Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I liked Apocalypse and Rise of Skywalker myself. That aside, it seems that the scale is always pure shite or good on forums. Can't something fall in the middle. I for one concur Oscar is a lucky charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SeANMcBAY posted:

Did you not see the last Star Wars movie?

I don't think Oscar anticipated the third movie in the 3 picture deal he signed 5 years earlier being poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

site posted:

I don't think Oscar anticipated the third movie in the 3 picture deal he signed 5 years earlier being poo poo

He knew it was a Star Wars movie! :v:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

ImpAtom posted:

How quickly we forget X-Men Apocalypse.

I regretted my post immediately! But I was thinking of the Star Wars movies, which I'm giving him a pass on because I understand just wanting to be in Star Wars.

But yeah, X-Men. Yikes.

MOST of his movies are good though. And he's good in them.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I don't understand people who are underwhelmed by the Isaac casting, he's an incredible actor and a ton of fun in just about everything (let's just agree to forget about Apocalypse). The concept of a MGS movie is suspect to begin with and it will probably be bad, but Isaac's casting is just about the best you can do. The only way an MGS movie works is to operate on a very self aware level, and I think Isaac can pull that off. I have my doubts about Vogt-Roberts though.

(my first choice for Snake would have been Karl Urban circa 15 years ago)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think it's a great choice too. Reminds me a bit of when Christian Bale was cast as Batman. Known for American Psycho, a great actor, a bit known for eccentric roles and dramas etc. Though Isaac has more blockbuster stuff under his belt already.

I don't think it needs to be self-aware overall (Mantis aside), but tone is a very personal and subjective thing. I'll say, being that I'm watching classic Gundam at the moment etc, for me it really works when something over-the-top does wear it's heart on it's sleeve. I think an earnest MGS would work.

Or, I guess, the classic way of doing it in Japan for games and anime is both super serious earnest drama, and very kooky great humor in equal measure. But the drama still can still be serious. Taking outrageous things seriously is part of the magic I think. If the movie doesn't make me tear up, they're not doing MGS right.

Karl Urban does rule, and he has played another famous clone! (Judge Joe Dredd)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

site posted:

I have 2 questions

Does he get to wear sunglasses and a blonde wig for the miller codecs

Do they recast with keifer for 5

Lol that you think there will be a second of these

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

I don't understand people who are underwhelmed by the Isaac casting, he's an incredible actor and a ton of fun in just about everything (let's just agree to forget about Apocalypse). The concept of a MGS movie is suspect to begin with and it will probably be bad, but Isaac's casting is just about the best you can do. The only way an MGS movie works is to operate on a very self aware level, and I think Isaac can pull that off. I have my doubts about Vogt-Roberts though.

(my first choice for Snake would have been Karl Urban circa 15 years ago)

Yeah I have a thousand doubts about the MGS movie but this casting decision is fine by me.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I’m even a bit skeptical this is actually getting made, I’ll believe it when they start filming

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVToF1gHapc

Oscar Isaac is a phenomenally talented actor and the best casting you could hope for. V good omen imo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVToF1gHapc

Oscar Isaac is a phenomenally talented actor and the best casting you could hope for. V good omen imo.

Yeah casting him as Snake is definitely not something to worry about here.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Eh, Solid Snake specifically? Not so keen. He's wonderful, one of my favourite actors, and I'd totally cast him as Naked Snake/Big Boss since he's more of a goofball. I'd rather someone with a better quiet presence, but I hope to be proven wrong!

Honestly, my dream casting would be to get Pierce Brosnan for Solid and Daniel Craig for Liquid. The only issue is Brosnan especially is pretty drat old.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I hope he also plays Liquid Snake so he can do dual performances as stoic/hammy as gently caress

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

I hope he also plays Liquid Snake so he can do dual performances as stoic/hammy as gently caress

I would love it if that were the case. He'd be a much better Liquid than a Solid.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Please please PLEASE have the last scene of the movie be the phone call to President Oscar Isaac

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Honestly, my dream casting would be to get Pierce Brosnan for Solid and Daniel Craig for Liquid. The only issue is Brosnan especially is pretty drat old.

Problem: Clones must look the same, otherwise the central concept is wasted
Solution: Cast Oscar Isaac as all four OG Snakes Use Cloud Atlas technology

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Problem: Clones must look the same, otherwise the central concept is wasted
Solution: Cast Oscar Isaac as all four OG Snakes Use Cloud Atlas technology

Well, Liquid should look different at least, otherwise you lose out on his whole dumbass dominant/recessive genes motivation, which remains hilarious to this day.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Well, Liquid should look different at least, otherwise you lose out on his whole dumbass dominant/recessive genes motivation, which remains hilarious to this day.

Aren't they the same character model in the end though? I thought it was just hair and codec sunglasses early on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Meryl mistakes snake for liquid when they first met so they can't look all that dissimilar

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Aren't they the same character model in the end though? I thought it was just hair and codec sunglasses early on.

They have similar features, but have a very different physique, which is much more apparent in Shinkawa's concept art. I think Twin Snakes had them as identical, but MGS1's too low detail to really tell. I always got the impression that they look very clearly related when put side by side, but distinct enough when separate, which feeds the twist(?) that they're both Big Boss clones.

site posted:

Meryl mistakes snake for liquid when they first met so they can't look all that dissimilar

She also corrects herself, rather than being corrected, unlike the whole Solid/Solidus thing in MGS2, which is even funnier considering Solidus was literally the President of the United States.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 5, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm reminded of the old hardcore MGS nerd debates about Snake's hair color.

-Why would Snake insist on cutting his hair so as not to be mistaken for Liquid if his hair is naturally dark brown to Liquid's blond?
-His hair looks blond in the MGS1 Briefings but maybe that's just the video filter
-Blond hair is a recessive trait

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

NikkolasKing posted:

-Blond hair is a recessive trait

Don't tell Liquid that...

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I think I’ll have a better feel for the tone of the movie when they cast Ocelot.

Doug Jones will be Mantis.

They for sure will cast someone else as Liquid because them being clones and brothers is the big twist.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Doug Jones will be Mantis.

That's so perfect my mind immediately tried to be like "Oh yeah, I always thought that"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Doug Jones has been the #1 fan casting choice for Mantis basically since the game released, and they're not wrong.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's so perfect my mind immediately tried to be like "Oh yeah, I always thought that"

That's just the mind tricks

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/_pocketknives/status/1334981537729753090

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I feel like an amalgamation of the msx metal gears would be a better premise for a movie. edit: with the canon of 1 and 3 in mind.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 5, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Solid Snake isn’t generic but he is pretty plain so even ignoring that good actors can be ruined by a bad script and director I’d hang my hat on who are playing FOXHOUND more than anything.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I'm really hoping the MGS movie is just a cool spy flick about genetic technology and nuclear disarmament, and not a superhero film to set up a cinematic universe.

Also I hope Oscar reads up on Snake and realizes Hayter was just trying to do Clint Eastwood while he had a cold, and that's how the character should be played.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I want a cinematic universe (or preferably a show) but I know they won’t because what they’d need for a cinematic universe would either be painfully generic or all weebed up to the point it would alienate American audiences.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

I want a cinematic universe (or preferably a show) but I know they won’t because what they’d need for a cinematic universe would either be painfully generic or all weebed up to the point it would alienate American audiences.

I’d prefer a set number of films or limited run series, some way where the writers know what story they want to tell and then get out when they’re done. ~*cInEmAtIc UnIvErSeS*~ and shows often have the problem of starting with a strong story but end up with a status quo that never changes because oh hey, everyone is signed on for the fourth season or fifth movie so you can’t really disrupt the setting or character group significantly, or if you do it gets reversed in short order. If you know you’re only doing 20 episodes you can do some cataclysmic stuff because you don’t have to worry about the next year’s feature.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

+1 joke reply that Oscar Isaac is great for Naked Snake/Big Boss but terrible for Solid Snake as both Big Boss and Oscar Isaac clearly gently caress (see previous footage of Isaac's dancing in Automata) but Solid Snake doesn't.

An ending/stinger showing that the President of the United States is clearly another Enfants Terrible clone would be hilarious. Or horrendously confusing for those not in the know and a terrible idea money-wise.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

1. This is Solid Snake we're talking about here. A little respect would be appropriate.

2. I've seen a lot of this talk of one of the greatest men in video game history "not loving", and I feel it's just not in proper taste.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
His Snake is Solid because he never gets any action.

Assuming this movie is a success, what I'm really looking forward to is the BTS from the second movie, where Kojima has been brought in for casting and insists on seeing all the potential Raiden actors doing naked one handed cartwheels.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

K8.0 posted:

His Snake is Solid because he never gets any action.

Assuming this movie is a success, what I'm really looking forward to is the BTS from the second movie, where Kojima has been brought in for casting and insists on seeing all the potential Raiden actors doing naked one handed cartwheels.

Grmmmm.... Otacon... the forums... they're roasting my ding dong.... on the battlefield... and I choose the future... of my pee-pee...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LashLightning posted:

+1 joke reply that Oscar Isaac is great for Naked Snake/Big Boss but terrible for Solid Snake as both Big Boss and Oscar Isaac clearly gently caress (see previous footage of Isaac's dancing in Automata) but Solid Snake doesn't.

This doesn't jive. I'll never forget how awkward Big Boss was with Eva in that cave. I do however recall Solid Snake successfully hitting on Mei Ling, Naomi and he successfully seduced Meryl, who was said to given psychotherapy to literally destroy her interest in men.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I thought we established they had to clone Big Boss because his crippling fear of relationships negated any chance of natural offspring

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I thought we established they had to clone Big Boss because his crippling fear of relationships negated any chance of natural offspring

No, they had to clone him because his nards got irradiated by nuclear bomb testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

No, they had to clone him because his nards got irradiated by nuclear bomb testing.

Propaganda to hide a legend's weakness from the world