Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Another very low blow for me was I was genuinely excited when they got another ship instead of the Falcon and I was like "loving finally!" and then that too was a fakeout.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And lightspeed ramming still works in RoS too.

That part made me laugh Mouth of Madness style in theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Sequel trilogy makes sense when you realize the entire saga is called The Palpatine Saga

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Snowman_McK posted:

does anyone remember when TROS fell apart in their eyes?

The crawl had me nervous, and I realized it was going to be poo poo ten minutes afterward. I remember thinking "i'm watching JJ Abrams' middle film that he didn't get to make on 8x fast forward."

I didn't realize the depths it would sink to from there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t realize it was poo poo until I woke up hungover the next morning and couldn’t remember a single image from the film.

I’ve been drunk and stoned to very high degrees and still could walk away with basic poo poo.

It was a complete blur.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I started shifting uncomfortably in my seat when, within the first 10-15 minutes, they cut to something like 5 or 6 different planets.

“Oh gently caress. Two and a half more hours of this?”

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Yeah.JJ's relentless pacing of 'cool poo poo smash cut' with no real regard to plot, setting or believability just pisses me off, and ROTS was just so full of that. It feels like a Disneyland star tours ride where they have to cram in all the fan favourite characters and moments within 2 minutes before you are booted out for the next in-line.

It's funny that the original Star Wars was both lauded and abhored for it's (then) considered incredibly fast pacing. I guess I'm just the modern old man equivalent of people that had a problem with that.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I do think other than the above traits, JJ is a competent and entertaining director. I just think the Star Wars property is clearly one with one too many cooks dictating what must happen in place of a planned and coherent story.

It's funny. TLJ is clearly an answer to the spoken criticisms of TFA, for better or worse. It's much more evenly paced, has less moments outright duplicated from the old films, and when it does, it often inverts the situation on its head or does something unexpected.

Then, of course ROS is a response to TLJ's criticisms in the most backward rear end way as possible that pleases no one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of older movies, possibly especially westerns, samurai and war movies Star Wars draws from, are quite slow paced and can be hard to watch from a modern perspective because of it, though on examination might be that not a whole lot really happens in them. (though The Magnificent Seven comes to mind, and I think works because seven is a pretty big cast and it gives every member some time in the spotlight)

Star Wars on the other hand has a lot going on, and it's easy to see how an earlier cut might be awful given how much actually does happen in it. It's a very ambitious movie for its time that pulled it off perfectly, something very rare and usually tends to change the game as a result.

Does remind me, you all still needa watch Phineas and Ferb Star Wars.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Snowman_McK posted:

does anyone remember when TROS fell apart in their eyes? For the first half hour or so (I didn't look at my watch, so I'm guessing) it seemed fine, if a little rushed. It was the Chewbacca death fakeout that clearly marks the line between 'an actual film' and 'whatever jumbled notes were left as they jammed scripts together'
Lightspeed skipping.

Since I knew Palpatine was coming back before I saw it the crawl wasn't too bad (THE DEAD SPEAK! is at least memorably cheesy) but smashing through a bunch of interesting settings as a substitute for tension told me exactly what I was going to get.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

does anyone remember when TROS fell apart in their eyes? For the first half hour or so (I didn't look at my watch, so I'm guessing) it seemed fine, if a little rushed. It was the Chewbacca death fakeout that clearly marks the line between 'an actual film' and 'whatever jumbled notes were left as they jammed scripts together'

When they loudly proclaimed they need to find a mcguffin
Epic ending of your trilogy dudes, a bad videogame quest

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

fatherboxx posted:

It's kind of funny how The Mandalorian adopts this formula and does it with just enough skill that it's become the one thing people cling to as proof that Star Wars can still be good.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

The Sequel trilogy makes sense when you realize the entire saga is called The Palpatine Saga

The Sheeve Fucks Saga

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

fatherboxx posted:

And the maguffin is used to solve a mystical puzzle that perfectly lines up with a location we know and have seen before and came about in living memory and makes no sense, other than it resembles something in a Zelda dungeon.

God what a stupid loving movie.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lightspeed skipping.

Since I knew Palpatine was coming back before I saw it the crawl wasn't too bad (THE DEAD SPEAK! is at least memorably cheesy) but smashing through a bunch of interesting settings as a substitute for tension told me exactly what I was going to get.
I didn't realize how bad things were going to get. But that was a pretty major shock straight out of the gate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seems like there's a similar feel I got to Endgame, but even worse; a plot that's thrown together at the last minute out of sticky note scribblings and papered over with the most blatant fanservice they can manage.

In both cases, they didn't have to at all. This is an entertainment juggernaut making movies guaranteed to have ridiculous returns. Though that's the problem- the bigger a movie is, the more it's overmanaged for fear of failure, or to milk more money out if they think it looks promising to the point where it can't possibly really succeed. Producers just can't stop putting their dicks in it for five minutes and let it breathe.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I get the distinct impression that the movie that JJ wanted to make was worse. Like the producers input was to bring back Lando rather than introduce yet another random inconsequential character.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

For me it was right when they get through the lightspeed skipping and get back to base. Poe has this monologue about how they've detected a message that Palpatine has returned and he's got a massive fleet and blah blah blah and it was just the most contrived, artificial exposition scene ever and I just lost faith in the movie right then and there.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

For me it was right when they get through the lightspeed skipping and get back to base. Poe has this monologue about how they've detected a message that Palpatine has returned and he's got a massive fleet and blah blah blah and it was just the most contrived, artificial exposition scene ever and I just lost faith in the movie right then and there.

Isn't there some kind of random ticking clock element that's established during that scene and never brought up again?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's been far too many movies lately that have important context cut from the movie and casually tweeted out weeks later, but I don't think that's encouragement to instead reveal major plot points in a Fortnite event.

Like, you couldn't make that up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

OctoberCountry posted:

Isn't there some kind of random ticking clock element that's established during that scene and never brought up again?

It's like "Palpatine has a huge fleet that's gonna wipe everything out and we only have X days to stop him!!" I guess the idea is that Palpatine basically was broadcasting his plans to the whole galaxy? Who the gently caress knows.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's been far too many movies lately that have important context cut from the movie and casually tweeted out weeks later, but I don't think that's encouragement to instead reveal major plot points in a Fortnite event.

Like, you couldn't make that up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

G-III posted:

I can't even remember what any of the 'new' aliens from the ST look like other than, Maz. The post pointless character in the entire franchise.
They all look like Bigger Maz.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I had the great joy of explaining to a friend who had actually seen the movie (I haven't) that the events referred to in the opening crawl had actually happened in Fortnite.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Snowman_McK posted:

does anyone remember when TROS fell apart in their eyes?

THE DEAD SPEAK!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How do you indoctrinate a planet's population with Sith values? What are Sith values? You murder your dad so you can take his lovely job at the spaceship factory?

Snowman_McK posted:

The pointless Chewbacca death fakeout is a good one. Another one is the whole subplot involving the Sith dagger.

When a movie has to cram a ton of beloved franchise notes and wrap up an epic series in 2.5 hours, stuff that is just a pointless waste of screen time really sticks out.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 3, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

How do you indoctrinate a planet's population with Sith values? What are Sith values? You murder your dad so you can take his lovely job at the spaceship factory?

Clearly we need a prequel trilogy to explain all of these things.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Clearly we need a prequel trilogy to explain all of these things.

A sequel trilogy prequel trilogy? I’d much rather have a prequel trilogy sequel trilogy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

A sequel trilogy prequel trilogy? I’d much rather have a prequel trilogy sequel trilogy.

Technically we did, it’s called Star Wars: Rebels (which I believe ran for exactly three seasons).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Technically we did, it’s called Star Wars: Rebels (which I believe ran for exactly three seasons).

Has four seasons, but the first and last are only 13 episodes long, so from a certain point of view, yes, it's 3 seasons long

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right, there’s also Star Wars: Resistance which I believe takes place just prior to The Force Awakens. It’s not great though and only lasted two seasons.

Come to think of it, did that show even get a proper ending or was it just cancelled prematurely?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 3, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Ah right, there’s also Star Wars: Resistance which I believe takes place just prior to The Force Awakens. It’s not great though and only lasted two seasons.

Come to think of it, did that show even get a proper ending or was it just cancelled prematurely?

Felt like it was cancelled given how none of the Aces got any development, and the orphans from that village Kylo slaughtered never had it followed up on

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Felt like it was cancelled given how none of the Aces got any development, and the orphans from that village Kylo slaughtered never had it followed up on

Lol what? Kylo killed a village full of orphans? That’s the kind of “Did you know?” poo poo that Disney needs to be tweeting out...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah no he didn’t do that. That was lightning...

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lightspeed skipping.

I woke up this morning and remembered this suddenly and came to post that that was actually one of the first real dumb things lol.

I was a little annoyed at the hyperspace ram from TLJ because if you think moderately hard about it, it’s never been established before and probably breaks the established wisdom about how space works in Star Wars (along with the arcing guns, lol). But that could have been explained away with one or two additional lines or whatever, it’s not a dealbreaker. Light speed skipping completely goes against what you saw in the original movies about specifically how the Falcon can’t just take a chance without waiting to calculate the jump, and they explicitly tossed that out the window for a meaningless reason. Something that existed to give the originals more tension and a semblance of realism getting tossed outright to make a sequence that doesn’t really need to exist in the movie is kinda dumb. If they’d done it like one time and it was a huge risk, that’d be different.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Larryb posted:

How is Rebels story/character wise compared to Clone Wars? We binge watched CW last year and then the final season this year but couldn't get into the art style of Rebels for some reason.

Rob Rockley posted:

Light speed skipping completely goes against what you saw in the original movies about specifically how the Falcon can’t just take a chance without waiting to calculate the jump, and they explicitly tossed that out the window for a meaningless reason. Something that existed to give the originals more tension and a semblance of realism getting tossed outright to make a sequence that doesn’t really need to exist in the movie is kinda dumb. If they’d done it like one time and it was a huge risk, that’d be different.

Well you see Navi Computer technology made leaps and bounds in the 30 years since the OT and furthermore...

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 3, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

jisforjosh posted:

How is Rebels story/character wise compared to Clone Wars? We binge watched CW last year and then the final season this year but couldn't get into the art style of Rebels for some reason.

Up and down, but when it's good it's as good as Clone Wars was. There are some really effective and memorable moments, and just like Clone Wars it does manage to create and make you care about a bunch of new characters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Up and down, but when it's good it's as good as Clone Wars was. There are some really effective and memorable moments, and just like Clone Wars it does manage to create and make you care about a bunch of new characters.

I’m also impressed they managed to get some major guest stars like Frank Oz and Billy Dee Williams to cameo in an episode or two.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

jisforjosh posted:

Clone Wars is the better show overall, but when Rebels is good it hits way higher highs than Clone Wars ever did. It's why I prefer Rebels, because some of its story arcs offer up the best of what Star Wars has to offer when it comes to genuinely affecting storytelling.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

jisforjosh posted:

Rebels is more family-focused, both literally and figuratively, although it doesn't shy away from darker aspects towards the end of season 2, and 3/4 are both steps up in quality, similar to TCW

Characters are well-fleshed out, although it takes until season 3 for Sabine to get anything, but it's one of the better character arcs

After season 3 Ezra kinda stops being relevant which is fine

Zeb gets maybe two episodes out of the entire series, but has the best music track in the series

Chopper is an HK unit trapped in a garbage can

Hera and Kanan are mom and dad respectively and are a lot of fun in their roles taking care of their crazy kids

Seriously, just take a week or two to watch Rebels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Something you should know about Rebels, going in, is that the hero never gets a good costume.