Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I guess a PS1 emulator on a 3DS is serviceable if you don't have a PSP or Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Any point in keeping a wii u if I have a switch? Haven't turned it on in years. Most big games have been ported to switch by now right? Is it even worth selling like have they held any value?

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
It's useful for ganecube / wii, otherwise switch emulates everything else better

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Muk Dumpster posted:

It's useful for ganecube / wii, otherwise switch emulates everything else

more portably, yes, I don't know about "better" since the Wii/U has the made-for-the-console VC games to crib from and switch is entirely reliant on retroarch cores (unless that's changed with the Mario All Stars dropping)

a fair number of N64 speedrunners are playing VC Wii when available for a reason

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

For N64 maybe, everything else is better through RetroArch. The VC emulators are pretty poo poo in terms of accuracy, but they're not as heavy on resources as the more accurate open source stuff.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
N64 on switch is near perfect, even goldeneye

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Muk Dumpster posted:

It's useful for ganecube / wii, otherwise switch emulates everything else better

Yeah i never got around to setting that up and now i have both those systems anyway

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Yeah but gamecube roms

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So it’s.... a wii with a tablet?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Native Wii / GameCube / WiiU support if that matters to you. Retroarch / VC. I like mine as a giant GBA, though I find the switch unusable in handheld mode.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

So it’s.... a wii with a tablet?

And Wind Waker HD. Pretty sure everything else has been ported to the switch at this point.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Walla posted:

Ok, good. I'm relatively new to the softmodding scene. I can copy files and follow instructions but gently caress me if I actually know what's going on under the hood.

Honestly I think this describes everyone who isn’t actively developing mods for a system. We all just go through the checklist and say “well, I guess that worked!”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we’re on the topic of WII’s U, I have a PAL wiiu that I have modded with whatever the current method was around a year ago.

I assumed by modding it, I could make it region free but that seems to not be the case. How do I force NTSC things to run on a PAL console? Currently it refuses to run them. Pal programs run fine and the home brew setup in general seems to run fine too

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Some Goon posted:

Pretty sure everything else has been ported to the switch at this point.

I'm sorry you forgot Nintendoland, the best party game in the system. There was also a Wario party game.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I assumed by modding it, I could make it region free but that seems to not be the case. How do I force NTSC things to run on a PAL console? Currently it refuses to run them. Pal programs run fine and the home brew setup in general seems to run fine too

I had this question as well a while ago, and the only thing I figured out was that if you edit the system.xml file, you can place it permanently in region free mode, though a couple of games will still refuse to load if they don't find the right language as the default or something like that. I have not tried it myself. This is the procedure.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 2, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Awesome, I will try that thanks!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, but do keep in mind that if you gently caress up that file while editing it, you will brick the system. So 1) try to get a backup, and 2) be very careful

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Restoring a backup is horribly tedious and needs hardware, so really try and not gently caress up

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A Wii U is probably the best homebrew retro machine there is right now. It’s totally worth keeping imo. Being able to play 3 systems of games natively along with a bunch of emulation on the tv or semi portably kicks rear end.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 3, 2020

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

mandatory lesbian posted:

so im seeing a ps1 emu for 3ds but tell me honestly, will it play chrono cross

cause i have doubts

I just played through the introduction. Moment to moment is a good 60fps, but the first time anything loads for combat it drops, usually to 50ish, but the element tutorial hit 30 before the load finished. Noticeable, definitely. Cutscenes all run great, though. I would definitely call this acceptable as a way to play CC, but not perfect by a long shot.

And god, I forgot with an unmitigated dick Radius is.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Saoshyant posted:

I'm sorry you forgot Nintendoland, the best party game in the system. There was also a Wario party game.

I had this question as well a while ago, and the only thing I figured out was that if you edit the system.xml file, you can place it permanently in region free mode, though a couple of games will still refuse to load if they don't find the right language as the default or something like that. I have not tried it myself. This is the procedure.

I think it's safer to recommend this:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-spiik-region-language-changer.464126/

Didn't know this was needed, I've never had issues with the Japanese games I played on my PAL console...

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I tried patching a Pokémon emerald rom, but it hangs (at the “game boy” screen) when played on a krikzz ever drive GBA. It works fine on visual boy advance. Anybody have any tips on this? Foolin a GBA into thinking a patched rom is legit? It’s the only rom the ever drive won’t play

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Echophonic posted:

I just played through the introduction. Moment to moment is a good 60fps, but the first time anything loads for combat it drops, usually to 50ish, but the element tutorial hit 30 before the load finished. Noticeable, definitely. Cutscenes all run great, though. I would definitely call this acceptable as a way to play CC, but not perfect by a long shot.

And god, I forgot with an unmitigated dick Radius is.

I couldnt get retroarch working so idk what the heck :/

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Back to the Wii U, has anyone had any issues downloading games with disc2app, wudump or wud2app? I'm using disc2app which is based on the latter 2 and it's hung twice on Minecraft. This is the only game that's giving me any issues and trawling through GBAtemp is starting to give me a migraine.

I'll be happy when all of this is done. This has been the most time consuming and frustrating project I've done yet and I really hope downloading my 3DS collection doesn't approach these levels.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Keito posted:

I think it's safer to recommend this:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-spiik-region-language-changer.464126/

Didn't know this was needed, I've never had issues with the Japanese games I played on my PAL console...

I think I may still need to edit the xml file. You jogged my memory and I have spiik but it doesn’t work for some reason

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

so uhhh is there an xbox homebrew thread? Supposedly the Series S is an emulation BEAST. Plays PS2, Gamecube, dreamcast, saturn, etc.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Yeah hopefully it drops in price soon, I only want it for ps2/gamecube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGAjhjp8dnI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psTunlgKOMM

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I tried patching a Pokémon emerald rom, but it hangs (at the “game boy” screen) when played on a krikzz ever drive GBA. It works fine on visual boy advance. Anybody have any tips on this? Foolin a GBA into thinking a patched rom is legit? It’s the only rom the ever drive won’t play

Which hack?

(I have no idea but this might be useful information to whoever does.)

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

so uhhh is there an xbox homebrew thread? Supposedly the Series S is an emulation BEAST. Plays PS2, Gamecube, dreamcast, saturn, etc.

its just retroarch, right? Not that the new xboxen aren't impressive machines but $20 to install apps ain't exactly high-risk homebrew.

Cool as hell though, I sent my XBSX owning friend that MVG vid asap.

E: vvv it's (afaik) on both, MVG just chose the S when MS offered to send him a console.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 3, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I don’t understand why there’s a developer mode accessible on the S but not the X.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

SeANMcBAY posted:

A Wii U is probably the best homebrew retro machine there is right now. It’s totally worth keeping imo. Being able to play 3 systems of games natively along with a bunch of emulation on the tv or semi portably kicks rear end.

Definitely this.

While the gamepad was criminally underutilised by developers during its lifetime, there are some fun games that use it (Affordable Space Adventures, Nintendoland, etc) you won't be able to play anywhere else. They also don't sell for a lot so it's not like you're leaving a tonne of money on the table.

For this reason I actually bought a second one to mod and use as a travel system (it's a bit of a PITA to mess around with cables when I bring it places), planning to get around to it over the upcoming holidays. Bought a classic NES style skin for it on AliExpress, didn't 100% nail my first time applying a console skin (few small bubbles) but definitely improves the look over the scuffed up original.

Speaking of adventures in AliExpress, I'll post up in here with my results of doing a new 3DS XL re-shell when that arrives. I've picked up a spare new 3DS* and was going to try swapping it over to one of the Pikachu editions which we never got here in Australia, and seeing what I get for it on eBay.

*actually, several spare 3DS/2DS's of various models...

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t understand why there’s a developer mode accessible on the S but not the X.

It's on both but the S is $200 cheaper and, in terms of emulation, there's probably not a huge difference between the two because of the almost identical CPUs. So in terms of value the S has a big advantage if we only consider emulation.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Some Goon posted:

Which hack?

(I have no idea but this might be useful information to whoever does.)

Pokémon New Emerald

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Bought a classic NES style skin for it on AliExpress, didn't 100% nail my first time applying a console skin (few small bubbles) but definitely improves the look over the scuffed up original.

Piano black was a bold, and poor, choice for a finish.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zat posted:

It's on both but the S is $200 cheaper and, in terms of emulation, there's probably not a huge difference between the two because of the almost identical CPUs. So in terms of value the S has a big advantage if we only consider emulation.

Any links on how it works? Is it in danger of Microsoft removing it? Between that and Xbox’s already insane BC I may consider one.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Any links on how it works? Is it in danger of Microsoft removing it? Between that and Xbox’s already insane BC I may consider one.

Almost no chance they remove the retroarch app and no chance they remove developer mode.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Pretty smart, they've got a few of us tempted by indirectly allowing emulation of other consoles

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll definitely keep an eye on it then. Microsoft is winning me back over by simply making the Xbox more and more PC like.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Pokémon New Emerald

I assume the boot screen does some sort of checksum check. If it has a bad checksum it probably stops there. If you press select on an everdrive, you should be able to go to Options and turn on "quick boot" which should skip the boot screen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Either that or it just doesn't work on real hardware.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just one of those "well, technically it works" type of things. I don't think it's good at any length.

haven't actually tried this out, but it looks like they just got a pretty solid version of the emulator worked out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/jvkotb/full_speed_psx_finally_here_on_new_3ds_new_2ds_xl/

described as "full speed". I played through all of MGS on an earlier version and it wasn't perfect, but it worked well enough for me to shoot the gently caress out of a metal gear, on my nintendo 3ds.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is a bit of an oddball question but here it goes anyway:

I've jailbroken/hacked virtually every console ever made because I am a bit of a preservationist/hoarder. Meaning, I despise the idea of a game being forever gone because a server or e-shop went down. Or a rare console-exclusive game is now $400 on eBay. I don't do it because I want free games; my 40+ retail physical Switch titles will attest to that despite the fact that I have a 2nd Switch on CFW. I have a lot of physical games for all my systems but I always keep them on low firmwares for the sake of the games always being available, even decades from now.

So what I am wondering is the best way to backup games for each console. I just bought a 14TB hard drive (only $180 at Best Buy on black Friday!) and my idea is to back up the games on every single one of my modded systems. So I was more or less wondering what the best method is for each console, since they all handle game rips a little differently.

• 1) PS3: Mine is 100% BC so I have pretty much the entire PS1 collection on it, as well as a ton of PS2 and PS3 games. Some games are installed to the internal drive (that I've upgraded to 1TB), and some are installed to a 2TB drive that goes in the front USB port. I am guessing the best way to back these up is simply dump the /GAME/ folders to the 14TB drive for backup. I take it though this is not recommended for PKG installs?

• 2) OG XBox and XBox 360: Same thing; just dump the game files from the hard drive to the external

• 3) Wii: Just dump the WBFS folders/ISO files to the hard drive

• 4) WiiU: This one I am assuming is tricky. All of my games are installed to a USB drive, but I know these are just "tickets" or something in a confusing folder structure and layout. In fact, I don't even know what format the "installer" filers are because they come straight from WiiU USB helper and they're deleted after the install is done. Is simply copy/pasting the external WiiU hard drive enough? Or is that going to be a clusterfuck if I ever try to restore the games since they are "tied" to the console or something?

• 5) 3DS: same as above. I don't believe simply copy/pasting the microSD will be helpful if I ever need to restore anything in the future. Do I have to re-convert all these installed games to CIA files and then back those up?

• 6) PS Vita: I have the 3G to microSD mod in mine. Is simply copy/pasting that microSD card to my backup drive going to be enough? Or do I need them to all be in some sort of installable format? (VPKs I think?)

• 7) PS4: I already know the answer to this one. Basically you have to keep the PKG files around if you ever want to restore games lost on a dead hard drive.

The ones I am most worried about are the 3DS and Vita because I've had so many microSD cards poo poo themselves in my life, not to mention both those consoles seem to "tie" the installs to your console (for example, I can't just put my 3DS microSD in another hacked 3DS console and have all the games show up). Though I am not that sure of the Vita.

Thanks to any advice anyone can give! I know this is a weird one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This is a very complicated question in general but this should put you on the right path for most of these: https://wiki.no-intro.org/index.php?title=Dumping_Guides