Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

The beta patch is probably going to churn a bit and get some fun additions. Like being able to teleport the HQ.

I would really like that but is there much reason to expect it? They've said maybe for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Be very careful about where you jump the HQ to and if he warns you something is nearby you should heed it:

My Teladi Rep went from 27 to -14

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait they actually added HQ relocation??

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's part of the 4.0 patch (currently in beta)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh yeah apparently I just didn't see it in the notes.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You should get a quick quest for it shortly after loading a save.

Edit: Did they lower the requirement for Autotrader to 3 stars or was it always 3 and I didn't realize I had a pilot that could do it?

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 18, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Been 3 for as long as I can remember.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

RE performance, a huge increase if you are GPU limited is by using mods that remove rendering of asteroids at a certain distance, and remove fog.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

quote:

During the public beta of the 4.00 update, which starts today, you will still be able to log into the game with your forum username in the usual way. However, when the finished 4.00 update is publicly released in the first quarter of 2021, it will become mandatory to login using your e-mail address.

Please note that those who use modified clients to play X4: Foundations will no longer have access to their online account in-game.

The reason for these changes is related to a major update to the X4: Foundations online gameplay planned for the near future. Before our plans can be implemented, these preparatory steps are unfortunately necessary. More information about these changes will be made available when the 4.00 update and the X4: Cradle of Humanity expansion are released, if not before.

Sounds like indirect invasions to me, or maybe some sort of weird economy-trading thing.

quote:

Improved Kha'ak presence and behaviour.
Hoping this means we'll see an end to the 'invulnerable khaak honeypots' problem....

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 18, 2020

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Taerkar posted:

You should get a quick quest for it shortly after loading a save.

Edit: Did they lower the requirement for Autotrader to 3 stars or was it always 3 and I didn't realize I had a pilot that could do it?
Unless I'm completely misremembering it used to go Distribute Wares>Sector Trader>Auto Trader and they cut out the middle step.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I don't understand what possessed Egosoft to put so much effort into some online features that only work in vanilla game. Who plays X games unmodded?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Most players do, in fact. I think the play-by-mail type of asynchronous multiplayer they are building is actually pretty interesting.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

quote:

[Beta 2] Fixed NPC pilots sometimes sitting on player's lap.

:(

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Space is a lonely, lonely place.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

they more sat in the players lap like I get being close but I fully expect the inside of my body to be clearly marked personal space that no one will ever violate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

New DLC ship pictures.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That's nice. I think they're sitting just on the right ride of 'detailed, but not too busy looking'.

Now I just need 2021 to let me put together the components to actually play this thing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I wish more ships in the X universe looked like they weren't designed in an air-tunnel to be streamlined. :sigh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For some of them it makes sense if they were to be transatmospheric ships, and it also makes sense from an armour perspective because sloped armour works better, also it allows ships to have a reduced profile in fights.

Plus I think the paranid just like doing it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

For some of them it makes sense if they were to be transatmospheric ships, and it also makes sense from an armour perspective because sloped armour works better, also it allows ships to have a reduced profile in fights.

Yes, but wedge shapes are so ubiquitous in spaceship design for every visual medium, it'd be nice if at least some representations acknowledged that designs don't have to look like they can fly through an atmosphere when they aren't ever shown to do so.

Red Dwarf is one of the only times I know of where it's explicitly addressed, and there it's used to make fun of others for being so stereotypical.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

OwlFancier posted:

Aren't a lot of the ships meant to enter atmosphere? Some of the gates only seem to be a few thousands miles above planets atmospheres.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Most space games operate on a naval warfare metaphor and that extends to ship designs. It just works very well since audiences expect them to look that way.

Helium Rain did the realism thing in a somewhat similar genre as X4 and it's not nearly as interesting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Most space games operate on a naval warfare metaphor and that extends to ship designs. It just works very well since audiences expect them to look that way.

Helium Rain did the realism thing in a somewhat similar genre as X4 and it's not nearly as interesting.
Naval warfare is decidedly two-dimentional, though.
Shivans in FreeSpace 2 had ships that weren't very aerodynamic, either.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ship designs need to come from your technobabble, specifically micrometeorites and combat doctrine. If your setting doesn't have good shield tech or radical combat doctrines you're stuck with spheres and dongs, or wedges which are dongs with edges. Radical combat doctrine is really hard to do with player pilots too since we're all expecting either plane or boat battles and it's wedges and tubes all the way down, or else your ship gets maligned for being unbalanced because it's a big target.

I haven't had the heart to try Avorion for that reason (encouraged to do spheres and dongs when you get to build your own ships)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Avorion is fun. I dunno what you mean about encouraged tho. You can build in whatever way you want and it’s not really a problem so long as you’ve got enough shields and hull for your progression

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Naval warfare is decidedly two-dimentional, though.

So are most space games, X4 included. You'll find most stations along the ecliptic and most AI ships will travel along the ecliptic as a result. The only ships that actually meaningfully use that additional dimension are the fighters that come from the WW2-era naval metaphor and do appropriately WW2-fightery things.

I honestly don't think this is bad. It's cliche, but that's because it works so well that everyone does it. The exceptions are really rare.

zedprime posted:

If your setting doesn't have good shield tech or radical combat doctrines you're stuck with spheres and dongs, or wedges which are dongs with edges.

quote:

Eventually, though, Ulver had said her farewells, [...] and was taken to the Forward Docks and a big, brightly lit hangar, where the Psychopath Class ex-Rapid Offensive Unit Frank Exchange of Views was waiting for her.

Ulver laughed. ‘It looks,’ she snorted, ‘like a dildo!’

‘That’s appropriate,’ Churt Lyne said. ‘Armed, it can gently caress solar systems.’

:v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rhjamiz posted:

Avorion is fun. I dunno what you mean about encouraged tho. You can build in whatever way you want and it’s not really a problem so long as you’ve got enough shields and hull for your progression
I didn't mean it was Avorions problem, it's definitely my problem. But the maximized design of a space ship is whatever can present the least profile while bring fire on target, because avoidance is the most damage reducing out of shield or armor or just avoiding shots coming your way. Spheres are the least profile for anything that can't track toward threats, otherwise a dong that can point itself in the safest direction is best.

You can get into radical combat doctrine here if you get creative in your setting. Ex. Your weapons have not been able to keep up with your armor material science and you can't physically put enough weapons in the head of your dong to make a scratch. Solution? Rapidly spinning dong with weapons pointing outward on the shaft. It is phased so as to probably be presenting your least profile as much as possible while your shaft weapons fire phased in a way to bring extra power on target. Your rotation phasing or axis of rotation let's you control your net weapon output with your net profile.

I don't especially want to fly that in a space game but it sounds cool.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As long as you are looking at a 2 dimensional screen it is easier to do strategy in 2D if there are no compelling reasons to invoke a 3rd dimension.

e: not to say you can't have a 3d environment obviously, but that the important player decisions can almost always take place on a 2d plane in that environment.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

So are most space games, X4 included. You'll find most stations along the ecliptic and most AI ships will travel along the ecliptic as a result.
Yes, and I really really dislike this - because things are too closely aligned to the ecliptic, even for X4s distance scales - to the point that the ship auto-corrects to it, unless you turn that option off.
Things are supposed to happen in three dimensions. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Avorion is quite good but my main issue is I don't have the patience to build ships. Functionally though it's basically procgen X3.

The other thing with X games is ships need to fit through gates which was particularly an issue towards the end of X3's lifespan, so they generallly have to be dong shaped for that reason because otherwise they won't fit through the gates.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

It could just be an esthetic thing. Not every car on the road is perfectly aerodynamic. I say this as someone who really likes blocky ship design and makes ships for games professionally. It is the nittiest of nit picks.

There is a grognard consideration for this too. Rounded shapes are more material efficient. A sphere has the lowest possible surface area to volume ratio. Everytime (just about) you round off a corner you save more surface area (ie save on material) than you lose in internal volume.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do like the X3 teladi designs of the flying brick variety but I also like the flying mushrooms.

E: also rounded shapes may be more material efficient but there is a reason we don't build round buildings, cos it's easier to stack things in squares, and also fabricating square parts is easier than having to make whole new arc panels for every possible size of round thing.

I like to imagine there is a gigantic teladi space lathe spinning the front parts of their ships.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 3, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

X3 Teladi designs remind me of Vogon constructor fleets, which is always a positive.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

I do like the X3 teladi designs of the flying brick variety but I also like the flying mushrooms.

E: also rounded shapes may be more material efficient but there is a reason we don't build round buildings, cos it's easier to stack things in squares, and also fabricating square parts is easier than having to make whole new arc panels for every possible size of round thing.

I like to imagine there is a gigantic teladi space lathe spinning the front parts of their ships.
We build round buildings when the alternatives are worse. Pressure vessels, of which space ships are an example, can be built round for material science reasons of flush joints withstanding pressure gradients better than angled joints.

Sphere is an extreme example here. Boxy is worst. Cylindrical with elliptic heads are better (most pressure vessels from your water heater to an ISS module land here). Spherical only if you absolutely gotta guarantee no weak points.

By the way if it isn't clear all my posts today aren't really bad talking the new designs one way or another, just chewing the fat about sci fi (although I'm ruining myself for Shipbreaker because it's making me think about why are all the internal pressure hulls boxes?! Space capitalism I guess)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

True, but then you run into wasted space because the stuff you're putting in your space tube isn't tube shaped, so you need to square off the interior anyway.

I do think that given the massive in-space resource extraction systems in X there's a reasonable argument that material efficiency isn't necessarily a problem and ease of processing and construction is more important. There's a lot more resources than there are factories, that's sort of the point of the series :v:. So it makes sense that they wouldn't really be too bothered about ultra efficient production when they can just slap another thousand tonnes of teladianium on it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Would making something a perfect sphere in 0g actually be difficult though? Couldn't you I dunno liquify the hull material and blow it like glass? I'm sure there's something wrong with this but I'm loving the mental image of someone using their lungs to craft a ship hull.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fabricating weird shapes in zero g would probably be easier yeah, as would fabricating big things because the only forces on them are ones you put there. But fabricating single huge pieces of material runs into issues of consistency right across them.

I suppose given that you're operating in a vacuum and zero G you would be able to make solid spheres of material very easily because surface tension would pull them spherical and they would hold heat extremely well and so be easy to melt. Downside is it would take a very long time to cool them down again afterwards.

If you could impart specific amounts of spin you might be able to make discs or oblate spheroids quite easily too.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

If they have super duper scifi 3d printers or whatever in their factories ease of manufacturing wouldn't be an issue either.

As long as people aren't trying the 'every ship would be un unpainted boring rear end brick because there is no air and you're gonna be too far away to see a paint job' I'm willing yo hear out any line of reasoning.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

People say stuff like that but let’s be extremely honest; people are weird and will absolutely get weird with ship design given the freedom to do so. Even in an extremely realistic or real-to-life sci fi setting, people would still paint and customize their ships even if no one could ever see them. We are too expressive as a species to all decide grey boxes are best. It would never happen.

Edit; basically the instant form can exist without the overriding needs of function, people will start to apply their personal aesthetic to spaceship design.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I too wish to paint my entire fleet pink with animes all over them.