Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

FCKGW posted:

Can I do this for the entire show though and not one season?

Huh - seems like you can’t! Would be worth sending them a feature request on Twitter. They are pretty responsive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grimmeh posted:

Huh - seems like you can’t! Would be worth sending them a feature request on Twitter. They are pretty responsive.

Thanks, I'll try reaching out. I shuffle episodes of The Office or King of the Hill when I go to bed so not having that feature is a big deal for me.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Does anyone else have an issue with Netflix programs being too dark on their Apple TV?

I've had a TCL 55S405 55" Roku TV for about a few years, and this fall I picked up an Apple TV 4K. I'm enjoying the Apple TV, but one issue I'm having is that the Netflix original shows and movies are extremely dark. I was trying to watch the Haunting of Bly Manor recently, and it was so dark I was having trouble seeing what was happening.

I did some Googling and I figured out how to disable the crappy HDR on my low-end TCL TV with the secret menu. It did help some because now I can watch these programs on the built-in Roku and they look fine. However they are still dark on my Apple TV. I can only figure that it's the Dolbyvision.

My Apple TV settings are on 4K SDR 60Hz with Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate both set to "on". My TV settings were the same for both these pictures with normal picture mode and normal brightness.

TCL Built-in Roku

Apple TV 4K

Would a better HDMI cable help? Just to reiterate, I'm only having this issue with Netflix. All the other streaming apps look perfectly fine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Big rumor about tomorrow..

https://twitter.com/L0vetodream/status/1335983581324169216

Apple may announce a sixth-gen AppleTV tomorrow, likely A12X or A14 based

There are reports that Apple is telling their support staff to get ready to support a new product tomorrow too

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Big rumor about tomorrow..

https://twitter.com/L0vetodream/status/1335983581324169216

Apple may announce a sixth-gen AppleTV tomorrow, likely A12X or A14 based

There are reports that Apple is telling their support staff to get ready to support a new product tomorrow too
Will buy new ATV in a heartbeat if true.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Will buy new ATV in a heartbeat if true.

I have a Apple TV HD that has been giving us some slight issues recently so I would upgrade my 4K one that we just hooked up to an OLED with a new one in a heartbeat too.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Maybe this is part of the reason the VP9 roll-out was such a mess. Apple don't like rolling out new firmware updates ahead of a hardware refresh. Should help with the AV1 transition, too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If Tim goes on stage and says "It's the exact same thing you already have except the remote isn't hot garbage and no the new remote isn't backwards compatible" I'll order two.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If Tim goes on stage and says "It's the exact same thing you already have except the remote isn't hot garbage and no the new remote isn't backwards compatible" I'll order two.
Make it charge through USB-C just to sell some more cables.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What I'm saying is I love my apple tv but I curse the ghost of Steve Jobs every time I have to find and then use that horrible, terrible, not very good remote.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I feel like oversimplified design like that is on Ive, and he's thankfully on another continent at this point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not sure what additional power to the Apple TV would really do, unless there actually are people using it to play games on (something I've always presumed is a very, very small market).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’d imagine it’d be a processor upgrade that’ll last for another 8 years or whatever to prepare for high refresh rate 4K content (?).

And also please a new remote because holy gently caress. While I’ve come to terms with mine and use a sideclick it’s still a motherfucker.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not sure what additional power to the Apple TV would really do, unless there actually are people using it to play games on (something I've always presumed is a very, very small market).
It's probably just a refresh out of convenience than anything else so they can stop manufacturing the old chips. 2020 has probably cleared out their inventory anyway.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Drat, I just bought a 4K on Black Friday. Ah well, I can return it though it’s hard to imagine what they’ll do to improve it. I’ve made my peace with the remote.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’d appreciate a remote redesign that makes it easier to orient and not lose so easily but I honestly love the touch pad.

Every time I’m at someone else’s house or have to use the Roku remote, I wish I could scroll around more quickly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Watch them introduce a new remote with a classic iPod-style scroll wheel.

poo poo I might like that more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have no idea what they could add that would be worth it, and I will 100% be getting it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I can never find the drat remote so just always use my phone :haw:

I would like some new homekit hub features from a new ATV as well, like building scenes with devices that don’t directly support them like the ikea tradfri bulbs.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I just have minor hiccups that cause me to have to power-cycle it and/or my TV and I’m hoping a new version has fewer of those.

And the remote gets wonky sometimes

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just got a 4K OLED TV that is highly rated in many categories, but the low-key best feature is that its remote can control the Apple TV without line of sight (not sure why it works exacly, the "eARC" HDMI input maybe?).

I tolerate the Apple remote but my wife haaaaaaates it. And the touchpad is admittedly terrible when used with YouTube TV. So basically, if you wanna keep your ATV out of sight and have a mute button, buy a $2000 TV.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a sonos soundbar that kinda sorta works ok and a homepod based one to replace it that just works with the tv remote or better yet controlled over the hdmi would be great. The sonos just has an optical in and an IR and it never seems that responsive to the remote inputs. It works, but eventually.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

jokes posted:

Watch them introduce a new remote with a classic iPod-style scroll wheel.

poo poo I might like that more.

If the remote was literally a 5th gen iPod that you used to scroll through media, that would be too cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Minidust posted:

Just got a 4K OLED TV that is highly rated in many categories, but the low-key best feature is that its remote can control the Apple TV without line of sight (not sure why it works exacly, the "eARC" HDMI input maybe?).
This is an HDMI-CEC thing. eARC is the updated version of ARC that allows uncompressed sound to be sent over the ARC connection, and requires HDMI 2.1 which your AppleTV does not have.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's me, the only person on Earth who really likes the Apple TV remote. I'm sorry, this is all my fault.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

EL BROMANCE posted:

This will finally be the year gaming on Apple devices takes off! :haw:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fedule posted:

It's me, the only person on Earth who really likes the Apple TV remote. I'm sorry, this is all my fault.
Hand in your gun and mod badge.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just bought an ATV 4K on Black Friday too but I guess I'll just start the return process right away since I don't need it right now. I wonder how they deal with the $50 gift card that they sent me since I've already redeemed it into my account.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I thought I read somewhere that Apple Arcade games need to be able to run on the Apple TV 4K or at the very least they really would prefer if it did, so I'm guessing this is going to be part of it. I dunno what hardware is in the ATV 4K but I'm assuming it's ancient and outdated by now.

I hate the remote control as well but I love the voice button on it. Whenever I'm in the living room with my housemate's Roku I miss being able to say rewind/skip/turn off etc. It would be cool if they could add a mic to the new ATV to enable always-on voice command. I mean, they already have the HomePods so it's not like they don't have experience with it.

I could see them putting in one of those directional chips whatever they're called that could sense where HomePods were placed for better audio.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just bought an ATV 4K on Black Friday too but I guess I'll just start the return process right away since I don't need it right now. I wonder how they deal with the $50 gift card that they sent me since I've already redeemed it into my account.

I thought I read somewhere that Apple Arcade games need to be able to run on the Apple TV 4K or at the very least they really would prefer if it did, so I'm guessing this is going to be part of it. I dunno what hardware is in the ATV 4K but I'm assuming it's ancient and outdated by now.

I hate the remote control as well but I love the voice button on it. Whenever I'm in the living room with my housemate's Roku I miss being able to say rewind/skip/turn off etc. It would be cool if they could add a mic to the new ATV to enable always-on voice command. I mean, they already have the HomePods so it's not like they don't have experience with it.

I could see them putting in one of those directional chips whatever they're called that could sense where HomePods were placed for better audio.

I can’t play The Pathless on my appletv HD.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just bought a new ATV 4k after the keynote where they didn't announce anything :owned:

Luckily I got it from Costco so I got 90 days to return.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Boris Galerkin posted:

For me they discounted the TV by €50 and added the gift card on the bill. So you can probably only return the gift card if you haven’t redeemed it yet but you should be able to use it to buy stuff like the new TV anyway

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Some cold water. :negative:

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1336053070367744004

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

sonatinas posted:

I can’t play The Pathless on my appletv HD.

I tried it on my ipad pro and was extremely underwhelmed. It might just be me getting old or something but there are so few games on apple arcade that hold my attention it’s kind of a bummer. It’s a great platform just.. ehh.

My kids and I have a blast playing sneaky sasquatch on Appletv though so worth it right there (in apple one bundle anyway)

Violator
May 15, 2003

ufarn posted:

Some cold water. :negative:

I think Jon Prosser has been wrong more than he's right and L0vetodream has been vague but right about everything I think.

Fedule posted:

I really like it, too. I never lose it, always set it down in the same few places and orientation so I never pick it up wrong, and I think the scroll and voice controls are a wonder of modern technology. :blush:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I would get one new Apple TV in a heart beat , the Apple TV 4 is def showing it’s age (my other one is a 4K and seems fine).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This was probably the teased announcement:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1336303431452151812

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Oh well, it *is* a new product...

For $549 it better serve me breakfast in the morning..

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm used to outrageous Apple prices but that is even outrageous for them.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Whole lot of people not aware of how much people pay for headphones. Not that I'm defending this but lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

jabro posted:

I'm used to outrageous Apple prices but that is even outrageous for them.

Audio equipment that is... expensive? Unheard of!