Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Will it work on a PS4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Platinum’d 13 Sentinels last night. Top 5 game on the system, no doubt.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fromsoft games are eurojank, even if they are Japanese.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PS3 Demon's Souls is a Japanese interpretation of EuroJank for sure

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Quantum of Phallus posted:

PS3 Demon's Souls is a Japanese interpretation of EuroJank for sure

Demon’s Souls is just a polished up version of EverGrace, and that was just third person King’s Field.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Every FromSoft RPG until, like, maybe Dark Souls 1 is janky as hell. You ever try to play like EverGrace or Eternal Ring?

Armored Core is kind of intentionally janky given the mechanized nature of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DS1 & 2 are also janky as hell and I could make an argument for all of them

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Spiders is a eurojank studio or developer or whatever. They make frustratingly interesting games.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

come to PS5 where you get no folders at all :grin:

Everything I hear about the PS5 lately makes me not want one. 1 step forward 2 steps back

veni veni veni posted:

Fromsoft games are eurojank, even if they are Japanese.

When are we just going to admit they're not good at making mechanisms in games but have good aesthetics? Like, maybe have them be the design team but have someone else do the coding, because they're just not good enough at it.

Like Gothic developers. Risen, Elex, etc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Never because it's not true

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I was all hyped about finally being able to play Demon’s Souls until I realized that 1. they changed almost nothing from the original and 2. I’ve spent the last decade burning out on Soulsborne games.

So uh, yeah, I can wait.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When are we just going to admit they're not good at making mechanisms in games but have good aesthetics? Like, maybe have them be the design team but have someone else do the coding, because they're just not good enough at it.

do you really think it is a good idea for a company that has found success through the unique and focused vision of its games to lay off everyone but their artists and outsource the entirety of the development process

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Never? Mechanically they're very good (usually).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Never because it's not true

I think a lot of that stuff could accurately be described as jank, but is also the perfect example of how jank isn't always bad or at least part of the charm. Like, if you look at Dark Souls and Bloodborne menus it's the farthest thing from streamlined, but if they were replaced with something more akin to AAA game menus most people would hate it. So there is no reason to streamline it. The obtuse mission design in their games is janky, but it's something people love and wouldn't want to see changed. Falling off a cliff in ankle deep water because there is a pit in the middle is janky, but it's funny and part of the charm etc. etc.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bees x1000 posted:

I was all hyped about finally being able to play Demon’s Souls until I realized that 1. they changed almost nothing from the original and 2. I’ve spent the last decade burning out on Soulsborne games.

So uh, yeah, I can wait.

Demon’s was the first Souls game I played and the last one I finished. I love it but it’s a lot more of a slog than the newer ones.

And on a related note that’s why the PS5’s near lack of loading times really comes in handy. Bullshit death, don’t feel like going back right now? No worries, you’ve quit to menu and switched to Bugsnax in about 30 seconds, time to go chase down a Bunger.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only janky thing in from games is the camera, and the fact that sometimes they integrate that into fights so a big part of the challenge is that you can't see what's happening is one of their biggest failings

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Everything I hear about the PS5 lately makes me not want one. 1 step forward 2 steps back

Like Gothic developers. Risen, Elex, etc

So have you played Sekiro?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

haveblue posted:

The only janky thing in from games is the camera,

well that and the teleporting dogs

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dogs can naturally teleport, if you have the eyes to see...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The PS5 will play most* PS4 games without issue. From what's been said by Sony and in general, it's mostly a problem of getting caught short by any game dev who did Weird Coding Tricks assuming a PS4's specs when making individual games, rather than a diceroll of games in general making GBS threads the bed the moment they start. The only thing that flat-out won't work are game demos and apps.

Okay, other than getting a disk system, I can pretty much go straight from ps4 to ps5.

I'd think some of the bigger games won't have those weird coding tricks.

Because I am pretty sure cyberpunk would melt my computer and probably make my ps4 fan spin faster than the speed of light, I think I might treat myself with Yakuza like a dragon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Weird Coding Tricks aren't fully predictable, they try to get the compatibility layer close enough but the only way to be sure is to have someone play all the games for a while and see if any problems happen. Which is why it took them so long to fully commit to BC after bringing it up as a possibility.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i see assassin's creed odyssey is on sale for $15. the only assassin's creed game i have played is black flag, which i did not like very much, but i have heard odyssey compared many times to the witcher 3, which i loved. should i take a chance on odyssey, and is it worth paying the extra $10 for the edition with the dlc?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

i see assassin's creed odyssey is on sale for $15. the only assassin's creed game i have played is black flag, which i did not like very much, but i have heard odyssey compared many times to the witcher 3, which i loved. should i take a chance on odyssey, and is it worth paying the extra $10 for the edition with the dlc?

I am also wondering this. I love Greek mythology

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

I have never gamed with headphones before but the PS5 pulse headset is very comfortable and the sound quality has been really good.

Hmm, maybe I'll pick one up. I've got so much electrical tape holding my Pulse Elite together that it might be time. I wonder what the Pulse 3D headset will look like when I eventually have to put black electrical tape all over it. :hmmno:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

welp it's pretty great imo, but i'm not picky about UX. the baseline gaming experience so far has been nothing short of sublime.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

If you want the kind of gameplay you are used to from Asscreed games, then Odyssey is a bad choice. If you don't enjoy game worlds that are pretty much big for the sake of it but also kind of the same everywhere, then it's probably also not a good idea. If you like the idea of playing a game that is basically Xena: Warrior Princess: The Game, up to and including a sense of being very episodic rather than a single contiguous game and/or story experience, then Odyssey is perfect for you and I can very much recommend it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you're looking for the closest thing to a STALKER 2 on PS4, Metro Exodus really surprised me with how STALKER-like it was at times. It's also like $20 or less right now, I think.

Weedle posted:

Odyssey is my favorite of the new Assassin's Creed RPG trilogy. Idk about the DLC because I never played it, but $15 for the base game is a great deal for how much content you're getting. I think I got 80 or 90 hours out of it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Weedle posted:

if you adored the experience of running around the map cleaning up question marks in Witcher 3 and stabbing one wolf in the rear end for an hour because you're too stubborn to lower the difficulty but wished it had less of that "good writing" getting in the way then Odyssey is the game for you

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

It's a 20-30 hour game stretched out into an ubi monstrosity. If it was cut down to a Mass Effect 2 type experience, it might be one of my favorite games of the generation. Instead it's a game I kinda hated my self for continuing to play. There was a lot to love, though, just know what you're signing up for.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

If you want the kind of gameplay you are used to from Asscreed games, then Odyssey is a bad choice. If you don't enjoy game worlds that are pretty much big for the sake of it but also kind of the same everywhere, then it's probably also not a good idea. If you like the idea of playing a game that is basically Xena: Warrior Princess: The Game, up to and including a sense of being very episodic rather than a single contiguous game and/or story experience, then Odyssey is perfect for you and I can very much recommend it.

I don’t like the gameplay of AssCreed at all tbh 😅

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well this is probably not a good sign

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1334607935515873280?s=21

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Isn't this like the third time they've resigned

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Isn't this like the third time they've resigned

second for hudson, when he left to twiddle his thumbs at microsoft

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i'm sure that anthem update is coming any day now

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Well, it might work a lot better for you, then. It's (as mentioned) overall very reminiscent of Witcher 3 - you have a ton of randomized equipment, agile and dodge-based melee combat, and a bunch of special totally-not-magic assassin powers to mix it up a little, all running on top of a foundation of the free-form parkour movement that the AC series was built around.

Downsides include aggressive level scaling and very bullet-spongey enemies, but if you don't mind that, it's not a bad game. Not a game I personally liked a lot, but a good one nonetheless. There's just way too much of it, is the only real problem. The game is about three times the size and length that it should've been. Also, the DLC is nothing to write home about and I'd personally avoid it, but that's just my own opinion.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gameplay since Origins has been very different. More RPG-esque, as mentioned. I like it a lil more

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Assassin's Creed gameplay has changed so much over time that it would depend on what you dislike. There was a pretty significant jump from Syndicate to Origins for example which pretty much redid everything except the basic concept

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, for all intents and purposes, everything from Origins onwards is pretty much an entirely new series of games that just coincidentally shares a name and a few setting elements with the old AC games. If the old ones don't appeal to you, the new ones certainly still might. They barely even have anything in common anymore.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I see the new Mass Effect is coming together nicely.

Didn’t they bring Hudson back to fix BioWare after the dumpster fire that was Andromeda ?

Then again BioWare released Anthem last year sooo..

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I was about 20 hours into AC Odyssey when I started feeling fatigue from the same boring quests and terrible combat, saw my file said I was at something like 20% completion and uninstalled it. Pretty to look at but boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I started playing odyssey again recently after getting burnt out long before I finished the story a year ago, and I forgot how loud it makes my PS4s fans go. I don't have any other games that make it run that loud