Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I 'finished' AC Syndicate but I might still do the side quests I have left and the Jack the Ripper DLC, otherwise I dunno what to play next. I started Azure Striker Gunvolt but it's not really a play all weekend game since you can probably finish it in a couple of hours, though I know it's designed more as a score attack game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wrapped up Assassin's CTD and I think I'll just be taking a break from 100+ hour mega-games until Trite Word Dung 2,077 Hours of Unpaid Overtime comes out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A whole seven days? (citation needed)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Also still playing Dark Souls :) Got DS2 and DS3 installed ready for my eventual destruction of whomever the last boss is!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Maybe I can find some time to snak.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just finished The Pathless, it was decent. Turning basic movement into a sort of minigame works better than you might think, especially when you're chasing down a boss, and the whole thing has a faint Shadow of the Colossus vibe except with colors. You also have an eagle friend who you can pet

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hope everyone has a good weekend :)
What's everyone playing?
I've been going through Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (WHAT a cool title for a game) on the OG Xbox. It's one of my favourite games ever, the voice acting in it is A+. It's really interesting seeing the DNA of what would later appear in the new Wolfenstein games.

Got ghost of tsushima going, got a playthrough of lego harry potter with the wife that we're chipping away at for a hour every night or so and I'm thinking of starting another game to play in between GoT breaks, I've got a few indies that I could do.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Question for DQ11 - should I pour my skill points into a single weapon type per character (plus the skill tree that gives you global bonuses), or is there any merit to taking a little bit of everything from every tree? Do weapon trees give you global bonuses as well?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Darth Walrus posted:

Question for DQ11 - should I pour my skill points into a single weapon type per character (plus the skill tree that gives you global bonuses), or is there any merit to taking a little bit of everything from every tree? Do weapon trees give you global bonuses as well?

You want to focus on a single weapon to start but you can respec at trivial cost soon so don't worry about it too much. There are bonuses on each tree but I've not gotten to max level so I don't know if you can max everything. I'm guessing you can't but again, you really can't screw it up and not fix it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Darth Walrus posted:

You'll be able to get every skill except maybe three at max level without grinding more skill points so just safely ignore one weapon type.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
so in DS3 I think I might've killed Anri in the catacombs, is that bad? I accidentally led a bunch of skeletons to her and then in my attempt to escape fell to my death, and when I reloaded she was gone :ohdear:

also I got through Smouldering Lake and felt completely stuck, so I looked it up and turns out I managed to miss the Crystal Sage boss and the entire area past them!

Game owns, every area so far (besides the drat swamp) has been super fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it's bad if you were looking to complete his (or her) questline, but otherwise, it won't make a difference.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it's bad if you were looking to complete his (or her) questline, but otherwise, it won't make a difference.

Thanks. I'm not real concerned with finishing any particular questlines, Anri just seemed like an important character. If I play through again I'll be more careful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Thanks. I'm not real concerned with finishing any particular questlines, Anri just seemed like an important character. If I play through again I'll be more careful.
No problem. Don't worry, there's nobody you can run into out there in the world who would break the game if they died on you. The quests in DS3 (as in all Dark Souls games) are easily derailed and often finicky, so it's completely normal to fail them somewhere in the middle your first time around.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

VideoGames posted:

Also still playing Dark Souls :) Got DS2 and DS3 installed ready for my eventual destruction of whomever the last boss is!

They’re both really good. I’ve beaten 3 like 8 times now and I still go back like once a year because exploring that game is weirdly relaxing to me.

Also great club.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
I missed Bloodborne chat a few pages back but I recently watched a friend fight the Wet Nurse and it felt as exhilarating as the first time I fought it despite already doing it over half a dozen times myself. What a goddamn good game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rolo posted:

They’re both really good. I’ve beaten 3 like 8 times now and I still go back like once a year because exploring that game is weirdly relaxing to me.

Also great club.

If it was not for Dark Souls I would never play DS2 and DS3, and if not for Bloodborne I would never have started Dark Souls, and if not for some odd moment in my brain where I did a 'Homer Clown College' statement of "That does it! I am going to play Bloodborne" last month then I would still not understand the allure of these games :)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

If it was not for Dark Souls I would never play DS2 and DS3, and if not for Bloodborne I would never have started Dark Souls, and if not for some odd moment in my brain where I did a 'Homer Clown College' statement of "That does it! I am going to play Bloodborne" last month then I would still not understand the allure of these games :)

And if you (and Esco) hadn't said "that does it! I am going to play bloodborne" then I wouldn't have picked it back up and platted it :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

And if you (and Esco) hadn't said "that does it! I am going to play bloodborne" then I wouldn't have picked it back up and platted it :D

Truly Bloodborne is the greatest game of this generation :D I feel like going back to the beginning of this thread and looking for spoiler posts about it now!! haha

EDIT: Amazing, Bloodborne chat actually starts at the bottom of the first page and the thread OP is sick of it on page 2. I am in for a treat!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have watched probably 3 hours of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla video reviews. I started because I just wanted to find literally any reason to buy it for PS5, just looking for a big, long game to hold me over for SUPAH PORK 2077.

At this point I’m still watching them to see how hard they spitroast the game. I’ve never seen a AAA game so universally reviled and dunked on before. I feel like everyone sort of hates this game.

It’s also funny that the story mode is like 65-70 hours and the bugs are so bad. If only there was some compromise to make, like perhaps a shorter game with more time for Q&A? Probably impossible...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

At this point I’m still watching them to see how hard they spitroast the game. I’ve never seen a AAA game so universally reviled and dunked on before. I feel like everyone sort of hates this game.
Hardly, but I guess you're only seeing a fairly one-sided representation of it so far. A lot of people are somewhat disappointed with it, because it's very different from Odyssey in a way that a lot of people don't quite feel are an improvement. The bugs, of course, are a legitimate criticism and deserve the scorn they get, but to say that everyone who played it hates it would be an overstatement. It just isn't quite living up to the vastly excessive expectations many people had.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

(gently caress this took too long. don't use an ancient version of photoshop with a laptop touchpad)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I wish that story progression wasn't gated behind the combat in Aegis Rim. It just isn't particularly interesting or fun. I have to beat like 7 combat missions to move on and it's made the idea of playing that game feel like a chore where before it was something I looked forward to.

Guess I just need to buckle down and do it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ugh Yakuza 7. Got my rear end handed to me by a boss towards the late game and online says I need to grind up another 10 levels before trying again. I'm finding it hard to find the motivation.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Rinkles posted:

(gently caress this took too long. don't use an ancient version of photoshop with a laptop touchpad)

After the first 20 hours or so I thought it was pretty great and was enjoying it. If I was reviewing it I would have recommended it too. Not after another 20 hours or so I'm just more frustrated and annoyed with it then anything else. I still want to finish it but it feels like a chore now so I might just give up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you can get 20hours of fun out of a game then it’s good imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

If the first hour of a movie is good but the last hour of a movie is bad, I genuinely think of it as a bad movie. If the first hour of a movie is good and then it goes in for 2-3 more hours and just gets worse and worse it’s definitely a bad movie. Things should get better the longer they go on, not worse, IMO.

I know he’s been getting a lot of traction in the thread recently but I’ve been super into SkillUp lately. I think they do a superb job of 1) highlighting their personal biases and 2) I think they do a better job discussing the nuts and bolts of mechanics or game feel than basically anyone else in the biz at the moment. They hate this game, and the length is a basically the main factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HPNCA_XoBg

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

20 hours is more than 1hr tho

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Checks out

http://imgur.com/gallery/t6SzocB

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
"A good game to quit halfway through" kinda sounds like a game not worth playing

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

20 hours is more than 1hr tho

$70 is more than $10 or whatever a movie ticket costs

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

not 20 times more though

the numbers don't lie

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ll take your word for it, Professor

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gort posted:

"A good game to quit halfway through" kinda sounds like a game not worth playing
I quit most games halfway through, so as far a I'm concerned that would just make it average... but on the other hand, I have absolutely no interest in buying or playing Valhalla at any point, because it looks exactly the same as the two games before it but more boring, so I can't disagree with the overall sentiment of "spend the money on something better" either.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Game nicknames are getting out of control in this thread, which is why I'm not playing sniper crunk fenty 7-11 or lass passin' weed y'all holla

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll take your word for it, Professor

not funny any more

cop on

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bloodborne confirmed to be only 60% fun.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Bust Rodd posted:

I have watched probably 3 hours of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla video reviews. I started because I just wanted to find literally any reason to buy it for PS5, just looking for a big, long game to hold me over for SUPAH PORK 2077.

It’s also funny that the story mode is like 65-70 hours and the bugs are so bad. If only there was some compromise to make, like perhaps a shorter game with more time for Q&A? Probably impossible...

I'm either the luckiest PS4 owner around or all the frequent crashes are on PC or something because I've put in 80+ hours on my ancient white Destiny PS4 and have experienced like, eight crashes and a handful of minor bugs, and four of those crashes were on one quest. Of course, its possible that now that I'm near the endgame it will start constantly crashing like a Bethesda game on a PS3 but so far so good :shrug:

Anyway, game is good. Better than Odyssey, maybe better than Origins but I just liked the setting and flow of Origins so much I can't say for sure. I wouldn't buy it with less than a week until C2077 (I only bought it at all because C2077 was delayed and there was a preorder discount) but I would absolutely pick it up on what will likely be a Ubisoft sale in the next 1-2 months if you like AC games or vikings burning down hamlets at all.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

not funny any more

cop on

That’s not how tenure works, Professor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Bloodborne confirmed to be only 60% fun.

lol