Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I had a brainfart last night and managed to convince myself that an ounce was 5 cl.

Those were some hefty Mai Tais.

On that topic, anyone got some interesting rum combinations to try in a Mai Tai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

bolind posted:

I had a brainfart last night and managed to convince myself that an ounce was 5 cl.

On that topic, anyone got some interesting rum combinations to try in a Mai Tai?

My preference is to split between a Jamaican rum (I prefer Smith & Cross) and a column distilled aged rum (I usually stock Plantation 5 yr because it’s just what’s affordable around here.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Laocius posted:

So, the three main ones used in most drinks are triple sec, orange curaçao, and Cointreau. As I understand it, they aren’t completely interchangeable, but there are certain drinks where you can switch out one for another.
They kinda are. Cointreau is a brand of triple sec. Legally, curaçao is triple sec from Curaçao. Of course, Cointreau is a much better triple sec than that bottom-shelf DeKuyper poo poo. (DeKuyper actually makes a mid-shelf triple sec called O3 that's pretty good, but hard to find.) The big difference is between triple secs and brandy-based orange liqueurs like Grand Marnier and Tuaca. I think Tuaca is underrated, if a bit heavy on the vanilla.

You can also make orangecello; it's pretty easy. I don't even buy triple sec anymore. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Let me know if you want the recipe.

:justpost:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, I didn't even think of Tuaca as being in that class, and I was just trying the bottle of it I'd inherited last weekend.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

bolind posted:

I used to do half Appleton 12 and half Saint James Royal Ambre (a vieux agricole). That were some fine Mai Tais.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bolind posted:

My favorite is a 50/50 of Appleton Estate Signature with Wray and Nephew. I like it funky. Though also I make trashy mai tais using only Cruzan Blackstrap for drinking on my back porch in summer.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My go-to is 1:1:1 Martinique Agricole : Demerara: Smith & Cross. I put it in it's own bottle. Sometimes I put other things in but it needs those 3 components. I feel like getting junky Jamaican in is the most important.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Halloween Jack posted:

They kinda are. Cointreau is a brand of triple sec. Legally, curaçao is triple sec from Curaçao. Of course, Cointreau is a much better triple sec than that bottom-shelf DeKuyper poo poo. (DeKuyper actually makes a mid-shelf triple sec called O3 that's pretty good, but hard to find.) The big difference is between triple secs and brandy-based orange liqueurs like Grand Marnier and Tuaca. I think Tuaca is underrated, if a bit heavy on the vanilla.

You can also make orangecello; it's pretty easy. I don't even buy triple sec anymore. Let me know if you want the recipe.

It never occurred to me to use Tuaca in place of triple sec. If you want something different, you can try using elderflower liqueur in place of triple sec as a sort of twist that works in a lot of drinks (Elderflower liqueur has the same Cointreau Problem where St. Germain is insanely overpriced but legitimately much better than the cheap stuff, so your best bet is to find something good that's middle-of-the-road like Fiorente which is of course much less ubiquitous).

Tuaca is, however, the best liqueur to mix with coffee. This might not be me most strongly-held booze opinion, but it is the one I am most confident is unassailably correct. Brandy is the proper base spirit for coffee. Kahlua does not inherently complement coffee just because it is coffee-flavored. Frangelico, Nocino, even Grand Marnier, etc are too sweet to put a healthy amount into your coffee to make it boozy without overpowering it. MAYBE Orahovac is a contender. Tuaca is still best.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I've recently experienced chocolate desserts with a cup of good coffee and Grand Mariner and I liked it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

May I just be the pedantic weirdo and point out that it's Marnier, not Mariner.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Baileys is the best with coffee.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

The Maestro posted:

Baileys is the best with coffee.

Baileys is better with espresso than regular coffee, much better texture

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Tequila works SHOCKINGLY well with coffee

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Tequila works SHOCKINGLY well with anything

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I made some jalapeño tequila with Lunazul, specifically for margaritas. I just finished the bottle and need to get another. I’m wondering if there’s an “upgrade” I should get or if a margarita will render a different tequila less impactful. I rim it with Tajin chili salt so there’s a mix of flavors already.

I use Espolon for “regular” tequila drinks.

More Lunazul? A second bottle of Espolon? Something else? I’ll be jalapeño infusing this bottle as well.

e: Please Don’t Tell seems to like 7 Leguas

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 3, 2020

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I made some jalapeño tequila with Lunazul, specifically for margaritas. I just finished the bottle and need to get another. I’m wondering if there’s an “upgrade” I should get or if a margarita will render a different tequila less impactful. I rim it with Tajin chili salt so there’s a mix of flavors already.

I use Espolon for “regular” tequila drinks.

More Lunazul? A second bottle of Espolon? Something else? I’ll be jalapeño infusing this bottle as well.

e: Please Don’t Tell seems to like 7 Leguas

e: I am dumb and can't read.

Usually I feel like jalapeño takes over any infusions unless you're real light handed with it - considered trying a mezcal?

CleverHans fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 3, 2020

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

CleverHans posted:

Trying to parse this: you need a recommendation for a tequila that you are going to infuse with jalapeño?

Yes, and for specific use in margaritas. I've used Lunazul before but am wondering if I should get a better tequila, or if a better tequila is less relevant for my use case.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lunazul's a real standout at its price point, so spending more almost feels counterproductive to me.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yes, and for specific use in margaritas. I've used Lunazul before but am wondering if I should get a better tequila, or if a better tequila is less relevant for my use case.

I feel like spending more money on something you are going to infuse with additional flavors is unnecessary 9 times out of 10.
If you want to get gnarly with some smokey mezcal infusion on the other hand...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Okay. But I don't remember the ratios I used for my last batch. It was basically "let's make a whole lot of this and see how much I get."

Zest a dozen oranges. Put the zest in a sealed bottle with vodka or white rum. (If you want the final product to be liquor-strong, you'll have to use some Everclear or overproof rum, since we're diluting it later.)

Juice the oranges, clarify the juice, then freeze it.

Put the liquor in a cabinet for a month or two. Shake or stir it every week or two.

Strain the liquor through cheesecloth repeatedly until the solids are removed.

Make orange syrup with the juice, then combine it with the liquor. (I also add a teaspoon of citric acid.) You'll have to do some simple division to figure out the strength of your final product.

Honestly, I also like to boil the zest for that last bit of flavour. And strain it, of course. I'm really only doing that part so I can eat the candied zest.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Recommend me some cocktails! My partner is feeling sad about not going home for Christmas for the first time ever and asked if we could make special Christmas cocktails, but I’m drawing a blank! He wants something piney and “wintery and festive”, usually drinks things like aviations, mules, etc. He can’t have anything with wine because of an incredibly inconvenient intolerance that he tries to convince himself he doesn’t have every time there’s a French 75 on offer. It never goes well and I am not going to be spending Christmas Eve holding his hair back.

I on the other hand hate gin/anything juniper-y or smoky(mezcal, scotch) and love bourbon and whiskey based drinks. I usually get a boulevardier or the house Manhattan variant. I’m not opposed to buying bottles just for this but not something like a $60 bottle for something you need 1 oz of per cocktail since we don’t drink much outside of occasions.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
How do you guys feel about amaro? "Piney, wintery and festive" sounded like Braulio to me. It's an amaro from the Italian Alps and has a lovely pine/menthol flavor in addition to the usual rich, dark, bitter flavor of a traditional Italian amaro. A Black Manhattan using Braulio would feel pretty festive to me, and using rye as the base spirit would pump up the piney brightness of the Braulio.

Or just like, make some cranberry Kentucky mules and put a sprig of spruce or pine in there. That'd be nice too.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Hutla posted:

Recommend me some cocktails! My partner is feeling sad about not going home for Christmas for the first time ever and asked if we could make special Christmas cocktails, but I’m drawing a blank! He wants something piney and “wintery and festive”, usually drinks things like aviations, mules, etc. He can’t have anything with wine because of an incredibly inconvenient intolerance that he tries to convince himself he doesn’t have every time there’s a French 75 on offer. It never goes well and I am not going to be spending Christmas Eve holding his hair back.

I on the other hand hate gin/anything juniper-y or smoky(mezcal, scotch) and love bourbon and whiskey based drinks. I usually get a boulevardier or the house Manhattan variant. I’m not opposed to buying bottles just for this but not something like a $60 bottle for something you need 1 oz of per cocktail since we don’t drink much outside of occasions.

You need Zirbenz! I like it with whiskey and Brandy. Maybe try a vieux carre and sub it in for Benedictine. They sell it in 375ml bottles too

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Appreciate all the orange liqueur advice! Since they are apparently pretty interchangeable, I think I’m going to start with a reasonably priced tiple sec (probably Luxardo).

Although now I’m kind of curious about the nuances of the different liqueurs, so I’ll probably try a different one once that runs out.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thinking of freelancing a bit on a milk punch recipe, gut check wise, ratio of punch to milk should be about 4:1? Liquid intelligence has that for booze washing not punch washing. I just want to make sure I'm not over- or underdoing it with the whey that gets added to the cocktail.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Barbelith posted:

I used to do half Appleton 12 and half Saint James Royal Ambre (a vieux agricole). That were some fine Mai Tais.

Having the 12 but no orgeat, I tried making one just now with amaretto instead of the orgeat. It's p. nice but I doubt Trader Vic would approve

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Laocius posted:

Appreciate all the orange liqueur advice! Since they are apparently pretty interchangeable, I think I’m going to start with a reasonably priced tiple sec (probably Luxardo).

Although now I’m kind of curious about the nuances of the different liqueurs, so I’ll probably try a different one once that runs out.

Don't do it, spring for the extra and get the Cointreau. I switched to Cointreau from Giffards and it was like going from Diet Mountain Dew to Cocaine

"Interchangeable" means "can use in place of", not "is of equal quality and taste"

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 4, 2020

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I made orgeat with commercial almond milk and it ended up pretty nice. Maybe better than any ready made stuff, it's a bit different tasting. 2 cups almond milk (reg brand), 1 cup turbinado sugar, 2/3 tsp almond extract, 2/3 tsp orange blossom water. Reduce first 2 down about half with a gentle boil, and add last 2, bit of overproof rum as a preservative. Yielded 1.6 cups.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

Don't do it, spring for the extra and get the Cointreau. I switched to Cointreau from Giffards and it was like going from Diet Mountain Dew to Cocaine

"Interchangeable" means "can use in place of", not "is of equal quality and taste"

I ended up going with curaçao because my liquor store only had Cointreau and De Kuyper triple sec ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
After nibbling around the edges for years I finally took the full deep dive into tiki last summer. I held off on buying any fancy tiki mugs because I knew there's a good chance I'd get tired and move on but this one from Death & Co. was just too good to pass up and I had to splurge for it. It's only tangentially tiki themed but I guess it just spoke to me and it's my only real tiki mug for now.

Now if only I could find a way to get a couple of mai tai glasses from Pool Burger in Austin.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Because this thread has knowledge of liquors beyond the superficial, I was wondering what anyone thinks of Diplomatico Reserva rum? Is is truly Venezuelan, should I care, etc.? I like it as a sipping rum, it’s smooth and a reasonable price point. Other rums I’ve tried around the 35-55 price range have been edgy or smoky or had some other element I didn’t like. It also works well in cocktails but usually I go with more basic dark runs like Myers or Zacapa and such. Thoughts?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I just bookmarked the thread a few weeks ago.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 6, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Because this thread has knowledge of liquors beyond the superficial, I was wondering what anyone thinks of Diplomatico Reserva rum? Is is truly Venezuelan, should I care, etc.? I like it as a sipping rum, it’s smooth and a reasonable price point. Other rums I’ve tried around the 35-55 price range have been edgy or smoky or had some other element I didn’t like. It also works well in cocktails but usually I go with more basic dark runs like Myers or Zacapa and such. Thoughts?

Diplomatico Gran Reserva is a really excellent rum and it’s likely to continue going up in price, so enjoy it. However, as someone that exclusively used it in cocktails for a while, it is a little too good for that, and its best qualities- its sweetness and smoothness- would be lost in anything with citrus or tropical juices. The funk and smoke that you refer to will inform such cocktails and add complexity to them, by inverse.

You’d be better served with a big handle of Plantation or Flor de Caña for the same price, and set the Diplomatico aside for sipping or in old fashioneds.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It's my favorite Rum and I recommend it. It still also works well in a rum and pepsi. I've tried some Rums but nothing has sat well with me in its class of price or supposed equal. For the rum end of my bar thus far I've settled on Captain Morgan for a white rum and Diplomatico Reserva Exclusive.

I will second Anonymous Robots Plantation for mixed drinks if you want to use it bit I actually think the Captain line is solid.

I plan to visit a rum bar to see if I can find something else that I like.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Diplomatico reserva is rectified with a lot of sugar & vanilla after distillation:

http://durhum.com/here-we-rum/

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Diplomatico reserva is rectified with a lot of sugar & vanilla after distillation:

http://durhum.com/here-we-rum/

This is the type of thing I was wondering and why I asked here, thanks! Informative website and glad I can read it in French. I’ve long suspected that Diplomatico was “cheating” to taste the way that it does.

I still like it, but it’s always seemed too smooth compared to other similar rums.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

While we’re on rum. Is there any good ways to jazz up a Cubs libre?
I was thinking something like ginger bitters perhaps. Just a bit more complex flavour and punch?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

While we’re on rum. Is there any good ways to jazz up a Cubs libre?
I was thinking something like ginger bitters perhaps. Just a bit more complex flavour and punch?

Imo there are three levels here:

Level 1) use an aged column still rum. muddle your lime in the glass to get the peel oils into the drink. Add a few shakes of Angosturra bitters as well.

Level 2) use an aged column still rum, but cut a half ounce of it for licor 43. Use a craft cola like Fentiman’s. Switch lime juice for lemon in this one.

Level 3) total deconstruction. Use 1.5 oz of aged rum with a half oz of averna amaro. Substitute a cola reduction syrup for cola. Add bitters of your choosing and top with a dry champagne.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ooh I gotta try using Fentimans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

How do people feel about rum for a cuba libre? I really enjoy the taste of cola so I’m compelled to use an aged column distilled rum, but I do appreciate the sharpness that comes with a white rum. I think it depends on the cola- that sharp bite counterbalances the sweetness of Coke well, but with a craft cola it’s overkill.