Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, I just want robot buddy back. Stop making me use characters I never use in incredibly high level missions

I literally cleared Invading Terrors 17 Guardian enemies as Mipha with no time left on the clock. I managed to input a finisher right at 0:00 to kill 2 at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Ugh, I just want robot buddy back. Stop making me use characters I never use in incredibly high level missions

Everyone must do their part. :colbert:

In other news, I've discovered even more evidence that Teba is a merciless death machine that bows before neither kings nor gods; Mid-air attack damage is one of the biggest potential bonuses in the game, up to 20% with the ++ seal, and potentially increasing to 22% with synergy.

All of Teba's spammable strong attacks are considered mid-air attacks. :getin:

And since his best weapon has a 24% mid air attack bonus as a hidden seal, with a properly maxed out weapon, all of Teba's strong attacks are boosted by an absolutely ludicrous 112%. :black101:

(Well, except his C5, but we've already established that's his worst move that should never be used.)

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
My fave combo right now is 1hand link's YYYYX tornado followed by YYYX in the air. It's overkill but I will never stop

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

Everyone must do their part. :colbert:

In other news, I've discovered even more evidence that Teba is a merciless death machine that bows before neither kings nor gods; Mid-air attack damage is one of the biggest potential bonuses in the game, up to 20% with the ++ seal, and potentially increasing to 22% with synergy.

All of Teba's spammable strong attacks are considered mid-air attacks. :getin:

And since his best weapon has a 24% mid air attack bonus as a hidden seal, with a properly maxed out weapon, all of Teba's strong attacks are boosted by an absolutely ludicrous 112%. :black101:

(Well, except his C5, but we've already established that's his worst move that should never be used.)

Wait, I was under the impression that the mid-air damage boost applied to enemies you were juggling, not whether or not your character was airborne. If it's the way you described then that's amazing.

Turpitude posted:

My fave combo right now is 1hand link's YYYYX tornado followed by YYYX in the air. It's overkill but I will never stop

Sword and Board Link is just a really solid moveset, it's decently powerful, maxes out quickly so you're at full potential very early into the game and just generally has an answer for everything.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Alacron posted:

Wait, I was under the impression that the mid-air damage boost applied to enemies you were juggling, not whether or not your character was airborne. If it's the way you described then that's amazing.

There's a separate one for that.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Alacron posted:

They are two different bonuses. Mid-air attack damage, and Damage to mid-air enemies.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is 2h Link comically powerful or am I just getting skewed results from a very strong weapon?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

YggiDee posted:

Is 2h Link comically powerful or am I just getting skewed results from a very strong weapon?

It's one of the strongest movesets in the game with basically no downsides.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Red Minjo posted:

There's a separate one for that.

Spergatory posted:

They are two different bonuses. Mid-air attack damage, and Damage to mid-air enemies.

Well gently caress me, I'd been completely ignoring those skills because I'm bad at juggling.

Zore posted:

It's one of the strongest movesets in the game with basically no downsides.

The downside is that I'm really bad at not getting hit.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Alacron posted:

The downside is that I'm really bad at not getting hit.

Try to get hit during the trigger attacks then. If you get hit during those, it only counts as temporary damage, then you can just press the snack button to make it go away. :btroll:

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Spergatory posted:

Try to get hit during the trigger attacks then. If you get hit during those, it only counts as temporary damage, then you can just press the snack button to make it go away. :btroll:

Or even better, the special attack button whose gauge you just filled up thanks to all those berserker strong combos.

Seriously though just snacking with the strong attack actually caps out at about 5-6 hearts, but you can hold the button down, while special attack refills everything I believe.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 5, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm terrible at dodging but I don't take much damage anyway because whatever I'm fighting has been turned into a purée

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just did that Taming the Lynels mission, only took like ten tries! If you wanna learn how to get good at dodging, I’d recommend that one. It’s relentless and basically impossible if you don’t properly dodge most attacks.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
My strategy for that one, along with the expert one hit mission and the one where the guardians counterattack the citadel, is to just wait until Link is maxed out from doing the rest of the game

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just did that Taming the Lynels mission, only took like ten tries! If you wanna learn how to get good at dodging, I’d recommend that one. It’s relentless and basically impossible if you don’t properly dodge most attacks.

The hardest part of that mission for me wasn't even the Lynels; it was the loving LEEZARD THAT SPIT constantly interrupting my attacks and causing me chip damage.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spergatory posted:

The hardest part of that mission for me wasn't even the Lynels; it was the loving LEEZARD THAT SPIT constantly interrupting my attacks and causing me chip damage.

Nah this is the one where you fight a regular & Blue-maned Lynel, and then when one of them dies a Malice Lynel spawns.

Pro-tip: try to kill the first two Lynels at the same time. You’re welcome.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

My strategy for that one, along with the expert one hit mission and the one where the guardians counterattack the citadel, is to just wait until Link is maxed out from doing the rest of the game

That guard the citadel mission ruled, it turns out that Malice Guardians are loving terrifying and having to fight like six at once is total insanity. Also if they get in your base you pretty much instantly lose, I found out several times before I was able to finally win.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Alternatively, you can just use Daruk and his unbreakable guard

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So I'm about to start what I'm pretty sure is the last story mission and I've gotta say

this game is really fun

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Scrap Dragon posted:

Alternatively, you can just use Daruk and his unbreakable guard

Just bullying the Lynels with someone is really satisfying after the struggle to beat them up. Like, it took me a while as Sidon to really rock that mission, but now that I've got a good flow it's a lot of fun to go back and beat up on. Plus, Lynel points.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I cheesed it with Mipha and a bunch of Special Up food, and a fairy for safety I wound up not needing. Her special being a self heal for about 3 hearts is a lifesaver.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I dunno, I still like Terrako. He's not the best, but just shredding into moblins with rapid attacks and spamming LAZERS at the same time is weirdly fun. Like, scratching monkey part of brain fun. A WPG appears and it's just like 'oh poo poo mothafuckaaaaaaaaaaaa'. It probably helps my juvenile sense of humor and his wpg smash usually involves him firing a laser straight into every enemy's crotch thanks to the height difference.

That said, Mipha is right behind link for my most used. Healing specials and a very solid basic attack string for clearing crowds of fuckblins makes it a good 'turn my brain off for a bit' character.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It feels so weird to be done with the game, dunno what else to really do.

I booted it up because I wanted to play but there's no need for materials anymore and everythings clear so I only played a couple short missions and stopped.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It feels so weird to be done with the game, dunno what else to really do.

I booted it up because I wanted to play but there's no need for materials anymore and everythings clear so I only played a couple short missions and stopped.

I might do some blood moon challenges and try to get better seals for some of my characters I guess.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I need a shitload on Moblin Trophies, is there any one mission that gives you a ton? I got 20 from the penultimate story mission but lol if you think I’m gonna play through that a bunch of times.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
there's a revalli mission thats just killing waves of moblins, "fierce gale of the rito", I believe.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Echoing Footsteps (from the 21-30 group) is a great farming mission in general I think 5 moblins, a hinox, a talus, and a lynel

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Man King Santa is a lot of fun. He also gives off powerful Switch Axe vibes which is always a good thing to me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are any character upgrades locked behind the Divine Beast Missions?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

fadam posted:

Naw

I did them and nothing popped up after them.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Some of them have Ethereal stones as rewards, and those are used in some upgrade quests so kinda?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Naw

I did them and nothing popped up after them.
I feel like some of the very last missions might be locked behind doing them though, because there was a point where I finished every mission available besides those and the last character stuff wasn't showing up until after I finished all of the divine beast stuff.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Crawfish posted:

I feel like some of the very last missions might be locked behind doing them though, because there was a point where I finished every mission available besides those and the last character stuff wasn't showing up until after I finished all of the divine beast stuff.

Maybe, Etheral stones or whatever as mentioned above to

I just kinda did them early on to get them out of the way so nothing showed up when I finished them v:v:v

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hair Width Expert+ can gently caress right off. The Octorok placement is brutal, and the last area is full of archers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hair Width Expert+ can gently caress right off. The Octorok placement is brutal, and the last area is full of archers.

Slate Zelda can make it pretty trivial since she has the ability to go invulnerable whenever you want by using Bombs

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah, the last area took me 10-15 tries. My strategy by the end was to carefully make my way to the Lynel, killing everything along the way, and once I'd gotten its attention luring to an area with no enemies and then using a combination of rods, specials, stasis, and WPS to finally kill it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Remember too that the Lynel is in water for the final fight so you can use Cryonis to force the frozen WPG out.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

fadam posted:

Not really 100% on this, but at least one wiki claims that you need to do all the divine beast missions as part of the requirements to unlock the final character Calamity Ganon.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There's a korok in expert+ as well. Make sure to grab that before you do it so you don't have to do it again.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zore posted:

Remember too that the Lynel is in water for the final fight so you can use Cryonis to force the frozen WPG out.

I didn't have too much trouble with the Lynel, it's a fire type anyway so I was using lots of ice rod hits. The archers were annoying and made me retry a few times, but the worst was the Fire Guardian because it's surrounded by like four Octoroks.

Senerio posted:

There's a korok in expert+ as well. Make sure to grab that before you do it so you don't have to do it again.

Well...poo poo. :negative: That's extremely rude of them.

Just finished the level where you have to beat 12 Guardians, and boy do they like to group up. If I hadn't gotten a lucky level up on Urbosa to spam her musou attack I don't think I would've beaten it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I've been trying things out with (Chapter 5+ spoilers) Riju since I initially felt like they were fairly limited and inconsistent as a character, and I've found some things that are probably not earth-shattering but are at least pretty neat, and maybe this will help out some of the fans of this character:

- First things first: Her ZR seems to do the most damage and the most WPG damage at the initial activation, with holding it mostly being useful for fast travel or running over mooks in weak levels. Also, he ZR can cancel the recovery of many of her moves, which is extremely important to her ability to pour on extended pressure when combined with other factors mentioned below.

- If you do YX out of her normal dash, she does the dashing Y attack into the normal C2 two Gerudo ladies. You can get into a dash state in several ways: move constantly for a short while, dodge and hold B after, do her Strong Attack, or press and release ZR to start and then leave her mad dash.

- The thing that always bugged me the most about her in terms of her feeling inconsistent is that doing things out of her ZR mad dash is different depending on a few factors. If you are not pressing a direction on the stick and pressing/mashing Y, she will go into her normal attack string starting with the second move. This means you cannot access C2 (the two Gerudo lady summon) directly out of her ZR with this pattern.

If you are holding a direction after pressing and releasing ZR, Riju will continue her normal dash but fully empowered (this is the same red glowy state she eventually reaches if she has been normal dashing for awhile). This gives access to her dashing options which are Dashing YY, the previously mentioned Dashing Y~X that goes into her normal C2, or Dashing X Spin2Win. However, if she is locked onto an enemy, she will never complete Dashing YY, instead doing Dashing Y into her normal Y string starting with C2, as if you had left the control stick at neutral like in the previous paragraph. This is the part that was most confusing until I realized what was happening.

- The aerial slamdown from Dashing YY looks similar to her C3 slamdown but is different in a couple ways. First, it is powered up by her dash's powered up state. The red glowing aura causes a lightning strike to hit when she slams down. Secondly, her Dashing YY will continue into her normal Y chain starting with the third hit (the spin part of YYY). You can also go into the C3 slamdown from Dashing YY by mashing X after its slamdown.

- You can use ZR in the air to come down in a version of the mad dash, and if you hold ZR all the way to the ground Riju will transition to the grounded mad dash.

All of these points lead to some pretty nice extended pressure options looping between the movement/combo states:

C2 ~ press and release ZR (no direction held) ~ C5 ~ air ZR into ground ZR then release etc.
C2 ~press and release ZR (hold direction) ~ Dashing Y~X (performs C2) ~ ZR (hold direction)

The C2 ZR C5 pattern feels a little easier to keep in front of smaller locked on enemies since it doesn't have the extra movement from the Dashing Y, but both patterns feel pretty solid for WPG damage.

As for why you wouldn't do the easy thing and do C2 dodge C2, there are two reasons. First, as mentioned before, the initial hit of ZR does a lot of regular and WPG damage. Second, if you do C2 dodge C2 too fast, the Gerudo ladies won't be summoned the second time because they haven't fully disappeared yet.

(Cannot be locked on): Dashing YY~X upon landing (performs C3) ~ ZR on landing to cancel landing lag, etc.

This is mostly just for for the whole up down up down looping. Maybe there's something useful here, but not being able to be locked on is limiting.