Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

I don't hate all anime. Just 99.99% of it.

the future is now, old man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Chrono Trigger isn’t the perfect RPG.

It’s a game about positioning where you can’t control your party

So is Yakuza 7 and it really is the perfect RPG!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Broken Eurojank>>>>>>>>>>perfect JRPG

literally unfriending you rn

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

veni veni veni posted:

Broken Eurojank>>>>>>>>>>perfect JRPG
I'll take a bunch of Stalker/Metro games over JRPGs, yeah

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/metal-gear-rising-revengence-mural-removed-after-seven-years-2829822?amp

This is now the worst thing this country has ever done.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The sooner the EU takes control of England the better

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The English VA turned out to be yet another dude being gross to fans so taking it down isn’t unalloyed bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

rip to a real one. sorry about your dead country

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah sorry,,, sorry it didn’t die 800 years ago :blastu::jihad:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah sorry,,, sorry it didn’t die 800 years ago :blastu::jihad:

:same: but western civilization

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I have many games to finish before Cyberpunk and I'm working so much I just know I won't

Love having 5 folders with 6 games each sitting there unfinished, taunting me

gently caress I just remembered I bought Streets of Rogue lol. Only played a few runs so far but it's insanely good, especially for the sale price

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Would you disagree with the statement that 99.99% of everything is crap though? Cause it's not like anime is alone there. I hate 99.99% of all science fiction, because holy moly there's just so much of it

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
So is Empire of Sin good or fun or whats the deal there

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

The .01% is Bloodborne

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cryptozoology posted:

So is Empire of Sin good or fun or whats the deal there
IGN said the concept was good but the game was very broken, and gave it a 4

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Love having 5 folders with 6 games each sitting there unfinished, taunting me

come to PS5 where you get no folders at all :grin:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what is eurojank?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

come to PS5 where you get no folders at all :grin:

If I could find one :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

what is eurojank?

the definition is: games released half-finished by CD Projekt Red

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Any 3rd person action/adventure game that is specifically defined by how cumbersome it is to navigate their menus.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Any 3rd person action/adventure game that is specifically defined by how cumbersome it is to navigate their menus.

So Death Stranding

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just the menus

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

haveblue posted:

IIRC the plan is that at launch it will not support next-gen, shortly after launch there will be a bare minimum next-gen upgrade that boosts resolution and frame rate, and some time later there will be a "true" next-gen upgrade that introduces stuff like ray tracing.

Digital copies will download whatever was the latest version at the time of download, if the patch is already live then digital downloads started now should be up to date.

Isn't this the plan for Witcher 3 as well? The actual "next gen" version with Ray Tracing and all that will not be out for some time. But in Witcher and Cyberpunk's case the devs have said it'll be a free upgrade if you own last gen, games like Control and Devil May Cry 5 are doing stuff like "well ok you have to buy the game again but it's cheaper but it has more stuff"

There aren't a huge amount of games to pick up for the next gen anyway so honestly "good games you didn't get around to" sounds just fine

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

abelwingnut posted:

what is eurojank?

an RPG that you’ve just started thats got great writing and theming and art direction and then you start playing and suddenly you’re surrounded by drunk slavs yelling obscenities at you through tin cans and they’re swarming all over you now and you can’t move and poo poo your dead, reload quicksave

Augus fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 3, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The great writing is also debatable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Augus posted:

an RPG that you’ve just started thats got great writing and theming and art direction and then you start playing and suddenly you’re surrounded by drunk slavs yelling obscenities at you through tin cans and they’re swarming all over you now and you can’t move and poo poo your dead, reload quicksave

Eve online?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Signs you're playing a true Eurojank RPG:

- SUBMENUS
- UI has at least 11 different font types
- Bald-headed dude protagonist
- Level 29 elite right outside the starting village
- Laser pistols and wooden clubs on the same drop table
- Impossibly intricate and detailed codex yet opening your inventory crashes to desktop

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

exquisite tea posted:

Signs you're playing a true Eurojank RPG:

- SUBMENUS
- UI has at least 11 different font types
- Bald-headed dude protagonist
- Level 29 elite right outside the starting village
- Laser pistols and wooden clubs on the same drop table
- Impossibly intricate and detailed codex yet opening your inventory crashes to desktop

oh yeah this is Spiders.RTF

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just give people examples.

Like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always thought Devils Third was a European game, but nope, Japan. That dude looks like every single European game tough guy ever. If Gothic Eurojank? I remember that being pretty different, but mostly due to the fact you have everyone in a fantasy rpg getting lit.

Curious, how much of the ps4 library will transfer? Does it matter if you own it physical or on disk?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Just give people examples.

Like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
EYE Divine Cybermancy is the one I remember

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Augus posted:

Also the game doesn't autosave. Ever.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
I've noticed a lot of the eurojank games also have really awkward jump animations. Risen is one of my fav examples of the genre.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

the Paper posted:

I've noticed a lot of the eurojank games also have really awkward jump animations. Risen is one of my fav examples of the genre.
Sometimes I think more games should have awkward jump animations just because jumping is something that almost nobody does regularly irl.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eurojank can’t be quantified, it can’t be reasoned with. It’s not a feature set, it’s a way of life. You can’t fight Eurojank with bullets.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I always thought Devils Third was a European game, but nope, Japan. That dude looks like every single European game tough guy ever. If Gothic Eurojank? I remember that being pretty different, but mostly due to the fact you have everyone in a fantasy rpg getting lit.

Curious, how much of the ps4 library will transfer? Does it matter if you own it physical or on disk?

Gothic is Eurojank made in Germany

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

To PS5? Basically all of it. You obviously need a PS5 with a disk tray if you want to play disk PS4 games

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Jank... jank never changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Janky games are often the games that I get totally absorbed into. You usually have to deal with some bullshit in them, but AAA games are basically defined by removing as much jank as possible and often any personality the game could have had is stripped in the process. When you're streamlining everything so it's accessible to as many people as possible the end result is usually just "I guess that was palatable"

And when I think of jank, I think of outdated or untested concepts, or ideas that aren't streamlined in ways that people are used to. Just poo poo AAA devs wouldn't dare do. I don't love bugs and bad performance (actually sometimes bugs are a lot of fun), those are just frequent side effects of playing games that fall into more niche categories.