Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

Impa is obviously top tier since her shadow clones do a lot of damage and also build special meter ridiculously fast and basically spam specials all day long. all Link movesets are all around pretty good, with greatsword Link being the winner there. a lot of people seem to think Mipha is pretty great but i'm not feeling her, on the flipside people also agree that Revali sucks, but his stasis rune into ground c2 into aerial c5 combo carried me through a lot of the game. Sidon is able to keep every single officer and boss in perma weakpoint gauge stunlock with his c6 so that probably makes him the undisputed strongest however.

What makes GS Link so good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fadam posted:

His strong attacks using ZR are absurdly powerful and hit a wide area with very little downside. They can also shred a WPG with little effort. I think the fact that it’s powerful and mobile gives it a bit of an edge over regular sword link although the beams you shoot with the Master Sword make it the best IMO.

Spear Link is very fun, I just got a Savage Lynel Spear that came with Attack Range++ :getin:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I found a bombable wall in the Hyrule Castle mission and inside was a Greatsword with a base damage higher than my strongest levelled weapons and I havent taken it off since.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

YggiDee posted:

I found a bombable wall in the Hyrule Castle mission and inside was a Greatsword with a base damage higher than my strongest levelled weapons and I havent taken it off since.

True to the BotW experience. :v:

The way weapons work is a little weird since there are tiers. Everyone but Link only has three weapons so it's easy to tell what's what, but Link got everything else he can use in BotW and a bunch of extra half tiers to accommodate all of them so figuring out what his best weapons are is rough

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Whats kind of funky about the tiers is there's some roll variance... I've gotten what I assume are t2 weapons that don't have a higher damage stat the t1s? Also it seems like some characters start with unique weapons? Or maybe they're just t3? Like the champions came with weapons that had different then anything I've had drop for them.

What affects what tier of weapon drops? Level? Story progression?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Mission level, mostly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oxyclean posted:

Whats kind of funky about the tiers is there's some roll variance... I've gotten what I assume are t2 weapons that don't have a higher damage stat the t1s? Also it seems like some characters start with unique weapons? Or maybe they're just t3? Like the champions came with weapons that had different then anything I've had drop for them.

What affects what tier of weapon drops? Level? Story progression?

For Link it's mostly level as some weapons can only drop on certain maps. You can only get the Forest Dweller Sword on a Kokiri Forest map for instance, but more basic weapons can drop anywhere. Some are also in specific chests or enemy camp chests like the ladle. For everyone else it's just mission level.

The Champions start with a tier 3 weapon, you'll be able to get more of them later. The only truly unique weapons you can't fuse away and you only get one of are the Master Sword and Bow of Light. Weapon strength has variance even in it's tier, I've had tier 3 weapons with anything from 27-80 base damage. What tiers control is how much damage they get per level. So even if you max rolled damage on a Traveller's broadsword and it came with 36 damage compared to a low rolled Royal Broadsword's 30 it gains less strength per level and would fall behind as you levelled them

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wait why do people think Rivali sucks? Granted I’m only on chapter 3 but he seems really good. I like playing as him say better than say, Mipha for instance.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wait why do people think Rivali sucks? Granted I’m only on chapter 3 but he seems really good. I like playing as him say better than say, Mipha for instance.

I dunno, he can be a little awkward with his two modes and his inability to use rods in the air/lowered ability to dodge is frustrating. On the other hand he has like the 2nd or 3rd best Stasis in the game, being in the air keeps his hitbox out of range of a ridiculous number of enemy attacks and he has amazing attack strings that hit from a continent away.

I definitely have him as one of the top tier characters, probably a smidge below people like Sidon or Yunobo who can chain force WPG

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm surprised nobody has brought up king rhoam in the running for top tier character.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Like if I had to rate all the characters right now I'd probably go with

S: Sidon, Teba Link (2-handed, 1-handed), Impa
A: Yunobo, King Rhoam, Revali, Urbosa, Mipha, Spear Link, Zelda (both)
B: Daruk, Monk dude, Kohga, Terrako
C: Riju, Hestu

N/A (Broken but I hate them): Great Fairies

The final character I only just unlocked so I don't have a great handle on them yet.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 3, 2020

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I know you're right on Riju but I'm still sad because I really get on with the way they play and they're my go-to for killing mobs. Just spin to win all day.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

even if some characters are obviously better than others, the developers did a good job of making everyone viable. there's no situation like Ruto in Hyrule Warriors where her special and/or weak point smash actively push enemies out of its own attack range and do no damage. which is especially funny since Mipha takes a lot of Ruto's trash moves and makes them great.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I still have fun with Revali but my biggest gripe is getting a flurry rush midair and watching him land in slow motion to attack. I'm not even sure if it reduces the amount of damage I get a chance to do but it just interrupts the flow for me.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I’ve noticed that a lot of move sets are a lot less jank then in HW, Koei really pulled out the stops for this game.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

fadam posted:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

His strong attacks using ZR are absurdly powerful and hit a wide area with very little downside. They can also shred a WPG with little effort. I think the fact that it’s powerful and mobile gives it a bit of an edge over regular sword link although the beams you shoot with the Master Sword make it the best IMO.

In addition to all this; Link gets hyper armor during his enhanced strong attacks, and any hits you take while performing them are considered "temporary damage" the same way that the self damage is. Pop a quick meal (or use special), and it's like Link never got hit at all.

I'm really starting to notice and appreciate the intricacies of various characters' stasis lengths. Ganon's, for example, is just long enough for you to get to the strong hits of his final combo, which do outlandish weak point damage. The combination of varying stasis lengths, and the rules on when and how WPG can be forced, have actually got me thinking that Attack Speed Up, which I regarded as a must have for nearly every character in the OG, is not nearly as universally useful because you need things to fall in a certain "rhythm" in this game, and too much speed can disrupt that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Unsatisfying ground combat and his air combat kinda stinks compared to everyone else. He's just kinda awkward and lame and when you have characters that can do everything he can do better he's in a dumpster.

General popular opinion seems to be (all 18 listed)

S+
2 Hand Link, Impa, Sidon

A
Sword Link, Terrako, Yunobo, Rhoam, Kohga, Urbosa, Mipha, Zelda (Bow)

B
Daruk, Teba, Great Fairies, Calamity Ganon, Monk, Zelda (Slate), Spear Link

C
Revali, Riju, Hestu

I dont fully agree with the list but generally what I see as a whole. Also not counting the glitch that lets the Great Fairies insta murder things as that might get patched out.
I think if you have fun with em play them who really cares but eh.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

people mentioned the Great Fairies glitch before, but how does that even work, or even just their unique action for that matter? seems like one of the unique actions is a shield, like a weaker version of Shiek's water shield from Hyrule Warriors, but i legit can't figure what the others are supposed to do, and googling moveset guides that are deeper than "if you press strong after a light attack you do a combo" is proving surprisingly difficult.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

people mentioned the Great Fairies glitch before, but how does that even work, or even just their unique action for that matter? seems like one of the unique actions is a shield, like a weaker version of Shiek's water shield from Hyrule Warriors, but i legit can't figure what the others are supposed to do, and googling moveset guides that are deeper than "if you press strong after a light attack you do a combo" is proving surprisingly difficult.

One of them does a defense down debuff that stacks with itself and you can dodge cancel out of it to prevent the fairies from switching out. A couple stacks of it trivialize anything. There are some youtube videos of how to do it.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

a cartoon duck posted:

even if some characters are obviously better than others, the developers did a good job of making everyone viable. there's no situation like Ruto in Hyrule Warriors where her special and/or weak point smash actively push enemies out of its own attack range and do no damage. which is especially funny since Mipha takes a lot of Ruto's trash moves and makes them great.

Ruto was my go-to when I had to fight giant bosses, since the ending part of her full normal string melts their wpg. Less good against officers, since they could hit you while stuck in some of her combos.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah Ruto’s regular attack string shredded giant boss WPG’s it ruled. But yeah she was not great otherwise.

Mipha rules. The only characters I never use are the Faeries and Monk, but they’re also optional side characters so I don’t feel bad neglecting them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Geez, Ironshrooms are ridiculously rare. They're not sold at any shops and only three levels have them.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I wish the training room didn’t have that respawning Moblin in there so I could practice my combos without getting poked in the back every five seconds

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Scrap Dragon posted:

I wish the training room didn’t have that respawning Moblin in there so I could practice my combos without getting poked in the back every five seconds

Just do it in the starting chamber of the training room. The enemies won't go in there unless you step outside.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I just realized as Moz, if you do that combo that summons a Shrine, then go big and whack it with the Hammer, it makes it send out a giant shockwave that clobbers Weak Points

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My tip for people struggling to kill masses with Riju is to treat the X button as if it was the Y button. She becomes a blender of death if you do that. That's not great for officers/bosses, but usually you can just use the special for that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like how I tried to get the final mission out of the way in hopes of getting more cheerful map music only to make everything worse! It's a pretty good touch having them gone from the UI too.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Do the challenges extend past the 71-80 category?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

they do not, the highest-level challenge is 80.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

poo poo I guess I'm 100%ing this!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What combo do you guys use to break WPG with 2h Link?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

fadam posted:

What combo do you guys use to break WPG with 2h Link?

C6 absolutely shreds them

Before you get that I used C3 iirc

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

remind me, does C3 mean YYX or YYYX?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

b_d posted:

remind me, does C3 mean YYX or YYYX?

YYX

C1 is just X, the number denotes which button press is the strong attack

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

So what is just the light attack string called? C0?

Also, didn’t find this out until trying one of the Blood Moon missions, apparently Link will occasionally use a cucco to glide from the tower at the beginning of a mission

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

So what is just the light attack string called? C0?

Also, didn’t find this out until trying one of the Blood Moon missions, apparently Link will occasionally use a cucco to glide from the tower at the beginning of a mission

Yeah, it's pretty rare.

People should definitely try out other characters too to see their often silly gliding animations from the tower. Specifically The Great Fairies, Terrako, Riju, the Monk and Calamity Ganon are fun

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
These postgame divine beast missions are horseshit

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

These postgame divine beast missions are horseshit

Van Medoh sucks rear end and I hate it. The others were pretty trivial though one :shrug:. The others don't let loving fifty Lynels spawn under you with their horseshit and have the ability to actually hit in AoE

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Zore posted:

Van Medoh sucks rear end and I hate it. The others were pretty trivial though one :shrug:. The others don't let loving fifty Lynels spawn under you with their horseshit and have the ability to actually hit in AoE

Vah Medoh is the easiest and strongest divine beast? The worst one is Rudania with no shield, piss-weak ranged and a melee that can't hit flying guardians. With Medoh all you do is switch to ground target mode and rake your lasers from target to target, occasionally switching back to air and using your ZL to kill everything in front of you and maybe pinpointing a target or two with more lasers before switching back, your special will charge so fast that if you start getting hit/Windblight starts attacking you're basically guaranteed to have a full bar whenever you need it. I just fly lazy circles around the arena and blow away the targets usually before they can even start attacking, doesn't hurt that it seems that attacking something that's about to throw poo poo your way interrupts them even if the projectile is already in flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Just got 100% completion! I was expecting some huge final slog at the end but I managed my Korok hunts pretty well and capped it all off with that crazy siege challenge.

I never got far with Hyrule Warriors: DE but I'm itching for more so maybe I'll dig into some more adventure boards.