Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Blaziken386 posted:

Does anyone know if the "pretend to buy something from nooks/donate to blathers to force balloon spawns" is an actual thing, or is it just a dumb rumor, like the "clap for the Dodos to get better mystery islands" thing was?

Slugworth posted:

If you mean running into a building to reset the balloon spawns, it's supposedly been debunked, but anecdotally, it honestly seems to have some minor effect. Another goon spreadsheeted his experience with doing it vs not, and it seemed to help him as well.

Oh hey, that goon was me! I kept track of 10 hours of balloon farming. During the first 3 I didn’t go inside at all, and for the latter 7 I entered and exited any building between intervals. (I did not bother with the “start a sale” thing, and mostly used villager houses because they were close to shore). In those first 3 hours 47% of possible spawns produced balloons, with frequent bouts of 2-3 empty spawns in a row. The latter 7 hours had a 74% chance, and almost never had two consecutive empty spawns.

It could definitely use more testing, especially with the first method. For obvious reasons I was reluctant to do more testing that way. But it’s entirely possible I just got unlucky at first and my data is bunk.

And just for clarification, it did not seem to have any effect on the likelihood of getting DIYs. There’s a reason it took 10 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

kid sinister posted:

Does the dung beetle only appear if it's snowing?
They appear on snowballs, which only show up once snow is on the ground. I think it's around the 10th or so when that happens?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I also had significantly better luck farming spawns going into buildings than not.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Actively farming spawns sounds like hell.

Set up jail bars, put a music player next to you on quiet, crank up your volume, and (this is the most important step) go do something else. Watch TV, play another game, read. Anything that you can drop for a couple seconds every 5-10 minutes, and won't be ruined by the sound of wind wooshing coming from your switch.

I got most of the November spawns in a single day like that.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

runchild posted:

Oh hey, that goon was me! I kept track of 10 hours of balloon farming. During the first 3 I didn’t go inside at all, and for the latter 7 I entered and exited any building between intervals. (I did not bother with the “start a sale” thing, and mostly used villager houses because they were close to shore). In those first 3 hours 47% of possible spawns produced balloons, with frequent bouts of 2-3 empty spawns in a row. The latter 7 hours had a 74% chance, and almost never had two consecutive empty spawns.

It could definitely use more testing, especially with the first method. For obvious reasons I was reluctant to do more testing that way. But it’s entirely possible I just got unlucky at first and my data is bunk.

And just for clarification, it did not seem to have any effect on the likelihood of getting DIYs. There’s a reason it took 10 hours.
Slightly upset that buildings are somewhat necessary, but glad to hear that actually talking to blathers isn't required. It makes things much less of a hassle.

In slightly related news, I've come to the conclusion that if you don't have a space on your island dedicated to Mushroom Lamps, you are Playing The Game Wrong™

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh hey, campsite visitor!

Deirdre. Interesting, I was literally thinking less than an hour ago that I might consider replacing Katt if I found a nicer sisterly. But I don't think I like her more than my cat. (The lips are kind of offputting. As is the catchphrase.) Ah well.

Today is going to be a fishing day, I think. I may go to Nook islands as well to make things easier and/or more interesting (and because I want to see snow and my island is apparently going to be dry and sunny forever).

e; first island was money rock and I caught three of the six fish I need. Nice.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 2, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Marcel is finally gone! Time to go island hopping and find a suitable replacement. Right now we have Hamlet, Phoebe, Annabelle, Drago, Stitches, Rosie, Tipper, Bertha, and Raymond.

Also, if anyone has spare mushroom and/or fall DIYs, please DM me. We have plenty of stuff to pick up on our island, and we can work out other trades of bulk stuff we have, including Nook Mile tickets, etc.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Reading a Toy Day guide and seeing all the different colors of the Toy Day items :argh:

Reading on and seeing that Toy Day recipes will primarily be from balloon drops again :argh::argh::argh:

Fix it, Nintendo!

Also, I gave Bianca a paw-print plaque for her front door and she never put it up. Glitch or her thinking I have poor taste?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

SilentChaz posted:

Also, I gave Bianca a paw-print plaque for her front door and she never put it up. Glitch or her thinking I have poor taste?

Can't you just put stuff on their front door yourself? I feel like that's what my spouse did for everyone to have shell wreaths during the summer and branch wreaths during the fall.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

SilentChaz posted:

Reading a Toy Day guide and seeing all the different colors of the Toy Day items :argh:

Reading on and seeing that Toy Day recipes will primarily be from balloon drops again :argh::argh::argh:

Fix it, Nintendo!

Did you mail it or actually give it to her?

I always mailed door decorations and didn’t have a problem until the thanksgiving patch. It took three tries before they finally displayed the wreath.

I’ve never actually handed them a door decoration before, always mailed.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Did you mail it or actually give it to her?

I always mailed door decorations and didn’t have a problem until the thanksgiving patch. It took three tries before they finally displayed the wreath.

I’ve never actually handed them a door decoration before, always mailed.

I mailed it, which I've done before with everyone on my island and never had a problem until now. Bianca moved in around Thanksgiving so maybe it's just that glitch. I'll keep sending them to her until she puts it up. (And chip away at that Nook Miles goal for sending letters.)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Everytime I hand then a door item, it's up by the next day

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Dodo: in the PGS thread!

Saharah is in Numenor with the following:

Mystery Wall: Mangrove Wall
Mystery Floor: Future-Tech Flooring
Small: Ivory Simple Bath Mat
Medium: Pink Rose Rug
Large: Modern Wavy Rug

Nook: Pop-Up Shark Book, Turnips selling at 362.
Able's: Pompom and Retro and Holiday Sweaters, Festive Tree Dresses
Julianis making a Ironwood Cart.

Please water flowers to the right. Saharah can be found to the far left on the beach.

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 2, 2020

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

This town is very well-designed, the layers of scenery in the background of just about every spot adds a lot to the atmosphere.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Reiley posted:

This town is very well-designed, the layers of scenery in the background of just about every spot adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Awww, thank you so much! I’m really proud of the layout, I feel like it’s finally settled after so long tweaking it.

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Pet Portraits and Custom Commissions
It is finally that time of year! Sapphire has TT’d to mid-December and has been decorated from head to toe with the finest of Holiday decorations. Please help yourself to one mystery balloon present and one wrapped present (green or red), both kinds laying around the island. Also, be sure to find Santa for a photo op! He’ll either be in his house (marked on the map) waiting for you to sit by him or running around the island. And don’t miss the holiday parade along the beaches! A huge thank you and shout out to everyone who donated to this large project. Couldn’t have done it without you!!

I’m thrilled to open this for you. Takes around a half hour to see everything. Leave us a board post if you enjoyed your visit!

Welcome to Winter Wonderland!
CLOSED FOR THE NIGHT, thanks all! :)

Nook’s has blue RC helicopters, Ables has festive tree dresses.

RPGsArts fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 3, 2020

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

HeartArt posted:

It is finally that time of year! Sapphire has TT’d to mid-December and has been decorated from head to toe with the finest of Holiday decorations. Please help yourself to one mystery balloon present and one wrapped present (green or red), both kinds laying around the island. Also, be sure to find Santa for a photo op! He’ll either be in his house (marked on the map) waiting for you to sit by him or running around the island. And don’t miss the holiday parade along the beaches! A huge thank you and shout out to everyone who donated to this large project. Couldn’t have done it without you!!

I’m thrilled to open this for you. Takes around a half hour to see everything. Leave us a board post if you enjoyed your visit!

F Q M 3 J

:neckbeard: Your island is adorable, I love it so much.

As a side note, I just restarted my island from scratch, so I really appreciated being able to get to an Able's shop to stop looking like a hobo and more like a super chic hobo.

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Casu Marzu posted:

:neckbeard: Your island is adorable, I love it so much.

As a side note, I just restarted my island from scratch, so I really appreciated being able to get to an Able's shop to stop looking like a hobo and more like a super chic hobo.

Thanks!! Glad you could visit :)

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

HeartArt posted:

Thanks!! Glad you could visit :)

Seconding. Your island is amazing!

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Seconding. Your island is amazing!

Thanks so much!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

HeartArt posted:

F Q M 3 J

It's so CUTE!!! :swoon:

I actually got a little teary-eyed walking around - there's a yearly christmas light festival thing in my city which was cancelled this year due to THE PLAGUE, and I was kinda bummed about missing it, but your island was like a smaller version of it!! It's super duper great!!!

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Blaziken386 posted:

I actually got a little teary-eyed walking around - there's a yearly christmas light festival thing in my city which was cancelled this year due to THE PLAGUE, and I was kinda bummed about missing it, but your island was like a smaller version of it!! It's super duper great!!!

Yeah, this year sucks. Glad I could share some holiday magic with you!!

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!

HeartArt posted:

Nook’s has blue RC helicopters, Ables is closed now.

Your Winter Wonderland was such a treat, thank you for sharing! It really did feel capture the magic. Smart ideas to use gnomes as elves, and red/green balloons.

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Geodude posted:

Your Winter Wonderland was such a treat, thank you for sharing! It really did feel capture the magic. Smart ideas to use gnomes as elves, and red/green balloons.

You’re very welcome!! :) Thanks for taking the time to visit.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

HeartArt posted:

You’re very welcome!! :) Thanks for taking the time to visit.

It was so magical! Thank you so much!

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Celeste is visiting Mau-Mau. I've got her trapped up on B-2 (where Godzilla is fighting the T. Rex skeleton)

CLOSED

Nooks has pink RC helicopters and turnips for 192 if you hurry in the next twenty minutes.

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 3, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Blaziken386 posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking! How wistful to wander those snowy trails. I took a bunch of screenshots while I was visiting so I'll need to pick out any that came out well later.

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Metaline posted:

It was so magical! Thank you so much!

:) you’re very welcome!

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Chronojam posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking! How wistful to wander those snowy trails. I took a bunch of screenshots while I was visiting so I'll need to pick out any that came out well later.

Would love to see them! :)

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
I've got a meteor shower and Celeste here on Eigg.

Also, Redd is here!

He's got a Mystic Statue (real), Scary Painting (I think real), Moody Painting (I think that's always real) and a fake Jolly Painting.

I don't need anything really, but if you've time traveled already and have some extra holiday DIYs, that'd be great!

Edit: Oh poo poo, it's also Fang's birthday. His house is right next to Redd's beach

Edit 2: There's some free stuff on the beach to the right of the airport. Feel free to take it!

Open at closed

Farten Barfen fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 3, 2020

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Farten Barfen posted:

I've got a meteor shower and Celeste here on Eigg.

Also, Redd is here!

He's got a Mystic Statue (real), Scary Painting (I think real), Moody Painting (I think that's always real) and a fake Jolly Painting.

I don't need anything really, but if you've time traveled already and have some extra holiday DIYs, that'd be great!

Edit: Oh poo poo, it's also Fang's birthday. His house is right next to Redd's beach

Edit 2: There's some free stuff on the beach to the right of the airport. Feel free to take it!

Open at

Omg the Mystic Statue! I'm on my way! Hope it's still there.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Turnips are currently 458 so I'm opening up for a bit.

CLOSED

Nooks also has the brown(?) dinosaur toy.

I'll be around, either making my rounds with villagers or working on something.

Edit: Going AFK but I'll keep the gate open just in case. And thank you to the visitor who gave me a pink Tin robot last night :3:

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 3, 2020

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Gonna open my island up for an hour or two while I go afk. Redd’s visiting with some genuine art and there’s a ton of diys lying around you can help yourself to. Raining + Southern Hemisphere timezone if there’s critters your looking for

E: closed

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 3, 2020

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Thanks - my girlfriends daughter will be heading over as there are some critters she missed!

DraegonX
Mar 19, 2009
Can someone explain how to get a spider? It's the second to last bug I need. The wiki says just to shake a tree after 7PM but I shook a hundred trees and never found one. Does it need to be a specific kind of tree? I'm very confused.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DraegonX posted:

Can someone explain how to get a spider? It's the second to last bug I need. The wiki says just to shake a tree after 7PM but I shook a hundred trees and never found one. Does it need to be a specific kind of tree? I'm very confused.

I don’t know about fruit trees but I’ve seen them in plain maple and cedar trees. There’s no trick to it beyond RNG. Shake all your trees, enter a building to reset spawns, and repeat.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there any reason to have non-fruit trees?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Some Goon posted:

Fruit trees can’t drop furniture/wasps/bells or (in Fall) acorns/Pinecones or have mushrooms grown by them in November.

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Some Goon posted:

They count towards the 23 minimum non-fruit trees needed for the cedars to have christmas lights on them in the winter (NH islands). The mushrooms in November only spawned by hardwood and cedar trees. Those are two reasons to have them. Oh and in the spring, the hardwood, non-cedar trees are the only ones that get cherry blossoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

HeartArt posted:

They count towards the 23 minimum non-fruit trees needed for the cedars to have christmas lights on them in the winter (NH islands). The mushrooms in November only spawned by hardwood and cedar trees. Those are two reasons to have them. Oh and in the spring, the hardwood, non-cedar trees are the only ones that get cherry blossoms.

oh godDAMMIT I have to make room for stupid whore trees