Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
How are husks created, again? I was under the impression that no one in the comic knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Looking at Girl Genius, I just realized that "Oggie" is in fact probably short for some variant of "Foglio".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rand Brittain posted:

Looking at Girl Genius, I just realized that "Oggie" is in fact probably short for some variant of "Foglio".

It's short for Ognian. It's just a coincidence that he's the author self-insert's great grandfather.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ironic Twist posted:

How are husks created, again? I was under the impression that no one in the comic knew

We still aren’t entirely sure. Rin’s reaction to her familiar being destroyed suggests that a familiar being destroyed isn’t normally quite so big a deal so there has to be some extenuating circumstances at play.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Captain Oblivious posted:

We still aren’t entirely sure. Rin’s reaction to her familiar being destroyed suggests that a familiar being destroyed isn’t normally quite so big a deal so there has to be some extenuating circumstances at play.

I think it was implied at some point that part of it involved basically consuming the familiar bond somehow, which causes the user's magic to burn itself out/circulate inwards somehow, though I don't remember when offhand. It may also be important that another husk be involved somehow- there's been some speculation that Broom Girl is a husk since we never see her eyes.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'm reading Octopus Pie blind with commentary and god this entire thing hits real close to home, it's a shame I never paid it much mind earlier.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

kvx687 posted:

I think it was implied at some point that part of it involved basically consuming the familiar bond somehow, which causes the user's magic to burn itself out/circulate inwards somehow, though I don't remember when offhand. It may also be important that another husk be involved somehow- there's been some speculation that Broom Girl is a husk since we never see her eyes.
I believe January? or one of the other Teen Wonders says it involves eating of your own familiar, which obviously isn't true as we've seen with Rin, but also seems to have a seed of truth, since the magic user clearly gets merged with the familiar and takes on an unstable form. I do wonder if a husk could mimic standard use of magic as well as Broom Girl can, but Lucy managed to go surprisingly long before getting called out, so who knows.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm really enjoying Secret Husk Rin, it's very clear that an adult husk is rare and extremely dangerous. I'm also excited to find out exactly how much self-control a husk can have, and kiiiiind of hoping she and Seiji can finally bond over crime and needless contrarianism.
Let's be fair here, sometimes adult husks just never leave their houses or express any affection.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hostile V posted:

I'm reading Octopus Pie blind with commentary and god this entire thing hits real close to home, it's a shame I never paid it much mind earlier.

It's absolutely amazing. I caught it a few years in, and it was ridiculously meaningful, especially with with the comic's years keeping pace with the real world. Had to mourn it all over again when the commentary reruns ended a couple months ago.

It's really hard to describe why/how it's so good, if I was better at putting words to it I'd be evangelizing it constantly.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So John Allison has been posting Advent Value Stamps on his steeple.church website. In his own words:

John Allison posted:

In a 100% new-for 2020 feature, enjoy the Scary Go Round Value Stamps Advent Calendar every day between now and Christmas Eve. Count down and collect with these clip-and-save stamps!

What can you buy with your Scary Go Round Value Stamps? PRIZES! You’ll be able to trade in your stamps at branches of Rumbelows, Woolworths and Woolco across the United Kingdom (excepting the Channel Islands).

BUT THAT’S NOT ALL!

— Green stamps have a multiplier of 1.1x when redeemed at weekends.

— Collect ten red stamps to enjoy a secret multiplier bonus at participating shops. If in doubt, ask the manager.

— Rumbelows Hi-Fi Club members get a 50 point bonus on production of your membership pennant.

I hope you enjoy collecting these stamps – remember, you can only redeem them up to Dec 31, 2020. Have fun!

Here are two of my favorites so far

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This one's on the OP and I guess can get moved to "Completed" now but Parallax ended abruptly last month after an extended hiatus. Hopefully the artist/author eventually outlines a "what would have been" wrap up for the rest of it because it felt like it was only halfway through its arc when it all came kind of crashing down.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ditocoaf posted:

It's absolutely amazing. I caught it a few years in, and it was ridiculously meaningful, especially with with the comic's years keeping pace with the real world. Had to mourn it all over again when the commentary reruns ended a couple months ago.

It's really hard to describe why/how it's so good, if I was better at putting words to it I'd be evangelizing it constantly.

People keep talking about how amazing it is.

When does it get good though? Because I've read a lot of strips now and it's... okay, but not exactly compelling.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

People keep talking about how amazing it is.

When does it get good though? Because I've read a lot of strips now and it's... okay, but not exactly compelling.

To be clear what you're in for, it never suddenly twists and develops Lore or high-stakes adventure. It's set in basically the real world with streaks of urban-myth surreality, all its strength comes from the character-work, tone, building a sense of these characters' world and lives and getting you to care about it all. It feels slice-of-life from chapter to chapter, but it builds some compelling character arcs through all that. ...It's frustrating to describe, since I'm not sure I'd read the comic based on what I just wrote.

To the question "when will I know it's good?", I'd say it's gradual, but if you're 10-15 chapters into the 50+ chapters and still not feeling it, then maybe abandon ship. It continually improves with the author's experience over the decade it ran, but by then it's definitely found its feet and if it's not your thing it's not your thing.

EDIT: it's often very funny, that's just not what I picture when I'm holding the entire decade of story in my head after having recently reread the finale

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 11, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Really loving this QC storyline of "all ace people are literally Entrapta beep boop"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Really loving this QC storyline of "all ace people are literally Entrapta beep boop"

It's established that Brun loves clocks, and this clearly looks like a clock.

And she has a harpoon, which basically makes her a perfect fit for Union Robotics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Really loving this QC storyline

I'll take "things only ever said ironically" for 100, Alex

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ditocoaf posted:

To be clear what you're in for, it never suddenly twists and develops Lore or high-stakes adventure. It's set in basically the real world with streaks of urban-myth surreality, all its strength comes from the character-work, tone, building a sense of these characters' world and lives and getting you to care about it all. It feels slice-of-life from chapter to chapter, but it builds some compelling character arcs through all that. ...It's frustrating to describe, since I'm not sure I'd read the comic based on what I just wrote.

To the question "when will I know it's good?", I'd say it's gradual, but if you're 10-15 chapters into the 50+ chapters and still not feeling it, then maybe abandon ship. It continually improves with the author's experience over the decade it ran, but by then it's definitely found its feet and if it's not your thing it's not your thing.

EDIT: it's often very funny, that's just not what I picture when I'm holding the entire decade of story in my head after having recently reread the finale
After a certain point it's explicitly no longer about the shine of being in your 20s and living a liminal life and its strength is the fact that you've got that solid bedrock of characters and the world around them as things start mattering. But they always did matter, y'know? When that started hitting I really appreciated it more.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'll take "things only ever said ironically" for 100, Alex

You found me out

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I just binged Never Satisfied, and I still don't understand why Lucy wanted to be a representative, or even what a representative really is, or why it has to be teenagers. Did I miss something, or did the comic just never explain its main character's motivations after 10 chapters?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lucy’s motivation is to show up magic users due to deep seated inferiority/self worth issues.

The representative is a vaguely defined special agent/deputy.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Lucy’s motivation is to show up magic users due to deep seated inferiority/self worth issues.

The representative is a vaguely defined special agent/deputy.

Really? I got the self loathing bit, but does it actually say anywhere that's their reason for signing up? "I hate myself, therefor I'll compete for a job I'm entirely unqualified for, gently caress wizards"?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pavlov posted:

Really? I got the self loathing bit, but does it actually say anywhere that's their reason for signing up? "I hate myself, therefor I'll compete for a job I'm entirely unqualified for, gently caress wizards"?
One of the major themes of Never Satisfied is the desires and behaviors of teenagers (and the kinds of adults people become when they don't grow out of those behaviors), and pursuing some ridiculous goal because they think it might somehow legitimize them or make them 'worthwhile' or 'real' is 100% pure-strain teenager. Hell, Lucy's not even the only one with that motivation.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pavlov posted:

No, it pretty much relies on the reader to pick up on subtext. It's absolutely present, but it is never narrated at you or anything.

Actually that's not true. They all but say it outright when strangling gently caress You Got Mine Girl.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

No, it pretty much relies on the reader to pick up on subtext. It's absolutely present, but it is never narrated at you or anything.

Actually that's not true. They all but say it outright when strangling gently caress You Got Mine Girl.

Ok, so I wasn't missing anything.

They do straight up say that people like FYGM girl are one of their problems, but like they say, they obviously have a lot of other ones. It seems just as likely the inciting incident was them trying to spite their master somehow; or someone on the street mistook them for a contestant and they just rolled with it; or were about to jump off a bridge, saw a flyer for the competition, and said, "gently caress it, why not, I'll try this first." If we don't even know what a representative generally does, it could be they wanted to do something specific to that office.

I guess I just don't like it when important character motivations are left so ambiguous so deep into a story. Pretty much every character who isn't still mystery bait has straightforward and specific motivations. That's probably why I find almost all of them more relatable.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The Representatives seem to be the local rulers, at least in a lot of matters.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I wouldn't be surprised if they do a flashback at some point regarding the specific whens and hows around each character signing up but, no, right now aside from Philomena saying her father pushed her into it and Tetsu saying they signed up because they want to use the position to change the system from within, the other characters' motivations are just things you can speculate on mostly from their attitude or the things they've alluded to. The broader world hasn't been explained much beyond where it immediately overlaps with something happening in the slow burn interpersonal drama, so it might be a while before you get much exposition about anything.

Still, it's safe to assume any time you wonder about motivation with the main characters in Never Satisfies, the answer is probably "disaster teen makes impulsive bad choice because disaster teen" because that's the subgenre it's existing in.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

They could solve so many problems by talking to each other and they don't and it just keeps making things worse and I love it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

If you need a motivation for Lucy's actions, it's that they want to be noticed, acknowledged, and praised, while also simultaniously thinking it's impossible for anyone to truly want them around or be proud of them. It's why they fall so hard for Fidelia's toxic affections, because on the surface it's giving Lucy everything they want to the point that they aren't capable yet of noticing where it isolates them or doesn't match up with how Fidelia treats everyone else. Lucy's social isolation also means they have pretty low defenses against that sort of thing, where they're simply too inexperienced with social manipulation to identify it.

The specific motivation for joining the contest is going to be rooted in that desire to be noticed, acknowledged, and praised, then, although I don't actually think Lucy thought they were going to be able to win when they joined. I think they were testing their boundaries and figuring out what they could get away with and how far they could go. They wanted Thierry to learn about it after Lucy had already done something impressive and be proud because Thierry knows exactly what Lucy can't do and would know how hard it was for Lucy to get that far. This was, well, an even more impossible goal than winning, but it's hard to acknowledge that when you're in the position of having an abusive guardian you still think you can impress. It's also pretty plausible that Ivy suggested Lucy socialize with people their own age, Lucy heard about the contest, and then they decided to go for it in the worst possible way.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

The Representatives seem to be the local rulers, at least in a lot of matters.

I didn't get the sense of that at all. All I recall really hearing about them are that they fight husks occasionally, work with the magisters... somehow, and are teenagers for some reason?

The name implies that they represent the city in something, but I don't in what. Is it like for the wizard Olympics? Maybe there's a teenage wizard parliament out there somewhere?

Nuns with Guns posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they do a flashback at some point regarding the specific whens and hows around each character signing up but, no, right now aside from Philomena saying her father pushed her into it and Tetsu saying they signed up because they want to use the position to change the system from within, the other characters' motivations are just things you can speculate on mostly from their attitude or the things they've alluded to.

I actually wouldn't ask for a flashback for any of the other characters, besides maybe broom-witch. They've all made it fairly clear how they got there. There isn't much guesswork involved. The thing I find weird is that all the side characters got fleshed out motivations, and the main character didn't. And Lucy really had to go out of their way to be there. It seems like they shouldn't have been allowed to compete at all.

I'm actually wondering if Lucy is even really the MC anymore. With everyone else getting more fleshed out, it kind of feels more ensemble-cast now.

PetraCore posted:

The specific motivation for joining the contest is going to be rooted in that desire to be noticed, acknowledged, and praised, then, although I don't actually think Lucy thought they were going to be able to win when they joined. I think they were testing their boundaries and figuring out what they could get away with and how far they could go. They wanted Thierry to learn about it after Lucy had already done something impressive and be proud because Thierry knows exactly what Lucy can't do and would know how hard it was for Lucy to get that far. This was, well, an even more impossible goal than winning, but it's hard to acknowledge that when you're in the position of having an abusive guardian you still think you can impress. It's also pretty plausible that Ivy suggested Lucy socialize with people their own age, Lucy heard about the contest, and then they decided to go for it in the worst possible way.

Yeah, I think any of those could turn out to be true. Or it could be Lucy really idolized the last Representative and wanted to follow in their footsteps. Or they got really entranced by a character in one of those books they were reading and thought this was a way to make that real. Or a dozen other teen angst related things.

But at this point the entire competition has been over for like 2 chapters and the comic never spent 3 panels saying which of those happened. It just stuck with a nebulous "angst, therefor wizard competition, somehow".

Anyway, I'm done complaining now. It's actually a pretty fun comic besides that.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Eh, I think Lucy's motivation is pretty comprehensible, and also... Lucy clearly doesn't understand Lucy very well!

They're a teenager who desperately wants friendship and affection but also can't bring themselves to actually approach people in those terms, and clearly it's more or less expected that any apprentice in town will try for the Representative spot. The kid who lost in the first scene clearly wasn't too bothered that he wasn't going to be Representative, but Lucy is incredibly competitive for all the reasons outlined so far.

E: And honestly, how Lucy got roped into a clear analogue for high school competitions is really not as important to the story as literally anything else going on; on some level, Representative as a position hardly matters to the plot. It's the role that's perceived as glamorous and important, with influence and recognition, and a bunch of teens are expected to fight over it (which also implies it's not as powerful a position in itself as the teens think it is; Fidelia has no interest in being Representative herself, only in having leverage over them).

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 13, 2020

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Could just be me, but I really do find the specifics of character goals and motivations important for relating to them. Its how I tell if they're being reasonable or stupid, compassionate or manipulative, selfish or generous. If someone has an ambiguous goals for ambiguous reasons, it gets an ambiguous reaction from me.

I never really found myself rooting for Lucy, because they never really gave me a reason to over anyone else. I'm still not sure if angst was their real reason at all, or if that was just incidental. It was only recently the comic told us Lucy is actually a secret amnesiac. They could still have a secret, non-angst-based reason for registering. That then re-contextualizes everything that's happened so far. For me at least, knowing that reason up front makes the things a character does more compelling as they do it, as opposed to only in hindsight.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Pavlov posted:

I didn't get the sense of that at all. All I recall really hearing about them are that they fight husks occasionally, work with the magisters... somehow, and are teenagers for some reason?

The name implies that they represent the city in something, but I don't in what. Is it like for the wizard Olympics? Maybe there's a teenage wizard parliament out there somewhere?

Whatever else they seem to work directly for and with the King, so the role has a ton of influence.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GlyphGryph posted:

Whatever else they seem to work directly for and with the King, so the role has a ton of influence.
It sounds like they're the city's champion, or something. It's a martial position with a lot of political influence. Why teenagers? Because in this specific case, the people in power are looking for someone young enough to mold to their position and to control. It's implicitly kind of a skeevy thing they're headhunting teens here.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pavlov posted:

They do straight up say that people like FYGM girl are one of their problems, but like they say, they obviously have a lot of other ones. It seems just as likely the inciting incident was them trying to spite their master somehow

I see it the other way around. They desperately want Rothart to be proud of them, to not blatantly loathe Lucy's presence and very existence, and if they could just win this competition, that would be something.

But obviously, it was never meant to be, and it's not clear why Ivy would help them try in the first place.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I see it the other way around. They desperately want Rothart to be proud of them, to not blatantly loathe Lucy's presence and very existence, and if they could just win this competition, that would be something.

But obviously, it was never meant to be, and it's not clear why Ivy would help them try in the first place.

Ivy was pretty clear about that? Ivy was willing to help when Lucy was getting to know the other candidates and seemed to be making friends, but when things got dangerous she told Lucy it was time to stop.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I saw Lucy running as being less about actually becoming a Representative, than just trying to prove to themselves that they can a)function in a society where everyone has magic but them b)hide in plain sight from future cop canditates c)get in on some teen romance drama.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yak of Wrath posted:

I saw Lucy running as being less about actually becoming a Representative, than just trying to prove to themselves that they can a)function in a society where everyone has magic but them b)hide in plain sight from future cop canditates c)get in on some teen romance drama.
There's also the fact that when they failed to properly get in on the teen romance drama because they're so prickly cacti think they should trust more, it built up a lot of resentment that came out in that later fight which I don't think was necessarily there to start with. Lucy just doesn't know how to make friends because they've got 5 years of memories and all of them are bad and isolated. Morgan apparently knew how to maintain friendships, although we don't know how prickly they were to anyone but Tobi and Su.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
It's behind his Patron paywall, but I feel I would be remiss if I didn't mention that John Allison has started another Cattywampus side comic: Here Comes Gothy staring Esther De Groot.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
By the way, AXED just finished up. Felt a little abrupt to me, but at least it didn't run out of steam.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FronzelNeekburm posted:

By the way, AXED just finished up. Felt a little abrupt to me, but at least it didn't run out of steam.

Aw, that ending was pretty cute. I think it did a good job, and I'm glad it concluded properly rather than just trying to keep treading the same ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The CRISIS ZONE has ended as well. RIP Werewolf Jones