Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

Not being snarky: are you being literal, or is this just a way of saying "I don't care that much about graphics?" Because I don't understand how it's medically possible to not be able to see the difference between the two! Even people with poor eyesight should be able to see motion!

Popete pretty much covered it. In a side-by-side video, I can tell the difference. The moment you take away the comparison though, I genuinely can't tell.

Here's an example - I played Bloodborne before on the base PS4 in 30fps. I was watching a friend play it on a PS4 Pro. I was thinking it looked smoother than when I played it and I asked, wide-eyed, 'hey, is this 60fps?'. Except....it wasn't lol, it was 30fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

black.lion posted:

All these leaky opinions and still I have no idea what stat I'm supposed to pump to make my neon katana go snicker snack

Can’t. You need a vorpal katana, not a neon one. It drops from the Jub-jub bird hunt.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Multiple reviews, positive and negative, have stated that the Cyberpunk aspect of the game is just an aesthetic, and that the narrative does not explore any deep or interesting questions. It's a crime/heist narrative with a cyberpunk window dressing. There were about 3 separate reviews that actually said Deus Ex did a better job exploring post-human themes which is a bit disappointing.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Akarshi posted:

Popete pretty much covered it. In a side-by-side video, I can tell the difference. The moment you take away the comparison though, I genuinely can't tell.

Here's an example - I played Bloodborne before on the base PS4 in 30fps. I was watching a friend play it on a PS4 Pro. I was thinking it looked smoother than when I played it and I asked, wide-eyed, 'hey, is this 60fps?'. Except....it wasn't lol, it was 30fps.

Pretty sure Bloodborne on base PS4 was running at less than 30fps then lol

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Nice, my standards are even lower than I thought. 20fps performance, no sweat!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Megasabin posted:

Multiple reviews, positive and negative, have stated that the Cyberpunk aspect of the game is just an aesthetic, and that the narrative does not explore any deep or interesting questions. It's a crime/heist narrative with a cyberpunk window dressing. There were about 3 separate reviews that actually said Deus Ex did a better job exploring post-human themes which is a bit disappointing.

I read several reviews that made this sort of point even while also saying there were too many things going on in terms of characters/organizations/background text and they just started tuning it out. Basically I don't trust like that

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Megasabin posted:

Maybe they'll do more of it in side quests as opposed to the AAA main story? Don't get me wrong, I am bummed for sure, but maybe the depth needs to be explored a bit more than the speed run the reviewers are doing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The Grumbles posted:

Thoughts RE people bemoaning the criticisms of gratuity/sex stuff - sounds like this game has problems! It's disappointing to hear that the game doesn't tread the line well enough thematically. Like, I get that the setting and tabletop game are an incredibly broad brush, but edginess - and what constitutes Having Something To Say, isn't really just something you can copy and paste from the 80's. So I get why people like Jeff Gerstmann feel weird that it's just dicks and tits with no nuance. This is already an update from the original pen and paper RPG in terms of technology, bringing it into 2020 - why not update the writing and craft to today's standard too?

edit: I'd still be curious to play it though. Might wait for a sale.

Waiting for a big open world game to get a few patches under its belt is never dumb if you have the patience for it.

Like HZD PC got patched into being a real good game, but on release it was like 1/3 people doing fine 2/3 people having lots of poo poo to put up with.

Jeff is the kind of guy who gives generic :911::jerkbag: milshooters higher scores than Death Stranding though so he's totally not on my wavelength at all.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Megasabin posted:

I was really impressed by Human Revolution, at the time. Like it's got a bit of big budget video game clunkiness, but it was really interesting to play a big budget video game essentially about disability.

I guess the question for Cyberpunk then becomes why bother setting your game in a dystopia if you're not actually going to use it well? The whole point of the genre is to explore big heady questions about the nature of consciousness and self and whatever. Which Deus Ex did pretty well!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The Grumbles posted:

Thoughts RE people bemoaning the criticisms of gratuity/sex stuff - sounds like this game has problems! It's disappointing to hear that the game doesn't tread the line well enough thematically. Like, I get that the setting and tabletop game are an incredibly broad brush, but edginess - and what constitutes Having Something To Say, isn't really just something you can copy and paste from the 80's. So I get why people like Jeff Gerstmann feel weird that it's just dicks and tits with no nuance. This is already an update from the original pen and paper RPG in terms of technology, bringing it into 2020 - why not update the writing and craft to today's standard too?

edit: I'd still be curious to play it though. Might wait for a sale.

Why is having something to say capitalized?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

I was really impressed by Human Revolution, at the time. Like it's got a bit of big budget video game clunkiness, but it was really interesting to play a big budget video game essentially about disability.

I guess the question for Cyberpunk then becomes why bother setting your game in a dystopia if you're not actually going to use it well? The whole point of the genre is to explore big heady questions about the nature of consciousness and self and whatever. Which Deus Ex did pretty well!

Because they wanted the aesthetics.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Zaphod42 posted:

Reflex and Body. Reflex will get you more crit and body more stamina. Originally blades were on Reflex but they may have moved the skill tree, but you probably won't want to completely min/max just one stat by design because of the passive bonuses

You are a god among men!!! I was hoping that both body and reflex would have an effect because I really want my first playthru to be swordy but I want to do a high-body playthru later with gorilla arms and it would have been stupid if I was speccing the same way for both of those playthroughs so hooray game saved

This also works in that I want my first playthru to have some guns n poo poo too yay reflex!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

When I was a youngin I always had an FPS counter on and I could definitely tell when it was 30 fps VS 60 fps (and not just because of the counter).

The last decade as I've gotten older and stopped caring (and stopped running a Counter), I definitely didn't really notice a difference between 30, 45, and 60. It all looked good enough to me. Then I got a 2060 last month and started running a counter just to see how well it runs things and now I've started to be able to notice when it dips again :ohdear:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megasabin posted:

again. pondsmiths cyberpunk isnt gibson and co. its 2000AD but made by an american. critics don't seem to understand that. too each their own but the universe itself was never nuanced and much like shadowrun never had a storyline per say.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Waiting for a big open world game to get a few patches under its belt is never dumb if you have the patience for it.

Like HZD PC got patched into being a real good game, but on release it was like 1/3 people doing fine 2/3 people having lots of poo poo to put up with.

Jeff is the kind of guy who gives generic :jerkbag: milshooters higher scores than Death Stranding though so he's totally not on my wavelength at all.

Not to get too off-topic but as people are talking about Jeff G's reactions to this, I feel like his taste gets misunderstood. I think he just likes games that feel authentic to what they are - like he's a big fan of a certain era of game because they come from a time where it felt like games were being made with a certain attitude ot just wanting to make something rad or cool. A lot of modern games, for better or for worse, feel super market-tested, or at least published with a degree of cynicism. I think he just doesn't like when a game reaches for a certain tone/aesthetic superficially, whereas Call of Duty games know exactly what they are. I don't think I'm explaining myself too well but hopefully you get what I mean.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Why is having something to say capitalized?

I feel like you know the answer but are asking anyway. I'm sorry if you find it annoying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Super dumb question not exactly limited to CP2077. Is the save synced to some cloud so I can play the same save on PC and on GeForceNow or would those be completely separate?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I used to never be able to tell anything above 30 fps but I've been playing Overwatch at 120 fps for a few years and now my eyes protest at anything sub-100

My 2070S gonna be playing this game on low settings 1440p just to satisfy my fps snobbery

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A modest proposal: once you're detected, make combat turn-based to get around the performance issues.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The Last Call posted:

I remember when a single gig was massive.

Hell I remember when I only had a 80 gig HD and thought it would take care of anything.

Those were the times.

*Pats his 5 TB collection of SDD's and NVME's.*

I remember being excited when my parents got a computer that had enough storage for me to do FULL INSTALLS of videogames. Wow, I don't need to swap discs to play Baldur's Gate!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Not to get too off-topic but as people are talking about Jeff G's reactions to this, I feel like his taste gets misunderstood. I think he just likes games that feel authentic to what they are - like he's a big fan of a certain era of game because they come from a time where it felt like games were being made with a certain attitude ot just wanting to make something rad or cool. A lot of modern games, for better or for worse, feel super market-tested, or at least published with a degree of cynicism. I think he just doesn't like when a game reaches for a certain tone/aesthetic superficially, whereas Call of Duty games know exactly what they are. I don't think I'm explaining myself too well but hopefully you get what I mean.

For emphasis. I feel like you know the answer but are asking anyway. I'm sorry if you find it annoying.

Jeff is also a child of the days when “games just worked” so he’s pretty harsh on technical issues and bugs. He’s also been going off lately about things like performance options making their way into console games because he feels like you should just open up the game and have the experience “intended”, for better or worse.

I guess I’m just saying he’s not the guy who’s going to be on board with a “patches are coming” outlook, it was the same core criticism he has of all the Bethesda games.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Super dumb question not exactly limited to CP2077. Is the save synced to some cloud so I can play the same save on PC and on GeForceNow or would those be completely separate?

GeforceNow still uses your account credentials for services so theoretically it would be the same GOG/Steam cloud save

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

black.lion posted:

I used to never be able to tell anything above 30 fps but I've been playing Overwatch at 120 fps for a few years and now my eyes protest at anything sub-100

My 2070S gonna be playing this game on low settings 1440p just to satisfy my fps snobbery

I've been debating upgrading from my 1440p60hz monitor to a 120 or 144hz monitor next year but ugh that's the trappings I want to avoid lol.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ufarn posted:

A modest proposal: once you're detected, make combat turn-based to get around the performance issues.

More games should implement EVE Online's time dilation

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

again. pondsmiths cyberpunk isnt gibson and co. its 2000AD but made by an american. critics don't seem to understand that. too each their own but the universe itself was never nuanced and much like shadowrun never had a storyline per say.

It doesn't really matter though, does it? If critics are finding this specific Cyberpunk setting bad and stupid, then if this game slavishly adheres to a bad and stupid setting it doesn't nullify their complaints.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I've been debating upgrading from my 1440p60hz monitor to a 120 or 144hz monitor next year but ugh that's the trappings I want to avoid lol.

Dude seriously it's so good you can't go back, so don't do it lmao it can't be undone

Manage your face's expectations

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Grumbles posted:

It doesn't really matter though, does it? If critics are finding this specific Cyberpunk setting bad and stupid, then if this game slavishly adheres to a bad and stupid setting it doesn't nullify their complaints.

No. But equally, if you complain about wine not being bread, you're not wrong, it's not, but it's also not a very useful criticism. The question is, are they finding bad on its own terms, or is it that they wanted the game to be something else entirely?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Akarshi posted:

To be fair BB on PS4 dropped frames like a motherfucker, so its more like PS4 was 20-28 fps and the PS4 Pro is 30fps, so you probably did still notice the frame rate being improved your bar is just much lower.

If you're used to 30fps its easy to not mind it, but playing dark souls in 60fps your eyes just follow the action and speedy motion so much easier. Everything is blurry at 30fps you just don't realize it if you're used to it.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

black.lion posted:

Dude seriously it's so good you can't go back, so don't do it lmao it can't be undone

Manage your face's expectations

It's pretty nuts for sure. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do, but especially in FPS games you really notice the smoothing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Megasabin posted:

It would be pretty funny if CD Projekt hosed up the storytelling aspect of the game while everybody was fearing it's the gameplay that's at risk because of course the story has to be deep after TW3.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

Jeff is also a child of the days when “games just worked”

What days were those lol? I sure as hell can't think of any jankless times in gaming.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

black.lion posted:

You are a god among men!!! I was hoping that both body and reflex would have an effect because I really want my first playthru to be swordy but I want to do a high-body playthru later with gorilla arms and it would have been stupid if I was speccing the same way for both of those playthroughs so hooray game saved

This also works in that I want my first playthru to have some guns n poo poo too yay reflex!

The good news about Cyberpunk is there's WAAAAY more skills than they hinted at in earlier previews.

Even if 3 goons were to all decide to build a character around Body, they could likely all come away with completely different skills and zero overlap in their build. There's that many options and priorities to be made.

This is a game where even if you do every side-quest you won't be able to get every perk.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

My V has a vagina and goes by “he,” but the game doesn’t seem to acknowledge that he’s a trans man; characters occasionally make reference to his dick or balls, though this could just as easily be metaphorical. In some scenes with hireable sex workers of different genders, I appeared to penetrate them—certainly possible, but with no indication that my character doesn’t have a biological dick. At one point a character made mention of the “mess” that is my V’s hormones, but I’m not sure if this is a reference to his body or something that would be said anyway.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

VanillaGorilla posted:

Jeff is also a child of the days when “games just worked” so he’s pretty harsh on technical issues and bugs. He’s also been going off lately about things like performance options making their way into console games because he feels like you should just open up the game and have the experience “intended”, for better or worse.

I guess I’m just saying he’s not the guy who’s going to be on board with a “patches are coming” outlook, it was the same core criticism he has of all the Bethesda games.

I mean he poo poo on Witcher 3 so he's not on the same wavelength as people excited by the prospect of CDPR making another CDPR style RPG.

This doesn't make him a lovely critic, but a guy who hates what you like will probably not help you tell if the new thing is more of what you like or not, except perhaps indirectly if their criticisms just sound lame to you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

no but its more where are they coming from. is it "the setting is uniquely bad on its own terms" or "its not what i wanted" because some of this stuff reads like that latter rather than the former. to each their own, all reviews are subjective as they should be, but that also means i can point out how dumb they are from my point of view.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I'm fine with bugs (assuming there's nothing game-breaking) and a fairly shallow setting so long as the game is engrossing and enjoyable to play, which it sounds like it is. Looking forward to Thursday.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

When I was a youngin I always had an FPS counter on and I could definitely tell when it was 30 fps VS 60 fps (and not just because of the counter).

The last decade as I've gotten older and stopped caring (and stopped running a Counter), I definitely didn't really notice a difference between 30, 45, and 60. It all looked good enough to me. Then I got a 2060 last month and started running a counter just to see how well it runs things and now I've started to be able to notice when it dips again :ohdear:

Note that if you don't have gsync/freesync, and you have vsync on, then if you aren't running 60 then you're running 30. Vsync cannot render a consistent 40fps, you'll be toggling between 60 and 30.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

ehhhhh, it kind of does

fairly big difference between criticisms directed at genuine deficiencies of the source material/world building vs. expressions of frustration that something doesn't conform to expectations

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I mean he poo poo on Witcher 3 so he's not on the same wavelength as people excited by the prospect of CDPR making another CDPR style RPG.

This doesn't make him a lovely critic, but a guy who hates what you like will probably not help you tell if the new thing is more of what you like or not, except perhaps indirectly if their criticisms just sound lame to you.

he is alot like rich evans and jack from RLM when they did games. they have a set idea of what a good game is and it doesn't fit with alot of what they grew up with or whats easy to sit down and play so they don't always care for it. all are good critics though somewhat.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Palpek posted:

It would be pretty funny if CD Projekt hosed up the storytelling aspect of the game while everybody was fearing it's the gameplay that's at risk because of course the story has to be deep after TW3.

Actually from the reviews I've read, it seems like the strong points are the same strong points from TW3 - good main characters, for the most part, and good main/side quest design. A lot of the world design and activities seem to have not evolved a lot from TW3. It's big and often pretty, but it's not necessarily a world that is good at being a living/breathing/dynamic place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

More games should implement EVE Online's time dilation

Basically all PS2 games did and it feels awful, nah, you don't actually want this lol