Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I scored Spence/Garcia 118-110 Spence. Other than rounds 9 and 10 when Spence seemed to be taking a breather, he mostly controlled the fight with his jab and basically just outclassed Garcia, who's more of a B+/A- level fighter, whereas Spence is a solid A level fighter.

As for Spence/Crawford, I'm not sure who's the better fighter at this point, but I will say that Spence is a much bigger guy. Spence typically comes into camps at 190, he's almost 5'10 with a 6 foot reach, he could easily be campaigning at junior middleweight. Meanwhile, Crawford is a former lightweight with a whole junior welterweight career behind him. Hard to see Crawford overcoming Spence's size and speed unless Crawford is a truly generational talent, which he may be.

Hopefully the fight happens next year, because if it doesn't it's starting to get to the point where Crawford may be past his prime, whereas Spence will still be in his.

Anybody getting generational vibes from this situation? Like, Crawford is justthisclose to getting a major fight in that division but it's clear that everybody else has their round robin going and don't want to upset the flow. Reminds me of Aaron Pryor wanting to campaign at welterweight (he even interrupted a few Sugar Ray Leonard and Tommy Hearns appearances) but never got them. Crawford is in the division and still doesn't get a whiff besides Porter acknowledging he's a mandatory. Spence is a big, polished dude but Crawford's style is just...mean. Maybe that leads to Spence knocking him out from too many chances against a guy that big, but I'd love to see him try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

balancedbias posted:

Anybody getting generational vibes from this situation? Like, Crawford is justthisclose to getting a major fight in that division but it's clear that everybody else has their round robin going and don't want to upset the flow. Reminds me of Aaron Pryor wanting to campaign at welterweight (he even interrupted a few Sugar Ray Leonard and Tommy Hearns appearances) but never got them. Crawford is in the division and still doesn't get a whiff besides Porter acknowledging he's a mandatory. Spence is a big, polished dude but Crawford's style is just...mean. Maybe that leads to Spence knocking him out from too many chances against a guy that big, but I'd love to see him try.

well Pryor ended up getting his big day against Alexis Argüello, and yeah I can see some comparisons between Bud's style and HAWK TIME

(thankfully we won't have to worry about bottles that Panama Lewis mixed this time round)

e: remember when someone said the future is old guys and YouTubers? well...
https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1335718214534373387?s=20

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 7, 2020

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Troy Queef posted:

e: remember when someone said the future is old guys and YouTubers? well...
https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1335718214534373387?s=20

its never going to end

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Why would anyone want to watch that?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/gervontaa/status/1335720017091047426?s=21

Lol I will probably watch

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I’m gonna watch it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Big same. It's me, the boxing pleb with no taste.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Legend has it that Pryor was too scary and good and that nobody wanted to fight him. I grew up watching him and believe it.

Also, god damned, Floyd is so boring to watch. I can't imagine anyone paying to watch him fight especially in an exhibition. He's a great boxer but his fights put me to loving sleep. He's also a giant rear end in a top hat and I've never liked him.

Is this trash really where the sport is at?

Speaking of growing up watching boxing/Pryor, someone brought up the mid 80's as probably the best the sport has ever been and I think they're right, certainly in the lower weight classes. Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Barkely, Sanchez, Paz, Whitaker, Arguello...then you had Holyfield, Tyson, Holmes, Spinks...

I remember when just about every fight on HBO in the 80's was a loving barn burner.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i hate everything about this.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it's an exhibition he won't even get knocked out

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Declan MacManus posted:

it's an exhibition he won't even get knocked out

I feel like the hardest thing about fighting Logan Paul for Mayweather would be not knocking him out.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Ducking the best Paul brother :rolleyes:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

blue footed boobie posted:

I feel like the hardest thing about fighting Logan Paul for Mayweather would be not knocking him out.

he put macgregor over for 10 rounds, i'm sure he can imagine 6 rounds of lightly slapping logan paul around where they aren't keeping score

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
FWIW there's actually a pretty interesting pricing model though I'm not sure what it means for those going through cable/satellite pay per view. I'm guessing those will just end up being the standard $69 (nice).99

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1335719634583085056

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
"Buy it at a cheap price now before we say it sold 1 million and we increase the price"

That's not half bad of a way to get people to buy it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The fact that this is even happening combined with that price model makes me think Floyd needs money bad

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

https://www.boxingscene.com/tyson-vs-jones-exhibition-nets-16-million-ppv-buys-says-triller-owner--153820

drat, 1.6 million ppv buys for Tyson v. RJJ. What an event.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

The fact that this is even happening combined with that price model makes me think Floyd needs money bad

wouldn't surprise me

and now Floyd's last three fights have been against, in order: a MMA fighter who was doing it to launch his mediocre whisky brand/make Dana F. White more needless money, a 5'4" kickboxer on the Saitama Omisoka card with weird rules, and now a Youtuber in an exhibition.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Brut posted:

Why would anyone want to watch that?

I have zero interest in boxing generally but the idea of seeing Logan Paul get his rear end beat by a real boxer is pretty loving compelling.

TBF I'll just end up watching some clips or whatever so I won't actually be paying anything for it (god forbid).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

blue footed boobie posted:

Floyd doesn't have huge power and Paul outweighs him by 50lbs.
PBF could stop him with punches easily, but it wouldn't be a sweet one shot KO.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Obviously, Floyd could be in a coma for ten years and have a lobotomy on the part of his brain that knows how to box and still be 2000% the boxer Paul is, but at least it still has that weight difference going for it.

Not like Paul can land a punch with any power behind it on Floyd but you know, it has one bullet point of interest.
The objective funniest, and therefore best outcome of this is Paul clips him with a wild, garbage hook that knocks Floyd out cold.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Best outcome is double knockout with both launching sweet hooks to the jaw simultaneously.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Why can't one of the Paul brothers step *up* a weight class or two instead. Deontay Vs Jake Paul. I'd pay to watch that 1 round bloodbath.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Quizzlefish posted:

Best outcome is double knockout with both launching sweet hooks to the jaw simultaneously.

Would a double KO count as a loss for both or a draw for both, cos if it's a L for both, that's definitely funnier than a clean Floyd KO on a fluke.

I think they should invent time travel and fight Earnie Shavers though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Obviously, Floyd could be in a coma for ten years and have a lobotomy on the part of his brain that knows how to box and still be 2000% the boxer Paul is, but at least it still has that weight difference going for it.

If Paul is smart, he'll just be as dirty as possible in the clinch and catch a lot of warnings.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Would a double KO count as a loss for both or a draw for both, cos if it's a L for both, that's definitely funnier than a clean Floyd KO on a fluke.

I think they should invent time travel and fight Earnie Shavers though.

One of the greatest defensive boxers in history eating a haymaker from a YouTube star would definitely be funnier than a double KO imho.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

I have zero interest in boxing generally but the idea of seeing Logan Paul get his rear end beat by a real boxer is pretty loving compelling.

TBF I'll just end up watching some clips or whatever so I won't actually be paying anything for it (god forbid).

You know, at the time of posting I had in my mind Mike's exhibition and was thinking I don't wanna watch Floyd play-fight with youtubers for easy millions, but I'm now thinking back to the Tenshin exhibition and uh, he did not hesitate to try and knock Tenshin in to orbit.

So yeah, if he's really gonna go after him, I'd wanna see it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
he also had the kind of size on tenshin that paul will have on floyd, which im sure makes it easier to flatline a child

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Iirc Floyd seemed he was willing to carry Tenshin but then Tenshin got a little fresh and it seemed like Floyd just said "gently caress it" and went in

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

the nasukawa fight was hilarious. if the paul fight is anywhere near as funny, it will absolutely be worth the zero dollars i will pay to watch it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

double negative posted:

the nasukawa fight was hilarious. if the paul fight is anywhere near as funny, it will absolutely be worth the zero dollars i will pay to watch it

lol

The SituAsian posted:

FWIW there's actually a pretty interesting pricing model though I'm not sure what it means for those going through cable/satellite pay per view. I'm guessing those will just end up being the standard $69 (nice).99

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1335719634583085056

this is legit a great idea. i will never pay money for this horseshit, but this is a great idea.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Meh, for $25 I’ll probably get it. It’ll probably be entertaining enough that it’s money well spent.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

there's a tiny but somewhat genuine wonder if the paul fight's not actually the most dangerous of the three "floyd needs money circus fight" trilogy purely because of the weight difference, 'cos nasukawa never had a prayer and conor lasted exactly as long as floyd wanted him and that was always going to be the case to so a big(ger) dude just flailing like a child might bring the victory chance for floyd down to 99.999999999% instead of 100%

and thats how they'll get their PPV buys i guess.
not from me, i'm not giving them a penny, i'll watch the streamable highlight on r/boxing

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
No, you can't beat the best boxer on the planet even by accident even if you outweigh him by 50lbs

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

there's a tiny but somewhat genuine wonder if the paul fight's not actually the most dangerous of the three "floyd needs money circus fight" trilogy purely because of the weight difference, 'cos nasukawa never had a prayer and conor lasted exactly as long as floyd wanted him and that was always going to be the case to so a big(ger) dude just flailing like a child might bring the victory chance for floyd down to 99.999999999% instead of 100%

and thats how they'll get their PPV buys i guess.
not from me, i'm not giving them a penny, i'll watch the streamable highlight on r/boxing

Conor didn't lose technically. He got tired and the ref didn't let him catch his second wind. Therefore it was a DQ in favor of Conor since the referee cheated.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

next time he should hire bigfoots voodoo wizards to hex floyd so he can win outright

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don’t think he’s run out of money as much just loving money always needing to make as much of it as possible while doing the least work.

He actually makes an ok amount from promoting as well, don’t forget.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jump King posted:

I don’t think he’s run out of money as much just loving money always needing to make as much of it as possible while doing the least work.

He actually makes an ok amount from promoting as well, don’t forget.

I mean, he may be doing fine. But I don't really see the point of that progressive PPV pricing structure unless you need money right now.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mean, he may be doing fine. But I don't really see the point of that progressive PPV pricing structure unless you need money right now.

its his money, he needs it now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

LobsterMobster posted:

its his money, he needs it now!

I dunno, I think it's pretty clever because it creates FOMO to both drive early sales (FOMO on that good price) and late sales (FOMO on an event that is building hype).

I should say I don't often end up paying for PPV because of a combination of it being needlessly difficult in the USA and the pricing generally, but I paid for Connor McGregor and, if this early price gets me under cards as well, gently caress it, 24.99 is fine to me.