Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kawaii face would be a good disfigurement for a Batman villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
That just gave me an idea for a black mask storyline.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Xelkelvos posted:

I appreciate this a lot. Not the kawaii-ish Steph thing, but the multiple batgirls thing.

Somewhere Dan Didio is frothing at the mouth.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Poor James Robinson. If you want to read a really good autobiographical comic check out Airboy from Image.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
... THRE3 BATGORLS!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Xelkelvos posted:

I appreciate this a lot. Not the kawaii-ish Steph thing, but the multiple batgirls thing.

I do appreciate the kawaii-ish Steph

radlum
May 13, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Batman and Catwoman is an unreadable mess. Constantly jumping back and forth between time with no clear line connecting them or clear transitions. loving terrible.

Me a few hours ago: What a shame that DC didn't let Tom King finish his Batman run.

Also me, right now, after reading Batman Catwoman: This is just awful, glad we didn't have to get more issues of King's Batman.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

... THRE3 BATGORLS!

I'm seeing double here.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

radlum posted:

Me a few hours ago: What a shame that DC didn't let Tom King finish his Batman run.

Also me, right now, after reading Batman Catwoman: This is just awful, glad we didn't have to get more issues of King's Batman.

:same:

DC was right to dump him for Tynion on the main book. It is weird because I am loving his Strange Adventures and almost all his previous work. It definitely doesn't help that his previous Batman run way overstayed its welcome. I liked it over all, but it would have been way better as a tighter 50 issues and not the 85 that we got.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I haven't read Batman in a while, why is the villain of Mask of the Phantasm showing up suddenly? Has there been anything leading up to that?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nope. That was her introduction. King wanted to use her and so there you go.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
re the Waid discussion, I missed that he has a story in the Metal one-shot out next week. So that's the end of an era there

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
You know, I am actually super ok with Barbara, Cass, and Steph all being Batgirl at the same time.

... I grew up with too much anime to be bothered by Kawaii Steph. What I am still not quite used to is being able to actually see her face when she's Spoiler. I still think of the completely covered face with expressive white blobs for eyes.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Poor James Robinson. If you want to read a really good autobiographical comic check out Airboy from Image.

I mean read Airboy if you want but I want to qualify this by pointing out that the second issue has a pretty vile transphobic scene. Robinson has apologized for it and for what it's worth I found it to be a pretty decent apology, but I still have never had any interest in finishing the series since that whole sequence felt so ugly and ignorant.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

I mean read Airboy if you want but I want to qualify this by pointing out that the second issue has a pretty vile transphobic scene. Robinson has apologized for it and for what it's worth I found it to be a pretty decent apology, but I still have never had any interest in finishing the series since that whole sequence felt so ugly and ignorant.

Oh drat, yeah that is very true.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

I absolutely agree that it's bad. I'm just glad JR apologized for it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Some comparisons between the issue in question and the collected edition, which changed some dialog: http://everydayislikewednesday.blogspot.com/2016/10/james-robinson-and-greg-hinkles-airboy.html?m=1

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When did Airboy#2 originally come out? "A product of its time" is not a defense or anything, but however terribly transphobic our society is right now, it did used to be a lot worse. I remember Dennis Kucinich said trans people should be judges and John Stewart's joke on the Daily Show was "all rise for judge Chick with a Dick."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

When did Airboy#2 originally come out? "A product of its time" is not a defense or anything, but however terribly transphobic our society is right now, it did used to be a lot worse. I remember Dennis Kucinich said trans people should be judges and John Stewart's joke on the Daily Show was "all rise for judge Chick with a Dick."

2015. We're not talking like 1995 or something.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah in 2015 he should have known better. In 2008 he should have known better, although he would not have been the only person in the media who didn't, but by 2015 it's astonishing to me that he not only wrote that scene but that his editor looked at and said "yup, ok."

I think Robinson is a smart guy and again, I think his apology was about as good as it could have been, but it's still tremendously disappointing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

From those panels it feels less to me like he didn't know (maybe he wasn't aware of degree) that those terms suck and was intentionally trying to write "real" sounding dialogue from a couple of guys that seem like dipshits and missed the mark by a very large margin.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is this where I ask about Batman? I want to either get The 3 Morrison Omnibus or the Dark Nights Metal Saga & Last Knight On Earth. Which one's do you guys think? I really loved Black Mirror and the entire Snyder New 52 run the most so far. I can get the Omnibus for 150 all together but Last Knight intrigues me. It is possible to just read Last Knight and the rest later? I'm just coming back and catching up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RBX posted:

Is this where I ask about Batman? I want to either get The 3 Morrison Omnibus or the Dark Nights Metal Saga & Last Knight On Earth. Which one's do you guys think? I really loved Black Mirror and the entire Snyder New 52 run the most so far. I can get the Omnibus for 150 all together but Last Knight intrigues me. It is possible to just read Last Knight and the rest later? I'm just coming back and catching up.

I would get the Morrison if you want a bunch of Batman being Batman stories. I like Metal and I liked Black Mirror quite a bit, Metal is entirely oriented around Batman and Batman is in it a bunch, but it's not really a Batman story.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

RBX posted:

We are very pro Dick Bats here. Plus, $150 is a steal for those three omnis.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

RBX posted:

There are Three Grant Morrisons?
It all makes so much sense.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

And they must be stopped before they create a 4th!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

We are very pro Dick Bats here. Plus, $150 is a steal for those three omnis.

Hell yeah. Morrison Batman is probably my favorite Batman. Early Daiman is pretty perfect, and he pulls from such interesting old stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

And they must be stopped before they create a 4th!

That's gonna be weird and probably really sexy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

That's gonna be weird and probably really sexy.

He's been getting Gerard Way ready for it ever since the Na Na Na music video.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
New Swamp Thing ongoing coming in March. Is this guy any good?

https://twitter.com/therightram/status/1334964144836128773

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ram V has been loving killing it in comics. These Savage Shores is one of the best horror comics of last year and still a top-tier recommendation to just about anyone who enjoys comics. His turn on Justice League Dark was an inspired choice and I'm glad he's sticking with it and branching into Swamp Thing as well. DC would be wise to get a... maybe not exclusive contract, but a series of commitments from him while keeping him free to publish every cool non-superhero idea he has while he's still in his hot poo poo phase.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Yeah, Savage Shores rules. I'm super excited for his Swamp Thing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Question IRL posted:

Arkham Asylum Morrison, JLA Morrison, and Batman/and Robin/Incorporated Morrison. Though it’s easy to say that Batman in his Batman book is just an extension of his JLA Batman, they’re all pretty distinct, and give you a great look at the different facets of the character.

EDIT: Of course I remember Gothic after I write all that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The 70s joker series is wild.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr Hootington posted:

The 70s joker series is wild.

It's the kind of thing I don't think I've seen before or since, an ongoing (well it was supposed to be ongoing) about a just totally irredeemable villain doing villain poo poo

If memory serves it was only allowed by the Comics Code because Joker didn't kill anyone (people always miraculously survived things like getting an acid pie int the face) and because every issue ends him with being arrested.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Blockhouse posted:

It's the kind of thing I don't think I've seen before or since, an ongoing (well it was supposed to be ongoing) about a just totally irredeemable villain doing villain poo poo

If memory serves it was only allowed by the Comics Code because Joker didn't kill anyone (people always miraculously survived things like getting an acid pie int the face) and because every issue ends him with being arrested.

He kills someone in the second issue

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Was the Joker series after the Spider-Man drug abuse story? The comics code loosened up a lot after that.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Started reading Batman Rebirth. Was skeptical of Gotham and Gotham Girl but their stories ended up being fascinating as they were tragic. Good stuff.

Also started my DC reading adventure with Golden Age Wonder Woman, which I'm not big on but enjoy well enough, and Batman Year One. Finished Year One, and now I'm reading the Tim Drake Robin days up until Death in the Family. This guide is what I'm going with relating to Bats.

https://www.comicbookherald.com/reading-dc-comics/batman-reading-order/#batman3

Then when i finish 80's Batman I'm going to start 80's Superman. I've already read Moore Superman, and I love it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Started reading Batman Rebirth. Was skeptical of Gotham and Gotham Girl but their stories ended up being fascinating as they were tragic. Good stuff.

Also started my DC reading adventure with Golden Age Wonder Woman, which I'm not big on but enjoy well enough, and Batman Year One. Finished Year One, and now I'm reading the Tim Drake Robin days up until Death in the Family. This guide is what I'm going with relating to Bats.

https://www.comicbookherald.com/reading-dc-comics/batman-reading-order/#batman3

Then when i finish 80's Batman I'm going to start 80's Superman. I've already read Moore Superman, and I love it.

If you are doing 80s try and do a read through of the "grounded" vigilants and spy series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Was the Joker series after the Spider-Man drug abuse story? The comics code loosened up a lot after that.
The Spider-Man Drug Abuse storywas published in the spring of 1971. The code revision was basically made while the series was coming out (it made it into mainstream newspapers that the Code wasn't allowing an anti-drug storyline to be published simply because it mentioned drugs) so they scrambled to update it. The revised Code still had all of the 1950s "anti-crime" stuff in it, including dictating that, "in every instance good shall triumph over evil and the criminal punished for his misdeeds."

The Joker series ran from 1975-1976.