Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

2.5 stars is the worst rating I can give because it means it was completely average and mostly forgettable. Can't give a real 0 so .5 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen but that means I certainly won't forget it. And 5 is a movie I loved watching and will never forget which can range from No Country For Old Men to Cats.

I'm not gonna pretend my scale is anything more than on a whim bullshit but I do find myself going back a day or two later to a movie I just rated after seeing and adjusting by +/- .5 as I always over/underrate in the immediate aftermath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

4 stars seems to be where I tend to settle, but I feel I have a very healthy ratings distribution.

It makes sense for your average rating to be ~4 stars, assuming you are mostly watching films that interest you and that you expect to enjoy. My graph is similar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You gotta recalibrate your scale every so often, so between watching your favorite films of the year it's good to sneak in a Movie 43, or Airplane Mode - the Logan Paul movie.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
That's partly why I watched Verotika the other day

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

My secret to rating movies is this: Just vibe it.

Vibe it. Does this movie feel like a 3? A 4? Is it a full blown 5? Maybe that extra half star is meaningful. Just roll with it. Vibe. It's all meaningless.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

That's partly why I watched Verotika the other day

That movie is a 5 though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I got in trouble when a friend looked at my letterboxd scores recently. At one point I'd ranked all the Universal horror movies against each other rather than against all other movies, and it meant that many were artificially lower than they should've been. I lost cred, sadly. But immediately made it up by recommending he watch The Visitor.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TrixRabbi posted:

My secret to rating movies is this: Just vibe it.

Vibe it. Does this movie feel like a 3? A 4? Is it a full blown 5? Maybe that extra half star is meaningful. Just roll with it. Vibe. It's all meaningless.

Yeah, I don't even bother trying evaluate the rating in an objective measure. I just put in a rating based on a gut feeling.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

feedmyleg posted:

I got in trouble when a friend looked at my letterboxd scores recently. At one point I'd ranked all the Universal horror movies against each other rather than against all other movies, and it meant that many were artificially lower than they should've been. I lost cred, sadly. But immediately made it up by recommending he watch The Visitor.

You're doing it correctly. The rating should be relative on a subjective basis reimagined for each film. Movies have too many different goals/experiences to be judged against the entire pool every time.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

This is my curve - I only have about a quarter of the things I have marked as watched rated:

I have a general idea of what a 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, and 5 are and everything below that is basically how far below the bar for a 3 would be.

More important for me is the like vs. not liked - I think it's silly to assign a numerical rating to something like The Greasy Strangler, but that's a like in my book.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Once again reminding myself I'm basic as hell.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

STAC Goat posted:

beautiful. this is what all ratings strive to be, perfectly distributed.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

STAC Goat posted:

:420: :420: :420:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1332664476248674305?s=19

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

that song were america!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Looking at my map, and noticing a distinct lack of African film on it, I think a fun little challenge to do would be to fill out the entire world map here. With at least one movie watched from every country. It also can't be a movie that was simply cofunded by the country it happened to be shot in. For instance, in Morocco I have The Mummy (1999) which feels rather odd to me to count that. I haven't looked in every country yet, so if there's any where I just don't have a choice that will be the exception.

Feel free to hit me with recommendations. I'm thinking of touring South America first, and Embrace of the Serpent from Honduras sounds right up my alley.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Do you count Tunisia because the Tatooine parts of Star Wars was filmed there?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Roth posted:

Feel free to hit me with recommendations. I'm thinking of touring South America first, and Embrace of the Serpent from Honduras sounds right up my alley.

If you like ultra low budget action films, Who Killed Captain Alex? and/or Bad Black will fill up your Uganda slot.

I've never seen it, but Senegal's Touki Bouki has a good reputation.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roth posted:

Looking at my map, and noticing a distinct lack of African film on it, I think a fun little challenge to do would be to fill out the entire world map here. With at least one movie watched from every country. It also can't be a movie that was simply cofunded by the country it happened to be shot in. For instance, in Morocco I have The Mummy (1999) which feels rather odd to me to count that. I haven't looked in every country yet, so if there's any where I just don't have a choice that will be the exception.

I remember enjoying Tsotsi in my world cinema course.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here's a fun one from the Niger.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The trouble with filling out the map for a lot of the countries in Africa is that a lot of them don't have well developed film industries. Finding a movie made in South Africa is easy, finding one made in the Western Sahara for example is not so easy.

For a few countries I opted for documentary pieces that were shot there and can pretty easily be called, for example, an Ivorian movie. For Ivory Coast I went for Woubi Cheri which is good and should be on Kanopy, for Benin I watched Divine Carcasse -- which sets up this odd genre of movie called "ethnofiction" that I need to check out more. There was this French guy called Jean Rouch who went around making these "ethnofictions", blending documentary and fictional film to explore ethnographic ideas, I believe mostly in Africa. I have a few of his movies in my backlog but haven't seen yet.

For Western Sahara I downloaded a documentary about their war, a Brazilian documentary strangely, called A Thread of Hope: Independence or War in Western Sahara. You can find it on youtube for free, and I think it's going to be the easiest way of digesting a decent movie from the Western Sahara (iirc).
That brings up a separate issue where the most prominent and easy to find movies for some African countries are also about horrific brutal wars that took place there, and may be hard to sit through back to back. For the Democratic Republic of the Congo I'm planning on watching La Vie est Belle, the other options I saw were again, mainly documentaries on the horrific Congo war(s).

Anyway here are also just some other movies I saw that were pretty decent and worth watching:
Ghana: https://letterboxd.com/film/keteke/
Chad: https://letterboxd.com/film/our-father/details/
Mauritania: https://letterboxd.com/film/waiting-for-happiness/

And then some I'm excited about seeing:
Cameroon: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartier_Mozart
Niger: https://letterboxd.com/film/rain-the-color-of-blue-with-a-little-red-in-it/details/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some of Roger Deakins's first work was shooting documentaries in Africa, so there are a few of those you can check out, if documentaries count. Assuming you can find them. I don't know if they're easy to locate.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

A few more recs for Africa

Moolaade gets you Burkina Faso, Senegal & Tunisia
Rubber for Angola
Samsara for Namibia, Kenya, Egypt, & Ethiopia
Disney's Chimpanzee for Tanzania
The Gods Must Be Crazy for Botswana
Battle of Algiers for Algeria

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I posted in here about this before, but I love letterboxd...I just can’t figure how to streamline ratings.

I don’t want to review them, I just want a continuous stream of movies to rate.

Am I a moron and this is obvious? Why can’t I figure this out if it is

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I replied before but you might not have seen. Essentially, not really sure what you're looking for!

EL BROMANCE posted:

What do you mean by ‘next movie’? How will it know what you’re watching next?

If you’re working in a list you can do these things via a little popover that gives you some basic controls for rating.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

You can also use the Browse options on the Films page to bring up big lists of movies, then hover over the movie to do a quick rating. For example, these are the movies that came out in 2020 and these are movies with a lot of activity this week.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Doesn’t even need to be a proper list, you can just browse by popularly, rating, year, genre, etc and you can scroll through the movies endlessly

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I feel like an idiot thank you

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

EL BROMANCE posted:

I replied before but you might not have seen. Essentially, not really sure what you're looking for!

There was a website a few years ago that did this and gave you recommendations off of it. No idea what it was called. Just movie poster after movie poster and I think you either gave it thumbs up or down - or maybe it was star ratings, tough to say. I'm guessing that's what they're looking for it.

e: Thinking about it, I can remember doing this with a specific person so that probably puts it around 2010/11. I don't know how or why anyone would remember this other than I'm almost positive I discovered it here.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Not Africa, but here's one from Kyrgyzstan: https://letterboxd.com/film/white-mountains/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I started up my world tour project with The Golden Dream from Guatemala

https://letterboxd.com/throwaway_name/list/world-tour/

I think my biggest problem is that the subtitles on prime video would sometimes get out of sync, but it's a good way to spend an hour and forty minutes if you want a heavy movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've finally updated my complete TSPDT list for 2020 (just in time to have to redo it again in a couple months): “They Shoot Pictures, Don’t They?” – The Complete List (Every Film From Every Edition)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've finally updated my complete TSPDT list for 2020 (just in time to have to redo it again in a couple months): “They Shoot Pictures, Don’t They?” – The Complete List (Every Film From Every Edition)

I just need to see A Man Escaped to finish the top 100. I should try to do that soon.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Zogo posted:

I just need to see A Man Escaped to finish the top 100. I should try to do that soon.

It's drat good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I noticed a challenge on letterboxed for the Criterion Challenge so I figured I'd attempt it as well

https://letterboxd.com/throwaway_name/list/the-criterion-challenge-2021/

Haven't seen any of these but Godzilla vs Hedorah

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Roth posted:

I noticed a challenge on letterboxed for the Criterion Challenge so I figured I'd attempt it as well

https://letterboxd.com/throwaway_name/list/the-criterion-challenge-2021/

Haven't seen any of these but Godzilla vs Hedorah

This is pretty cool. I may give it a go. I wonder how well I can overlap it with the They Shoot Pictures list, since that's my main focus.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Final stats for me in 2020
https://letterboxd.com/throwaway_name/year/2020/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Here's mine
https://letterboxd.com/machetez/year/2020/

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

hoppin on this choo choo

https://letterboxd.com/piratejerk/year/2020/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Banger of a first movie