Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KillHour posted:

S/PDIF is almost always coaxial. You're thinking of Toslink.

Righto. It’s not optical, but it is still digital and putting a magnet on it is still :psyduck:

But OP said optical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Righto. It’s not optical, but it is still digital and putting a magnet on it is still :psyduck:

But OP said optical

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

It's not that weird.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Chokes aren't wierd. Reveal Magnetic Conduction is still peak audiophile nonsense, though.

"Magnetic Conduction by nature is so unique that these cables really shouldn’t even be called "cables" as they work from a completely different electrical model."

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

KillHour posted:

S/PDIF is almost always coaxial. You're thinking of Toslink.

I've only ever heard S/PDIF used when referring to optical cables. :shrug: Coaxial is just coaxial.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ruflux posted:

I've only ever heard S/PDIF used when referring to optical cables. :shrug: Coaxial is just coaxial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

Most receivers just call it "Digital Audio" but technically, S/PDIF is the format.

Edit: I admit my wording was weird. What I meant to say was S/PDIF could be transmitted over either optical or coax, with the optical connector specifically being TOSLINK.

Have a video that goes in way too much depth on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICcEOXVZ3F0

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 4, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You plug the QSource into a wall socket and run bright green DC cables from it to the QPoints, which resemble hockey pucks. The claims that Nordost advances for the QPoint are intriguing: “The QPoint Resonance Synchronizer emits a subtle field which manipulates all electromechanical resonances within its immediate proximity so that they resonate in unison with each other.” The idea seems to be that in an individual component, parts like capacitors are vibrating. These vibrations become an inadvertent source of noise. Nordost says that the QPoint “eliminates this internal electrical noise,” thereby enhancing the coherency and timing that are at the heart of an audio system.

There are two settings for the QPoint—you get to choose which resonances you prefer. I went with the blue setting, which is said to operate more quickly than the green one. The aim throughout is to try and lower the noise floor.

In my view, the QPoint does that. After Taylor inserted the QPoints underneath my dCS Vivaldi stack, I heard an instant improvement in musical clarity and precision. Small but significant details that had previously been obscured were now apparent. Deploying it under the Ypsilon PST-100 Mk. II preamplifier and Wilson Audio active crossover offered further, if not quite as substantial benefits.

Take a lovely but somewhat troubled recording on the Erato label of the French harpsichordist Jean Rondeau playing Bach concertos. I don’t know how it is with you, but there are some recordings that are captivating musically but aggravating sonically. This is one of them. The promise is all there: great performance and even greater music. But the orchestra, particularly its bass line, has always sounded muddy. With the introduction of the QPoints, the orchestra really snapped into place. It was like a photo that went from blurry to sharp in the blink of an eye. It was a sheer pleasure to hear the interplay between the harpsichord and orchestra on the Concerto in D minor. What a revelation!

It was also possible to discern improvements on CDs that were well recorded. On a recent CD of trumpet recordings by Matthias Hofs playing with the Bremen chamber orchestra on the Berlin Classics label, I was quite sure that the playback sounded airier and more precise. On the Telemann Concerto in D major, which is one of the more treacherous trumpet solos, I heard a pinch more air in the treble as well as improved transients. There was just a shade more pop in the explosive passages of the concerto to be heard from Hof’s piccolo trumpet. These are subtle differences, but when added up they combine to produce a larger musical whole. The result is a more engaging and engrossing performance, one step closer to the real thing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I like how they assume the recording was made in such ideal conditions that it would reproduce with such exquisite fidelity, and the key to making it sound more perfect is magic rocks on cords.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I like how they assume the recording was made in such ideal conditions that it would reproduce with such exquisite fidelity, and the key to making it sound more perfect is magic rocks on cords.

I want to make my listening environment and playback setup so pristine and revealing that I hear the mixing engineer fart. I want to hear the vibrations of the road noise from outside the studio. I want to hear the guitarist’s girlfriend doing lines of blow in the studio bathroom

evilcat
May 16, 2009
I love how they take a real thing (components vibrating) and use it to sell magic hockey pucks rather than ten cents of Silastic to be gooped into the gear. Or instead of saying that even sub par questionable ebay electronics will use silastic, do they believe it has some negative impact on the sound of the amplifier?
How long until they sell a resonant device that is supposed to enhance the 'good' resonances from your amp to make the soundstage more open or something.

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015

Some Goon posted:

Sure, but the expensive crap sells because it's expensive. Can't brag to your friends about a $650 setup even if it does sound better than a $65,000 one.

Yeah, but the $650 audio setup has approximately 64350 advantages over the $65000 audio setup, if you catch my drift.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

binaryhermit posted:

Yeah, but the $650 audio setup has approximately 64350 advantages over the $65000 audio setup, if you catch my drift.

Exponentially more if you’re comparing a $650 setup from a good manufacturer vs a $65k kit build that some boomer made in his garage in batches of 10 and CNC’d his name onto

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm gonna post here instead of quick audio questions. Want help with proper placement of my speakers as I just picked up a set of surrounds to round out my system, and am about to redo the living room. Here is how its going to be

Right now the TV is where the hall entrance is on the diagram. The sectional (gray boxes, plus ottoman) is really dumb against the opposite wall pictured, to the far right, so the end of the L is sticking out in the middle of the floor, like I said its all dumb. So I'm closing up the current hall entrance and swapping places with the TV/speakers, sectional can go cleanly against the wall and everything should be nice and tidy. There is an indent pictured that encloses the chimney for my furnace, so I had shelves installed in between that and the wall. I'm going to be placing my components there, right now its used for movies. The sub is currently under those shelves, I'm quite satisfied with the bass since adding it recently, but am I handicapping myself having it tucked in there, even though its front firing? The diagram is a bit misleading with regards to spacing, the living room is 12x15', its much more cramped than it appears (especially now as thats what its hypothetically going to be after christmas).

The main reason I'm posting is the surrounds, particularly the right one. Should I mount it more near the right of the sectional and just tilt it to the left towards it, rather than having it way over on the opposite wall where no ones sitting? I read 6' height is about right, is that correct?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

codo27 posted:

I'm gonna post here instead of quick audio questions. Want help with proper placement of my speakers as I just picked up a set of surrounds to round out my system, and am about to redo the living room. Here is how its going to be

Right now the TV is where the hall entrance is on the diagram. The sectional (gray boxes, plus ottoman) is really dumb against the opposite wall pictured, to the far right, so the end of the L is sticking out in the middle of the floor, like I said its all dumb. So I'm closing up the current hall entrance and swapping places with the TV/speakers, sectional can go cleanly against the wall and everything should be nice and tidy. There is an indent pictured that encloses the chimney for my furnace, so I had shelves installed in between that and the wall. I'm going to be placing my components there, right now its used for movies. The sub is currently under those shelves, I'm quite satisfied with the bass since adding it recently, but am I handicapping myself having it tucked in there, even though its front firing? The diagram is a bit misleading with regards to spacing, the living room is 12x15', its much more cramped than it appears (especially now as thats what its hypothetically going to be after christmas).

The main reason I'm posting is the surrounds, particularly the right one. Should I mount it more near the right of the sectional and just tilt it to the left towards it, rather than having it way over on the opposite wall where no ones sitting? I read 6' height is about right, is that correct?

You want your L and R surrounds to be as close to equidistant from the listener as possible, so yeah that Right Surround should be much closer to the sectional.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

codo27 posted:

I'm gonna post here instead of quick audio questions.

Don't do that

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Post a photo, a floor plan isn’t going to help us mock your carpet.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

You want your L and R surrounds to be as close to equidistant from the listener as possible, so yeah that Right Surround should be much closer to the sectional.

This is true, but my surround sound crystals overcome this limitation by altering the gravity of your room's sound stage. Only $400/ea. Call now.

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

Exponentially more if you’re comparing a $650 setup from a good manufacturer vs a $65k kit build that some boomer made in his garage in batches of 10 and CNC’d his name onto

(Whoosh)

But yeah, a good $650 setup could be significantly better SQ than a crap $65k setup.

And even a good $65k setup isn't going to be $64350 better than a crap $650 setup, unless you've got gently caress you money.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

codo27 posted:

As long as the tweeters are pointed at your ears you're good. I'd always try and make sure they were at ear height though rather than loving around with wall mounts and aiming them. It's bad enough measuring distances and loving around with levels as it is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

codo27 posted:

Here's a plan:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Post a photo, a floor plan isn’t going to help us mock your carpet.

I dont have carpet but I want it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm looking for dac for my desktop, I already got a setup in my tv and wanted to bin these logitech speakers, I'm looking at these two currently
IFi Audio Zen Dac
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100

To eventually connect to an amp and bookshelves speakers what's a safe bet?

edit: don't need a headphone out actually

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 8, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

I'm looking for dac for my desktop, I already got a setup in my tv and wanted to bin these logitech speakers, I'm looking at these two currently
IFi Audio Zen Dac
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100

To eventually connect to an amp and bookshelves speakers what's a safe bet?

edit: don't need a headphone out actually

Burn your desk it's too ugly for this world.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Burn your desk it's too ugly for this world.

it is very inflammable being a slab of wood

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Honest Thief posted:

it is very inflammable being a slab of wood

https://youtu.be/Q8mD2hsxrhQ

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

this is why we don't help people.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

There are two good places for actual audio questions.

shortspecialbus posted:

Ask HERE or HERE rather than the thread that's for mocking audiophiles.

If you want to tell us why actually having crystals mounted diagonally from your turntable helps the sound or why your cable risers actually help avoid cosmic rays or espouse the virtues of your wooden volume knob, this is a great thread for it.

It's a godawful thread for audio questions. Use any of the actual ones.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
im still stuck on the phase where you buy a a 2nd hand dac and later realise it only does headphone out
will check those threads, thanks

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Headphone out can become anything out if you have the right cable :eng101:

It should be 99.999^99% oxygen free unobtanium and have magic crystals taped to the $1000 cable risers of course

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

don't forget the brilliant pebbles, blackbodies, and redundant dacs

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I realized most DACs do not sound different whatsoever. The issue is that a lot have extra poo poo like headphone amps that can be basically anything. Opamps though, same difference. The operational amplifier CAN sound different.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Here's a question: is there much of a difference between optical out and aux out?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Alan_Shore posted:

Here's a question: is there much of a difference between optical out and aux out?

Audiophiles would never use optical because the bits get all out of order as the light bounces around in their non-gold-plated optical cables. Plus it lightens the sound too much.

If you're actually asking a real question you need to provide more info about what you mean by "aux out" and then

shortspecialbus posted:

Ask HERE or HERE rather than the thread that's for mocking audiophiles.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Audiophiles would never use optical because the bits get all out of order as the light bounces around in their non-gold-plated optical cables. Plus it lightens the sound too much.

If you're actually asking a real question you need to provide more info about what you mean by "aux out" and then

I have embarrassed myself.

I was just interested if optical out was better than your standard L R audio cables, because in my mind surely red light is better.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Alan_Shore posted:

I have embarrassed myself.

I was just interested if optical out was better than your standard L R audio cables, because in my mind surely red light is better.

If you're talking digital, which optical is, then no. If the signal gets there, it's exactly the same, regardless of the carrier medium. That doesn't stop audiophools, though.

But yeah, there's actual threads for questions like yours that won't be as snarky as us.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you're talking digital, which optical is, then no. If the signal gets there, it's exactly the same, regardless of the carrier medium. That doesn't stop audiophools, though.

But yeah, there's actual threads for questions like yours that won't be as snarky as us.

There's a lot of :actually: with S/PDIF because it's a lovely, old format and doesn't have enough bandwidth to do more than 2 channels of uncompressed audio and doesn't support lossless compression for 5.1/7.1.

Basically, if you're sending two channel (stereo) audio, it's identical to using RCA. For surround sound, it doesn't support any of the modern formats and is generally not ideal but will still work "fine" for most people. HDMI is just way better in every way though so use that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah but one major benefit. Electrical isolation! loving usb noise is not a minor problem.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

just like you don't actually need lossless music, you don't actually need lossless surround sound. just gimme a 5.1 ac3 stream til im dead in the ground

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

polyester concept posted:

just like you don't actually need lossless music, you don't actually need lossless surround sound. just gimme a 5.1 ac3 stream til im dead in the ground

If the audio industry had focused on really selling people on 5.1 (ideally 5.2 IMO) and making it truly ubiquitous and accessible, instead of immediately treating it like the scrub-tier and pivoting to upselling consumers on 7/9/11/13/etc channels, then the state of home theater audio and the relative value that people could get out of multichannel audio and multichannel mixing would be much higher.

As it stands, you still get way more bang/buck and come out on the right side of the diminishing returns curve in terms of completing the “cinema experience” with the biggest, baddest, bassiest front R/L stereo you can afford/fit over pretty much any surround sound setup for similar money/with smaller speakers, and that’s a shame.

Don’t fewer than 10% of US households have 5.1 or higher? In 2020? And now more people would rather hook up their <$1k 75” 4K screens to soundbars, Bluetooth speakers, and smart speakers than to a receiver.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it doesn't help that modern home designs make it so loving awkward to place anything anywhere without it being in the way somehow. everything is open concept. just give people a rectangular room for christ sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
a pair of Klipsch La Scalas, two large SVS subs, probably literally any 2-channel amplifier given the sensitivity of the La Scalas, and I guess throw in some kind of stereo subwoofer crossover if you wanna be fancy and do it “right”, will kick the poo poo out of pretty much any Atmos setup you could cobble together that isn’t itself made out of Klipsch La Scalas or similar if we’re thinking in terms of “immersion” and “impact”