Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Beefeater1980 posted:

Wrap it up guys the energy economy is over:

Games Workshop now as valuable as Centrica

finally we know how the UK will survive and prosper from Brexit: through the cunning brutality and brutal cunning of Mork and Gork

e; In 1916 the British government concluded an agreement with Sharif of Mecca Hussein bin Ali whereby he would launch the Great Arab Revolt and, in return, the British would recognize a unified Arab state that emerged, one proposed to extend from Aleppo to Yemen. This agreement was definitely not made with no intention of being honored, and after the war's conclusion the Middle East was definitely not divided up according to the Sykes-Picot Agreement with France instead.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gludel
Nov 6, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

Hopefully this will be the new post-brexit barter economy. Sliding a yoghurt pot of unpainted genestealer arms across my doctor's desk for some antibiotics.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
GW's success has obliged the FT to report on it from time to time and they always do it with ill-concealed irritation that a business selling little plastic space dolls has become one of the runaway investing success stories of the decade.

I wish I'd invested in GW back in 2013.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Our pupils keep having to isolate because they get exposed to covid - and what's worse, this is messing up our attendance targets! :engleft:

BBC News - Ofsted points to total school disruption in some areas

BBC posted:

Education has been "completely disrupted" by the sheer scale of Covid absences in some schools in some areas, Ofsted regional bosses have warned.

The regional directors for North-West England and the West Midlands say the impact of rules around self-isolation has significantly impacted attendance.

They highlight areas where hundreds of pupils are absent and self-isolating at a time, some again and again.

James McNeillie, who oversees West Midlands for Ofsted, meets regularly with groups of head teachers.

He said: "I had one head teacher with schools in Dudley and Sandwell. Across three schools, there were 1,000 pupils self-isolating and 14 members of staff self-isolating.

"And he told me he had dealt with four Covid cases by 10 in the morning.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 3, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

e; In 1916 the British government concluded an agreement with Sharif of Mecca Hussein bin Ali whereby he would launch the Great Arab Revolt and, in return, the British would recognize a unified Arab state that emerged, one proposed to extend from Aleppo to Yemen. This agreement was definitely not made with no intention of being honored, and after the war's conclusion the Middle East was definitely not divided up according to the Sykes-Picot Agreement with France instead.
Sharif don't like it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

To be boring about it, this isn't really true. Centrica has net debt of about £3bn so their actual value is more like £5bn.

Though GW will have jacked their prices up enough to make up this deficit by this time next year.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

GW workshop is also likely mad overvalued by investors because their margins are absolutely eye watering. As basically the only miniature company of any note left, and their proud tradition of suing everyone for any reason, they have effectively zero competition and hence can put a 300% margin on anything and still sell.

In today’s economy, big margins make it very attractive to investors.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i wonder if as 3d printers inevitably get cheaper and easier to use and higher quality over time whether we’ll see an open source replacement eventually take hold.

i mean i know warhammer is popular but in the fullness of time stuffs expensive.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

peanut- posted:

To be boring about it, this isn't really true. Centrica has net debt of about £3bn so their actual value is more like £5bn.

Though GW will have jacked their prices up enough to make up this deficit by this time next year.

And that story is 6 months out of date. Gw stocks are worth close to £100 at the moment, which is £40 more then when that article was written.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

GAW also holds no debt and has paid a rock solid dividend for like a decade and a half, which makes it a nice safe bet for institutional investors like pension funds and index trackers and so on.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I love the idea of pension funds invested in GW.

In the grim darkness of the far future I'm going to buy an annuity

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ms Adequate posted:

No wonder Iraq ended up the way it did. Hussein vs Mecca Hussein was only ever going to have one ending.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mecca Hussein bin Ali is the giant robot that haunts Tony Blair's nightmares.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

quote:

People will not be able to pay to jump the coronavirus inoculation queue for many months, public health officials and companies insisted after the UK regulator became the first in Europe or North America to authorise a Covid-19 vaccine.

“I can say clearly and confidently that there are no plans to supply the private sector for the foreseeable future — no chance at all,” said Ben Osborn, Pfizer UK country manager, after the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency approved the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine on Wednesday.

“Equity is at the heart of our decision to supply only the NHS,” Mr Osborn added.

Health chiefs rule out private sector jumping vaccine queue https://on.ft.com/3qk0cvo

Article goes on to point out that even if private companies want the vaccine they’ll have to join the queue behind all of the countries which have preordered.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

GW workshop is also likely mad overvalued by investors because their margins are absolutely eye watering. As basically the only miniature company of any note left

I mean this is SUPER not true, but those companies are making historicals or other scifi or fantasy stuff. GW has the margins it does because it owns Warhammer and has the trademarks to prove it (hence all the incredibly daft names for poo poo in Age of Sigmar. Can't be an Elf, got be an Aelf Treeshagger or something)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Aelf Treeshagger

Related, important information:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Elves have always been Welsh, everyone knows that :colbert:

We've been playing hobbits as bad Irish in a long running One Ring campaign tbf, but I think that's mainly because I nabbed west country for my Barding

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Elves really should be Welsh because sindarin is basically Welsh anyway.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Beefeater1980 posted:

Brings in more money than the entire UK fishing industry too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can't eat plastic spacemen though, I've tried.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know they licence books and games a lot more than they used to but it always amazes me how profitable the figures continue to be. Who are these adults who have the time, money and space to build and paint armies and landscapes in TYOOL 2020?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

stev posted:

I know they licence books and games a lot more than they used to but it always amazes me how profitable the figures continue to be. Who are these adults who have the time, money and space to build and paint armies and landscapes in TYOOL 2020?

not my thing but also not much different than any other hobby. especially during a pandemic, i’ve seen some great paint jobs being posted places lately

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

stev posted:

Nerdy IT guys who are painting figures all day while they sit on interminable Zoom scrum and sprint meetings with their camera turned off, judging by my friends tbh.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
och aye bajaysis begorrah the noo

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

stev posted:

People have a lot of time this year, more than most years tbh.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Don’t underestimate the number of people with a) extra time on their lives from not commuting or going out in the evenings and b) extra cash from not paying for travel and lunches.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

also less disposable income i imagine from covid pay cuts

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

It's simple, I buy the armies and then never actually build or paint them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

och aye bajaysis begorrah the noo
That's Ulster-Scots according to the American teenager who wrote Scots Wikipedia.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/03/gavin-williamson-britains-a-much-better-country-than-all-of-them

quote:

Gavin Williamson: UK is 'a much better country than all of them'

The education secretary, Gavin Williamson, has claimed the UK was the first country in the world to clinically approve a coronavirus vaccine because the country has “much better” scientists than France, Belgium or the US.

Williamson said he was not surprised the UK was the first to roll out the immunisation because “we’re a much better country than all of them”.

Asked whether Brexit was to credit for the world-first, Williamson told LBC radio station on Thursday: “Well I just reckon we’ve got the very best people in this country and we’ve obviously got the best medical regulators.

“Much better than the French have, much better than the Belgians have, much better than the Americans have. That doesn’t surprise me at all because we’re a much better country than every single one of them, aren’t we.”

Every time they open their loving mouths I get a loss less confident in this vaccine

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Sharif don't like it.

Too early in the morning for rockin' the casbah.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

That's Ulster-Scots according to the American teenager who wrote Scots Wikipedia.

More of coohoolin's shady past uncovered i see :hmmyes:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've been thinking of buying a bunch of GW kit myself tbh, might as well paint some Orks while I have nothing better to do with my time :shrug:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I didn’t even know it was still Games Workshop, the one in Sheffield is just called ‘WARHAMMER’

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

GW were enjoying a bit of a renaissance even before the covids. Mainly because they replaced their old leadership, who held their customers in open contempt, with new leadership who realised it was a good idea to at least pretend not to view people as cash pinatas.

Also they spend a great deal of time and effort actively making GBS threads on a particularly notorious far right warhammer youtuber. Which is fun.

Still a terrible company but a more modern, professional kind of terrible.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm given to understand the vaccine rollout will be world-beating like the track and trace program which is good enough for me

*vaccine vials literally roll out a slot in the factory wall and fall on the floor next to a shopping trolley parked 1 foot to the left*

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

peanut- posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/03/gavin-williamson-britains-a-much-better-country-than-all-of-them

Every time they open their loving mouths I get a loss less confident in this vaccine

Unironic Flanders and Swann posting

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Pistol_Pete posted:

I've been thinking of buying a bunch of GW kit myself tbh, might as well paint some Orks while I have nothing better to do with my time :shrug:

Surely you just need a mirror for to paint a self portrait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

j/k (Just Kidding), i'm not really that rude :)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm given to understand the vaccine rollout will be world-beating like the track and trace program which is good enough for me

*vaccine vials literally roll out a slot in the factory wall and fall on the floor next to a shopping trolley parked 1 foot to the left*

They're all gonna expire stuck in Lorry ques somewhere in Kent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

Same, I've so far resisted but there's a shop in town and I quite fancy painting up a squad of...something. as a kid i had a Delaque gang whose cool trench coats/dusters I decided to paint a kind of dayglo green which I'd quite like to recreate but the last time I checked new Delaque gangers don't have cool dusters but look like cybergoth perverts