Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Yes! I loved El Hoyo (the Platform) when it came out and was surprised to not see it get more buzz on cspam. What did you think of the ending when the main character starts his revolution and ends up on level 666? I get the film was trying to parallel Don Quixote's descent into madness during his quest but I couldn't quite untangle what the metaphor meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/DanRemnant/status/1334851860713394178?s=20

might have to go ahead and revive killmonger

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7aS01JpK0&t=98s

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i love living in a society which convinces its clowns that they are in fact its best and brightest

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yes, maybe she should open the bible:
"I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Howsito/status/1334615568066834432

technically a documentary director although i kind of doubt thats the job she had that actually pays the bills

before that a uh hobo musician i think man nobody in the stuff i watch has a clearly defined profession weird

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is Mandalorian a job

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is Mandalorian a job

no it’s a race

the job is bounty hunting

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is Mandalorian a job

Mando jobs dot com

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Taintrunner posted:

no it’s a race

the job is bounty hunting

It's a race, religion, and culture, you can be adopted into it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I watched some Community last night so I guess my job is disgraced former lawyer/current community college teacher.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

i dont watch tv

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Parallax View will make your brain vibrate

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mr Hootington posted:

The Parallax View will make your brain vibrate

i've been on a bit of a conspiracy movie kick so anyone feel free to throw out additional suggestions, already did three days of the condor and day of the jackal

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm now Scrooge McDuck.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

i've been on a bit of a conspiracy movie kick so anyone feel free to throw out additional suggestions, already did three days of the condor and day of the jackal

Have you seen Klute? It is on my list.

Manchurian Candidate, All the President's Men, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Converstation, They Live, and Enemy of the State are all great.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Dec 5, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/Howsito/status/1334615568066834432

technically a documentary director although i kind of doubt thats the job she had that actually pays the bills

before that a uh hobo musician i think man nobody in the stuff i watch has a clearly defined profession weird

I am now Machete.

...not sure if I want that job whatever he does but ok...

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

JFK is a classic. star studded cast too

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I've watched The Assassin and while it's very beautiful and incredibly shot, man does it not want you to know what is going on with the plot.

Characters barely refer to eachother by name, and everyone changes costumes every scene (the costumes are amazing btw). There's some political conflict going on in the background and some names mentioned that never appear on screen I think?

Strong recommend for the visual experience, but maybe read up on the plot beforehand on wikipedia or smth, otherwise it's going to be a bad time trying to follow the story

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

It's a race, religion, and culture, you can be adopted into it.

when you put it that way, I had to look up if Tablet or Forward have written about it

and of course they have
https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/is-there-a-jew-under-the-mandalorians-mask

quote:

So, to sum up: The Mandolorians are a race of people repeatedly almost decimated by genocide who now live scattered across the galaxy. These rootless cosmopolitans sometimes blend into their new societies. More often, however, they’re forced to support themselves by turning to professions their societies despise. Here, bounty hunting plays proxy for money lending.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

They're also reactionaries hearkening back to a time where they nearly conquered the galaxy in a wave of mass murder so the analogy goes off the rails pretty fast

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
has anybody watched carnivale? I'm like four hours in and it's very odd but also strangely compelling

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe posted:

when you put it that way, I had to look up if Tablet or Forward have written about it

and of course they have
https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/is-there-a-jew-under-the-mandalorians-mask

Can't believe they didn't say wow , mandolorians are shown being obsessed with precious metals

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

about that

quote:

As I watched the first episode, I even detected a hint of national narrative in the show’s McGuffin, something called Beskar steel that seems to have originated from Mandalore and which the show’s masked hero seems keen to, as the shadowy character played by Werner Herzog puts it, “have back in the hands of a Mandalorian.”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

Snowden is sort of a bunny slopes of crack pings

Enemy of the State is a classic (but is really a documentary)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mandalorians are leprechauns

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Sing Along posted:

has anybody watched carnivale? I'm like four hours in and it's very odd but also strangely compelling

incredibly based, it ended too early
the mythology is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqc0R6Geh_8
(beginning of the first ep so there aren't any spoilers in the video)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

in addition to what others said, Capricorn one, coma, the arrival (not good but still fun and timely), five days in May

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

“I want to see the beskar”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
throw in The Manchurian Candidate, too

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
joke option: under the silver lake

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

im so glad bill burr is coming back to mandalorian i cant wait to hear his 'gungan accent' again

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Trabisnikof posted:

in addition to what others said, Capricorn one, coma, the arrival (not good but still fun and timely), five days in May

this is a great list and I would also suggest the Conversation, Soylent Green

Halloween III Season of the Witch is a conspiracy film I suppose, so is Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Deathrace 2000 is also a conspiracy film i guess since frankenstein's navigator is conspiring with the rebels to wipe out frankenstein and frankenstein is conspiring amongst himself to wipe out mr president

rollerball is also a conspiracy film

of all of these films rollerball is probably the best one

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I am watching the lone gunmen series right now for the first time since it aired 20 years ago and it also deals extensively in conspiracies

it's pretty entertaining

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

mastershakeman posted:

Can't believe they didn't say wow , mandolorians are shown being obsessed with precious metals

The main character belongs to an ultra-orthodox sect that believes you shouldn't take your hat off.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1334897755236364289?s=21
I'm getting the Girls 2012 controversy vibe from reading this.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Echo Chamber posted:

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1334897755236364289?s=21
I'm getting the Girls 2012 controversy vibe from reading this.

quote:

But can my hatred be trusted? It’s very pure hatred!

i may never have a better reason to trust a film review

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

thank you president biden sir for opening the portal to 2014 i would die for you sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Girls I remember was big for about five minutes then people realised whatshername wasn't actually in on the joke about being a spoiled piece of poo poo

Better to watch Derry Girls. Or Gilmore Girls. Or River City Girls.