Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Mostly I am trying to clean up my storage, and make some extra money at the same time. I would buy up any cheap, old system I could find, which was several years ago. That's all dried up, as far as Goodwill and donation centers go.
I find stuff occasionally at estate sales.

and yeah, 256MB might be overkill, but eh whatever, I got the RAM. The retro gaming computer market, I just dont fully get it. I know alot of bits and pieces, but how it all comes together...

like, for example, I was wanting to find a USB that would fit on here, and locate one a 5 1/2 floppy drive and install it in there, but then I think, maybe that is overdoing it? '

Like sure, 5 inch floppy, 1.4 inch floppy and CD Rom drive in one system would be nice but I am not sure if that is something the market is demanding.

Ehhh, I'll just use what I got, get the OS installed and drivers going and call it good.

Not sure if I want to sell the monitor and Model M keyboard along with it , or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

USB will have to have a custom connector. Not sure if the manual would have a pinout for it. Sadly, that motherboard is pre-standardization on a lot of internal headers.

The upside, Win98 is still poo poo with a lot of USB devices, so it really doesn't matter. Compatibility will be limited to mice, keyboards, and older printers. There is a Win98 USB mass storage driver out there on the internet, but my experimentation with it and a thumb drive says A) lol backported from WinMe and janky as gently caress, B) have to mount/unmount from Device Manager, and C) USB1.1 is so slow it's not worth the effort.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hah yeah. I had looked that up before. That wasnt until the 2001 models.
and only the Deskstar 75GXP line.

LOL, I remember those. I had one that kept clicking and crashing my PC but somehow figured out that if I made a certain sized partition (roughly half the drive size I think?) then made a 2GB partition that I didn't format, then made a third partition using the remaining space I could use both the first and last formatted partitions without any problems.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wifi Toilet posted:

LOL, I remember those. I had one that kept clicking and crashing my PC but somehow figured out that if I made a certain sized partition (roughly half the drive size I think?) then made a 2GB partition that I didn't format, then made a third partition using the remaining space I could use both the first and last formatted partitions without any problems.

I had one in an HP desktop I bought, and it started making the most terrifying noises I've ever heard coming from a hard drive. I prepared myself for a disaster, but it never came, that PC lived for years with the hard drive occasionally sounding like a cement truck filled with loose nuts and bolts tumbling end-over-end down a mountainside.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Phanatic posted:

I had one in an HP desktop I bought, and it started making the most terrifying noises I've ever heard coming from a hard drive. I prepared myself for a disaster, but it never came, that PC lived for years with the hard drive occasionally sounding like a cement truck filled with loose nuts and bolts tumbling end-over-end down a mountainside.

did you try defragging it?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Been thinking about my alarm clock, which is a permanently docked old iPod from 2005. I can set up a shuffled playlist and the dock will just start and stop playback at the set time. This is exactly what I want in the morning. I'm in the market for an update, out of fear the setup might be on its way out, and I'd have thought this would be a standard thing to do for a standalone alarm clock 15 years later, either with a SD or USB slot.
Welp, it's gone. RIP the old iPod, struck down in its prime by suddenly swollen battery. We hardly knew ye.

Got an internet radio now for about 5x what I expected one to cost. But also still have the dock. Maybe I'll go check what the newest device is that can still interface with it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think if I was going to get a retro PC I'd go for one that was relatively standard all-together package, like an Apple IIe, or Commodore or Amiga, or an IBM PS/1 or something like that. The idea of futzing with drivers for a thing that hasn't existed in 30 years does not sound like my idea of a good time.

Getting an old CRT and hooking a modern pc running Windows 98 in a VM to it sounds like a better way to get the late 90s fix.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Imagined posted:

I think if I was going to get a retro PC I'd go for one that was relatively standard all-together package, like an Apple IIe, or Commodore or Amiga, or an IBM PS/1 or something like that. The idea of futzing with drivers for a thing that hasn't existed in 30 years does not sound like my idea of a good time.

Getting an old CRT and hooking a modern pc running Windows 98 in a VM to it sounds like a better way to get the late 90s fix.

That’s the draw of it for some though. The sense of accomplishment of bringing back something from a dead state. But I get that it’s not for everyone too so I won’t discount how people get their fix.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Emulators will never have good enough sound emulation.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Imagined posted:

Does it? Is there any VM software that has even moderately good sound/hardware accelerated video emulation for something as old as Windows 9x?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

VM software? Ehhhh, not really... Stuff like DOSBox and PCem can do it with varying degrees of success.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Lovely Horse posted:

Welp, it's gone. RIP the old iPod, struck down in its prime by suddenly swollen battery. We hardly knew ye.

Got an internet radio now for about 5x what I expected one to cost. But also still have the dock. Maybe I'll go check what the newest device is that can still interface with it.

You can get it fixed! https://www.rapidrepair.com/ they've kept my old ipod Classic running for years. Although the USB port is getting weird and not cooperating with my car, and the headphone jack is busted currently. So I just went for it and bought a 7th gen ipod touch.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Last Chance posted:

Does it? Is there any VM software that has even moderately good sound/hardware accelerated video emulation for something as old as Windows 9x?

For late 90's stuff I found that vmware works fine for me, but it's not perfect at all so it's good to have a retro-pc handy for those cases when it doesn't work well.

I have this old game that I only ever got to run on windows XP sp2 for some reason and it's unpopular enough that I didn't manage to find a fix for it on the internet so I have a vmware setup just for that game. As I understand it it's the DRM that doesn't want to run on anything else and I never managed to find a crack for the game or even that specific version of the DRM.

loving hate DRM, all it ever does is gently caress over the legitimate users. :/

Edit: I even bought a second copy of the game because I thought my version was broken but no, it has the same issue.

Kamrat has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Dec 6, 2020

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You say all that and don't even mention what game it is?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

My Lovely Horse posted:

If it’s a Classic, replacing the battery is relatively easy and quite cheap. The sixth and seventh generation Classics with the metal front case are kind of a pain to get apart, but the 4th/fifth gens are simple, just a couple thin or medium guitar picks and a micro screwdriver set.

Ifixit has good step by step guides.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Johnny Aztec posted:

You say all that and don't even mention what game it is?

Drakar och Demoner: Själarnas Brunn, it's a Swedish game

Edit: Here's some guy playing trough the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgwCt2_yIK4

Kamrat has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Dec 6, 2020

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kamrat posted:

Drakar och Demoner: Själarnas Brunn, it's a Swedish game

Edit: Here's some guy playing trough the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgwCt2_yIK4

....That is a Duck Person...

Anyhow.
I have an old TANDY system in a generic AT case. Turns out it is just a re-branded AST Advantage. 486 SX system. Bit of an oddity.
I am at an impasseeeee on getting it running, for now, because of the Dallas Real Time Clock Chip.

This is a Clock chip AND a CMOS battery in one package. The Real time part works, but the battery is long flat.
System won't go past that until it's replaced. It is a fairly common issue with boards of this era.

Options are: Unsolder and replace with a new-ish Dallas Real Time Clock chip

OR

IT"S HACKING TIME! :unsmigghh:

Unsolder that sucker, flip out your knife and START CUTTING!

:black101:

You break the connection to the internal battery, and install a modern lith-ion CMOS battery holder.

Edit: Just to be clear, those are images I stole off the interwebs.
I have not actually done this yet.

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Dec 6, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Anyhow.
I have an old TANDY system in a generic AT case. Turns out it is just a re-branded AST Advantage. 486 SX system. Bit of an oddity.
I am at an impasseeeee on getting it running, for now, because of the Dallas Real Time Clock Chip.

This is a Clock chip AND a CMOS battery in one package. The Real time part works, but the battery is long flat.
System won't go past that until it's replaced. It is a fairly common issue with boards of this era.

OR

You break the connection to the internal battery, and install a modern lith-ion CMOS battery holder.

WOW!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Anyhow.

OR

Edit: Just to be clear, those are images I stole off the interwebs.
I have not actually done this yet.

If it's stupid and it works...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LifeSunDeath posted:

did you try defragging it?

I did not want to risk angering it further.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

Apparently this is a thing I'll probably have to do whenever I try to get my old Sun machines running again too :ohdear:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Some ten years ago I dragged my alpha PWS workstation out, and the BIOS battery was stone dead; annoyingly this means that it boots up in the PC-alike mode that windows NT 4 for Alpha wants instead of the command line firmware that the installed OpenVMS requires, and there is no way to convince it otherwise. (Fun fact about the Alpha, though: the windows blue screen of death started as the "your OS crashed, back to the bios terminal with you" message on the Alpha; they styled the other platforms to use the same colors as the Alpha terminal for consistency. Not sure why the PWS has two bios modes when earlier windows apparently used the same mode as VMS.)

At the time, I popped the battery out to keep it from leaking, and put the machine back into a cupboard (in my parent's house). I ... hope that was just a 2032 or something, but I did not write it down, and being a 90s workstation everything is possible.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Dec 6, 2020

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

madeintaipei posted:

If it's stupid and it works...

that reminds me of a line I saw in a journal article about some RF spoofing method: "This is the signal-processing equivalent to playing xylophone with a cat: it's ugly and illegal, but it works."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Your lamps are now obsolete.

https://twitter.com/LilyInJapan/status/1335783650642677760?s=20

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I remember that from yeeaaaars ago. From what people commented then, those things are finicky, doesn't take much dirt/dust to clog up the channels, and they are somewhat fragile.

I am just repeating hearsay, as I do not own one, have never seen one in person, and indeed, have never been within 500 miles of an IKEA.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

I remember that from yeeaaaars ago. From what people commented then, those things are finicky, doesn't take much dirt/dust to clog up the channels, and they are somewhat fragile.

I am just repeating hearsay, as I do not own one, have never seen one in person, and indeed, have never been within 500 miles of an IKEA.
While the plural of "anecdote" is not "data," I can concur with everything in the first paragraph. This is also hearsay, though I've actually seen the things in person (sometimes broken) on display at IKEA.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hah, those turned up in the background of Star Trek: Picard earlier this year.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03p3kui5NIQ

They’ve even been motorized.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

TotalLossBrain posted:

that reminds me of a line I saw in a journal article about some RF spoofing method: "This is the signal-processing equivalent to playing xylophone with a cat: it's ugly and illegal, but it works."

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Wow. Magnificent perfection

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least the cat seems to like it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
tubes go drum-drum on my tum-tum

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah no, the new hot Ikea poo poo is the version of those orblights that turn into flowers when you pull a secondary cord.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Buttcoin purse posted:

Apparently this is a thing I'll probably have to do whenever I try to get my old Sun machines running again too :ohdear:

I have 10 machines I support at work with these stupid RTC chips. I've done this to 4 of them so far. I've always gone in from the top - and that makes a MUCH bigger mess than this method!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Johnny Aztec posted:

My friend has had one of those for years and everything you say is true.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Enjoy your sour lamp grapes while I read your posts from THE FUTURRRRRRRRE!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

god, if I could turn my house into a cubical farm, grant me the strength.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm the slumped posture of the guy on the right as he tries to simultaneously sit close enough to press the buttons comfortably, but low enough to read the screen without that shade on top getting in the way.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Thrift store find today:

JVC HR-3300U VCR

Not the one I bought, but otherwise same model. I stole the picture from here: http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/jvcvhsvcrmodelhr-3300u.html It has more pictures as well.

Says that this model was the FIRST one to be sold in the USA. Weighs a fuckton.

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I miss big chunky buttons on my electronics. kerPLUNK.