Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Correct. That was :thejoke:.
thanks I'm not good at hockey history and just wanted to feel included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

We're at the "arguing over the definition of 'renegotiating'" phase of CBA discussions now.

quote:

“We’re not actually having negotiations and we’re not seeking to renegotiate,” Bettman said. “We made a number of assumptions collectively over the summer, most of which are not applicable anymore. … Whatever the revenues are, the players only get 50 percent. And if we overpay them and they don’t pay us back in the short term, they have to pay us back over time.

“There will be stresses on the system, and we’ve had discussions about what those stresses are, and how they might be dealt with. But we’re not trying to say, ‘You must do X, Y and Z.’ We’re trying to look for ways to continue to work together.”

https://theathletic.com/2235543/2020/12/02/nhl-season-nhlpa-negotiations-lebrun?source=user-shared-article

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It really is just bad faith by the owners because literally everyone outside of Trump said that things were going to get worse around this time of year and that even limited capacity was the best sports could hope for. To act like they didn’t see this coming is asinine.

Also gently caress the bootlickers who go off about how players make so much and how they’d play for free.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Does anyone have a link to the video of Mike Cammalleri introducing Tomas Plekanec as "numeray cathorse"? I swear the entire internet is trying to gaslight me into believing this never happened. Google returns exactly one result from this forum including cathorse and the forums search has a bunch more posts about m. cathorse but not the video itself.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Don't worry everyone there's a solution to the owners revenue problem!

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1334555404215463943

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1334567257557635072

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm not sure it fixes all or even most of the issues, but it's not the worst idea.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I am not a communicable disease expert but really the issue is just people congregating and allowing themselves to be put in a higher risk situation. So while studies have shown that when two people are wearing masks and in the open air with a few feet between them there is virtually no instances of contracting covid from that interaction, its more the issue that you're going to have people dropping masks/not wearing them at all for long stretches while they eat or drink or go take a poo poo.

On top of that by allowing fans into whatever outdoor stadium situation you're going to get people congregating beforehand. I'm sure in some of these cities bars will have heated patio areas that will be open. You'll have people in higher concentration taking public transit. I get that at the end of the day this is all about money, but it really doesn't feel to me like this is a worthwhile thought experiment at all. Just don't have fans. On top of all that if you're having an outdoor game theres a high chance in winter that these games get rained/sleet/snowed out too.

Just don't have loving fans.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rangers not gonna let Laf play at WJC

Playing hockey > sitting at home, but that's just me

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s possible they actually think they’ll be playing/in camp when the WJC is going on but that seems wildly optimistic at the moment.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

soggybagel posted:

I am not a communicable disease expert but really the issue is just people congregating and allowing themselves to be put in a higher risk situation. So while studies have shown that when two people are wearing masks and in the open air with a few feet between them there is virtually no instances of contracting covid from that interaction, its more the issue that you're going to have people dropping masks/not wearing them at all for long stretches while they eat or drink or go take a poo poo.

On top of that by allowing fans into whatever outdoor stadium situation you're going to get people congregating beforehand. I'm sure in some of these cities bars will have heated patio areas that will be open. You'll have people in higher concentration taking public transit. I get that at the end of the day this is all about money, but it really doesn't feel to me like this is a worthwhile thought experiment at all. Just don't have fans. On top of all that if you're having an outdoor game theres a high chance in winter that these games get rained/sleet/snowed out too.

Just don't have loving fans.

considering that the NHL revenues are much more dependent on live gate than the other 3 major US sports (see why the NBA is starting earlier is because of their boffo TV deal), it might have to be outdoor games for a few teams to at least get some money going thru and show good faith to the players that they'll get what they're owed.

another factor that works in the NBA's favor: their owners are, by and large, a LOT wealthier than NHL owners. now don't get me wrong they're all rich motherfuckers who deserve the chop, but people like Tom Stillman in STL, the Preds consortium, or the McDonnell estate who own CBJ are nowhere near sniffing the Three Commas Club. compare that to people like Wes Edens (hedge-fund billionaire), Vivek Ranadive (software billionaire), Tom Gores (more private equity $$$), and that's just small-market teams owners let alone the Steve Ballmers or Mickey Arisons of the league.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao outdoor games for anything more than one offs is insane and if that's the only way teams will play there won't be a season.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Outdoor games are still super spreader events and also the hockey isn't as good.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yes but have you considered the potential revenue?

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1334843530934710279?s=19

Maybe some hope? Although the last two lockouts taught me to never trust anyone ever.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 4, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Definitely do not trust Don Waddell.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

Outdoor games are still super spreader events and also the hockey isn't as good.

The hockey is dogshit OP

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Ah yes, it's understandable how Ranger fans in particular can be ambivalent about athletes developing a heart condition

:holymoley:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The hockey is dogshit OP

Counterpoint: the Oilers are assuredly a team looking at this and I'd love to see them pointlessly strap a 20 kilo anvil onto McDavid's back in the form of freezing temperatures and piss poor ice just so Katz can afford a few more LA mansions.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Counterpoint: the Oilers are assuredly a team looking at this and I'd love to see them pointlessly strap a 20 kilo anvil onto McDavid's back in the form of freezing temperatures and piss poor ice just so Katz can afford a few more LA mansions.

When Elias Petterson loses toes to frostbite at Commonwealth, you'll regret wishing this into existence.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

When Elias Petterson loses toes to frostbite at Commonwealth, you'll regret wishing this into existence.

Petey is immune to the cold.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CILtSClnyAj/?igshid=10jplcgpulptr

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/29/sports/hockey/nhl-lake-hockey-elias-pettersson.html

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/bardown/status/1334890604267008001?s=21

These own, let players put custom designs on their skates like cleats in the NFL. And give ovie his tinted visor back

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/bardown/status/1334890604267008001?s=21

These own, let players put custom designs on their skates like cleats in the NFL. And give ovie his tinted visor back

Those two suggestions sound dangerously close to "fun". Gotta slap that down asap.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The American flag is backwards. I hope someone was fired for this blunder.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Aphrodite posted:

The American flag is backwards. I hope someone was fired for this blunder.

Some military uniforms do it that way so it looks like it’s flying in the wind as they move or some poo poo like that :911:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

There's no point in risking injury or illness for a short tournament that's not going to help him prepare for the NHL

Last year he injured his knee but thankfully it wasn't serious. I imagine the Rangers are thinking about that and not wanting to risk it especially when the plan is still to have a NHL season.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
A whole lot of Canadians got red mad and nude on Twitter about them not letting Laf go. It was pretty funny.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Teams never let 1st overall picks play in these tournaments outside of lockout years I don’t know why people are making a big deal out of this. I mean I know why but still.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

A whole lot of Canadians got red mad and nude on Twitter about them not letting Laf go. It was pretty funny.

hold up

what

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Teams never let 1st overall picks play in these tournaments outside of lockout years I don’t know why people are making a big deal out of this. I mean I know why but still.
Well,

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

hold up

what

getting your dick out for a cause is a recent trend that the young folks do, about say 1651 days ago give or take a few hours, not too sure when the gorilla actually kicked it but you know.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

WeaponX posted:

That’s because they’re usually playing in the NHL though, which is reasonably. I don’t think any teams have stopped high picks from going to the WJC if they aren’t in the big leagues since playing in the WjC is better than a couple more weeks in Junior/NCAA/Europe.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

That’s because they’re usually playing in the NHL though, which is reasonably. I don’t think any teams have stopped high picks from going to the WJC if they aren’t in the big leagues since playing in the WjC is better than a couple more weeks in Junior/NCAA/Europe.

If things were normal and we weren’t in a global pandemic, he would be in the NHL and wouldn’t be playing in WJC. Thinking that would change for anything but a lockout is silly.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
An outdoor game where McDavid hits a rut and tears his ACL would be good.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

WeaponX posted:

The owners sure are trying to make this a lockout year tho

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

look we need to win this year of the WJC like we do basically every other year, it is VERY IMPORTANT

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah I wonder what's different about this year

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
There is deffo some sort of weird-rear end kink with respect to Canadians watching the World Juniors :tinfoil:; I've never understood it.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Even if the season isn't starting until later, they're expecting training camp to start on the 1st. The WJHC runs through the 5th and a player ought to quarantine before rejoining his NHL club. It couldn't have worked.

Will laugh once the season is inevitably locked out.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

MoaM posted:

There is deffo some sort of weird-rear end kink with respect to Canadians watching the World Juniors :tinfoil:; I've never understood it.

It's just the right amount of skill and competitive balance. Every year you are sure to see some of the following
- very good games between very good teams
- very huge murderings between last year's D1 team and whoever their opponent is
- very close games between teams that, on paper, shouldn't be close (usually Switzerland for some reason)
- a european goalie goes .980 and develops a cult following, willing his team to a medal game. after the tournament they are never heard from again (except Petr Mrazek, he broke the rule)
- a critically important game with a ridiculous finish

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
It's a fine tourney but too many people care way too much about who wins.

The '05 lockout is the last time I remember paying close attention to pool standings and whatnot, otherwise I just watch whoever happens to be playing and root for underdogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
The world juniors became really big (from what I remember) during the 05 lockout year. Canadians needed hockey to watch and the media needed content. Because of the lockout the talent level was really high. The final was Canada (with Crosby, Bergeron, Mike Richards, Weber, etc) against Russia (with Ovechkin, Malkin, Kuznetsov, Radulov etc).

And that was the start of Canada winning five in a row so Canadians got hooked.

Also for me, short tournaments are perfect to watch. I don't really follow tennis, golf, basketball etc. But I will watch tournament play for big events or playoffs.