Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/nkalamb/status/1335609441744539654?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

From a bit ago, but it's fitting a Bosa gets obsessed with an anime written by a fascist.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Literally could have killed multiple players. Sounds like they should a forfeit a couple of 1sts to me.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/HecklerChiBears/status/1335603568892649476?s=19

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1335637393173590019

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
If your confidence falls that badly because the team drafted another QB then you were never the guy anyway

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Phobeste posted:

Reid was absolutely in that same bucket until he got Mahomes. Now, I think he's probably gonna go over the top. I really like Tomlin and I hope they get a great QB in there that can do more than strategically place ace bandages for maximum whining leverage, but as of now that's the category.
from a while ago but you do know tomlin does has a super bowl win right?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

wyoak posted:

from a while ago but you do know tomlin does has a super bowl win right?

Yeah, one, and it was a while ago. How long do you get to eat off that? If Andy Reid goes 15 years without winning again the same will be true of him

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Doltos, you gonna make a draft thread?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Woozie66 posted:

From a bit ago, but it's fitting a Bosa gets obsessed with an anime written by a fascist.

This little rumor is still a thing? I thought it died like two years ago

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

N: https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1335803065560162305?s=19

V:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah Goblin Slayer is the one written by a fascist I thought

https://mobile.twitter.com/minakimes/status/1335695349495836674

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 7, 2020

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’ve seen that exact joke before. Was it last year?

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hey, this little rumor started two years ago. And I read up on it then, and then did no follow up research. So there. (I have now done follow up research.)

Any, the Bosas are bootlickers. That is a thing I'm comfortable standing behind.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Amy Pole Her posted:

I’ve seen that exact joke before. Was it last year?

Yup. She made the same joke about the dolphins last year.

Mina, however, is the best and i absolve her from her joke recycling crimes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/1335747849229750273
https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/1335747605284810752

If you haven't seen the celebration:

https://twitter.com/Matt_Reynoldson/status/1335724471915859968

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Love Lazard crowning them both lol

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1336006066367164416

Vontaze Burfict-Maria Abramovic-Hillary Clinton Cabal confirmed

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

The athletic is reporting the cap for net year is likely to be $175 million, a drop from this years 198.2 million. "the cap is not real" is a meme only because the cap has been going up 10% a year for almost a decade and (smart) teams were able to structure the contracts to take advantage of that fact. With a 10% decrease we're liable to see some real interesting cap casulties. The saints would be $100 million over the cap in 2021and would need to cut all the following players to be $175,000 under the 2021 cap. Basically their entire team outside of a handful of players whose deals were recent (Kamara, Michel Thomas) and would give them no cap savings. A few of these they could convert a small amount of the base salary into bonuses and prorate it over the course of the contract.... but the saints have already done that for most of these players

Drew Brees
Terron Armstead
Cameron Jordan
Malcom Brown
Nick easton
Marshon Lattimore
Taysom Hill
Janoris Jenkins
Emmanuel Sanders
Will Lutz
Latavius Murray
Ryan Ramcyk
Kwon Alexnder
Patrick Robinson
David Onyemata
Josh Hill
Kaden Elliss
Carl Granderson
Deonte Harris
Ethan Greenidge
Shy Tuttle
Malcom Roach

adaz fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 7, 2020

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Playing around in overthecap.com with the Saints for the salary cap next year is quite the adventure.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

adaz posted:

The athletic is reporting the cap for net year is likely to be $175 million, a drop from this years 198.2 million. "the cap is not real" is a meme only because the cap has been going up 10% a year for almost a decade and (smart) teams were able to structure the contracts to take advantage of that fact. With a 10% decrease we're liable to see some real interesting cap casulties. The saints would be $100 million over the cap in 2021and would need to cut all the following players to be $175,000 under the 2021 cap. Basically their entire team outside of a handful of players whose deals were recent (Kamara, Michel Thomas) and would give them no cap savings. A few of these they could convert a small amount of the base salary into bonuses and prorate it over the course of the contract.... but the saints have already done that for most of these players

We discuss this in the NFCS thread regularly and I really look forward to seeing how they handle it.

wandler20 posted:

Just a reminder they would have to cut these players just to get under the cap next season. Even then they're at like 200k in cap space.

Edit: My favorite part is where they pay Drew Brees $6m in 2023.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 7, 2020

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

adaz posted:

The athletic is reporting the cap for net year is likely to be $175 million, a drop from this years 198.2 million. "the cap is not real" is a meme only because the cap has been going up 10% a year for almost a decade and (smart) teams were able to structure the contracts to take advantage of that fact. With a 10% decrease we're liable to see some real interesting cap casulties. The saints would be $100 million over the cap in 2021and would need to cut all the following players to be $175,000 under the 2021 cap. Basically their entire team outside of a handful of players whose deals were recent (Kamara, Michel Thomas) and would give them no cap savings.

Hopefully teams Osweiler a bunch of dudes and the teams with cap space can get some decent players on ugly contracts and some extra picks.

Though really, only 2 teams are in serious trouble, and the Falcons are in some trouble, but I think they can get under with some clean-ish cuts.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

One thing I'm really curious to see what happens with the lower cap is the effect it'll have on the free agency market. You have a combination of every team having a lower cap and a lot of decent veterans on the market competing with each other for contracts. Will these veterans be forced to sign for significantly less money or sit out the NFL for a season?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

^^^

Athletic speculates a lot of 1 year prove it deals as players try to reenter in 2022 and get monster deals with a bigger cap

OxySnake posted:

Playing around in overthecap.com with the Saints for the salary cap next year is quite the adventure.

It;s more fun than the playoff simulator imo.

wandler20 posted:

We discuss this in the NFCS thread regularly and I really look forward to seeing how they handle it.

Edit: My favorite part is where they pay Drew Brees $6m in 2023.

That's what it looks like BEFORE the additional -25 million that just got announced today.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

I think I ended up cutting or restructuring basically every contract I could.

And I was still 25 mil over

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

One thing I'm really curious to see what happens with the lower cap is the effect it'll have on the free agency market. You have a combination of every team having cap casualties, leading to a lot of decent veterans on the market, but at the same time -- if teams are cutting players to make it under the cap, they aren't going to be able to sign these newly-freed vets.

My suspicion is that you're going to see a ton of dudes taking 1 year deals and praying things are un-hosed in 2022. The top top dudes will still get paid though, the middle and upper middle class of players are gonna get hosed.

Also everyone franchise tagged is gonna just slam sign it instantly.

Also lmao Cowboys, have fun doing that Dak contract.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What happens if a team has enough dead cap that they can't field a gameday roster?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
The Steelers have spent to the limits of the cap every single year since it was instituted in '94. This year seems a little more worrying, but I'd be willing to bet that the league borrows from future years to mitigate some of the potential fallout from COVID. In fact, I'd bet the ownership has spent more time addressing the cap than their plague plans

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

My suspicion is that you're going to see a ton of dudes taking 1 year deals and praying things are un-hosed in 2022. The top top dudes will still get paid though, the middle and upper middle class of players are gonna get hosed.

Sounds like a market inefficiency to me!

Good thing Bill has all this freed-up cap space!

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

What happens if a team has enough dead cap that they can't field a gameday roster?

Also has there ever been a situation of a team being over the cap? What happens if they go into week 1? Auto forfeit? Taking of draft picks?

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
i think the saints already missed their super bowl last year but good on sean payton for selling out for one last hurrah in the final year of their window

what the gently caress are the eagles doing though

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

OxySnake posted:

Also has there ever been a situation of a team being over the cap? What happens if they go into week 1? Auto forfeit? Taking of draft picks?

The rule is defined as the league just starts going and nullifying signed contracts until they're back under the cap, but this situation has never come into play, where the cap drops and a team is so far over from contracts they signed 1-2 years ago.

Most likely situation is they'll just have to redo deals and push money into 2022-2024 which is... ugly for many other reasons.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Magicpants posted:

i think the saints already missed their super bowl last year but good on sean payton for selling out for one last chance in the final year of their window

what the gently caress are the eagles doing though

Extending a ton of dudes who got them to a Superbowl.

Then they all aged out of their SB window

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

OxySnake posted:

It's a choose your own adventure book that always ends up at 4-12

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I kinda want to see Colts go Ham and sign Dak Prescott and Allen Robinson.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Kalli posted:

Also everyone franchise tagged is gonna just slam sign it instantly.

Also lmao Cowboys, have fun doing that Dak contract.

Dak's Contract is going to be _hilarious_. Either like $40 mil franchise tag or some insanely backloaded deal

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Hopefully teams Osweiler a bunch of dudes and the teams with cap space can get some decent players on ugly contracts and some extra picks.

Though really, only 2 teams are in serious trouble, and the Falcons are in some trouble, but I think they can get under with some clean-ish cuts.

Can the Falcons trade Ryan without taking a massive hit? Asking for a friend.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

His normal cap hit next year is $41m with $5m guaranteed, he has $18m in prorated signing bonus each of the next two years, then half that in 2023, so to move on from him would give them... $50 m in dead cap! $45m if they trade him.

hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It would actually cost them $9m more in dead cap space to trade him rather than keeping him.