Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

fool of sound posted:

Yeah and the improved input buffering in the latest patch makes it feel a lot less janky.

I just wish the special refreshed the number of charges for attack/cast damage. As it is now, if you use the special while you still have some charges left you will still have that same number of charges left until you spend them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Spear is actually amazing; get Artemis dash + the 3-hit dash upgrade and go berserk. Poseidon attack on top of that lets you just slam everything into corners for hundreds of DPS. If you're lucky Chaos will have some other +dash attack boons and you can REALLY mulch things.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
"A specific combo makes a weapon really good" does not mean "the weapon is really good", especially when a key element is a particular hammer upgrade, which unlike boons you can't manipulate.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I suck at the game but it's comforting to know that simply plugging away will still help unlock stuff to make future runs a little more forgiving.

Lucky Tooth would be much more useful if it was your 'first' life, not your last. So you could switch to another keepsake after it procced. Though between Charon well item, chaos boon, and the guy that resets your death defied stacks I suppose you can accumulate quite a lot of 1-ups along the way

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mary had a little clam posted:

People haven't been too hot on the Hidden Bow aspect, but I took it for a spin and kinda liked it. It's not a top tier bow, but I basically used the Special as a machine gun (with Hangover on it in my case). I didn't get the massive bursts of damage like with Chiron, but I could also spam a little bit more easily.

I've now cleared runs with every hidden aspect except the Hidden Spear and MAN does that look like a lovely time without upgrades.

Hidden bow is cool. Tag a bunch of enemies once with special, line up a good attack to hit multiple enemies and do thousands of damage. Some hammers make it ridiculous especially when you can make your attack stronger

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

fool of sound posted:

"A specific combo makes a weapon really good" does not mean "the weapon is really good", especially when a key element is a particular hammer upgrade, which unlike boons you can't manipulate.

I think spear is actually the weapon that suffers the most from this. Different spears want very specific boon/hammer combos that can be ridiculous and if you don’t get them you might as well use another weapon

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fool of sound posted:

Zeus cast carries you thru Tartarus and Asphodel with Achilles, and by the time you get to Elysium it's not that hard to have Flurry Jab or Triple Jab for good dash-attacks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Wow, you guys weren't kidding. Once you beat Hades once it really opens up. The very next run I played with 1 Heat and beat him with the Sword. Aphrodite's call really made all the difference, combined with auto-gaining the god meter. Kept taking like 25% life each time I used it. Had doom on attack, weak on special, and deflect on dash.

Game felt... easier all of a sudden?

Game is also really really awesome.

Lastly, I now can afford to unlock the administrative chamber, is that worth it or should I use the diamonds for some of those features that give you extra POM when receiving nectar or health when you get darkness from the house contractor?

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 4, 2020

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think spear is actually the weapon that suffers the most from this. Different spears want very specific boon/hammer combos that can be ridiculous and if you don’t get them you might as well use another weapon

Hades spear can take just about any hammer and have a good time, they just need to take out trashy hammers like triple jab, flaring spin, and chain skewer and replace them with things that are actually helpful.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

once I have taken a gods boon, should I be focused on more boons from that god? I’ve noticed that Zeus particularly can stack synergy on his lightning leaps.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Does Demeter need to be unlocked later on somehow? That's the only set of boons I haven't seen so far.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there's a max of three levels of boon i think; like, some have prequisites, and some of those prerequisites sometimes have prerequisites. you might want to focus for that reason

for the most part, zeus is quite mono-maniac on the lightning - other gods, they're less single-focus. it's generally good to spread out imo.

e: yes. keep playing, get to the final boss

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I still haven't gotten a legendary boon, gotten some duos though. I beat the minotaur in Elysium and got crushed by the arrow dude, it was with the sword. I don't have a ton of sticktoitness with games like this, except for some reason I came back to Isaac and played it way more than I ever imagined, but I like really want to feel like I'm OP in this game and it's taunting me because I suck and need more titan blood LOL.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

RandomFerret posted:

What are you gonna do to afford it, hope a pool of purging shows up in every room? broke rear end

:qq: i only had 90 coins but it was a four chamber sack with an elite coin room (and a chaos boon for some percent more) so I got all the boons and the pom. However I was using Achilles spear with mirage shot so all the Zeus stuff really was irrelevant. Thank you for reading my post

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DCjunkC6GE

AFK Hades win :stare:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Just made it to Patroclus near death after Minotaur fight, accidentally doubled tapped through dialog and selected reward on accident, but luckily it was the restore all defy deaths, so now i'm flush with life near going into boss fight, so I may make it to next level after all lol.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

once I have taken a gods boon, should I be focused on more boons from that god? I’ve noticed that Zeus particularly can stack synergy on his lightning leaps.

A god's boons are typically made to synergize with picking up more boons from the same god. Zeus is a very good example of wanting to go all in on a god if you start with them. However some gods don't work too well in that manner such as Ares, where since he has two effects, Doom and Blades, if you want to run Ares, pick one to focus on and use other gods to fill in the blanks.

Panfilo posted:

Does Demeter need to be unlocked later on somehow? That's the only set of boons I haven't seen so far.

You'll unlock her naturally through play as you get farther and farther into the game.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
drat Aphrodite, I was so focused on trying to shoot Hades with your 2500 damage that I didn't even notice that skull with like 200 health sitting over there, I'm glad you shot that one instead!!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The auto targeting can be a bit annoying especially when the vases show up and my rockets suddenly veer into the far left away from dad.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Zeus and Poseidon are two gods that really reward going all in as (other than Poseidon's :20bux: boons) successive boons tend to just make what you're doing better. And their duo boon lets you have both of their effects at once! I doubt it's optimal but Sea Storm on basically any weapon will poo poo out damage, especially if you're lucky enough to get one or both of their legendaries.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Going all in on Demeter can be rewarding too. You've got the boon that decays enemies when they all have chill, and the one that blasts them at full chill. That puts out a lot of damage, although the second one clears the status, so you have to make sure you keep on applying it, which would encourage you to max out on chill sources, so you can just apply it everywhere as much as possible... I haven't found the legendary yet, but it looks like it would make all this stuff go even harder

It's probably not close to the raw damage output of full Zeus, but it cripples all enemies in the meantime and just applies the damage more widely and slowly

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Demeter is solid because in addition to the frost novas and more or less constant decay damage on bosses, her base multipliers are very high and chill is an extremely long debuff, which makes it very easy to maintain Privileged Status. Also speed down is a very powerful effect. Her legendary is kinda underwhelming by comparison, though it feels really cool to use it on bosses. She does have a couple bad passives and her cast needs a lot of work to be usable though.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I got a demeter cast on heroic plus a few poms and increased cast time leveled up and a bonus shard from chaos as well. Just fired and forgot, things melted.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fool of sound posted:

Demeter is solid because in addition to the frost novas and more or less constant decay damage on bosses, her base multipliers are very high and chill is an extremely long debuff, which makes it very easy to maintain Privileged Status. Also speed down is a very powerful effect

yeah for people who have trouble timing the dodges on theseus or hades, having frost up (10 stacks is 40% slowdown) is hugely helpful. got some of my first wins in part due to that

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've realized the reason I hate the shield so much is because its basic aytacjhas knockback. Why do I want a Melle weapkn that naturally pushes enemies out of its own range. The double hit boon that takes away knockback is the only thing that makes it useful in my runs.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Demeter + Aphrodite makes it ridiculously easy to keep up Privileged.

I think what's just soured me on spear is that my playstyle tends to be 'run in and go ham when I can within reasonable distance while spamming Y/X/B' and the spear is too sluggish to support that playstyle and doesn't do enough damage either to tag and run. I had similar issues with the rail but getting cluster rockets is extremely rewarding and the base attack is fast enough that a decent Zeus build can make up for it.

I haven't really found a spear build where it's clicked and felt satisfying yet.

ilmucche posted:

I've realized the reason I hate the shield so much is because its basic aytacjhas knockback. Why do I want a Melle weapkn that naturally pushes enemies out of its own range. The double hit boon that takes away knockback is the only thing that makes it useful in my runs.

The sword does the same thing too, it's just that it only knockbacks on the third hit and dash attack. Also knockbacks are meant to help with wall slams.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 5, 2020

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
When you hit them out of range, just hold in the attack and start a charge to go through them

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

ilmucche posted:

If you push enemies into stuff they take extra damage, so leveraging that is really effective on weapons with basic knockback. Throw in poseidon for more pushing and his "on wall slam do aoe dmg" and you've got a solid base of a build for quickly beating the game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Everybody needs to watch this, if for no other reason than to finally be able to hear Dad's voice lines without grunts and shouts all over them.

And Homer comes in with the perfect line at the end

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

fool of sound posted:

Demeter is solid because in addition to the frost novas and more or less constant decay damage on bosses, her base multipliers are very high and chill is an extremely long debuff, which makes it very easy to maintain Privileged Status. Also speed down is a very powerful effect. Her legendary is kinda underwhelming by comparison, though it feels really cool to use it on bosses. She does have a couple bad passives and her cast needs a lot of work to be usable though.

Her duo with Artemis makes the crystal lasers track a hell of a lot better and kicks a lot of rear end

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Her duo with Artemis makes the crystal lasers track a hell of a lot better and kicks a lot of rear end

Yeah, I'm pretty strongly of the opinion that without the Artemis or Aphrodite duos Demeter cast is mostly useless, but with them it's extremely solid.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I understand the spear hate, but I dunno. It's still my favorite weapon. It's just so easy to play cautiously and avoid taking damage. I do agree that the charge is worthless/a trap most of the time, though. My favorite is probably just the basic Zag spear, just because it's got a really good toss, but Achilles Spear and Hades Spear are both good for certain builds, and Guan Yu is great for dealing heavy damage from a safe distance.

It's the fists that I don't understand why people love. You have to be so close, I can't help but constantly take damage.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Spear is good.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

This has been said many times, but... One of the indicators that this game is well balanced is that people come to this thread all the time and make sweeping statements about how these boons, weapons, aspects, whatever suck poo poo while these other ones are totally OP and fun. And everybody has different ones on their list.

Certain things will work well with your playstyle and preferences without much effort, but almost everything can be pretty powerful if you take some time to think about the implications of what it's offering you. ...

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's funny, because I also like the spear, but I never, ever use special. Hades aspect, triple slash hammer, I'm never more than ten pixels away from the enemy

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I have gotten to the point where I can pretty reliably beat Theseus and his pal, even with the fists (my worst weapon). Hades is still a challenge but I have faith I'll get him soon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What are good calls to work with Beowulf? I tried Demeter (the crystals just instantly explode after I rush) and Zeus (I usually end up pushing them out of the blast).

GlyphGryph posted:

I understand the spear hate, but I dunno. It's still my favorite weapon. It's just so easy to play cautiously and avoid taking damage. I do agree that the charge is worthless/a trap most of the time, though. My favorite is probably just the basic Zag spear, just because it's got a really good toss, but Achilles Spear and Hades Spear are both good for certain builds, and Guan Yu is great for dealing heavy damage from a safe distance.

It's the fists that I don't understand why people love. You have to be so close, I can't help but constantly take damage.

Fists are extremely fast, you can pile on damage pretty quickly, and it's pretty easy to weave in specials and dash strikes. They go really well with most boons but Poseidon allows you to slam things into walls repeatedly, and with Demeter/Dio you can very quickly rack up full stacks. Whenever I use fists I just grab the Lambent Plume and I can easily get over 20% speed and dodge by Hades, which means Hermes boons are even better.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

What are good calls to work with Beowulf? I tried Demeter (the crystals just instantly explode after I rush) and Zeus (I usually end up pushing them out of the blast).

You mean casts?

I think Dio with casts on a timer are the best for Beowolf personally. If you get extra bloodstones from Chaos and get duos it just absolutely wrecks.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Aphrodite cast with Demeter or anyone who applies a status effect on attack. Huge damage and can instantly trigger Privileged Status once it’s set up.

bon ape tit
Aug 7, 2011

For the longest time I struggled to incorporate the cast successfully so I just ended up ignoring it all together. Figured I'd invest some blood into the Poseidon sword aspect and try out some cast-focused builds and now they're just the most fun thing ever.

This run in particular was so drat awesome. Lightning Phalanx and Hermes legendary is pure easy mode and yet extremely satisfying. I love being able to stand in a corner and just nuke the poo poo out of everything on and off the screen while my cast ammo flies its way back over to me from all over the map.

bon ape tit fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Well, I made it to Hades, somehow got an extra revive right before, I got him down to 1/4 of his bar, and this archer dude spawned and kept hitting me from behind. It was with a chaos shield. I was so convinced I was gonna win, ugh, really held my own for the first half of his health bar, ugh.