Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nvidia hasnt had their Cyberpunk 2077 driver update either I dont think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

Nvidia hasnt had their Cyberpunk 2077 driver update either I dont think.

Actually I think that had the Gameready ones in the last update.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cael posted:

Lol that a legit 20% of the Polygon review is JUST nitpicking the gender/genital choices and how the games doesn't go far enough addressing that part of your character.

so does kotaku to some degree but the author doesn't mind it as much and is torn on how he feels. that being said trans folk reviewers focusing on that stuff makes sense.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

jesus christ that is bad lol

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I'm looking forward to checking the game out once its next-gen upgrade patch hits, but honestly the one piece of criticism that gives me the most concern comes from Rob Zacny's review:

quote:

But while Cyberpunk has evidently given a lot of thought to how its setting would change the nature of sex and sex work, you rarely see that consideration matched with other parts of the setting. The politics of the world remain distant and hard to parse: private corporations run just about everything that used to be a public good, but how does that change daily life? You live in a world of widespread environmental devastation, but you don't get much sense of the hardship that would cause. You see people running around with all manner of augmentations, but why? The Deus Ex games at least made a point of understanding how cybernetics and enhanced prostheses would change the nature of labor, but Cyberpunk seems a bit iffy on its vision outside of the potential to turn people into living blow-up dolls.
He likes the game overall, it just sounds like a pretty good straightforward crime thing rather than a genuinely subversive exploration of the genre.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

wondering what a 2700x and an RTX 3070 will do at 1440p, but it seems like less than 30fps at RT Ultra, which isn't good enough. Guess I'm turning down some settings until this motherboard can handle a 5600x cpu.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Starks posted:

jesus christ that is bad lol

That's with ray tracing on relax

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

abraham linksys posted:

yes they're in the same toms hardware article below all the charts https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-performance-preview

Right sorry, I mean the actual ingame menu of settings.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Very top level but pretty positive from Engadget

https://www.engadget.com/cyberpunk-2077-review-170013962.html

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I know that’s why I bought a 3070

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Actually I think that had the Gameready ones in the last update.

Wasn't it just a thing that said the game played best on 3000 series cards and not actual drivers for the game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

VICE review posted:

The politics of the world remain distant and hard to parse: private corporations run just about everything that used to be a public good, but how does that change daily life? You live in a world of widespread environmental devastation, but you don't get much sense of the hardship that would cause. You see people running around with all manner of augmentations, but why?

Sounds like the worldbuilding in Ready Player One. The world is devastated, the economy is in shambles... but you can still order a pizza right to your front door!

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so does kotaku to some degree but the author doesn't mind it as much and is torn on how he feels. that being said trans folk reviewers focusing on that stuff makes sense.

If the reviewers are trans then that makes a lot of sense. And I definitely didn't want to come off in my original post as THIS IS SO STUPID WHO CARES because I know it absolutely matters to people and I don't want that to be the takeaway. It was more the comment on this is a review for what's arguable the game of 2020, everyone is going to be reading your take, and for that to be your opening part of the review was just weird.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ErrEff posted:

Sounds like the worldbuilding in Ready Player One. The world is devastated, the economy is in shambles... but you can still order a pizza right to your front door!

People act like this isn't realistic, but *waves arms at everything in the real world right now*

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

where the gently caress are the 3070s

Thats a pretty popular question these days

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

i just want to talk around night city and see some NPCs in t-pose :ohdear:
from the vice review, sounds like you might get your wish and more lol:

quote:

Cyberpunk 2077 rarely crashed for me, but parts of it broke all the time. I got in the habit of saving frequently not just as a hedge against dying, but just because I never know when I might have to exit the game and reload in the hopes that the character models will be animated when I load back in, and will stop skating around each scene like table-hockey figurines.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

I said come in! posted:

People act like this isn't realistic, but *waves arms at everything in the real world right now*

No poo poo, it's a literal viral plaugeworld in America and forests were catching on fire at random because of global warming, but I can get every place within 20 miles to send foot to my house.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Zaphod42 posted:

try to put ray tracing on me and see what happens

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

That's for rich people with RTX cards. For the rest:

Mmm I think I will have 50 fps at medium. Or 30 fps at ultra. Which also sucks.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 7, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basically turn ray-tracing off. I think all of those benchmarks are suppose to be with RT turned on, which is a gigantic performance hit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

It's ultra ray-tracing too, the game has raytracing settings below that

If it's anything like Control then medium RT might be more sensible (that gave you the fancy reflections but disabled the more subtle effects)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

We also kind of don't know what "ultra" really means. Games have often had ULTRA EXTREME NIGHTMARE settings that weren't playable on current gen hardware at high frame rates when released before, you aren't "owed" 4k120 fps on ultra even with a new graphics card.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Between this and the reports of numerous burrito vending machines, I'm starting to seriously question if Mike Judge's Idiocracy was also an influence

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Relax Or DIE posted:

try to put ray tracing on me and see what happens

lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's almost never worth it to have ultra mode turned on in games, it makes very little difference in fidelity for how gigantic of a hit you take in frame rate.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Basically turn ray-tracing off. I think all of those benchmarks are suppose to be with RT turned on, which is a gigantic performance hit.

they're not lol, the ones with RT universally applied indicate it in the title

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

Fingers crossed its a meaningful patch that fixes a lot of issues. Like Witcher 3, I am expecting lots of patches and quality of life improvements.

Has this ever happened with a big release? I really doubt that their patch for the game is going to suddenly fix all the bugs they haven't been able to fix in 5 years (including 8? months of death march).

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways I think Im going to calm down about this and let the patches roll in first. Ive gotten to this point without knowing anything more about witcher 3 than geralt fighting skeleton elves so I think Ill survive the spoilers

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Zaphod42 posted:

Cyberpunk is full of side quests including bounty hunting, car races, and just generally helping random citizens do their random life poo poo, but it conflicts with the idea that your character has a very important main story quest they should really be getting around to doing sooner than later.

Games that let you continue playing after beating the big bad are good for this reason. Complete the main quest then become the head sorcerer of the arcane academy or whatever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LGD posted:

they're not lol, the ones with RT universally applied indicate it in the title

gently caress! lol we are so screwed until the Nvidia 4000x series cards.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ErrEff posted:

its more 2000AD than clines bullshit. poo poo is awful and even worse outside of the city. but insane decadance and regular stuff life still exists. poundsmiths cyberpunk has always been very 2000AD dredd type stuff.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

yikes, so is my 580 really going to struggle doing 1080p that hard?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
This is bad guys. This is really bad. This is mass effect andromeda all over again. No wonder they banned footage from being shown before release they didn't want to get memed into oblivion like bioware did.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Brownie posted:

Has this ever happened with a big release? I really doubt that their patch for the game is going to suddenly fix all the bugs they haven't been able to fix in 5 years (including 8? months of death march).

Reports and conditions replicated by millions of users can point you to bugs you never knew they existed with a year of internal testing, in theory.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Brownie posted:

I expect PC on release to be buggy in a normal sense of "you can see weird poo poo sometimes" with the day 1 patch, like has been true of every big open game worth a poo poo ever.

I expect last gen consoles to be pretty dang rough, and next-gen consoles to be better mainly in that they can brute force through some bad optimizations or whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sean10mm posted:

We also kind of don't know what "ultra" really means. Games have often had ULTRA EXTREME NIGHTMARE settings that weren't playable on current gen hardware at high frame rates when released before, you aren't "owed" 4k120 fps on ultra even with a new graphics card.

I said come in! posted:

It's almost never worth it to have ultra mode turned on in games, it makes very little difference in fidelity for how gigantic of a hit you take in frame rate.

Yeah I was about to say, Ultra for a brand new game is often a little bit future-proofed, it usually involves jacking texture sizes up 2X on everything to a point where you basically can't even tell the difference, but your GPU struggles.

Future GPUs with 32GB RAM will have no issue so you can go Ultra later on, but for now High settings are probably gonna look nearly identical.

Glimm posted:

Games that let you continue playing after beating the big bad are good for this reason. Complete the main quest then become the head sorcerer of the arcane academy or whatever.

Yeah generally that's my favorite answer, although depending upon how epic your finale is, it may not really make any plausible sense.

Although a couple games have gone so far as to have the game take you back to right before the final mission after you beat the final mission for that reason.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This is bad guys. This is really bad. This is mass effect andromeda all over again. No wonder they banned footage from being shown before release they didn't want to get memed into oblivion like bioware did.

I wouldn't go that far!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

(Looks at 91 on Metacritic)

LMAO nope

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Turin Turambar posted:

That's for rich people with RTX cards. For the rest:

Mmm I think I will have 50 fps at medium. Or 30 fps at ultra. Which also sucks.

so the rx 590 should let me play the game at 30 fps at high in 1920x1080?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lastdancer posted:

Between this and the reports of numerous burrito vending machines, I'm starting to seriously question if Mike Judge's Idiocracy was also an influence

The Aesthetic sure is very Idiocracy, even more than as much as they both have some similar future cyberpunky looks. That ultra corporate big bold lettering thing feels very idiocracy to me. Good callout.