry level aluminum specialized mtb during the not-winter, so it’ll be a change.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Probably just something "new" for the industry to sell you. I think wider is generally better and everybody recommended me 4.5" or more when I was buying last year. Everybody meaning my midwestern locals who ride fatties. They all suggested rigid suspension too since you're going much slower and didn't think a real fork was worth the trade off in weight. Definitely go tubeless since you need to be very low on pressures also.

I listened to all of that advice except the fork and dear god is it heavy. Probably like an extra 5 lbs more in the front end. I thought I'd ride it more in the summer on trails for shits but that didn't seem to be the case this year at least. It was way slower to get rolling and the gearing isn't great (28t front and wide chainstays for big tires don't really allow bigger rings, generally) so top speed was limited on my flat trails.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

I find that bike annoyingly heavy but it rides ok; but I don’t have a good feel if it matters for something that’s going to be used for casual midwestern trail rides;

Getting a bike that rides well for snow and for real dirt trails is gonna be a significant compromise. But yes, for snow, get the most clearance and biggest listed tires you can. I remember the 5" advertised I had only measured to 4.7".

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

I would ride the widest fatbike tyre you possibly can for snow. Biggest problem I have fatbiking is not enough float, and that's with 26x5".

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I do a lot of snow and ice riding with studded vee avalanche tires 4.8” on 95mm rims. I’d make drat sure snow specific tires are available in 27.5. The bike sucks rear end on dirt trails. I consider fatbikes snow/sand only toys.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
27.5 is faster in groomed trail conditions but you're sacrificing stand over height and adding weight to get it. These days I wouldn't bother seeking out a 26in bike but I also wouldn't sell a good 26 to upgrade to a 27.5.

Tire availability for 27.5 took a massive leap this year. You can get quite a few studded and non studded tires in that size from 45nrth and a few other manufacturers.

But oh boy are they sluggish compared to a normal hardtail. Definitely don't get a suspension fork expecting it to be your summer ride unless you also want a beefy hardtail for summer riding. If that's the case get a custom 29er wheel set built up for it. A few people do that around here; bluto and 29s in the summer, rigid w fatties in the winter. We see their bikes twice a year to tune em up and swap their forks.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 27, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Imo, getting a wheelset laced on fat bike hubs just isn't worth it. They'll be pretty hard to sell off if you end up not liking the bike as a rigid 29er.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah, I looked into another wheelset and couldn't justify the cost. Probably 60% of what I paid for the bike to get an ok hub (dt350 I think) and some stans rims. Better off buying a timberjack or whatever at that point IMO.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A 29er wheel set and a bluto fork for a fat bike is definitely not going to make it into a superb hardtail but it is a good option if you want a fat bike but also want it to be less portly in the summer. If you have the means for two bikes then ya it's definitely better to just get a hardtail and park the fat bike for the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

A 29er wheel set and a bluto fork for a fat bike
If you have the means for two bikes

Means is probably taken care of; just need the storage space.