Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

KaosMachina posted:

So we're getting Mike Murdock is: MATT MURDOCK, part 2, where he's a totally different person from Daredevil, because Daredevil is in jail.

Huh.

Obviously we know the plot of the next Amalgam crossover now, since we're revisiting all the 90s tone hits now, including the desperate need for sales in the face of bankruptcy

They are totally different people, that was the point of the annual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

How Wonderful! posted:

God Knull is just so boring to look at. I don't know if this would be a good comic if he had a decent design but having an abysmally dull one sure doesn't help.

The fact that his logo is a riff on Spider-Man's even though he's the oldest being in the universe really irks me. I guess maybe he added it when he encountered Venom but I don't think he's been depicted without it at any point.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
No see Spider-Man’s is actually a riff on his. Knull’s logo is a dragon that just happens to work really well as a spider.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TheHan posted:

No see Spider-Man’s is actually a riff on his. Knull’s logo is a dragon that just happens to work really well as a spider.

Nevermind that Julia Carpenter had the design first so it makes no loving sense.

And yeah, Daredevil was great and I love where it's going. I wasn't expecting it at all but I hope it lasts a while.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So character of the decade: Knull or The Batman who Laughs?

Follow up: If you locked Scott Snyder and Donny Cates in a room, do they pen a team up comic or get in a fist fight over which character's cooler?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Follow up: If you locked Scott Snyder and Donny Cates in a room, do they pen a team up comic or get in a fist fight over which character's cooler?

They’re not mutually exclusive.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KaosMachina posted:

Obviously we know the plot of the next Amalgam crossover now, since we're revisiting all the 90s tone hits now, including the desperate need for sales in the face of bankruptcy
So what's the combined character called, No Joke?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Someone excitedly told me he hoped that King in Black was going to be Cates' Death Metal. :unsmith:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TwoPair posted:

God i hated the recent issues of Venom with the Avengers and all Carol and Jenn talk about is how badly they want to bone Eddie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

Nevermind that Julia Carpenter had the design first so it makes no loving sense.

Seriously. Spider-Woman erasure!
Peter even credits her during Secret War.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the big difference between the Joker Who Wears Black and Knull is that the former is, in the context of the actual story, not particularly terrible; he's treated in a very self-aware fashion (in the core books at least) and even beyond that, one of the meta points of Metal and Death Metal is "Enough with the freaking Batmen who always win already". The problem is, people are so frustrated with the aspects of Joker and Batman that Judge Batdeath embodies, it's hard for certain people to see through that pre-existing irritation to appreciate the comic going "Look, we get it; this is pretty stupid conceptually, HOWEVER..."

Meanwhile Knull is just not very good.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

God Knull is just so boring to look at. I don't know if this would be a good comic if he had a decent design but having an abysmally dull one sure doesn't help.

I really am baffled how they decided to make a symbiot diety, tied to All Black the Necro Sword, and the best design they could come up with is "D&D villain with a big mouth".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's even worse when every symbiote thing looks cool and distinct except for Knull.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I don't think I've read a single book featuring Knull and I aim to keep it that way.
I'm super behind in Thor, though. He doesn't show up in Thor, does he? I keep meaning to drop Thor but keep forgetting to.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think Knull is an awful character, but Venom has been pretty good despite his presence. I don't think I've read a Batman Who Laughs comic that I've enjoyed so far (though I haven't read all of them). Based on that, I think I have to give the edge to Knull.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JordanKai posted:

I think Knull is an awful character, but Venom has been pretty good despite his presence. I don't think I've read a Batman Who Laughs comic that I've enjoyed so far (though I haven't read all of them). Based on that, I think I have to give the edge to Knull.

I liked the original Dark Knights Metal book.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
No bones for people who dig it and I hope whoever's out there that does gets all the Cates they can handle, but I think King In Black is one of the most unpleasant comics I've ever read.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Shirkelton posted:

No bones for people who dig it and I hope whoever's out there that does gets all the Cates they can handle, but I think King In Black is one of the most unpleasant comics I've ever read.

Yeah, and Cates' Thor has been really grim for me too - excepting the two issue arc in Broxton, which was quite chill and pleasant so he can do that. (I liked the Venom beyond arc too, actually.) I am not well-disposed towards such mistreatment of Beta Ray Bill, but, even so, it just reminds me of Rosenberg's Uncanny run, where, unintentionally or not, there's a ugly sense of malice towards the characters that comes through.

Letters pages for Cates' stuff are mad enthusiastic and he got another big event after Absolute Carnage, so clearly it has an audience, but it's an ick from me. It doesn't help that King in Black #1 felt like a medley of previous events shocking moments, even allowing for the direct homage.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It was very similar in that they introduced a lot of villains that would have been good recurring villains for the world's biggest superhero team, then killed them all off. I am glad the Black Order guys got resurrected (if forgotten about), but I think the Wild Hunt one shots were the best part of Darkest Night.

Just one more reminder for me that Avengers: No Surrender was great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think the big difference between the Joker Who Wears Black and Knull is that the former is, in the context of the actual story, not particularly terrible; he's treated in a very self-aware fashion (in the core books at least) and even beyond that, one of the meta points of Metal and Death Metal is "Enough with the freaking Batmen who always win already". The problem is, people are so frustrated with the aspects of Joker and Batman that Judge Batdeath embodies, it's hard for certain people to see through that pre-existing irritation to appreciate the comic going "Look, we get it; this is pretty stupid conceptually, HOWEVER..."

Meanwhile Knull is just not very good.

Skwirl posted:

I agree with both of these, the only problem with the Batman Who Laughs is that he should've been a one-and-done villain but since Snyder clearly likes him, he keeps coming back. He got a mini, he got a storyline/mini-event that stretched across multiple titles where he turned characters evil, he had Joker talk about how cool deadly he is in Justice League, and I'd be willing to stake money that Death Metal has a stinger scene showing that BWL survives.

If Cates can avoid that trap and just have Knull go away after KiB, Knull will be... well okay, he probably won't be fondly remembered, but I can see people looking back in a few years going "eh, Knull wasn't that bad" since like JordanKai said, a lot of his other work on Venom has been pretty good. But I have zero faith that Cates will kill Knull in this event and I feel sure that he'll pop up again in some later Cates work.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 4, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it turns out that all you have to do to conquer 616 earth is to send in an infinite number of completely invulnerable monsters. too bad no one else ever thought of that!

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it turns out that all you have to do to conquer 616 earth is to send in an infinite number of completely invulnerable monsters. too bad no one else ever thought of that!

Corrupted Celestials are so hot right now.
[Aaron's Avengers and Cates' King in Black]

Why not have a villain accrue powers by defeating people too?
[Spencer's Sin-Eater and Cates' Donald Blake]

I'm still so hyped for Black Cat's return though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Also, Frost Giants won't work.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I feel like I *should* dislike Knull and everything associated with him but I've actually been enjoying Cates' run and most of the buildup to KiB, idk

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Diet Poison posted:

I don't think I've read a single book featuring Knull and I aim to keep it that way.
I'm super behind in Thor, though. He doesn't show up in Thor, does he? I keep meaning to drop Thor but keep forgetting to.

He doesn’t show up in Aaron’s run at all, but Cates heavily references him in his very first Thor arc (if he isn’t outright stated to be the villain - still not sure what the deal with the Black Winter was supposed to be).

Jumping directly from Aaron to Cates is a ... stark change, to say the least. It’s a much lessened book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I agree with both of these, the only problem with the Batman Who Laughs is that he should've been a one-and-done villain but since Snyder clearly likes him, he keeps coming back. He got a mini, he got a storyline/mini-event that stretched across multiple titles where he turned characters evil, he had Joker talk about how cool deadly he is in Justice League, and I'd be willing to stake money that Death Metal has a stinger scene showing that BWL survives.

If Cates can avoid that trap and just have Knull go away after KiB, Knull will be... well okay, he probably won't be fondly remembered, but I can see people looking back in a few years going "eh, Knull wasn't that bad" since like JordanKai said, a lot of his other work on Venom has been pretty good. But I have zero faith that Cates will kill Knull in this event and I feel sure that he'll pop up again in some later Cates work.

I can almost certainly guarantee this won't be the last we hear of Knull.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So what's the combined character called, No Joke?

lull

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I feel like if you're a comics writer, creating a new major character who might get a movie adaptation one day, and then trying hard to make them happen, is probably pretty tempting. If you do a big crossover with Thanos that gets adapted into a major motion picture, you don't see residuals. If you do one with your original Not Thanos that gets adapted, under a lot of work for hire contracts, you do.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Blockhouse posted:

I doubt Donny Cates said "put in old Cable" that's probably on Stegman

He probably asked Chip Zdarsky, who probably told him "no it's fine the old Cable is back, yeah, trust me" while snorting behind his hand the whole time

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

To be fair, in a few years Old Cable will be back And being an event book, nobody will even remember King in Black happened, regardless of what big dumb death they shovel in.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Well, they already did the “Big Serious Death,” in a scene that legitimately felt like it was written by a 14 year old.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

He probably asked Chip Zdarsky, who probably told him "no it's fine the old Cable is back, yeah, trust me" while snorting behind his hand the whole time

If I was writing Marvel stuff I would have Cable show up all the time. But he would be different.
Like some time he would be pure technorganic, some time he would be female. Some time he would be a giant cyborg chickenman.
Just shrug and explain that it's due to his time travelling adventures. Like with Starhawk in Guardians.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Nilbop posted:

Well, they already did the “Big Serious Death,” in a scene that legitimately felt like it was written by a 14 year old.

Lol if you think that was the big one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Isn't old Cable already back? I could've sworn there was a stinger scene in some X-book or another that showed he was back and just lying low, watching kid Cable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Isn't old Cable already back? I could've sworn there was a stinger scene in some X-book or another that showed he was back and just lying low, watching kid Cable.

Kid Cable went and pulled the metal arm off Old Cable's body. (Which was in Deadpool's game room).

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

radlum posted:

On to better comics, Chip's Daredevil keeps getting better every month; besides X-Men stuff, Daredevil and Immortal Hulk are the best books every month.

This. Also enjoying Thor currently. I’ve out of comics for 20+ years, but the current plague has brought me back. The last storyline of Venom that I am familiar with is McFarlane’s origins in ASM and I enjoyed the heck out of KiB #1. Just say’in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

Yes, he's shown up in the last few pages in the Cable series a couple times but he's doing something else somewhere else in time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah the Old Cable scenes in the current Cable book all show him at some indeterminate point in what I assume is the far future.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's hard to say what that even means since it's not like he is a different person. it's an older version of cable, in the future. that's where you'd expect older versions of any character to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Has young Cable ever interacted with young Stryfe?