Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't like the season with bezos bucks but I'm hopeful for season 5

I felt the same but it was more about the setting than anything else for me, and the new season seems like it'll be much more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it's mainly because the recent season was laying out the changing rules and where the factions went after the cease-fire / peace agreement was signed. Which is why is missed on roller coaster feeling of the previous season before that...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really looking forward to at least seeing how the show looks once Amazon starts producing it. Like, the early seasons have pretty drat good production values and look totally serviceable. Way better than what I'd expect from SYFY, but they still kind of lack the prestige TV production quality that I think really helps sell a science fiction environment. First two seasons remind me of mid range shows like Altered Carbon or something. Although there are some really cool shots occasionally.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Amazon doesn't produce the show (and neither did SyFy), Alcon does. Amazon just provides the money, and the budget has not changed at all according to the authors/showrunner. It looks better as it goes because they're better at doing it and CG's always improving.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

First two seasons remind me of mid range shows like Altered Carbon or something.

lol what. Altered Carbon cost Netflix a pretty penny.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Open Source Idiom posted:

It did feel like Netflix cut the budget for season 2 though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Drone Jett posted:

Too bad that episode 4 drops two days before Christmas, that’s probably the one that would otherwise get the most conversation going.

Like your Christmas plans aren't busted this year.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It did feel like Netflix cut the budget for season 2 though.

Almost every show has their budget cut for season 2. Sci fi shows just tend to get burnt by it worst since they have to do their best to make sets look different.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I'd been watching this as it was coming out initially but fell off for no particular reason when the midseason finale for season 2 finished up, and am just now getting back to it.

I'm a few episodes into season 4 at the moment and I would die for Amos, I needed to make that known.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sab Sabbington posted:

I'd been watching this as it was coming out initially but fell off for no particular reason when the midseason finale for season 2 finished up, and am just now getting back to it.

I'm a few episodes into season 4 at the moment and I would die for Amos, I needed to make that known.

Thank you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I meant that it’s obviously high budget and looks good, just like the expanse but it’s not really at that Hollywood movie tier that stuff like some HBOs bigger shows and like, The Mandalorian are at or whatever.

It’s not a dig on either show. Honestly near the end of season 2 I feel like the Expanse has really found it’s visual style and I’d be happy with it continuing to look this way for the rest of its run, but I was just curious if the production quality gets bumped even further when it’s bankrolled by amazon, because that’s what I have heard from friends who watch the show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

“Jesus Christ, not because I’m old! He’s been shot. “ :lol:

E: Finished season 2. That poo poo was straight fire all the way through.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 4, 2020

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

veni veni veni posted:

“Jesus Christ, not because I’m old! He’s been shot. “ :lol:

E: Finished season 2. That poo poo was straight fire all the way through.

Bobbie completely no-selling Avasarala emptying her handgun into her power armor was my favorite

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

veni veni veni posted:

I meant that it’s obviously high budget and looks good, just like the expanse but it’s not really at that Hollywood movie tier that stuff like some HBOs bigger shows and like, The Mandalorian are at or whatever.

It’s not a dig on either show. Honestly near the end of season 2 I feel like the Expanse has really found it’s visual style and I’d be happy with it continuing to look this way for the rest of its run, but I was just curious if the production quality gets bumped even further when it’s bankrolled by amazon, because that’s what I have heard from friends who watch the show.

Season Four looks much better than the previous three but mainly because the SFX director left to work on Altered Carbon Season Two (oops) and the guy who replaced him is much, much better.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pattonesque posted:

Bobbie completely no-selling Avasarala emptying her handgun into her power armor was my favorite

Bobbie and the cucumber sandwiches.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIWIF_lHhSZ/?igshid=14592yk45ewf5

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

:hellyeah:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Season 2 starts off with Bobbie constantly hulking out and being cheesy as hell, and I was like "jesus I hope this character doesn't last long" but by the end of the season she was one of my favorites.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I didn't like her for most if s2 but she was really good in the finale and later

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

lol holy poo poo just started S4 of 24 and both avasarala and errinwright are in it

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"Ma'am for the first time in your life please just shut the gently caress up!"

I love Bobbie

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TraderStav posted:

her in the background just demolishing them and preserving some for later and nearly choking on one when avasarala yells

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Pattonesque posted:

her in the background just demolishing them and preserving some for later and nearly choking on one when avasarala yells

The barely holding it together at "I didn't always work in space" sells that scene as well. And you genuinely can't tell if it's Bobbie losing it or if she's breaking character. It's great.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CommanderApaul posted:

The barely holding it together at "I didn't always work in space" sells that scene as well. And you genuinely can't tell if it's Bobbie losing it or if she's breaking character. It's great.

Either way it works!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

MA-Horus posted:

lol holy poo poo just started S4 of 24 and both avasarala and errinwright are in it

Uneven season with strong performances that carry it home. This is the performance that introduced me to Shohreh Aghdashloo. I totally forgot that Shawn Doyle played the red shirt who took over for Jack.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's kind of funny how everyone important to the conflict seems to randomly cross paths with each other and often end up on the The Rocinante. At least the show seems to realize it's funny as well "who else was on there? The Tooth Fairy?"

Season 1, I was like "what are the odds" that Miller and the Roci crew would show up at the hotel on Eros at the exact same time looking for Julie Mao, but that seems absolutely quaint compared to what we have going on in the middle of season 3 lol.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It's kind of funny how everyone important to the conflict seems to randomly cross paths with each other and often end up on the The Rocinante. At least the show seems to realize it's funny as well "who else was on there? The Tooth Fairy?"

Season 1, I was like "what are the odds" that Miller and the Roci crew would show up at the hotel on Eros at the exact same time looking for Julie Mao, but that seems absolutely quaint compared to what we have going on in the middle of season 3 lol.

In the book at least Miller takes a wild guess that the Rocinante is Holden's ship before heading to Eros instead of just randomly running into them

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Frank Johnson to Holden: "You're either some kind of genius Mr. Holden, or you're the luckiest dipshit in the solar system."

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
One thing that doesn't make sense to me upon rewatch is why Fred Johnson offered the Rocinante safe harbor at Tycho right after the Donnager. Presumably a martian corvette fleeing a martian battleship would be crewed by martians, so they would have no need of safe harbor? Even if it was a shot in the dark gamble it still implicates him to the martians by raising questions about why he has a telescope pointed at the battle?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Season 1, I was like "what are the odds" that Miller and the Roci crew would show up at the hotel on Eros at the exact same time looking for Julie Mao

That was such a great moment in book one. The entirety of book one is alternating Holden/Miller POV chapters and you can see the collision course a mile away. The book has it's problems yes but that scene, which I thought the show did really well, was very satisfying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, most of the stuff about the colliding paths of the characters has been good enough drama that I’m willing to just kind of hand wave that it’s statistically super unlikely.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

drewhead posted:

That was such a great moment in book one. The entirety of book one is alternating Holden/Miller POV chapters and you can see the collision course a mile away. The book has it's problems yes but that scene, which I thought the show did really well, was very satisfying.

Yeah, I liked the book way less but when Miller starts picking up on the threads it’s like ooooohhhh shiiiiiit.

I also really liked the bit in book 4 where avasarala claims she sent Holden cause she assumed he’d make a huge loving mess in the process and the experience would scare people away from protomolecule poo poo again. The way I remember it, the main cast wound up in the poo poo by happenstance, and then after that there’s at least some reason they’re still involved each time.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Joe Mantis posted:

One thing that doesn't make sense to me upon rewatch is why Fred Johnson offered the Rocinante safe harbor at Tycho right after the Donnager. Presumably a martian corvette fleeing a martian battleship would be crewed by martians, so they would have no need of safe harbor? Even if it was a shot in the dark gamble it still implicates him to the martians by raising questions about why he has a telescope pointed at the battle?
Because it was based on a tabletop roleplaying game on a messageboard and Tycho was the group's crash pad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The time jump in episode 7 of season 3 is extremely abrupt and I can’t figure out why Naomi has a belter accent all of a sudden.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

She's a Belter. She's code switching since she's with her people.

E: Also the jump there is you went from book 2 to book 3. They don't do book breaks right on season breaks all the time.

The back half of S3 is also maybe the most intensely paced TV I've ever seen, hold on to your rear end.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 5, 2020

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Yeah, code-switching is a very real phenomenon. An old coworker of mine was Indian but moved to the US for high school onwards. He only had a bit of an accent most of the time, but when speaking to the Indian contractors in English, his accent would suddenly get much thicker

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

veni veni veni posted:

The time jump in episode 7 of season 3 is extremely abrupt and I can’t figure out why Naomi has a belter accent all of a sudden.

It's been covered why, but this is another example of reasonable things that the show just casually slips in without putting a character on screen to tell the camera how it's right

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

404notfound posted:

Yeah, code-switching is a very real phenomenon. An old coworker of mine was Indian but moved to the US for high school onwards. He only had a bit of an accent most of the time, but when speaking to the Indian contractors in English, his accent would suddenly get much thicker

Umm, I believe its called revertigo.

https://youtu.be/n74O3GXRtbY

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

drewhead posted:

The hotel shootout was great for setup and how Amos starts slowly figuring in the setup part how it’s a trap/ambush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Mu Zeta posted:

Based on what I know about the material they'll be adapting it'll be drat hard to not make seasons 5 and 6 the best seasons of the show's overall run. I can think of multiple scenarios/scenes that I think will be amazing on both the "cool character/story stuff" and "crazy CG spectacle" levels.