Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sekenr posted:

I didn't follow development too closely but now I watched some gamepley videos and they kind of look like garbage graphics wise? It kinda looks worse than even Witcher 3 not to mention GTAV or RDR

If you're watching the leaked vids that's all PS4/XBone gameplay. There's supposed to be a patch sometime next year to upgrade it for the PS5/XBOX-whatever-the-gently caress-their-naming-scheme-is. And yeah it looks kinda crappy on those systems.

There's no PC gameplay out in the wild except what CDPR has on their official youtube and marketing channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Turin Turambar posted:

Geralt isn't so bad! The comedic quests and his low key sarcasm help a lot, and he really has a heart of gold, which (well, I guess it depends of your choices) can be seen at several points.

About producing depressing games and characters, I actually suspect this game is going to be depressing as gently caress. They seem to be all in in 'this is a serious dystopia'. It's another point where I feel the game will be pretty different from GTA.

It might be set in a serious dystopia, but it's still full of relatable people and heartwarming moments (according to press).

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sekenr posted:

I didn't follow development too closely but now I watched some gamepley videos and they kind of look like garbage graphics wise? It kinda looks worse than even Witcher 3 not to mention GTAV or RDR

You're watching unfinished, unpatched gameplay sent through god knows what compression to be put on video

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can’t imagine watching any of the footage released, even the PS4/Xbone versions pre-patch and thinking this game looks poor graphically.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Sekenr posted:

turns out playing an intensive game on garbage hardware results in garbage graphics

who knew, right?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I wonder if they'll fix the driving physics in the day one patch. Unless it's a new futuristic security feature in cars where most car crashes seem to result in one of the cars ramping over the other car.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
lmao what is up with this 3 hour guy and fences?

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Personally, what I hoped in my dreams is to have a parallel 'cyber virtual world' in where dive in as an expert hacker, and also seems I won't have that. In fact, imo, they have directed the entire lore to make that impossible and to have only small LANs where you only quickhack things, as a way to explain you cannot cyber-dive in in this game (basically Internet imploded and was infested with military grade malware and rogue AI and was firewalled), despite the concept being a staple of the genre.
It seems there will be a pair of story missions where you do it (see 2019 gameplay video with the Voodoo boys), but that's it.

Yeah thats kind of a drainer. One of the coolest things about the Shadowrun trilogy for me was when things would get strange when it came to the net/matrix. Like it was a realm that had taken on a life of its own.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Shoehead posted:

lmao what is up with this 3 hour guy and fences?

he is very braindead and even puts up text about raiding a transgender discord at one point?? wish they would just let us have proper previews up so i didn’t give this guy my clicks

there is another 3 hrs of him as a part 2 floating around as well

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jackie shouts "¡Los hijos de la chingada también están aquí!" in combat which is kind of funny, as a Spanish guy. That 'también' (it means also) doesn't make any sense to be there. He is shouting 'The motherfuckers/sonvoabitches are also here!'.

edit: man some of the physics/collision bugs are hilarious. I won't post them, but one with a bike actually put me a smile on my face.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 7, 2020

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I can’t imagine watching any of the footage released, even the PS4/Xbone versions pre-patch and thinking this game looks poor graphically.

I was reading something the other day and some dude was aghast that the game doesn't look next gen. I agree with him to be honest, just don't understand how a PS4 game looks like a PS4 game even when it's on a PS5...... ... ...

I reckon this game is going to look pretty great on an amazing PC, but running at 60fps on the next gen consoles is also a nice boost to the game and I'd rather have that than more bells and whistles at 30.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I was reading something the other day and some dude was aghast that the game doesn't look next gen. I agree with him to be honest, just don't understand how a PS4 game looks like a PS4 game even when it's on a PS5...... ... ...

I reckon this game is going to look pretty great on an amazing PC, but running at 60fps on the next gen consoles is also a nice boost to the game and I'd rather have that than more bells and whistles at 30.

Bear in mind though that this game was first supposed to release back in 2019, so it was never going to be "a PS5 game" at release.

What you've got now is a PS4 game that's backwards compatible to run on a PS5 but its not a PS5 game per se. Next year is when they'll be releasing the upgraded "PS5 version", for free to people who already own the game which is quite nice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Oh yeah, completely and if it's not clear, I was taking the mick of people who are confused that the game still looks PS4 generation, except on the full RTX on nVidia marketing videos with rendered on hardware no consumer will have for two years from now.

It's pretty arguable that the PS5 and Series X were rushed out of the oven a bit early so the situation with Cyberpunk is both a PS4-gen game launching later than intended which is crossing over with a console gen that is early and their next gen version is probably on the time-scale they thought the SX/PS5 would be launching on.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Hocus Pocus posted:

Yeah thats kind of a drainer. One of the coolest things about the Shadowrun trilogy for me was when things would get strange when it came to the net/matrix. Like it was a realm that had taken on a life of its own.

I don't know if posting lore poo poo should be spoilered but you know, I will just in case. But short answer, that all exists in this setting too, and long answer... well:

So everything got hosed in 2023, Mike Pondsmith essentially blew up the entire setting including the Net, but it isn't as simple as it being just turned off or whatever. Some nutjob genius hacker decided they were going to turbofuck the internet in the case of their possible murder, and they were already living in a tube at that point. They ended up ruining most of the data online, (this messes with human culture in CP 3.0m the one with the barbie dolls that I don't think is canon now?) and also infested the Net with self replicating programs that a) murder anyone they find logged in and b) look just like Rache Bartmoss because he was THAT much of an rear end in a top hat. On top of that the Net was already full of weird poo poo, AIs of varying complexity and even full on Neuromancer-style copies of people's minds are stuck there. They banded together to form communities for saftey, which coupled with the killer programs roaming around made NetWatch (think InterPol but for the Net) seal off most of the ways into the Net for everyone's safety, this is the Blackwall that was in one of the gameplay reveals. Then while all the rebuilding from the War was going on individual cities set up their LANs, most are city-wide but cities are linked together too.

There's ways to tunnel in from the LANS to the larger Net, where all the spooky weird poo poo is and I hope what we see IG is more than just you plug in and talk to someone once or some poo poo. Don't ask me how the two systems are supposed to be able to talk to each other or why there would still be an old internet running apparently on still powered servers in a cooled room in the middle of a ruined city for 40+ years. The answer is probably "Because it's more fun this way"

I dunno if you're able to see inside most normal systems in 2077, like in 2020 you would go off and almost play a separate game to hack poo poo, including being mentally in a 3d space you could traverse. It apparently slowed poo poo way way down and everyone who wasn't playing a Netrunner would have to sit and wait while they played this minigame to like.. hack an atm or whatever. But whatever there is a big, old spooky haunted matrix internet in the setting is my main point.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Didn't watch too much of that video because I'm hoping to just enjoy this fresh but saw him shoot a car a couple times in its tire causing it to catch on fire and then blow up. Not what you expect to see from AAA game of the year bait.

Man I hope if its a janky mess the jank is like, Skyrim, not Andromeda

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mad Wack posted:

he is very braindead and even puts up text about raiding a transgender discord at one point?? wish they would just let us have proper previews up so i didn’t give this guy my clicks

there is another 3 hrs of him as a part 2 floating around as well

Ew poo poo, gross. He sucks at videogames AND he's a shitrooster :fuckoff:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ihmemies posted:

I don't care about immortality. The game better have something better.

I think “the game better have something better than immortality” about sums up the state of hype.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

itry posted:

It's like the marketing for this game is overseen by overly litigious lawyers. With itchy trigger fingers.

i feel its more about keeping the footage of unpatched gameplay to a minimum

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I think “the game better have something better than immortality” about sums up the state of hype.

Why would anyone want to live forever? Isn't the point of life to see the different stages and then die. Or die before your time for whatever reason. Life loses its meaning if you just keep on truckin'. Also it will probably make you a bitter rear end in a top hat with way too much wealth.

Edit: the point is that I want to play as "myself" more than as "some random grumpy old dude". I'm not that much interested in other people's stories. If I want to see stories instead of experiencing them I can watch movies instead.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 7, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Why would anyone want to live forever? Isn't the point of life to see the different stages and then die. Or die before your time for whatever reason. Life loses its meaning if you just keep on truckin'. Also it will probably make you a bitter rear end in a top hat with way too much wealth.

He was doing a joke. Not a real discussion about immortality.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

what if they make video games after you die???
how will you play the video games if you are dead!?!?!?!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the only way to find out if immortality sucks is to actually become immortal

no-one's done this yet, but elon musk and grimes and baby ampersand 17 have got some serious plans

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I'll be playing on PC, so haven't followed the console news much, but am I right in saying that if you buy Cyberpunk 2077 on your PS5 or Xbox Series X that you'll actually be buying the PS4/Xbone version and playing it through backwards compatibility? With the actual PS5/Series X version/upgrade coming next year?

Is that... Is that something that consumers are aware of? I have friends who bought a PS5 for Cyberpunk and they were not aware of this.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I have a legitimate question, but I've been avoiding all spoilers.

Is your genitalia separate from your gender?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

yes

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Boba Pearl posted:

I have a legitimate question, but I've been avoiding all spoilers.

Is your genitalia separate from your gender?

yeah

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
I think gender is determined by what voice you pick, but i don't know if that was just speculation.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hocus Pocus posted:

I'll be playing on PC, so haven't followed the console news much, but am I right in saying that if you buy Cyberpunk 2077 on your PS5 or Xbox Series X that you'll actually be buying the PS4/Xbone version and playing it through backwards compatibility? With the actual PS5/Series X version/upgrade coming next year?

Is that... Is that something that consumers are aware of? I have friends who bought a PS5 for Cyberpunk and they were not aware of this.

You're correct.

Personally, I think CDPR have done as much as they possibly can to be transparent about the fact that this is the PS4/Bone version and that the next gen upgrade is next year and coming free if you buy the game. It's not something they've attempted to hide at all.

That said, it's a pretty complicated concept to people who aren't invested in the gaming news/community bubble and I don't think there's an easy way to adequately communicate that to people who aren't that interested or knowledgeable about how this kind of thing works.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Does anyone know if there’s any synthwave or just just goddamn EDM?
Like I get it EDM has its place, but I don’t wanna listen that poo poo all the time

Radio Vexelstrom : pop/rock?
Royal blue: the icon has a saxophone, so surely the jazz radio
The Dirge: hip pop? I will be honest, I don't even know what's the difference between rap and hip hop.
Ritual FM: rock/metal
Pacific Dreams: I suspect this is your synthwave. Look at the freaking icon

and it sounded synthwavy to me.
Night FM: EDM?
Morro Rock radio: punk
30 Principales: with that name, latino.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Slugnoid posted:

I think gender is determined by what voice you pick, but i don't know if that was just speculation.

The pronouns used by people are.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Radio stuff : I hope "radio samizdat" is a mix of soviet/second world dissidents talking and listening to melancholic ballads and high energy gopniks, with some "stalker bandits" tunes in between.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
GOG preload is live...

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Pre-load on GoG is starting for me!
Seems slow.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

Hammerstein posted:

GOG preload is live...

do you need gog galaxy to preload? if not, where do I go on gog for the preload. Yes, I bought it there.

Edit: yeah, you need galaxy. Preloading now.

Wet Fifty fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 7, 2020

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

My CE will probably be delivered on Thursday or Friday. First world problem, but they should simply send out the codes in advance..

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I added some entries to the genre recommendations part of the OP.

BULBASAUR posted:

i feel its more about keeping the footage of unpatched gameplay to a minimum

That's understandable, but there's also the reported lack of review codes being given. And giving review codes so close to the release time will result in subpar reviews as people rush to compile their impressions. So that's counterproductive.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I don't know much about this game, only that it's in big hype and has been in development for a while. Not a 'hater' or anything, but having watched a stream for a while, it's looking really quite clunky and buggy. Maybe I'm watching something pre-patch, but all I see is the guy getting stuck in things, enemy AI just standing there to get shot and bugs ahoy. I really hope they fix this stuff because the game does look cool on paper. And, the atmosphere looks awesome.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Hocus Pocus posted:

I mean, I don’t know about consumers but I was aware of it. The next gen systems will benefit from better load times and rock solid frame rates for now and better graphics in the future. So I think it’s still a good idea.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

itry posted:

I added some entries to the genre recommendations part of the OP.

I'd recommend Strange Days as well. It gives off the "high tech/low life" vibe very well mixed with police corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Slugnoid posted:

Gendered words used in dialog are defined by your voice. Probably doesn't make much difference in english but in more gendered languages it will be more significant.