Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Think I'm gonna get a G604. It's just $5 more than the 502 and I've always wanted to try a wireless mouse.

e:did logitech change its warranty to two years from three?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

Think I'm gonna get a G604. It's just $5 more than the 502 and I've always wanted to try a wireless mouse.

e:did logitech change its warranty to two years from three?

warranty depends on the product tier these days. Not many peripheral companies have a blanket warranty these days. You gotta look up the warranty for the specific item

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Mouse update: I mentioned a while ago that I was on my like 5th DeathAdder and wanted to try something new and decidedly not-Razer that doesn't fail as much. Unfortunately, as I learned from this thread, it turns out the mice that don't fail as much are now the Razer mice...

So I ended up getting a Viper since a lot of people recommended it here. I have to say, I wasn't a fan. I didn't like the ambidextrous design with the right-side buttons somewhat in the way, I appreciated the lower weight but thought it was bordering on too light, and worst of all I found that the left-side buttons required me to push my thumb partly into the mouse in order to get them to actually click.

Since that was a no-go, I got a Basilisk v2 to try instead. It's a more comfortable right-handed design, it still has the more reliable optical switches, and the weight is pleasantly lower than my current DeathAdder but not as extreme as the Viper. I don't think I'll ever use the front thumb button, it's not the easiest to reach, but otherwise I like it quite a bit and think I'll be keeping it. Just hoping it lasts longer than all those DeathAdders after all...

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

My mouse started disconnecting and reconnecting over and over again, eventually causing the computer to freeze. I tested it on a laptop and it worked for an hour with no issues. I tried uninstalling the driver in Windows Device Manager then plugging it back in, but that didn't work. Last time this happened, I got a new mouse, and that fixed it. I guess I'll keep using my wireless mouse for a while until I feel like buying a new one with a cord

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do you have anything plugged into the usb headers on your mobo? If any of them are loose they can affect other devices.
you can use this what exactly is disconnecting.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_log_view.html

I had a similar problem with a keyboard dropping connections and a loose rgb controller

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I am going to ask a series of dumb and un-googled questions so bear with me or not.

I need a mouse that does not click so I can read/shop/browse SA with no clicky to bug my SO.

I like the apple mice I've used at work, I think M$ has one that may not click.

Not sure if the apple mouse works on Win10 though and am looking for a recc for a quiet night-time mouse.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I am going to ask a series of dumb and un-googled questions so bear with me or not.

I need a mouse that does not click so I can read/shop/browse SA with no clicky to bug my SO.

I like the apple mice I've used at work, I think M$ has one that may not click.

Not sure if the apple mouse works on Win10 though and am looking for a recc for a quiet night-time mouse.

Get the Logitech M590 https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/mice/m590-silent-wireless-mouse.910-005014.html?crid=7

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Oh thank you so much. It has a unifying receiver like my logi kb & mouse, the bluetooth situation around here is befouled.

e: order placed

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I've been using a G603 for the past 3 years. It's my 2nd one actually, I had to RMA the first after a month because it almost immediately started clicking wildly out of control. There was a Logitech employee who posted here at the time and they helped me get it resolved. Now I'm running into a similar issue with the one they sent, I only just noticed it becoming more frequent this past week. I saw Klyiths' repair post on the last page, but I don't have the motor skills for that sort of thing.

I looked at the G305 as a possible replacement, as it is smaller which I would prefer, but I'm on my 4th Logitech mouse in the past 5 years. I'm kinda tired of giving them money when their products keep breaking down on me. Also GHub sucks and, among other issues, refuses to put the correct DPI on the on-board profile so I have to use the live mode or whatever it's called.

Is there any mouse manufacturer out there that has good config software, high-performance sensor and wireless tech, and actual good microswitches on the buttons? I only want 6 buttons (standard L/R, scroll wheel, DPI [I always change this to WinKey + Tab], two on left side), a smaller form factor than the 603, and I don't care at all about RGB.

If I'm stuck with Logitech, has anyone used the 305 and have a trip report on it? Should I go for something with a Hero sensor? I currently use the 603 in endurance mode only so I may not need something that fancy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Razer has a few mice with optical switches. Those are the only mice currently on the market where you have some reasonable hope that they will have any sort of button reliability. Yes, it's absurd to be recommending Razer products when looking for reliability, but that's where we are in 2020.

All mouse software is fully garbage and we will probably never again see a mouse that just loving works without software bullshit.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there really no thirdparty or open sourced do-it-all whizzbang universal mouse software that can handle all the buttons above how many Windows coders can count on one hand?

I'm like 98% sure there is one for joysticks and gamepads.

ai girlfriend
Jan 1, 2020

K8.0 posted:

Razer has a few mice with optical switches. Those are the only mice currently on the market where you have some reasonable hope that they will have any sort of button reliability. Yes, it's absurd to be recommending Razer products when looking for reliability, but that's where we are in 2020.

The button feel on my viper mini degraded a lot after just a few weeks but I guess that's technically not a reliability issue

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Ofecks posted:

I've been using a G603 for the past 3 years. It's my 2nd one actually, I had to RMA the first after a month because it almost immediately started clicking wildly out of control. There was a Logitech employee who posted here at the time and they helped me get it resolved. Now I'm running into a similar issue with the one they sent, I only just noticed it becoming more frequent this past week. I saw Klyiths' repair post on the last page, but I don't have the motor skills for that sort of thing.

I looked at the G305 as a possible replacement, as it is smaller which I would prefer, but I'm on my 4th Logitech mouse in the past 5 years. I'm kinda tired of giving them money when their products keep breaking down on me. Also GHub sucks and, among other issues, refuses to put the correct DPI on the on-board profile so I have to use the live mode or whatever it's called.

Is there any mouse manufacturer out there that has good config software, high-performance sensor and wireless tech, and actual good microswitches on the buttons? I only want 6 buttons (standard L/R, scroll wheel, DPI [I always change this to WinKey + Tab], two on left side), a smaller form factor than the 603, and I don't care at all about RGB.

If I'm stuck with Logitech, has anyone used the 305 and have a trip report on it? Should I go for something with a Hero sensor? I currently use the 603 in endurance mode only so I may not need something that fancy.

I’ve got one, picked it up after my g pro wireless started double clicking on a couple buttons; going to replace the switches just haven’t gotten to ordering parts yet. The 305 is a little portlier but it’s well built and feels and performs a little better than what I’d imagine for a 40 dollar mouse. The wireless and sensor are the g pros and in those regards it’s good. Trying out a Glorious O wired at the moment to see what else is out there.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

K8.0 posted:

Thanks for the tip, I will consider one of those, even though they are expensive. I wish they made the DeathAdder V2 Mini in a wireless version, I'm not sure I want another chonker like the G603. The wireless DAV2 looks to be of a similar size. I'm wondering about your third sentence because I don't know much about the brand - do Razer not have a good track record for reliability?

The Electronaut posted:

I’ve got one, picked it up after my g pro wireless started double clicking on a couple buttons; going to replace the switches just haven’t gotten to ordering parts yet. The 305 is a little portlier but it’s well built and feels and performs a little better than what I’d imagine for a 40 dollar mouse. The wireless and sensor are the g pros and in those regards it’s good. Trying out a Glorious O wired at the moment to see what else is out there.

When you use the word "portlier", do you mean it's wide like the pics indicate? That might be better for me than one that's tall like the 603 because my hand size is shorter (in length) but wider in palm.

Roumba posted:

Is there really no thirdparty or open sourced do-it-all whizzbang universal mouse software that can handle all the buttons above how many Windows coders can count on one hand?

I'm like 98% sure there is one for joysticks and gamepads.

Usually console/arcade controls for PC use either DirectInput or Xinput, both of which are handled by the OS and require no extra software. It will depend on each individual game how well you can re-config things. Something like Xpadder or Joy2Key would be needed for particularly stubborn and/or old games. I've heard of people using PS3 or PS4 pads/sticks on PC but I'm not sure how that works.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Thanks for the tip, I will consider one of those, even though they are expensive. I wish they made the DeathAdder V2 Mini in a wireless version, I'm not sure I want another chonker like the G603. The wireless DAV2 looks to be of a similar size. I'm wondering about your third sentence because I don't know much about the brand - do Razer not have a good track record for reliability?

Razer historically has had a lot of reliability problems (see my post at the top of this page). More recently they'd been on par with the other mouse manufacturers since they all used the same mechanical switches, until they came out with their newer optical switches. No one else uses optical switches yet and theoretically they'll be more reliable. But I'm not sure they've been available long enough to confirm that they'll actually last.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Fauxtool posted:

do you have anything plugged into the usb headers on your mobo? If any of them are loose they can affect other devices.
you can use this what exactly is disconnecting.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_log_view.html

I had a similar problem with a keyboard dropping connections and a loose rgb controller

USB Log View only told me the specific USB port and hub from which the mouse was disconnecting, but this didn't help because it changed with each USB port I plugged that specific mouse into. It didn't tell me that anything was loose. I installed Logitech's drivers via their SetPoint program, but it didn't stop the mouse from disconnecting and reconnecting.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I did an impulse purchase of the razer grip tape. I mainly did it because I wanted to give my Viper some texture, not because my fingers slip off of it or anything like that, but goddamn do I like the feel of it.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Not a joke. I bought the DeathAdder V2 Pro wireless and the dongle is straight up breaking windows. I reinstalled W10 trying to solve this, and I made a thread because I was so stumped. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950756

Turns out the dongle being plugged in completely fucks with logging into another account while there's already an account logged in. I can plug it in after the account is running and things work fine but then things get fucky again if I try to switch accounts with it plugged in. I've tried having Synapse / Razer drivers completely off the device, I've tried having Synapse running on both, as guest and logged in. No improvement.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I loving love this mouse, I am so annoyed I might have to return it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bought my sister a small wireless Logitech for her laptop. And what do you know, the middle mouse button is rear end.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Update that might help someone else: fixed the MS Intellimouse Pro randomly turning off issues after unchecking this box on one of the USB Root Hub properties and it's back to it's status as the perfect mouse:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have experience with the Anker 2.4G or similar vertical mice?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

Anyone have experience with the Anker 2.4G or similar vertical mice?

its fine. its not as good as the expensive logitech one but its a great option to see if that form factor works for you

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Razer gave me a £10 voucher so I broke down and ordered the Deathadder V2 Pro bundle.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

Update that might help someone else: fixed the MS Intellimouse Pro randomly turning off issues after unchecking this box on one of the USB Root Hub properties and it's back to it's status as the perfect mouse:

Yeah, that was killing the connection to my Bluetooth keyboard. I’ve toggled it for all of them and haven’t had an issue since. Tempted to try rolling them back one at a time, but I doubt the <5W savings is worth it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

Razer gave me a £10 voucher so I broke down and ordered the Deathadder V2 Pro bundle.

Thought I had posted it but I suppose not! So far, loving this mouse. Way more of a comfortable fit for my hand than the G400s - only negative against it is that the M1 and M2 clicks felt more solid on the G400s, owing to the pre-travel on the Deathadder, which is understandable considering that swooping design of the top shell.

Only wish the software had a way to display a battery indicator in the system tray.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Got my G604.
  • It's heavier than the 402, but a bit smaller. I think I preferred the dimensions of the 402, but this might just be a question of adjusting. The weight is especially noticeable when picking it up.
  • I don't like the rattling of the battery. My issue is less about the noise than the momentum shift of the mouse.
  • This is my first mouse with a metal wheel. I don't know if I like it. It's like both modes aren't great for normal use. The scroll is either too heavy (I have poo poo hands), or too loose (which I get has its uses). The scroll wheel button click is a bit heavier than I'd prefer, but at least it's consistent.
  • Other than that it seems like most of the side buttons are a bit inconvenient to access.
  • Oh, and there was a minor scratch!
I'd probably be regretting my purchase if I paid full price, but at $50 it seems okay. Hope I get used to feeling the battery shift.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

[*]This is my first mouse with a metal wheel. I don't know if I like it. It's like both modes aren't great for normal use. The scroll is either too heavy (I have poo poo hands), or too loose (which I get has its uses). The scroll wheel button click is a bit heavier than I'd prefer, but at least it's consistent.

As in how much resistance there is to rolling one "click" of the wheel? That will probably loosen up after a bit if you keep it in ratchet mode rather than freespin. Those are just a spring pushing against a bunch of detents on the inside of the wheel, so the resistance is all from the spring force. Also the mechanism for that is plastic on plastic.

(Also the wheel ratchet spring is another thing that can be fixed by taking a mouse apart -- I like a very firm scroll click, so I've done the opposite and added more spring tension to old mice that started to feel loose to me.)

Battery rattle sucks, but that should be very easy to stop with a wedge of folded-up paper.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

As in how much resistance there is to rolling one "click" of the wheel?

Yes. Also it's loving loud.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Got my G604.
  • It's heavier than the 402, but a bit smaller. I think I preferred the dimensions of the 402, but this might just be a question of adjusting. The weight is especially noticeable when picking it up.
  • I don't like the rattling of the battery. My issue is less about the noise than the momentum shift of the mouse.
  • This is my first mouse with a metal wheel. I don't know if I like it. It's like both modes aren't great for normal use. The scroll is either too heavy (I have poo poo hands), or too loose (which I get has its uses). The scroll wheel button click is a bit heavier than I'd prefer, but at least it's consistent.
  • Other than that it seems like most of the side buttons are a bit inconvenient to access.
  • Oh, and there was a minor scratch!
I'd probably be regretting my purchase if I paid full price, but at $50 it seems okay. Hope I get used to feeling the battery shift.

The scroll wheel in click mode loosens up and quiets down after a few days. I almost made a post bitching about it when I first got mine but it didn't take long to sort itself out. You can speed it along by spinning it in both directions a bunch.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

My beloved G403 (wired, optical sensor) has begun double-clicking when I'm actually single clicking.

Is there a simple, quick repair/replacement for whatever's broken in this model? Or am I ordering another mouse?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

pmchem posted:

My beloved G403 (wired, optical sensor) has begun double-clicking when I'm actually single clicking.

Is there a simple, quick repair/replacement for whatever's broken in this model? Or am I ordering another mouse?

You can try squirting some contact cleaner in under the mouse button but it's by no means guaranteed to work nor a permanent solution. Otherwise you're looking at buying a new switch off digikey and soldering it on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pmchem posted:

pictorial guide to opening & cleaning button contacts

it's not exactly simple, but it's not difficult for anyone with basic tools. far easier than soldering a new switch if you've never soldered anything before.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sucks but I think I'm gonna have to return the 604. It's just too heavy for me. Switching back to the my old mouse was a literal relief. It was a stark difference.

I also don't like the mouse wheel, but I could probably learn to live with it (the horizontal tilt shift is cool though).

Not sure where this leaves me. Apparently the G502 isn't that much lighter. 402s aren't in production anymore (my last mouse). Might get an MX518, but I'd miss the 402's button layout. Don't know much about other brands.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 14, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Would having a vertical mouse help with trigger finger? My middle finger is acting up again and i have a feeling me holding the mouse for such long periods of time is to blame

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Artelier posted:

Would having a vertical mouse help with trigger finger? My middle finger is acting up again and i have a feeling me holding the mouse for such long periods of time is to blame

That's a solid maybe, you should try it out if you're getting a RSI though.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

What’s the goon consensus on the Razer Naga Pro? I was looking to get a mouse I could use in MMOs.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I ended up buying a G430 Hero (the new sensor model) to replace my G403.

Mouse wheel is stiffer/better. Otherwise largely the same, perhaps a little more runway for primary clicking for less chance of accidental clicks. Good mouse.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tugboat Willy posted:

What’s the goon consensus on the Razer Naga Pro? I was looking to get a mouse I could use in MMOs.

I steer clear of Razer and have been happy with my logitech g600. There's some corsair mouse with the thumb pad now too

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

mewse posted:

I steer clear of Razer and have been happy with my logitech g600. There's some corsair mouse with the thumb pad now too

Some day they will release a fancy new G600

Some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Argas posted:

Some day they will release a fancy new G600

Some day.

I’m looking forward to that but I just refurbed mine with a Japanese omron switch for left click, removed the weights that are just screwed on inside the case and some new feet. I found a new white version on eBay that I ordered in case my repairs didn’t work and that’s on the shelf now so I’m set for the foreseeable future or until they finally release an updated version

E: also the internal pcb is silkscreened “antivenom” just in case anyone was wondering whether they were targeting the razer naga

mewse fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 15, 2020