Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

rear end cobra posted:

“victim” lmao

also dustcat talking about grudges is pretty :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Dustcat posted:

the victim

first they came for the posters who had made extremely embarrassing posts-- and i did not speak out, for my posts were always great

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dustcat posted:

This flareup happened because once again the internet drama forum couldn't be content with laughing at the poop but had to go sticking their fingers in it. Is it that hard to quit brigading and chasing people around the forums? Several posters in this thread have sincerely expressed the opinion that that was somehow a virtuous thing to do and the victim deserved it, which is messed up and toxic as hell, and I really hope that's not officially tolerated.

Accusing mods of holding grudges also falls kinda flat when the activity being punished is specifically grudgeposting over offsite drama.

e: I would also like to repeat a point I've made a few times, which is that strict rules enable assholes to pattern their behavior to skirt them. Moderating with a good read on the situation is always better than moderating by a strict reading of the rules.

I know this is hard to understand for the people who only post ten thousand times a day in CSPAM and occasionally in QCS when one of their CSPAM posting brethren has their reputation unfairly maligned, but this website has dozens of subforums and everyone is allowed to post in all of them sight unseen.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The ban for this seems really heavy handed and may even have some kind of weird revenge/friend protection angle. If a poster who flaunted leaving the forums for good, posting his new internet posting address, saying they are never coming back, and then they come back. Maybe this should be pointed out and laughed at and remembered.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Glad to see Dustcat stop by to make the exact same post he does in every single qcs thread

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Dustcat posted:

This flareup happened because once again the internet drama forum couldn't be content with laughing at the poop but had to go sticking their fingers in it. Is it that hard to quit brigading and chasing people around the forums? Several posters in this thread have sincerely expressed the opinion that that was somehow a virtuous thing to do and the victim deserved it, which is messed up and toxic as hell, and I really hope that's not officially tolerated.

Accusing mods of holding grudges also falls kinda flat when the activity being punished is specifically grudgeposting over offsite drama.

e: I would also like to repeat a point I've made a few times, which is that strict rules enable assholes to pattern their behavior to skirt them. Moderating with a good read on the situation is always better than moderating by a strict reading of the rules.

Extremely uncool to call making fun of someone for an incredibly cringe "I'm leaving the internet forever" post as "toxic" behaviour and call them a "victim". Insulting to people who suffer actual harassment, please do better

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

CountryMatters posted:

Extremely uncool to call making fun of someone for an incredibly cringe "I'm leaving the internet forever" post as "toxic" behaviour and call them a "victim". Insulting to people who suffer actual harassment, please do better

He doesn't actually care about that. He (and many others like him) uses that specific language purposefully as a cudgel to paint the opposing viewpoint as heinously as possible. It's the tactic of a coward that works a depressing amount of time.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Banning should in general be a process, unless its something egregious like advocating for dog murder. There should be a substantial paper trail that shows yes, this person was asked to stop, explained to why they should stop and they kept doing it multiple times. Its difficult and I have hosed it up plenty of times modding but in general no one should be scratching their head wondering why someone was banned.

I already posted as much in here a few minutes ago, but at what point do time outs stop working? Like the person knows that they'll get 24/72/168/etc till ban and they still do it. If it becomes more economical to just make a throwaway account to put out that righteous copy pasted own instead of just posting tiduslaugh.

In this particular case that caused the drama now, would 24 hour bans curtail the culture already created? It would delay it at best but it will keep happening. Should moderators be forced to stick to some rote process that can be pussyfooted and taken advantage of? Should moderators not have the ability to tackle the problem more forcefully if it has a more direct effect on stopping other people from doing it?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
anyway unban hizke you fuckin psychos lol

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Those bans suck and should be reversed, but also, everyone who has posted in this thread, myself included, sucks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I realize the nazi thing was blown out of proportion and FYAD is still bitter about that but are we really going to sit here and act like lowtax kneejerk banning a bunch of people because a bunch of sycophants in twitch chat told him they were talking poo poo about him was cool and okay and nobody should have been bothered by it

smarx overreacting to lowtax being an rear end in a top hat feels like such a weird thing to be mocking a year later, it just seems like a bunch of boring personal grievances and circular arguing and not anything actually funny.

scary ghost dog posted:

I know this is hard to understand for the people who only post ten thousand times a day in CSPAM and occasionally in QCS when one of their CSPAM posting brethren has their reputation unfairly maligned, but this website has dozens of subforums and everyone is allowed to post in all of them sight unseen.

being a QCS regular is not the virtue you seem to think it is

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 6, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I already posted as much in here a few minutes ago, but at what point do time outs stop working? Like the person knows that they'll get 24/72/168/etc till ban and they still do it. If it becomes more economical to just make a throwaway account to put out that righteous copy pasted own instead of just posting tiduslaugh.

In this particular case that caused the drama now, would 24 hour bans curtail the culture already created? It would delay it at best but it will keep happening. Should moderators be forced to stick to some rote process that can be pussyfooted and taken advantage of? Should moderators not have the ability to tackle the problem more forcefully if it has a more direct effect on stopping other people from doing it?

Exactly. Banning them instead of probating them put a complete halt to the mockery of smarxist. If they had just been probated then who know what might have happened. Someone might have made a QCS thread where a large number of people all agreed that making fun of smarxist is funny because he's a pathetic loser.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

yea ok posted:

why was that poo poo even worth a “long probe”? it was in a dogshit garbage thread making fun of the offsite banme guy after saying weird funny poo poo about people who post in fyad. cspam is a fyad-lite where you talk poo poo about government and the only rules are there are no rules cause anarchy reigns. why are people getting banned or even “longly probed” lol for reposting a post from this very same website and subforum? get a loving grip

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

this is chickenshit and we both know it. ill repeat my (anonymous but not anymore) criticism i shared in the survey: the biggest problem with qcs is that without staff accountability it doesnt function. at all. mods are never accountable because "well they know their subforum culture, i will defer to their judgement" or 'i will never force a mod to explain themselves in qcs thats dogpiling". so were supposed to bring it to admins. except admins are also not accountable because "they do good work all over the site" or "theyre really busy making the forums better" when the latter seems to be rubberstamping punishments. i would again like to repeat that the suggestion of pming staff doesnt even work because they are free to ignore those pms or blow them off with a non-answer. this is literally the only response ive gotten from any staff member on this website about my issues. including the "list of forums nazis" that i begged to have removed because it harmed my friends.

the mods refuse to even stand by their most basic rear end promise of "accusing site members of bigotry without proof is punishable". how do i know? check this out

get your loving poo poo together. the reason this problem keeps rearing its head is because you all have resolved to do absolutely loving nothing and hope it goes away. you cant even stand by the statement that youre not allowed to baselessly call people on here bigots but you want to pretend this forum is a safe and caring space lmfao.

Read these posts athanatos

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

sourdough posted:

he won't

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
C-SPAM not only has entire threads dedicated to mocking posters in other forums, its posters are openly advocating for violence against other posters and go completely unpunished. This guy has been making posts like this for years and has yet to get banned by a CSPAM moderator for this behavior!

Phi230 posted:

1. There is no evidence that Biden is harm reduction in any way as compared to Trump. You are delusional, and literally making that up whole cloth.

2. Lib vermin like you have implored lesser evilism for 50 years. Doesn't seem to work, actually seems to only make things worse. Yet you keep trying

At what point do we just start dealing with libs like vitamin p and the DnD morons like chuds; ie a fist to the face

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

yea but at least he didn't copy and paste someone's super cringe banme post, then the mods would really have to step in!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LinYutang posted:

C-SPAM not only has entire threads dedicated to mocking posters in other forums, its posters are openly advocating for violence against other posters and go completely unpunished. This guy has been making posts like this for years and has yet to get banned by a CSPAM moderator for this behavior!

why do you have this random post from April just saved offhand to pull out at an opportune moment. This is what people are talking about when they make fun of QCS whiners lmao

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

sourdough posted:

The last post Athanatos made in this thread was an explicit lie about their motivation for approving the bans. They have no interest in approaching this with any degree of honesty.

Augus posted:

why do you have this random post from April just saved offhand to pull out at an opportune moment. This is what people are talking about when they make fun of QCS whiners lmao

Augus posted:

I realize the nazi thing was blown out of proportion and FYAD is still bitter about that but are we really going to sit here and act like lowtax kneejerk banning a bunch of people because a bunch of sycophants in twitch chat told him they were talking poo poo about him was cool and okay and nobody should have been bothered by it

smarx overreacting to lowtax being an rear end in a top hat feels like such a weird thing to be mocking a year later, it just seems like a bunch of boring personal grievances and circular arguing and not anything actually funny.

being a QCS regular is not the virtue you seem to think it is

Does anyone know what this moron is talking about?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

If you say fyad in a mirror three times a bunch of guys with kids show avatars appear to post that actually posting cringe poo poo is normal lmao and if you notice it you're being abusive lmao

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i gotta keep it real, i dont see any problem with cspam officially making a rule saying "no helldumping". thats a reasonable rule to have. people might break that rule but i wouldnt turn up my nose at cspam having a rule against helldumping. of course, then you would have to, yknow, enforce it equally like how smarxist in this thread was quoted as calling out fluffdaddy for "simping for bigots(..?????)" but that would be a fair rule to have. what i do see a problem with is dropping bans on people for this without any warning. i dont see any world where that makes sense as a decision. so reverse the bans, maybe slap on a week probation or something if you want to be severe, or a day probation if you want to be reasonable, because quoting peoples posts back at them is not some high crime that must be punished by death.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9tcA_AM4BE

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Looking forward to reading funny Bloom posts after the pardon goes through.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

pog boyfriend posted:

i gotta keep it real, i dont see any problem with cspam officially making a rule saying "no helldumping". thats a reasonable rule to have. people might break that rule but i wouldnt turn up my nose at cspam having a rule against helldumping. of course, then you would have to, yknow, enforce it equally like how smarxist in this thread was quoted as calling out fluffdaddy for "simping for bigots(..?????)" but that would be a fair rule to have. what i do see a problem with is dropping bans on people for this without any warning. i dont see any world where that makes sense as a decision. so reverse the bans, maybe slap on a week probation or something if you want to be severe, or a day probation if you want to be reasonable, because quoting peoples posts back at them is not some high crime that must be punished by death.

Or maybe no probations at all. Just a thought

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

pog boyfriend posted:

Quoting a single post made on these forums back at someone multiple times isn't helldumping, I mean it isn't even harassment, smarxist said in this thread it didn't bother him

Lucavi
May 12, 2002

His eyes are tied

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Maybe in the future Bloom & other posters can avoid continuously posting in other subforums specifically to make fun of people. That way, they won't get punished for doing that, in the most predictable turn of events ever. Good ban.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Syenite posted:

Maybe in the future Bloom & other posters can avoid continuously posting in other subforums specifically to make fun of people. That way, they won't get punished for doing that, in the most predictable turn of events ever. Good ban.

Speaking of extremely predictable turns of event, look who's here to ignore the actual discussion so they can offer disingenuous summaries of events in an attempt to discredit their posting nemeses. Do you really want to argue that mods should be allowed to arbitrarily ban people who post in their subforums without warning or oversight?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

pardon if i was unclear everyone, i am not advocating punishing hizke or bloom at all. my point was simply that if you had to punish them, 1 week would be an unfairly harsh punishment, and 1 day would be considered reasonable. in this context a ban is clearly excessive to the point of reflecting poorly on the moderator and admin involved in the decision to use a ban in this case

Syenite posted:

anyway heres you going into the peace thread to specifically make fun of fluffdaddy

Syenite posted:

Nah I'm basically just laughing at the mod that continues to prove why everyone left his fiefdom, don't really care about people taco-posting

Syenite posted:

Frankly I was just kinda astonished that you would try to fit in with FYAD after all the poo poo that went down. Kinda proves how much of a hellsite this place is.

Like I'm halfway certain this was just bait to pull in disenfranchised TGRS posters that I fell for.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Augus posted:

I realize the nazi thing was blown out of proportion and FYAD is still bitter about that but

Stopped reading here, as this is an ongoing underlying issue on the forums in general. I'm just supposed to smile and take this while the same people are in charge here? No thank you

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

pog boyfriend posted:

The "don't whine about D&D in CSPAM." was pretty much the "no helldumping" rule because C-SPAMers would helldump D&D posts there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

the smarxist post from a year ago that this entire thread is centered around, try to keep up

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

GoutPatrol posted:

The "don't whine about D&D in CSPAM." was pretty much the "no helldumping" rule because C-SPAMers would helldump D&D posts there.

very intuitive, extremely clearly written

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
This isn't that loving hard. Are the mods/admins egos so loving fragile that they'd rather not lose face than overturn an obviously bullshit ban? What the gently caress? Must be some weird cliques in those circles for this to not have happened yet.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Augus posted:

the smarxist post from a year ago that this entire thread is centered around, try to keep up

Ah, I understand. You and smarxist are birds of a feather so when we read an embarrassing five paragraph banme post, what you're reading is an impassioned plea for civility and hope in the face of bigotry. Well, I'm glad I don't live in your world, where stupid and pathetic losers are noble quixotic warriors. You can continue living in your fantasy world and I'll continue engaging with reality, and let's not ever interact with each other again please.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GoutPatrol posted:

It seems like a good "no helldumping" rule would be, for example, if it said "no he'll dumping", instead of that, which no one was doing here. At least if that was a rule when a mod has an anxiety attack and bans three people for posting about being outside there's an actual rule they were attempting to enforce

scary ghost dog posted:

Ah, I understand. You and smarxist are birds of a feather so when we read an embarrassing five paragraph banme post, what you're reading is an impassioned plea for civility and hope in the face of bigotry. Well, I'm glad I don't live in your world, where stupid and pathetic losers are noble quixotic warriors. You can continue living in your fantasy world and I'll continue engaging with reality, and let's not ever interact with each other again please.

Reading this post and nodding like Jack Nicholson in the shining

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

I gotta say, this guy with the cartoon avatar talking about how making fun of someone's embarrassing post is passe while at the same time saying "lol that threat of violence is from months ago dude" might not be the most well adjusted of individuals.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah that’s exactly what I said, you’re doing great. keep this up and you might even reach the level of Online Brain to be a mod yourself

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think there's something very strange going on with CSPAM's moderation when a dog murder post gets a three day slap on the wrist and gently ribbing a guy by reminding him of the all time hall of fame terrible post he made gets two people banned

Those two things occuring, within 24 hours of each other. That seems odd to me

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Free Hizke and Bloom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

multijoe posted:

I think there's something very strange going on with CSPAM's moderation when a dog murder post gets a three day slap on the wrist and gently ribbing a guy by reminding him of the all time hall of fame terrible post he made gets two people banned

Those two things occuring, within 24 hours of each other. That seems odd to me
Crusty Nutsack, twoday, Rah!, Sir Tonk, Homeless Friend, Squizzle, Chokes McGee, Mayor Dave, Internet Wizard, Shear Modulus, Lawman 0, 22 Eargesplitten, Flavius Aetass, Venomous, Lightning Knight, joepinetree, BrutalistMcDonalds, Spaced God, brugroffil, Bearjew, Judge Dredd Scott, Phil Layshow, and lumpentroll promise to do better moving forward.