Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

I've got a WWE question and you guys seem to be the most knowledgable.

My youngest son loves wrestling. He knows the names of the guys and their back stories, he has the video game, etc, etc. I know nothing. I grew up with macho man and hulk hogan and haven't paid any attention to it in a loong time.

What is a good recommendation for a current wrestling dvd for an 11 year old? Is there a good one that isn't just a bunch of random matches?

Do you know if he strictly enjoys WWE, or does he also watch AEW that comes on TNT Wednesday night? AEW doesn't have much in the way of DVDs that aren't just matches though they do have cool action figures.

Is he a WWE network subscriber? If not that could be your best bet more so than a DVD as they have thousands of hours of content, wrestling shows and documentaries about the wrestlers, and lots of other shows too. Generally speaking if your son has specific wrestlers he's into it'd be easier to point you in a better direction for specific DVDs that might be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Eat My Fuc posted:

Do you know if he strictly enjoys WWE, or does he also watch AEW that comes on TNT Wednesday night? AEW doesn't have much in the way of DVDs that aren't just matches though they do have cool action figures.

Is he a WWE network subscriber? If not that could be your best bet more so than a DVD as they have thousands of hours of content, wrestling shows and documentaries about the wrestlers, and lots of other shows too. Generally speaking if your son has specific wrestlers he's into it'd be easier to point you in a better direction for specific DVDs that might be cool.

Ok, I'll snoop around a bit and get back with you.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just get him an AEW DVD, if he's not a fan yet he will be after

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rarity posted:

Just get him an AEW DVD, if he's not a fan yet he will be after

Specifically AEW Revolution from this year

There's video packages before every match to catch him up on the story going into it.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

write "randy orton died, but this was his favorite wrestling show" on a little slip of paper to put inside the dvd case

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chris Jericho the person is trash but I'm a hopeless mark for Chris Jericho the wrestler

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Specifically AEW Revolution from this year

There's video packages before every match to catch him up on the story going into it.

As much as we love AEW and have ethical problems with WWE, I don't think it's a good idea to get an AEW DVD with the explanation of "the guys on the internet said it was better". If he hasn't heard of AEW then a couple of months of WWE Network subscription should be a good gift

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

As much as we love AEW and have ethical problems with WWE, I don't think it's a good idea to get an AEW DVD with the explanation of "the guys on the internet said it was better". If he hasn't heard of AEW then a couple of months of WWE Network subscription should be a good gift

Yeah, I hate WWE as much as anyone but trying to evangelize an 11 year old through their parents' gift questions is probably not gonna work out for anyone. Just figure out what he likes and get him some of that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i thought the network was free now

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

From good content, yeah

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

There's a free tier, I think it gives you access to some of the documentaries and a few weeks of the most recent archived shows and that's about it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, he says currently he likes Brawn Stawman? But says he's a butthead because he flipped over an ambulance. Of all time he says Hulk Hogan is his favorite.

Is this the AEW dvd you were recommending? https://www.shopaew.com/dvds/revolution-february-29-2020-dvd.html

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Brawn flipping the ambulance absolutely did rule.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, he says currently he likes Brawn Stawman? But says he's a butthead because he flipped over an ambulance. Of all time he says Hulk Hogan is his favorite.

Is this the AEW dvd you were recommending? https://www.shopaew.com/dvds/revolution-february-29-2020-dvd.html

Yea that’s the one that was recommended. It’s a great wrestling show, something he may grow to really enjoy. I don’t know if Braun has his own DVD but the WWE Network definitely has some specials focused on Braun Strowman that were well received by fans of his. If Hulk is his favorite there’s definitely some DVDs out there of his WWE and WCW stuff and lots of content on the aforementioned network.

If he’s a video game player WWE just released a game called Battlegrounds that while not my cup of tea may be fun for a kid his age.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

spacetoaster posted:

yeah, revolution is a good one

honestly you might consider getting two dvds, one of wrestlers he knows (like braawwwwnnn stroooomaannnn) and that one

in general AEW is the better product and I wouldn't know where to start with a good start to finish recent show would be to pick up for WWE

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, the WWE Network thing makes sense. A gift card that gives him 2-3 months gets him tons of choices to look for what he likes assuming he has some kind of device to watch on. The AEW show is one card, half a dozen matches. Maybe he'll like it and maybe you'll expose him to something he doesn't know. But like, he also might hate it and never watch it again. And its a product that definitely leans towards older/more knowledgeable fans.

But also I've never thought buying wrestling show dvds were worthwhile purchases so I'm biased.

Another time I would have suggested Chikara for a kid that age. But well... that didn't end well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I'd say a purchase of at least a month of the WWE Network would be best - he can hunt through a bunch of stuff and watch a ton of shows in that time, and it'll be easy for him to track down his favorites.

If you're going the DVD route, it might be cool to get him something outside of WWE (like AEW) but then you run the risk that he just looks at it and goes,"What's this?" which might not be a gamble you want to take.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 4, 2020

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Yeah, as much as I love AEW I wouldn’t get an 11year old WWE fan one of their DVDs unless it was part of a larger wrestling related gift with stuff they already like as part of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like if you could give him a grab bag of stuff he could pick and choose from, but that would be costly and still no guarantee he just doesn't dismiss it as the off brand version of what he wanted.

There's a bunch of other wrestling streaming services and you could probably give him like a "grab bag" of months of different ones if you really wanted to. That would be a ton of content for him to sort through and maybe find something he likes at minimal cost. I'm not well versed enough on the different services to say what's out there, but like a month for WWE, NJPW, Impact, whatever gives him stuff to play with. But I don't know what you'd have to worry about as far as content appropriate to his age.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
WWE network + WWE Battlegrounds for real like if that is what he stated he likes and doesn't have that already. AEW is fun and all but it isn't something I would really just drop on a kid unless the expressed interest in it just because at that age kids tend to like what they like.

If you do get him the network and you were a Macho Man fan and he likes Hulk Hogan you can watch the whole Mega Powers exploding storyline together at the very least!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Tell him that American wrestling is for babies and get him a subscription to New Japan

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This is every parent who ever walked into a video game or comic or record store and said "what would my kid like?" to some nerd behind the counter who preceded to tell the parent why the stuff their kid likes is lame and for kids.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The one warning I'd give with the WWE Network is that it has everything on it which means not all of its for kids. I think they've censored some old stuff but just an FYI.

When/If house shows and live audiences start up again that'd be a great future gift too. There's really nothing like watching wrestling in person, even if it's just a local indie.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh, if Braun's his favorite the safe thing might be merch: https://shop.wwe.com/braun-strowman/

A mix of like a shirt or action figure and the WWE sub could be a good gift.

As far as AEW, they're really good but I feel like everything that makes them really good is just poo poo adults care about and if your kid stays a wrestling fan they'll eventually learn about it and either become a fan on their own or won't. It's like if you came in here asking about Digimon and we all said "Get him pokemon, pokemon is better". Sure it's better but it's not what the kid likes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, AEW is deep history and familiarity and love for decades and continents of wrestling. Giving a kid who watches WWE a random show that pays off a bunch of things they don't know with a bunch of people they don't know is probably not gonna work. Its fine if its a secondary gift of "you like that so here's some other stuff you might like." But its not the stuff he wanted.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there should be a line of wwe jobber wrestler toys that are designed to explode to pieces upon impact like the incredible crash dummies and an oversized braun strowman and goldberg piece could be one of the playsets you buy to break them

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

there should be a line of wwe jobber wrestler toys that are designed to explode to pieces upon impact like the incredible crash dummies and an oversized braun strowman and goldberg piece could be one of the playsets you buy to break them

WWE announces the NXT performance center line of action figures with real exploding knee caps

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think it's more just 'people don't really think wwe is in a recommendable place right now and would rather recommend a different show that you might genuinely be interested in watching with your kid'

he's 11, he might not even have very strong opinions about wwe other than 'this is what i know is wrestling' and might appreciate knowing there's more places to look

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

spacetoaster posted:

I've got a WWE question and you guys seem to be the most knowledgable.

My youngest son loves wrestling. He knows the names of the guys and their back stories, he has the video game, etc, etc. I know nothing. I grew up with macho man and hulk hogan and haven't paid any attention to it in a loong time.

What is a good recommendation for a current wrestling dvd for an 11 year old? Is there a good one that isn't just a bunch of random matches?

This is a super tough question. I would honestly say that this is probably the worst group of people you could ask because we're all loving wrestling nerds. I watch almost exclusively Japanese wrestling, I don't keep up with the WWE. BUT if you were going to get the kid one DVD/Blu Ray of current WWE then when I go back to the distant days of me getting into wrestling in 1991/92 the show I loved more than anything was the Royal Rumble. So my gut instinct would be to recommend a recent Royal Rumble on DVD. From what I've read I think you could go with 2018 or 2020 & I'm sure your kid will be delighted.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JOHN CENA posted:

God made dollar store and drug store knockoffs for "jobbers" and cannon fodder play.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Get the kid the macho Man DVD anyway, macho Man rules

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

God made dollar store and drug store knockoffs for "jobbers" and cannon fodder play.

i love knockoff wrestling figs

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

rotinaj posted:

Get the kid the macho Man DVD anyway, macho Man rules

And then when the kid finishes, break the news that Macho's dead.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

and hulk hogans the one who killed him!!!!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

forkboy84 posted:

This is a super tough question. I would honestly say that this is probably the worst group of people you could ask because we're all loving wrestling nerds. I watch almost exclusively Japanese wrestling, I don't keep up with the WWE. BUT if you were going to get the kid one DVD/Blu Ray of current WWE then when I go back to the distant days of me getting into wrestling in 1991/92 the show I loved more than anything was the Royal Rumble. So my gut instinct would be to recommend a recent Royal Rumble on DVD. From what I've read I think you could go with 2018 or 2020 & I'm sure your kid will be delighted.

the other good thing about the Royal Rumble is that it will have a whole bunch of guys on there, which is good if he's still picking out favourites. And as you say the Rumble match itself is always fun.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Counterpoint to all these posts: AEW has a wrestling dinosaur :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

The one warning I'd give with the WWE Network is that it has everything on it which means not all of its for kids. I think they've censored some old stuff but just an FYI.

I think there is a parental controls section that will allow you to require a password to watch anything deemed inappropriate?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I think there is a parental controls section that will allow you to require a password to watch anything deemed inappropriate?

There are, but i'm not sure how good they work the app can be kind of a mess.

You know what would be cool for the kid, a Braun Strowman cameo, too bad WWE doesn't let their contractors make outside money!

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

giving an 11 year old free reign of a service with attitude era stuff on it with no supervision is kind of questionable, so I'd recommend going through with him if you go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rarity posted:

Counterpoint to all these posts: AEW has a wrestling dinosaur :colbert:

WWE is RUN by a wrestling dinosaur. :colbert: