Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Eurojank is one of those things that's hard to quantify or describe, but you know it when you see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Outward is pretty drat hanky but that is a Canadian game that I probably sunk way too much time into.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

Outward is pretty drat hanky but that is a Canadian game that I probably sunk way too much time into.

I bought that after my cousin asked for a copy last Christmas because it seemed interesting, I need to actually try it at some point..

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
STALKER is the perfect example of Eurojank.

You put it up against any big AAA FPS game and all the things it does differently are what make it eurojank. It has a tremendous difficulty curve, an engine completely of its own that does things differently to other FPS of the time, it has wild and incredible bugs that are part of the experience rather than annoyances, it is allowed to be this way due to not being part of the big western triple A studio system.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Eurojank is often like, 4th wall breaking poo poo where the jank itself becomes a whole new problem to solve that is more engaging than the actual intended gameplay. Eurojank is accidentally throwing your gun off a cliff because the menus are bad and then spending 30 minutes trying to break every system in the game to get it back and then it actually works and you feel like you just beat a really hard dark souls boss.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Operation Flashpoint sounds like the poster child for euro jank, lol.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Operation Flashpoint sounds like the poster child for euro jank, lol.

holy flip I haven't thought of that game in years

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

holy flip I haven't thought of that game in years

Oops, you got out of a car moving slightly fast and now your legs are broken.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Europeans love games where you can inflict limb damage on yourself. They simply crave being able to watch their legs turn from green, to orange, and then red and then eating cured sausage to fix it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

My legs are ok.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Just opened the PS app for the first time in months, and wow, they massively improved it. Finally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Signs you're playing a true Eurojank RPG:

- SUBMENUS
- UI has at least 11 different font types
- Bald-headed dude protagonist
- Level 29 elite right outside the starting village
- Laser pistols and wooden clubs on the same drop table
- Impossibly intricate and detailed codex yet opening your inventory crashes to desktop

I finished both Risen 3 and Elex this year

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Eurojank is when at the end of the game characters talk directly to the player

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have a personal theory that Witcher 3 is only as good as it is because it started off in Eurojank territory and got enough of a budget to be good, but still different enough from "Generic AAA" and I think Cyberpunk will cross the line into generic AAA and be less good. I cannot explain any of this but think about it hard enough and know it to be true

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

The great writing is also debatable.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Eurojank can’t be quantified, it can’t be reasoned with. It’s not a feature set, it’s a way of life. You can’t fight Eurojank with bullets.

Listen, and understand. That Eurojank is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Got me thinking again about how much I love STALKER and how it is one of the few games to cause me severe panic and how amazing that moment was. Seared into my brain :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Got me thinking again about how much I love STALKER and how it is one of the few games to cause me severe panic and how amazing that moment was. Seared into my brain :)

It’s one of my top 5 games ever. I love how bleak it is but also so fun. Stalker is also one of my favourite films ever, I wrote my undergrad thesis on the sound in it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Janky games are often the games that I get totally absorbed into. You usually have to deal with some bullshit in them, but AAA games are basically defined by removing as much jank as possible and often any personality the game could have had is stripped in the process. When you're streamlining everything so it's accessible to as many people as possible the end result is usually just "I guess that was palatable"

And when I think of jank, I think of outdated or untested concepts, or ideas that aren't streamlined in ways that people are used to. Just poo poo AAA devs wouldn't dare do. I don't love bugs and bad performance (actually sometimes bugs are a lot of fun), those are just frequent side effects of playing games that fall into more niche categories.

I'll take nipponojank instead thankyouverymuch

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

It’s one of my top 5 games ever. I love how bleak it is but also so fun. Stalker is also one of my favourite films ever, I wrote my undergrad thesis on the sound in it.

It is my 20th favourite game ever :D I adore everything about it and have only played it once. (I used the complete patch) I sometimes think about giving it another try but I am not sure I could capture that magic again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of janky RPGs, I see that Fallout 76 has another new expansion? Is it still poo poo?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I tried to play STALKER twice and both times I had literally no idea what to do basically from the beginning.

Then a couple of years later I saw that some newer STALKER game was on sale so I bought it but it turned out to be an expansion for a game I didn't have which wasn't clear at all! Even the store listings are eurojanky.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of janky RPGs, I see that Fallout 76 has another new expansion? Is it still poo poo?

Fallout 76 is a J-RPG?? :eyepop:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There's a free standalone mod version of Stalker now along with an open-source version of the X-Ray engine that actually runs decent on modern systems. Kinda makes it more of an open world survival thing.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

I tried to play STALKER twice and both times I had literally no idea what to do basically from the beginning.

Reach the centre of the zone and grant all your wishes!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Fallout 76 is a J-RPG?? :eyepop:

-Terrible dialogue
-Boring, repetitive quests
-Technically incompetent
-1000 hours too long

checks out!!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
There are two sequels to STALKER. Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat are both fully standalone and do not require the first. If there is some DLC, please tell me the name because yes I would give that a go!! :D

Also thinking I might Dark Souls tonight. I feel exhausted so maybe some thrilling brutal club dancing could get me jiving.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

-Terrible dialogue
-Boring, repetitive quests
-Technically incompetent
-1000 hours too long

checks out!!!

<:mad:>

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Eurojank and Ameritrash. Take your pick.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Gothic is Eurojank made in Germany

Last time I checked, Germany is part of europe.

EYE Divine Cybermancy is a perfect example of eurojank, but the good one.

Blade of Darkness (or Severance: Blade of Darkness) is a spanish game with some jank but also the father of the souls series.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Guillermus posted:

Last time I checked, Germany is part of europe.

It's the normal part of Europe, though, which makes it harder to achieve the jank.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

goblin week posted:

It's the normal part of Europe, though, which makes it harder to achieve the jank.

east or west german though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

goblin week posted:

Piranha Bytes games were what the term was coined for

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'll take nipponojank instead thankyouverymuch

Japank is my favorite kind of jank.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I don't often feel misled by goons but playing EYE was an absolute waste of time.

There are games that are unique, weird, and enjoyable to play. EYE was only two of those.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

I always thought Devils Third was a European game, but nope, Japan. That dude looks like every single European game tough guy ever. If Gothic Eurojank? I remember that being pretty different, but mostly due to the fact you have everyone in a fantasy rpg getting lit.

Curious, how much of the ps4 library will transfer? Does it matter if you own it physical or on disk?

The PS5 will play most* PS4 games without issue. From what's been said by Sony and in general, it's mostly a problem of getting caught short by any game dev who did Weird Coding Tricks assuming a PS4's specs when making individual games, rather than a diceroll of games in general making GBS threads the bed the moment they start. The only thing that flat-out won't work are game demos and apps.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

shut up blegum posted:

Just opened the PS app for the first time in months, and wow, they massively improved it. Finally.

I wonder if they intentionally made the update a few month ago as bad as possible so the current version will seem “improved” when it’s still worse than last years app in every conceivable way.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The app is good. The website is a travesty

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The website is even worse, but the app looks real pretty but has problems like it runs way slower, harder to navigate, and icons not having titles, just the thumbnail. It’s REAL FUN trying to shop for dlc when you have nothing but the thumbnail image to go off

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hi, I apologize if these questions have already been addressed but this thread moves too quickly for my febrile old mind and I unsubscribed a while ago.

My old Playstation Gold wireless headset died a while back. Is it worth getting one again or has something better come out since then? I'd also like for it to be compatible with the PS5 whenever I am able to get my hands on one (lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have never gamed with headphones before but the PS5 pulse headset is very comfortable and the sound quality has been really good.